Batman Black and White (2013) Storytime

Because storytelling is better in B&W.

Issue #1 out of 6.

Beast trips for Zombie batman!
The fifth image will exceed the upload size limit, so just 4 in this post.

End of Issue #1

They say the apprehended Glyson, but the dude got melted into a pile of sludge. Pretty fucking gruesome if you ask me.

Issue #2 out of 6.

Just a light wound.

File size limit exceeded again

End of Issue #2

Issue #3 out of 6.

End of Issue #3

Issue #4 out of 6.

End of Issue #4

Issue #5 out of 6.

End of Issue #5

Issue #6 out of 6.

End of Issue #6 and This Storytime.

I really like Batman B&W because of the variety of artists with different styles taking a go at the Bat and it offers an interesting contrast having those side-by-side.

Also, the one-shot stories that are frankly refreshing. I wish we had one book with more of those instead of shit storytelling that get stretched and drag on for 6~8 issues. Something short and dense like this makes you feel you're getting the bang for your buck.

Last, B&W art is a thousand times better than the flat-colors BS we're getting from publishers today. It can work when it's an actual deliberate choice, but these days artists do it out of either laziness, incompetence or speed.

Dave Gibbons comic alone is worth a storytime. I love how he uses the format to give us a Batman story worthy of Bill Finger.

We used to have something like that with Legends of The Dark Knight, but that was cancelled when Didio took power. I agree with your sentiment that you're getting more for your dollar with books like this.

Also, you wish modern comics where using flat colors. Everything I've seen from the big two is always photoshopped to hell and back.

The puns are wonderful.

I'll post Paul Pope's comic as well. I really wish he was working on more mainstream books.

We need to bring back the 8-10 page format for mainstream comics. I think you get a more solid stories with that restriction.

Thanks for posting these, I don't have scans for the older B&Ws.

From the little I've seen in recent times (because I haven't bought Marvel since the 'reboot'), Marvel is shoving flat colors in everything in hopes it looks it's minimalist and modern but it ends looking cheap and lazy.

It's great because you don't get much space for bullshit, every page has to service the story and it forces the narrative to be concise and it helps prevent the story from becoming a convoluted mess.

Also, removes bullshit filler and detours, as well as pointless decompression that exist not to service a graphic narrative but rather to force the reader into buying 6 issues to get one story.

In all, a lower page count forces creators into using the visual language of comic books to convey it effectively, rather than using the movie-like visual storytelling that became popular in the early 2000s and ended up making comics look like storyboards for potential movie/tv adaptations.

Nice. We should storytime some Grendel: Black and White and Red All Over, that was a similar idea with one extra colour and a similar nice synergy of art direction and actual writing you rarely see in comics now.

Thanks OP

bump for quality

How about starting an actual conversation.