/hrt/ - Hardware Removal of Botnet thread

Comfy edition

Findings so far
x86:
For desktops, there's lots of C2Ds and atoms listed, but also some very nice opterons and apparently an iMac
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#desktops-amd-intel-x86
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#serversworkstations-amd-x86
For Laptops, you have the CD and C2D memepads
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#laptops-intel-x86
Purism doesn't do libreboot, but their roadmap includes this as a future goal.
puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/
The last AMD chip that came without the PSP is Piledriver.
VIA and Zhaoxin Semiconductor apparently also make x86 processors.

ARM:
Obviously there's a shit ton of SBCs (Olimex, Beagle, etc).
For a laptop option with an open firmware, try ARM Chromebooks.
I'm dead serious. Open it up, remove the write protection, reflash coreboot with different payload (Not seaBIOS or Depthcharge), install loonix of choice.
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p
Inforce has an SBC with high-specs and an open GPU
inforcecomputing.com/products/single-board-computers-sbc/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-inforce-6640-sbc
Cavium makes some god-tier processors. Be on the lookout for that.
cavium.com/Table.html
In general, your biggest concern with ARM is the GPU drivers.
Mali is fucked. PowerVR too. Vivante GC and Qualcomm Ardreno are fine. Broadcom VideoCore is partial.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ARM
MALI MIGHT BE GETTING OPENED UP PRAISE LINUX TORVALDS TECH TIPS
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
Some anons have reported that lighter environments like XFCE are usable on stuff like Mali without the driver, but it's not ideal.
One user said he couldn't remove the ChromeOS on his libreboot C201. This github issue talks about a solution.
github.com/altreact/archbk/issues/3
(1/2)

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/
embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/
lemote.com/html/product/
embeddedplanet.com/single-board-computers/processor/cavium-oceteon-ii/
sifive.com/products/freedom/
lowrisc.org/
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1069651
archive.is/o0ctz
crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1
crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-2
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
imx6rex.com/open-rex/
code.coreboot.org/p/openfirmware/source/tree/HEAD/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

(2/2)
OpenPOWER:
Raptor Engineering sells POWER9 workstations, that may soon be getting RYF certification.
They're expensive as fuck, but probably the most powerful non-botnet computers that exist. Comparable to Xeons/Epyc.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

PowerPC:
The company that still makes this is NXP
nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/power-architecture-processors
Here is a project for a Libre PowerPC laptop using NXP, shooting for RYF certification.
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/
EmbeddedPlanet has several PowerPC SBCs, most using NXP.
embeddedplanet.com/product/single-board-computers/

MIPS:
The /csg/ of desktops. Lemote is a chink company that sells libre MIPS boards, using PMON firmware.
lemote.com/html/product/
A German user on this board says he is going to work with Lemote to resell their stuff.
EmbeddedPlanet also has MIPS boards with processors from Cavium with U-boot firmware.
embeddedplanet.com/single-board-computers/processor/cavium-oceteon-ii/

RISC-V:
Only SBCs here. SiFive has some.
sifive.com/products/freedom/
There's also LowRISC
lowrisc.org/

There is also thread , which technically could make this a duplicate.

I like this one's title better it's the same one I used when I started this list on halfchan

OP thanks for making one of these here.
There was another short-lived /hrt/ thread fairly recently where I decided to highlight the EOMA68 for ARM SBC. Mainly that's because I re-read the page and saw that it's going for all-the-way RYF cert.

Pic related is the current status of Purism's Freedom Roadmap. Libreboot is getting closer!

Jesus fuck this site is slow!
I guess i'll start highlighting more shit. lwn.net/Articles/738225/
This was a semi-recent addition to the list. It's an article about android, but towards the end they bring up chromebooks, and imply that the only thing stopping them from having fully open-source Mali drivers is one faggot in management at ARM. Everybody else loves the idea.

Now for Cavium. There's some of their older MIPS work that can be found on EmbeddedPlanet, which is already in the list.

However, the big thing to consider that we haven't yet found an implementation of yet is their ARM ThunderX stuff.
First pic related is Some information about them. Notice that the lower-end model has 8-16 cores at 2.5GHz. That sounds pretty respectable in my book, for our use as an ARM desktop.
Of course they couldn't stop there, and decided to make one with 24-48 fucking cores! Same cockspeed!

Now the only issue here is that, of course, we haven't found anything that uses this yet. I did manage to find an ARM rackmount from PogoLinux (that site Bryan Lunduke loves to shill).
pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1069651
This would have two ThunderXes, for a total of 96 CORES

However that's the only one I found, and I don't know what kind of firmware this has.

Reminder about the x220 and the rest of the **20 series thinkpads might be getting libreboot soon.
archive.is/o0ctz

You can ask them about the firmware

Message sent. Now we wait.

In the message, I suggested that if their firmware really is open, they could advertise that as a feature.

MUHHHH FOSSSS

Yay someone replied to this thread.
finally

if anyone here want help about the asus c201 I can help, I'm posting from on.

(it is the chromebook that can be librebooted).
Mine isn't because wifi (I couldn't get GPU to work correctly anyway)).

As usual, Peter Principle is the greatest hurdle of the electronics industry.

I think it's unlikely they can get away with free firmware, but they could release some of it for free with the blobs in it.

Yeah I'm not expecting Libreboot on everything here, but I expect at least Coreboot-levels of freedom.
For anything with a processor made by Intel Corporation or AMD, I accept nothing less than Libreboot, or in Purism's case, a commitment to getting there, just due to how shady those motherfuckers are. For other architectures. I will accept mostly free, but with blobs.

UPDATE:
Zhaoxin Semiconductor has been permanently removed.
VIA has been temporarily removed (there's Coreboot potential).

GnuBee has been added. They have two NAS devices that are MIPS and going for RYF
crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1
crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-2

EOMA68 has been added
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

iMX6 Rex has been added
imx6rex.com/open-rex/

References to Olimex and Beagle have been taken out for now.

And PogoLinux hasn't gotten back to me yet.

GUYS HOLY SHIT
HOOOLY SHIIIT!

PogoLoonix got back to me!
Apparently the dude is going on Bryan Lunduke soon to talk about the ME and whatnot.
He seems very overly trusting of Intel, as can be seen from this snippet, but he does say that the ARM servers have gotten more popular, possibly because of the ME concerns.

Every Loongson system past what Stallman used requires non-free firmware.

No Raptor WILL sell POWER9 systems when if IBM gets off their asses and releases the POWER9 CPU for retail sale.

If IBM wasn't a completely useless company they would have capitalized on the INTEL/ME/MINIX hype that is going on now.

They where supposed to release the chips by the end of 2017 and not looking like that will happen. Any big delay and that may end up killing Raptor and tanking any hope of an open POWER9 market getting started.

Daily reminder that firmware that is not actually modified in practice is as good as hardware. For example, your microwave might have some kind of flashable firmware capability, but that doesn't matter if it is normal that nobody touches it during the microwave's life.

Nice tranny thread

PC firmware is changed though, see linux-firmware or whatever. Also the microwave would still be very bad if it had networking.

UPDATE: user on halfchan has provided a link to the OpenFirmware source code for Powerbooks, Powermacs, iBooks, and the like. They are now in the list.
code.coreboot.org/p/openfirmware/source/tree/HEAD/

So tell me about the firmware that you can find in the Lemote computers that are able to run a free BIOS and Lignux.

No bosses no rulers.

If it has networking, it should be free as in freedom.
If it doesn't, the firmware should have ability to downgrade and/or newer versions should possess trivially noticeable improvements over older versions.

An update from Raptor to those who have pre-ordered Talos II systems for the original Q4 2017 window:
(I asked when they were planning on shipping by, as I have a holiday coming up.)

thanks for bringing this news to 8ch.

UPDATE: Added SPARC

I really hope TALOS makes it.

Same here. The whole "ship it with the older CPU now at no extra charge" thing seems very nice. I can tell they care about what they're doing here. This delay is all on IBM.

Not sure but I saw somewhere that IBM is plans on making consumer tech anytime soon. I hope it happens though (fuck off NSA)

wew