The new Ethical Tech Guide is here!
fsf.org/givingguide/v8/
Happy Holidays, anons!

Other urls found in this thread:

tehnoetic.com/tet-t400s
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
github.com/sindresorhus/awesome/issues/1153
lineage.microg.org/#faq
thebusinesslitigators.com/internet-trademark-infringement-and-product-disparagement.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this whole guide/advertisement is shilling for a single website.

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo SP9400 2.40GHz
RAM 8GB DDR3
GPU Intel GMA 4500MHD
Price: €778
tehnoetic.com/tet-t400s

They'll also install libreboot for you if you send them a laptop for €250.

Maybe the shills are wrong and GNU is compatible with extreme kikery.

i guess there's more than that 1 website, there's 3. thinkpenguin and 1 desktop from viking

gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

The (((FSF)))

They include minifree and Libiquity too for the thinkpads

This is the most off-putting thing about FSF.
They don't care about hardware and beginners, they only care about promoting shops that pay them 5% fee back.
- Here guys I'm into free software, what do I begin with, I know there is x60 notebook and I've heard something about libre atheros drivers, what's the best setup I can get off that, also I need a home router and an SBC for projekts and shiiet
Expectation:
- Get a X200 or T400 Lenovo laptops, flash libreboot on them, swap proprietary Intel wireless cards to Atheros 92XX or 93XX cards, for home routers look for Mediatek-XXXX based with Atheros wireless chipset. Not all SBCs are freedom respecting, but if you are ready to give up 3D acceleration or whole video system, then TI Omap-based Beagle Bone Black is suited for you.
Reality:
- Buy from these shops, goy: Technoetical™, Minifree® and ThinkPenguin™.
10 times the price and shitty stickers included!

Shit, is it legal in US to put your own branding on hardware manufactured by another company without their consent?

Do you understand how ownership works? When I actually own a product, I am free to modify and on-sell that product as I wish. I'm allowed to name a product that was originally a Lenovo T400 to be the Anonbuster T400.

oy veyyyyyy!!! oy gevalt!!!!!!

what about trademarks?

Intellectual "property" is not being used without permission

No wonder they aren't going to certify Librem's products

Trademarks are intended to distinguish "marks of a trade". In practise, I would need to use a mark that is sufficiently distinct as to not cause confusion with other marks within a given "field". I would think that the mark of "Lenovo Thinkpad T400" would be sufficiently distinct to the "Anonbuster T400".

This is bait
They care about giving the word user, the free software world is being utterly crushed by the cucked opensource world thanks to the openbait of google, MS and other similar and the main reasons for the opensource world crushing the freedom one is because again people don't read/understand the licenses even tho they are extremely simple to understand.
Most people/devs don't and do not want to understand:
Very simple to understand
A clusterfuck to understand but it's easier if you read licenses.
If written properly, but they do exists.
Do I have to explain that there's more than just one way to sell something ? yes and people don't have imagination besides the easy way that consist of fucking customers over and over instead of making quality.

Maybe because it's the only ones that are up to the standards of the RYF certification.

Like I said earlier
And ? the problem is ? so yes it's ten times the price of the hardware (and it could be worse (member when Francis rowe sold T400 for 1000$))
You aren't satisfied with the price ? then go buy one on ebay if you're lucky you'll have one that doesn't require replace the HDD and add some RAM or replace any other part.
You see user these people are trying to make their lives better by making money from people who don't want to flash or repair their shit themselves but they still want to have some kind of freedom if possible.
If you don't want to buy these, stop being a bitch go on the libreboot website and read it then go to ebay, buy a 50$ T500 and flash it yourself.
And maybe you could even propose the same services has these people to flash chips and make some money.

If you don't want to be a good goy ==GO FUCKING READ YOU GODDAM NIGGER==

yes

This is more or less wrong.
Juridically speaking yes one has ownership of it but technically speaking we don't have the schematics or source code to make anything useful out of it so we technically don't own it.

I think what people need to realize is that when it comes to the products themselves, they sadly do not have anything else. What newer products could they put into that list?
Proprietary BIOS and Intel ME.
Binary blobs in their coreboot (although they say they're working to fix that).
Not even available yet, and I don't think it will be until next year.

As far as providing info on how to do it yourself, it's important to know that a publication like this needs to be flexible.
It can be a "How do I deal with the botnet?" guide.
It can be a "I'm a normie who doesn't know much about computers, but i'm getting absolutely terrified about surveillance now. What should I get?" guide.
It can be a "What do I buy my freetard relative/friend/acquaintance for Christmas this year?" guide.
Flexibility.

Why are they recommending a smart phone? Is it just RMS who is against phones?

For the OS:

From the Replicant FAQ:

In other words, it's pretty much the most libre smartphone you can get right now, even more so than LineageOS.

Why some people don't get the real meaning of free software?
github.com/sindresorhus/awesome/issues/1153
REEEEEEE

At first I thought this was the Awesome Window Manager.
wew

It can be installed on any Android-based system. Moot point.

Key differences from LineageOS? (which is available for a shitload of devices, unlike the former)

Eww

Maybe you could just type "relplicant os" into google

I didn't found anything convincing. LOS is free as in free speech as well…

LineageOS is developed by a bunch of google fanboys. Fuck them.
lineage.microg.org/#faq

Google shit is optional. What are the issues with the project itself?

Did you actually read the fucking post?
Here's the relevant part again:

For extra clarity:

To have an even more libre smartphone/pc you'll need free/libre hardware.
But that is still a fantasme.

In the case of software, we normally license it. In the case of electronic schematics, it doesn't matter. We own the machine and it is ours to do as we please.

What Freedom-Respecting stuff are you guys gonna get this year?

I want to buy an SBC so I can masturbate in embedded C

You could not design your own laptop from scratch and call it a Thinkpad T400. But you can buy as many real ones as you want and resale them, with or without modifications. Because they really are a Thinkpad T400. One thing you cannot do is imply that lenovo endorses what you have done, or to pass yourself off as lenovo.

They day that people couldn't resell things (which is that entire thing we call an "economy") is the day that the government goes up in flames.
Jews get around this by selling "licenses" to nonphysical goods and adding locked down firmware to physical ones.

this

Selling modified stuff as the original branding is kinda risky since they're really not official merchants.

So, uh, can I buy a pack of iPhones, replace back covers with my own laser-inscribed and sell them as "Queerphone 9000"?

you won't be able to sell then for more money than you buy.
maybe only if you somehow manage to rip out the iOS botnet and install LineageOS on them.

I see.

I use I this for drawing with Krita. It's pretty cool.

Why can't you do the same with software, though?
It is illegal to distribute patched Microsoft OSes for example.

Because you don't own it, you are only allowed to use it under the conditions of the license. Sort of like renting.

Yes, though there is a possible complication.
thebusinesslitigators.com/internet-trademark-infringement-and-product-disparagement.html
Apple could possibly have grounds to sue you and force you to change the name due the negative name being coupled with the internals that are still iOS. It is also possible that you may be protected by parody laws.

There's no real way to tell who would win in a legal battle, beyond the fact that apple has a lot more money and lawyers (so even if they can't win, expect them to drag it out for years and bankrupt you.)