Memory usage

How much RAM are you using? We 7.1/16GB here.
If I restart these programs, the RAM usage usually goes back down by hundreds of MB. Which makes me think they straight-up don't delete shit from memory once it's allocated, even if you close it. Does this qualify as memory leak, or just the fucked up era we live in?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Profile_on_RAM
kodewithklossy.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wew

(heil'd)

it's the best

A little over 1 GB, but most of that is a RAM disk. Lynx is using about 18 MB.

id it's good enough for geohot...

distro and DE?

2.3 of 32GB

Yeah, sure.

OK, I need to know this you pig disgusting tab glutton. Why the fuck do you have this many tabs open?
Do you just keep tabs open instead of bookmarking them?
Are they google searches you forgot to clean?
How does a man actually make use of 200 fucking tabs?

Lets say you casually browse your favorite boards and you open up 5 threads, then some time passes and those threads become popular and get hundreds of replies and become pretty good. But you don't really take the time to read them so you look at the boards again and open up 5 new threads that seem promising. This cycles repeats itself and also applies to good pictures/links you come across.

Then you get remorse and regret if you think about closing those tabs, especially if they 404'd. Soon enough your memory usage goes to 96% and your browser crashes and those good threads you never took time to read are lost forever. It's a special kind of hell for autismos.

Just read faster

ECC 32G/32G

Why can't GNU have as nice of a resource monitoring tool as Windows?

I set up a userscript. I press ,q and the current tab has its URL and title added to a text file, after which it's closed.
Some day I'll start restoring things from the file. Until that day, my autism is soothed.

You're fucking retarded. Focus on one thread at a time. You actually choose to retard yourself and this makes you a massive cuck.

Nobody cares to write one that works like Windows. Are you willing to invest into this?

one window for work, one for school, six windows for various research and study areas, and one for 8ch/shitposting. Most of it is longass articles I slowly read. I'd probably get through them a lot faster if I didn't shitpost as compulsively.

Why is Windows 10 still catching up to where KDE was a decade ago?

???
this ->
Looks really bad in comparison tbh

I never understood this. Do browsers not use virtual memory? It seems like the obvious choice would be to unload everything to the disk past a certain point. It's not like there's an excuse when 99 out of 100 tabs aren't even on the screen. Or is that what's happening? Do task manager stats include virtual memory, or are browsers just retarded?

they already do, that's what the disk and memory caches are for. only they do the opposite of what your thinking. they not only keep all the tabs in memory, they keep another copy of all their content also in memory and disk cache. this should save on network bandwidth only it never does because the browser will always download all the content of the page every single time no matter what is in your cache. and then there's guide's and scripts that take that disk cache and stick that in ram too. so you have the page in memory in the tab, all it's content in the browsers ram cache, and all it's content in the browsers disk cache, which is also in ram.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Profile_on_RAM

Browsers don't use virtual memory swap space is different, I am talking about over-allocating except for the javascript garbage collector. If you turn off javascript and the UI isn't a peice of shit like mozilla's then its stable. Use palemoon or icecat you faggots.

Nice bloat faggot.

What process managers are out there that look good for linux/unix/gnu? Top, ptop, lxtask, and qps look like shit. Any others?

the ephemeral nature of imagboards means you often miss out on cool breads and/or posts becasue the next time you load the thread it 404s or posts in the thread have been deleted.

Naw, Windows Prefetches frequently used data in RAM for performance reasons. RAM usage at idle will always be around 20 percent of total available memory. Without prefetch memory usage would probably be much lower

The reason GNU/Linux doesn't have such aggressive prefetch is probably because the prefetcher is patented by Microsoft

it's probably because prefetch is bloat.
linux cache's disk read's in ram, it's postfetch.

why would I want the OS tracking everything I do trying and failing to anticipate my future IO needs and causing constant IO in the process. surely micropoo doesn't send any of these prefetch data in telemetry.

The prefetcher is run at boot-time and retrieves data from its trace folder that passively creates data traces as applications are ran. And only a minute of program use is actually traced because the whole point is to start applications faster so the application itself can take over and load assets into memory

systat (openbsd)

You're supposed to focus on one thread at a time you attention deficit nigger.

Trisquel 7 with Mate rolled from base install.

Actually this:
>>>/lv/1656

why would you need anything else besides 8?
running a fucking server farm?
unless you do dont waste money

That requires actually competent and worthwhile developers, and that type do shit for money to pay bills and live instead of freetarding.

It's like you faggots have a fetish or something.

You can easily disable superfetch prefreching in Windows services. And linux swappiness is even worse performance because it's dependant on the disk not ram.

Good number of tabs open on firefox and some tmux stuff with documents for class open in vi.

load averages: 0.12, 0.41, 0.33 de 19:12:31
44 processes: 42 idle, 2 on processor up 2 days, 23:11
CPU0 states: 2.4% user, 0.0% nice, 1.0% system, 3.6% interrupt, 93.0% idle
CPU1 states: 25.7% user, 0.0% nice, 9.8% system, 0.0% interrupt, 64.5% idle
CPU2 states: 6.8% user, 0.0% nice, 1.2% system, 0.0% interrupt, 92.0% idle
CPU3 states: 27.3% user, 0.0% nice, 13.0% system, 0.0% interrupt, 59.7% idle
Memory: Real: 1471M/2597M act/tot Free: 5257M Cache: 698M Swap: 0K/8353M

PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE WAIT TIME CPU COMMAND
47382 bt 34 0 970M 911M onproc/1 - 157:12 57.52% firefox
71452 bt 2 0 522M 437M sleep/0 poll 97:31 15.14% firefox
81363 _x11 2 0 35M 142M sleep/2 select 185:27 2.15% Xorg
81311 bt 2 0 339M 230M sleep/0 poll 0:52 0.05% firefox
76931 _sndio 2 -20 500K 1248K sleep/1 poll 10:24 0.00% sndiod

The people who write javascript """code""" think computers are just magic black boxes anyway.

that's clearly ruby you LARPing nigger

total used free shared buffers cachedMem: 3111356 2280568 830788 227128 133804 869548-/+ buffers/cache: 1277216 1834140Swap: 5099516 109968 4989548

I was expecting my RAM usage to be much higher, but I think that this is a side effect of me switching from chrome canary to pale moon. My RAM use is basically what it is when I have chrome turned off... Only 5.2/16 here.

Am I get memed on or did Drybones finally finish that? Last I saw was a long time ago when it was in beta and not really working.

Running 350 MB with firefox open and 109MB on i3 gentoo hardened.
Is there any advice you can give me?

That picture isn't real, right?

kodewithklossy.com/
It's very real. You've gotta be quick to see it though. I also find it hilarious that her site is composed entirely of Javascript.

Klossy's 'Kode'