Linux is basically perfect on AMD hardware now

I'm not a "Brand wars" kind of retard, that's just corporate shill shit. But if you want modern hardware and the smoothest possible Linux experience, there's really only one choice. There's especially no excuse to use Nvidia GPUs, because the drivers are atrocious. I'm definitely going to wait and get an APU in my next laptop.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Feature_support
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're a shill, but you're right in way. Never had a problem with AMD, either the Raedon or the Ryzen, with Kubuntu. Asus, on the other hand, has been giving me headaches, especially their wireless adapter support for Linux sucks.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

So are GCN Second Gen "Sea Islands" GPUs supported officially now or are they're still stuck with the older, shittier non--AMDGPU FOSS drivers?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Feature_support
Probably, if not now then they will be some time in the future. Why not try it out?

No thanks

Fix your bot. He is really talking about Linux.

I've heard the geforece 750ti works quite well with nouveau

No, as long as you get one manufactured after the 25th week of Ryzen production, you won't get segfaults. All of the old chips have already sold out.

I had a 750 and it was absolutely terrible on Linux.

That was probably on an older version of nouveau.

Too bad ASUS became a botnet.

I have a K1000M (aka 750m) and it works ok with nouveau, still waiting on dynamic reclocking

They never made an official comment, though.

RESPECT THE ROBOT

even on noveau? damn, that might even be worth switching

They offered to replace all affected processors.

On the slim chance you still get a bad Ryzen chip, you just RMA it. They'll replace it for free.

I guess Nouveau has seen some improvements for obsolete cards, though it's still unusable for heavy 3D graphics.

tfw you wanna switch from your nvidia gpu with nouveau to an amd gpu but all amd gpus require proprietary firmware to operate
:(

nouveau actually works pretty decently for my gaming needs, I mostly play civ5 and tf2 with my gtx 760 without clocking it up.

remember, this is a non-political board.

They really are trying to dicksuck the Linux crowd so why not make an open standard of PSP or just remove it.

No it isn't.

AMD needs to step up its microcode game. Server guys buy Intel because they trust Intel will patch the chips. AMD just shrugs and either ignores problems or offers RMAs.

>>>Holla Forums is that way thank you

I can play morrowind on OpenMW just fine at 1080

I got Rx460 and I have screen tearing. Latest kernel, mesa.. Probably a bad config, but last time I tried to configure it, it failed to boot to GUI, didn't bother to work it out, since I am used to screen tearing.

Did you even read OP?
He talked about freesync, if you dont have a freesync monitor you can plug the GPU in your butt.

Define latest

What DE/compositor? Some DEs just don't have vsync enabled by default.

no, you don't need freesync.

really makes me think,,,

I was planning on making a GNU/linux based emulation box for use with Dolphin, PCPSX2, etc. for my little sister

the original build was a Celeron and 1030, but has anyone had practice using OpenGL and APU? How are they at dissipating heat?

B-but muh performance!

OpenMW is really CPU bound more than anything.

How do you know? I'd like to know more about how it works so I'd appreciate it if you'd share a technical overview or something like that

Best place to talk about that would be the OpenMW forums.

(you)
(you)

I have been using Intel HD 4600 for about 3 years now on other computer, 0 screen tearing.

Linux 4.13.16
Mesa 17.2.6

Modified Mutter (Budgie desktop environment)
Screen tearing is only visible on 1080 videos and scrolling on Firefox. Tried force acceleration on Firefox, didn't notice any change.
I need to force myself to tweak X a little. Last time I tried enabling TearFree, but shit didn't boot after that. Kinda hard to force myself do deal with this shit when my Intel HD always just werks.
Not looking for support. I got shilled AMDGPU all over internet. Just venting.

All the mentioned improvements are coming into 4.15, that's why shit's the same as always
Also 4.13 isn't the latest by any definition of the word

Just find a way to force vsyn. I actually did have screen tearing on nouveau and Intel without it in the past, but it works on Intel now.

Sorry if I missed that, but how so? Link plz?

None of the parts you listed would be good for emulating those consoles.

Yes, the Intel IGPU drivers are fine, but they're obviously not for heavy 3D stuff.

Yep, that'd do it. There's probably some setting to tweak, but I could never completely get rid of tearing on GNOME3 until Wayland dropped. Not even on Intel drivers.

I would like to know what this meme about screen tearing is about.
I've had several AMD cards and I never experienced this with proper software. The one time I experienced it was because I was using Xfce's software desktop compositor instead of a hardware compositor like compton. Once I changed it the problem was solved.

what

Be glad you'll never find out.

Dude, we've known this for a while now.

rgb30, i.e. something Macs have had as standard for 2 decades

more bits per bits

Tried it, Ubuntu 17.10s kernel already comes compiled with experimental AMDGPU support for Sea Islands GPUs. It still doesn't fucking work with APUs. I guess. Blacklisting the radeon module in grub to force the AMDGPU module to load for the GPU just results in an endless purple screen (I'm sure there's a kernel panic somewhere behind the boot splash but I'll have to check the logs later)

Fuck you AMD.

Why would you expect them to prioritize APUs? Anyway, the old radeonsi driver is just as stable, it's just not fast. It's equivalent to the Intel driver.

I've been doing that just fine in Gentoo for half a year. Fuck you for running Ubuntu, you fag.

As always, Gallium 9 is a nice bonus for AMD users too.

Stopped reading right there.