LibreBoot service

"By Holla Forums, For Holla Forums"

Me and a few buddies wanted to make a mail-order service to libreboot computers. We'll have a PO Box and accept bitcoin. I've already librebooted 6 X200's, 2 X60T's, and one T500. I only have an X60 tablet and X200 still if anyone wants proof.

We don't have a name yet for our buisness. Right now we're thinking to charge $100 with no price of shipping. How does this sound?

strawpoll.me/14543550

We'll make a website too, and it'll be transparent incase you're afraid we're CIANiggers trying to install tracking devices on your comps.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

minifree.org/
libreboot.org/docs/install/t500_external.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hi nsa

into the trash it goes

tbh if i would go through the trouble of librebooting my shit i'd probably do it myself, the package could easily be intercepted by cia niggers

I'll do it for 60, postage included.

How is that possible? Even if you used a file-syncing program like Syncthing to check that a computer has the same firmware as the git repo, the program could conceivably be tampered with and given false data if the modifiers know what they're doing.

Well, we;ll disclose our process and not be doing weird shit like having you mail it to India or shit. We'll try to work out a ctypto-hash system. Our purpose for doing this is that we find mini-free to be overpriced in their service for librebooting computers. If you have more advice for making a transparent service, by all means share it. We're willing to take ideas.

How do you trust big companies to be fair though? Like, (((dell))), (((apple))), etc.

I'll do it for $59

just record your brown hands messing with the hardware we've sent

REDDIT SPACING
Wew. Someone here has zionist genes, uh?

Glow in the dark here. Nice idea guys, we'll just interdict it during the shipping process.

I'll do it for $0 but I keep your files

Cheaper than minifree.org/

Our thinking behind it is that Mini-Free offers their services for nearly $300 USD. Offering our services for $100 with no shipping fees would be a significant improvement which would also result in profit.

We are all white :)

Joking aside, if you can do it cheaper that's good enough for others needing a libreboot service but there is a rise of laptops disabling the Intel's ME and creating your own computer/laptop.

Yeah, we're just trying to make a bit of money on the side. We think we won't get swamped and charging $100 per order will give us at least $300 a month or so. We're going to be like Web 1.0 websites still shilled on Usenet to replace VCR parts. Niche market, bt we get by.

Web 1.0 as in just plain html?
A bit of css css3 has some cool animations you can do doesn't hurt.

Well what I meant by that is the culture of it. On Usenet, you have mom-and-pop mail-order shops on the internet since 1996 and still going. It's impossible that they take in an income doing it, but it's niche to a hobby market so they keep on treding.

I will give you an advice how to libreboot your PC for $15 with equipment from China, and this advice is free.
I think people would be more interested and willing to pay for coreboot/bios mods, ME removal on non-Thinkpad boards or tricky soldering operations performed by skilled people, like librebooting X200 Tablet.
Also, OP, do you at least offer one-three-three-seven custom GRUB theme and payloads like Tetris or hidden encryption container? Plain Libreboot is boring, it can't even boot into Windows XP.
I have no idea how would someone concerned perform this kind of audit if they are already too unskilled to install libreboot.

A lot of people choose to just pay a bit of a fee to just outsource the work. Nothing inherently wrong with that. We're simply providing a service people can choose to use.

Heh. Hadn't thought of that. We can offer a full HD encrypt and new OS install if you want. We haven't really thought about things like that yet. We can totally make some Libreboot themes if you people want them over defaults.

Again, back to my first point but we're not trying to be dishonest here. We just want to be fair. We'll try to be as transparent as possible, but as I said previously in this thread we're open to ideas on how to do this.

Does the process include porting libreboot to my mobo?

No, we're just offering putting Libreboot onto compatible models. We're not forking it or anything, all we're doing is charging you to flash your bios for you, for convienence.

I can go to my local repair shop and ask them to flash any firmware on my bios for 30 bucks. What's the point of you doing it? If you are going to make a website, start with publicizing a good instruction guide.

Well, we're just hobbiests trying to help out. And in my personal experience, local repair shops often are inept because their primary purpose is to sell you either new computers, Windows "Cleaner" software, or cell phones. I would not expect most of them to even know what LibreBoot is.

Minifree offers this service, and we're trying to simply be that but cheaper.

Maybe in your 56%ian flyover village, yes. Not in my country. But I was talking about competent repairmen, least example is Louis Rossmann, though he might not know what libreboot is, he is definitely capable of using firmware programmer.

All we are is a mail-order service to flash libreboot onto your computer. If you think $100 is too much, tell us a more decent price

I don't trust them. Isn't that why we're here?

People on ebay do it for 50.

Make some bash scripts to iterate through a selected device's firmware and check that the code in the corresponding files matches with libreboot's git repo. Add them to Tinycore Linux and upload it as a complete ISO, to be run as a live environment.
Rip off the code used to find devices for installation in Archbang (easiest to install out of terminal-installed Linux distros). Finding code to iterate through firmware files might be harder. Python web scrapers are readily available.
Make a Python file corresponding to the following pseudocode:

define webscrape(num)
call dedicated webscraper
tell it to look for file #num in git repo
download file #num
convert file #num to .txt
return .txt file

define processing_function (firmware_file, number)
open file with ed
copy text stream to temporary.txt
if webscrape(number) matches up with temporary.txt
delete webscrape(num)'s output
return true
else
delete webscrape(num)'s output
return false

libreboot_test = true
list of file names
list of sorted files
for (firmware file start : firmware file end)
if file isn't in list of file names
processing_function(current_file, current_file_number)
if processing_function == true
libreboot_test = true
else
libreboot_text = false
end loop

if libreboot_test = true
print "this computer is running libreboot"
else
print "this computer is not running libreboot"

Then use a bash script (with an icon to run it on the desktop, the only button preferably) to ask the user for internet connection before running the python file and checking the firmware.
IDK if this is how firmware files actually work or not. I'm assuming that it's much like file processing in higher rings.
Obviously this won't work if the computer files aren't in the exact same order as in the git repo, but it's trivial to write a .c file which runs the text input through strcmp and bubblesort them alphabetically for each folder in the repo. Call that several times if you need to.
Sorry about double post, but can't delete other one because no javascript. Also, I might be retarded atm because I'm writing at 3AM.

Stopped when she said entrepreneur.

Fuck, wrong thread.

dum

It's $260 for a PO Box for 3 months. Out of $100 about $30 to $60 go to shipping both ways. That leaves $70 at best or $40 at the worst then 35% goes to paying for the domain name/website and my guy who'll act as customer support. After all that I get $45.50 at the most which all goes to the PO box. I'd need 6 to 9 orders to break even.

why do you need the po box?

Hey guys, send me your notebooks and a hundred bucks, I will totally tranny boot it for you and not just run off with both your money and chinkbook

Nobody would trust an anonymous on tinkering with their hardware.

Why do people not simply libreboot/coreboot their computer themselfs?

I mean, it costs nearly nothing. Just buy a rasp pie, and the needed components from aliexpress. Follow the tutorial.
How hard is that?

Wait, while I'm thinking about it, why would anyone interested in libreboot not be able to install it himself?
Seriously, Holla Forums is dead. Too much "larpers" and kids here.

Take a look at the instructions for the T500.

Is that a joke?

libreboot.org/docs/install/t500_external.html

There is fucking everything. A shit tone of photos.

You're just fucking lazy.

you should take monero too.
additionally:

I'm pretty sure Terry was a /g/ meme before he became a Holla Forums one

$58.99.

There's that, and the fact that you have to buy all the parts to do hardware flashing in the first place. Also the X200 Tablet, besides requiring a lot of disassembly, needs soldering. For mine I got someone else to help out with that part, the wires are permanently attached and accessible by just removing the palmrest. Much more manageable.

You only need a RPi and a SOIC clip.
With models like X60/T60 I'm fairly sure you can do it simply via software.

you need cables

Dudd, did you think about taping wires inside RAM bay, there's plenty of space there. Also, did you update the EC firmware from livecd beforehand?

You do not need Raspberry, who the fuck started this maymay? You need any flashrom compatible programmer and a $5 USB power supply.

Cables are like $1/kilo

I used a SOIC clip to flash the X200s did. No need to solder.

Still better (and a lot easier) than using a BeagleBone with external PSU and even external hard drive as OP appears do be doing.

Me neither on a x200 (w/ chip at 16 pins), had to spend 15 bucks on the clip, though.
I believe you may have to solder the cables directly on the chip on the tablet models, which have some sort of unclippable BIOS chip.

Palmrest is fine given how often I have to do it.

Must've missed that. Does it really matter? I think I've got the original BIOS somewhere, or maybe it'd work with the hacked one that doesn't whitelist wifi cards and stupid nonsense.

Regular X200 systems are easy. It's the tablet variant that isn't because the flash is on the underside of the mainboard, and it's a different flash type with no test clips. You can swap it with one that is but the wire approach was more sensible since it's in such an awful place. You have to take pretty much everything out.

And they got the nerve to tell other people that they are stealing their memes.

Yeah, sounds fine but you should also expand your efforts and include installation of Coreboot and ME cleaner on compatible devices.

How much would it cost for my macbook pro

I think we're getting to that point where this older hardware is starting to become unsustainable. We need better devices with completely free software from the ground up. These laptops still have non-free firmware somewhere even after being librebooted. Theres really only a few boards and a shitty Chromebook that are fully non-free, or near to free.. and CPUs also have microcode.

noic b8 m8

Yes but you must also offer recordings of yourself actually doing it.

mailing it to a PO box and paying in BC is weird shit.

I can see your glow

Bitcoin is trash you should take Monero