Can we have a space elevator thread?

I feel like we haven't had one in a while. Let's start with some recent news:

Bigelow calls on Trump to sharply increase NASA spending
archive.fo/4M63e

UK 'space junk' project highlights threat to missions
archive.fo/434Eu

Chinese astronauts return to earth after longest mission
archive.fo/q558P

What do guys think will be the next big frontier in space exploration? Some things we can discuss:

Other urls found in this thread:

arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120
regenvillages.com/
replantable.com/nanofarm/
pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/nature/perennial-agriculture/
space.com/34658-airplane-wing-actively-morphs-for-more-agile-efficient-flying.html
3ders.org/articles/20161118-china-successfully-3d-printed-its-1st-pressure-vessel-cylinder-prototype-for-a-nuclear-reactor.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring
archive.fo/NRsK6
reuters.com/article/us-space-spacex-idUSKBN13C085
arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/1.B36120
arxiv.org/abs/1611.04135
archive.is/C62ej
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want an image of a rocket going into space with a faded out, superimposed image of Trump laughing in one corner and a crying negro in another.

Embed related is Gary Johnson's O'Neill cylinder dream. Good watch at any rate.

I fully expect BLM niggers to chimp out when Trump announces that the money that was meant for "rebuilding" the inner cities goes to space exploration instead.

Space elevator is a meme invented by civil engineers in order to take jobs from us aerospace engineers. Nothing to see here folks.

SpaceElevator was a guy that made threads about science news you newfaggot.

is Trump going to kick that "muslim outreach" space nigger out of nasa?

Literally never seen it

Literally a newfag

He was around before the elections started up. Last I heard, (((someone))) forced him to stop making his threads for unknown reasons

It was a singular person years back on 4chan Holla Forums then other people just started making threads with that name, just reposts of fucking news stories. Yea the kikes really want to shut down neets reposting pop sci articles.

Space elevator threads are classic Holla Forums. Come on guys.

make it yourself newfag

Another 4chan thread

I'm fucking sick of you faggots. You don't belong here GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mods did. And we know at least coonman and kampfy are both shitskins

Reminder to anyone in this thread that this post is done by a D&C bot. These posts are all over the place.

at last I truly see why space elevator left

This board isn't really useful for anything anymore other then sucking Trumps cock

kys

Go away.

Make me geek boy!

The EM Drive will (in all likelihood) make space elevators obsolete even before they are developed. The 1.2 mN/kW from the Nasa experiment surely isn't the peak of the technology. An EM Drive capable of lifting itself on Earth is powerful enough to go all the way to space and to other planets.

The new Nasa paper:
arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

So we memed Trump into making Planetes real.

bump

It's about time we started bringing classic threads like this back again.

Not until we have the beaner wall you d&c kike faggot.

Asshurt much?

I don't have photoshop.
Just do it, shitbird.
It won't just be for me.

No, space elevators will be used to construct massive EM drive spacecraft in orbit. The added structure needed for surface launches would just be dead weight once you got into orbit.

that is a sure thing.. however the inner cities are more than capable of rebuilding themselves all they need to do is solve the nigger problem and by solve I mean hang them.

How?
If earth spins, shouldnt the elevator bent like an algae in a stream rendering it too dangerous to use?

If the curve is gentle enough it might .be okay

So it needs to be stiff like a bamboo?
Sounds like static nightmare to pull off.

Why?

Analogy time:
It's like digging a tunnel from Europe to America so colonists can come in on wagons, when ships and airplanes are clearly superior for intercontinental travel.

SSTOs, nuclear pulse propulsion, EM catapults and lofstrom loops are the future.

If we could make a space elevator it would be incredibly dangerous and risky.

For instance if terrorists managed to 9/11 it and it came down it would wrap around the earth several times crushing anything and everything it lands on under superheated metal. Never mind how costly it would be to maintain.

Dampening oscillations would be an issue too, especially as the wave length of the construct is changing.

EM drives are weak as fuck, even if you multiplied their power 1000x they still wouldn't be able to even lift themselves off the ground. Their only use is in interplanetary travel and (maybe) in satellite upkeep. Besides, the first step in creating a space elevator has always been putting a huge-ass counterweight in orbit and then lowering the cables to earth.

By its very nature the cable for a space elevator has to be incredibly light, so light that if the strands of the cable unwound and fell on top of you, you might not even notice. The cable wrapping around the earth would be a huge deal though, but it wouldn't cause as much destruction as you think it would.
I recommend watching the documentary 'Sky Line' which covers this scenario pretty well.

Which is why it's a good thing that Space Elevator threads are not about space elevators.

This is how the shitposting always starts

Yes, now fuck off.

Biggest. Lightning rod. Ever.
Look up the tether experiment.

Okay, I had actually watch another docu, that's name escapes my mind, about scenarios causing an apocalyptic like disasters, and a space elevator collapsing was one of them.

What?

Just read it. Shame a fairly trivial mechanical failure halted the experiment.

Space Elevator was a namefag that would do weekly dumps of interesting science news articles back before the exodus, he moved to 8ch with us but eventually stopped making them.

I remember him now that you bring it up. Its been that long, huh? I still enjoy talking about space elevators though.

What is Schlomo sliding today?

Probably this thread.

If all you needed to do to become qualified at anything is using a search engine then everyone would be a PHD in everything. You can fuck off now.

you wont find one because all rockets arc and level out because space travel is jewish propaganda to groom you for bluebeam.

A few interesting projects and sites you might like and which are a bit sci-fie ish.

regenvillages.com/

replantable.com/nanofarm/

pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/nature/perennial-agriculture/

Lead by example faggot.

Go start /trump/ board, idiot

nobody has destroyed this board more than trump

space.com/34658-airplane-wing-actively-morphs-for-more-agile-efficient-flying.html

>>>/suicide/
You are trying so hard to fit in, 7th exodus newfag.

The only proper tests done have been with the EM drive equivalent of a working model steam engine. Most tests have been with very low energy and basic cavity shapes. EMdrive.com seems to think that with superconducting resonance cavities quite a bit 1-3 tons of thrust can be extracted from a kilowatt of power.

Mind you that seems to be a private company's napkin math not hard data but that would make space elevators and rockets obsolete. You could get to orbit with a lawnmower engine

I knew these gifs would become significant somewhere in the distant future

Dammit user I'm trying to do nofap November over here

Not a single mention that the Earth is flat and NASA is full of shit stealing your money by the billions each year. Stay ignorant NASA fags!

China successfully 3D printed its 1st pressure vessel cylinder prototype for a nuclear reactor

The prototype, an ACP100 pressure vessel cylinder, was 3D printed using a heavy metal additive manufacturing system developed by the China Nuclear Power Research Institute and Nanfang-AM. The 3D printed cylinder prototype marks an important step for the companies towards realizing a small pressure reactor made entirely from 3D printed parts.

3ders.org/articles/20161118-china-successfully-3d-printed-its-1st-pressure-vessel-cylinder-prototype-for-a-nuclear-reactor.html

I hope Space elevator user is well

Keeping yourselves up to date on modern scientific achievements and events isn't something Holla Forumslacks would do.

There is a link to /suicide/ and /reddit/ somewhere above this post. Find them and flip a coin.

I always secretly suspected the key was going to be simple enough to bang up in your backyard. This is about more than space and UFOs - we can have floating houses and buildings hovering over international waters free of jurisdiction. Property taxes? I don't think so, fucko, my house is in the sky.

just came here to say that you are a faggot

Does anybody know the story behind this? I see it all the time but no idea where it came from?

That would make it a free energy machine, though. Put one on the rotor of a generator, power emdrirve from generator.

I agree with this, maybe an extended mission instead of a permanent base.

There's no story. There used to be a website that sold RC flying lawnmowers, and someone took a video of one being used.

I'd think by the time you factor in supercooling the resonance cavity and keeping it supercooled while you pump it full of microwaves there's no free energy. But I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. Fun stuff

It would be the funniest thing ever, for sure. Hundreds of Billions spent on energy research, all completely pointless because of an invention that sounds like a scam.

What about room temperature superconductors?

If an actual space elevator was made, it would immediately become the biggest terror target of all time, and it would be a matter of weeks at most before some mudshit or urban moving systems employee decided to blow it up. I would approve of a space elevator after we get rid of kikes and muzzies.

ITT Newfags and shills.
And some Anons who know what a space elevator tread is, Kek bless you ladsand let`s see how long till the mods ban us all and delete this tread

Eric Verlinde, could he be right and Kikestein not?

If I had any laying around I'd honestly slap one together and tell you.

I've never seen it mentioned in these threads, but an orbital ring could already be built from current materials and after being built would significantly cheapen getting mass into orbit.
Granted, building one now would unreasonably expensive but if rocket launches get considerably cheaper (which SpaceX seems determined to do), then it could become feasible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring

A orbital 3d printer could shit one out, all sections are very much the same. Just need to get the resources to the printer and go.

Anybody got an idea of how feasible a mass driver space catapult would be? I remember reading about it in some Heinlein book.

In no way could it be built with current materials and in no way would it be stable.

theoretically it could, compared to a conventional space elevator which needs unobtanium-tier carbon nanotubes

If only..

BLEASSSE DDD:::

Politically, an orbital ring would be threatened by any terrorist group with a chip on its shoulder. An equatorial orbital ring makes the most sense for a number reasons, but that area is politically volatile.

Technologically, an orbital ring is beyond us.

Looks like we first need space janitors before anything else

they won't just cry they will write terrible "spoken word" poetry like embed related

Way to oust yourselves.

Thanks OP for bringing it back.

feels good

czech'd

SpaceElevator made threads about pop-science, not actual science. He would link articles with sensationalist headlines that were vastly underwhelming for what they had been claimed to be.

I don't get this. You can pick up a weight on the ground and elevate it over your head for a tiny amount of energy, but if an engine is able to hover it up there using some other principle at a low cost it is suddenly 'free energy.'

Sick trips brah.

Sick dubs bro

Bumping to keep this sweet tread at the top. not much else going on either

Haven't you seen Elysium user? It's RACIST to keep mud people away from space.

Why don't they use normal flight method to a certain height, then rockets when the air is too thin?

That's a nifty idea for other planets.
But radiation and no gravity is still an issue.
What if it was pulled by giant magnets and spun around to imitate gravity? :^)

Better get rid of the CIA and similar agencies too. They are the creme de la creme in keeping people dumb and useless.

nice digits man

I believe SpaceX tested the concept.
From what i can gather, when you add up the entire cost of the carrier (It has to be huge to carry it's own fuel + a rocket + payload + be able to reach low-orbit) as well as factor in the additional things that could possibly go wrong (Such as not the rocket not de-coupling from the carrier properly), it's barely worth the effort compared to a ground launch.

WHY YOU CRACKAZ BE STEALIN YOUR SPACESHIPS FROM THE BLACK MAN

This pretty much.
It might be viable for small crafts like little low orbit tourist rockets or something, but it's not really suitable for heavy lifting.

archive.fo/NRsK6
reuters.com/article/us-space-spacex-idUSKBN13C085

it looks like the (((jewgle))) project LOON idea has morphed into an orbiting cloud of satellites.

But but Elon wants to do it instead of Zuckerberg? Did Elon sabotage Zuckerberg's satellite so he could then waltz in and steal the idea?

dunno about waltzing but Elon has been floating this idea for quite a while.

Both have ulterior motives. Such as global surveillance.
Because i have no doubt people will have tracking devices installed - even though phones pretty much do the job.

Do they want to make the nuclear reactor in space?

That wind power thing works, but would be very innefficient as it's change the mangetic field withing the coild very little with each oscilation

I think its time to make planet Europa great again.

His ulterior motive is mainly to fund the mars rocket system and colony
or maybe he wants to control the world

Nah, lets have more einstein/relativity threads with retards talking about shit they don't understand mixed with flat earth and fake nuke bullshit

t. mods

>>>/spaceelevator/
now fuck off

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" its a good read (some degeneracy but overall premise is interesting and well written)

I am also in favor of mass drivers over space elevators. Space elevators always struck me as unreasonably vulnerable to attack and having one fail would have catastrophic consequences.

a long gradual acceleration space catapult that inclines up a slop that can impart escape velocity to a large mass would be much preferable in my view. The issue of energy remains but If we can crack fusion or start mining fissionable materials from asteroids the issue is solved. The G force issue for escape velocities of larger masses could be an issue but If we only use it for shipping unmanned materials and mass into orbit and use lighter cheaper craft to ferry humans we could make it work.

Another advantage to focusing on fissionable materials (nuclear power) and space is that we can take spent radioactive cores and launch them into the sun for disposal, solving the waste issue of nuclear power.

It's a win, win, win my my book.

safe, easily doable with current technology (would require a large investment in nuclear power but feasible) and provides a feedback loop of waste management and resource acquisition through space mining.

Europa is a moon, and we can’t land there because the radiation would kill us in a day.

lol bump

we need a large set of springs
a cavity in earth to house the springs
volcanic heat powered turbines to provide the energy necessary to compress the springs
the rest is already done. mad catapultation for the whole family

I know this isn't serious but to apply escape velocity over that short a period would put too many Gs for fine equipment let alone humans.

Gradual acceleration is key

is it even possible to shoot something into space from sea level? air resistance increases with velocity

That is why you need a properly sloped mountain to give the entire setup an incline. Air resistance is a problem but if the package can be made aerodynamic it could theoretically achieve orbit with significant mass and minimal thrust.

arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/1.B36120

The EM Drive paper from NASA, in case anyone wants to build one. They detail their whole setup pretty well (of course, it's NASA).

ahaha

space bumb

Force propagates through a medium at the speed of sound through that medium - and because of that, an orbital ring would be incredibly unstable, it would rip itself apart.

FRIENDLY AI TRIGGERS LEFTISTS BY PROVING PHRENOLOGY WORKS!
arxiv.org/abs/1611.04135
Just think, with these sorts of things the old winging about selection error in eugenics would be a thing of the past, the damn thing got a 83.7 percent accuracy rate from their faces alone!

care to expound on this?
what force are you talking about?

If you push on something, that force moves through the medium at the same velocity at the speed of sound - if, for example, you push a steel beam that's ten miles in length, the other end of it won't move until ~2.64 seconds have elapsed. Since we're talking about a circular structure tens of thousands of miles in circumference, if something bumps into one side, that force will take several minutes to reach the other side, and it will resonate. It's the resonance that causes instability.

archive.is/C62ej

I don't understand how you can wiggle in racism here as all of the faces in the study were chinese

I don't think he knows how neural nets work, is it even possible to put in some bias? especially in a case like this when all of the people are from the same race

is sam biddle a kike?

it will resonate if the force is continuous and has a certain frequency, which has to be one of the resonant frequencies of the structure
one hit won't cause resonance, and of course resonance will have to be taken into account like it is in pretty much everything that is built now