Open-source artfag thread

Post about free and open source applications and tools for making art and photo editing

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/qugkfh.tar.gz
gmic.eu/
synfig.org/
zzo38computer.org/fossil/farbfeld.ui/wiki?name=Documentation
zzo38computer.org/fossil/farbfeld.ui/wiki?name=ff-xdraw
github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-2.4.0rc1
peppercarrot.com/en/article433/episode-24-the-unity-tree
youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone used Mypaint recently? How's it compare to Krita?

Thanks for sharing. I just tried it and like it way more than Krita.

Mypaint is lighter than Krita, but it doesn't have as many features. CYMK support, for example.

All we really have there is Darktable, right? Does the job, but the controls are kinda small on a laptop.

Apparently Rawtherapee had an update and it's pretty good now.

How has GIMP not been mentioned yet, it's one of the best out there.

How bad is GIMP, really? I've recently had the ambition to become an amateur drawfag and don't know a lot about the software used.

Maybe it's because GIMP is unironically one of the worst examples of free software in general and it's one of the programs that give FOSS a bad name and if you like it it probably means you hate the free software community for holding it to such low fucking standards?

One of the worst software tools ever and if I didn't know there were better FOSS image editors out there I would seriously think you'd be nuts to want to use GNU/Linux for fucking any kind of creative application.

It's clear to me though that you never actually edit images based on the webm you posted implying creating circles is an impressive feat so I don't know why you're even here. GIMPs transform tools are seriously an embarrassment. Especially since image transformation is really supposed to be the tools primary job. The only reason people use GIMP is because it's installed by default on many distros. It is literally the MSPaint of GNU/Linux

GIMP isn't primarily a drawings tool. As the name implies it's supposed to be a replacement for Photoshop. Yes, you CAN use GIMP to draw like how you can use Photoshop to draw. But there are much better tools for the job. Krita is primarily a drawing tool

It's joke from how people say it's impossible to draw a circle in GIMP.
You say GIMP is a bad program, but I don't see very many problems with it other than not being able to do math in the number fields and having awkward hotkeys.
GIMP comes with plenty of tools, has great support for layers, and has great filter / generators. The user interface is laid out very intuitively and looks nice.

Its image transform tools are just so bad compared to Photoshop and it sucks because I don't think there are any other programs for GNU/Linux either actually good transform tools. Sorry for my ranty walls of text. I just have PTSD still from having to use this shit

I'm not sure I get what you mean about the transform tools being bad. I've never run into an issues with them.
I drew pic related and then rotated it a few times. Even rotations which were not perfect 90 degree angles looked great.

No, I know that. I just thought that drawfags used it to touch things up, or is that all included in Krita? Because that might make things easier. I don't own a tablet yet, so I'm just doing things on paper. What is a good one for GNU/Linux?

Does LibreOffice Draw count?

How is the GIMP's GTK3 port coming?

Photoshop is still the best.

Gimp is an image manipulator.
It's not really an artfag program.

Art isn't just painting, user.

The GTK3 port compiles and appears to work at least for some users. They are in the process of doing a complete code audit to port it to GTK3. No completion estimations are available at the moment.

Based Pajeets renting software at an affordable price.

Shame it's proprietary SAAS.

Too soon.

thats because it is.

They are bad. Krita does a better job

not an argument

tyson is a nice guy

neither is being impressed by being able to rotate something, that even MSpaint can do. gimpfag. Everything Gimp can do for transforming Krita does better with more options, even if the features were identical (which they are not) Krita would still be better because Gimps tools all run like complete ass. While Krita is powered by a better engine that's not coded by a retard and supports modern OpenGL and OpenCL so it runs at real time. I use photoshop but there's no reason to ever use Gimp other than masochism and if you recommend it then you are a complete faggot.

Anyone got a link to the OC package he mentioned?

Rawtherapee is gud. But the interface isn't a clone of Lightroom.

GIMP's tools run in real time too. I can rotate images, colorize them, and tweak brightness / contrast all in real time. Maybe you are thinking of the filters? Some of the filters do not run in real time, but they usually offer a preview window that does.

It's clear to me that you simply looked at GIMP's UI and noped back to whatever program you're using now.
You don't even seem to know anything about GIMP at all, in actuality, and simply criticize it out of spite.

Who gives a shit. Also Gimp wasnt even close to doing full screen edits in real time, it has a visible redraw lag as it updates the picture. Gimp is just trash, any of the advanced transformations like Warp or Cage that was added much later and sucks compared to Krita's transforms. Outside of the extreme basics there's a better option for anyone else, and the poor excuse for the UI alone is a prime example of being a piece of shit with an overcrowded, un-intuitive clusterfuck example of the worst of FOSS and reason enough never to recommend it. Its only there for people who hate themselves.

Gimp has always been the laughing stock of image editing and the updates over the years barely do anything at all, it's still shit tier. Krita is new and being quickly developed with major changes every big update that make me check up on it to see if I'll make the switch from Photoshop. One of the photoshop's pioneer features was Liquify which I use often to tweak things and Gimp's "comparison" with IWarp is an absolute joke, you can't even zoom in or see the size of the area you are effecting. It's insulting how bad Gimp is.

This is true, but it is only the display that is being delayed. The actual image has already been manipulated.
I think the warp tool was redone or something recently
I haven't really messed with them much. They seem like a novelty feature just for fun.
What is an objective problem with the UI. I personally don't see any major problems with it.
What's funny about it?
To be honest, I haven't messed around too much with it, but regardless GIMP is still a good application.

Its funny because of how pitifully slow and behind Gimp has always been so far behind everyone else. Photoshop has had multicore capability since fucking CS and gimp just now starts trying to add and still cant get it right.

This is like if someone gave made really good fresh cookies but then decided to market it and charged for it (Adobe) but then someone who loved Adobe's cookies for years but felt like something was missing gave it out for free with their own blend (Krita) but then there's Gimp who thought that stale cookies were just as good because it's the same kind of idea. And fags like you who keep telling people stale cookies are great as you shovel it into your mouth. At least they are trying, but it's still shit.

One tab taking up a good amount of real estate. That's been my personal gripe.

CSD to the rescue!

You can't just duct-tape on multithreading and expect it to work. There's probably fuck-all assumptions in the code. Sometimes, it would be easier to rewrite a piece of code then to make such a drastic change to it: people will always go for the drastic change, however.

Is Krita literally the only thing that supports CMYK?

not the point. Gimp is just a meme program for normalfags who are too much of a pussy to pirate, and retards that think a polygonal wheel is acceptable because it can get you to the same destination, just not smoothly. There's absolutely nothing that Gimp does well that another one can't do better. I'm fairly sure Sai doesn't have multithreading but its extremely light and fast already while Gimp is a beached whale.

Krita had multithreading in 2009. Gimp is just now trying to do something that makes their program not complete torture that pic is from the 2017 blog.

It's too late it's already been surpassed by another FOSS and there's no reason to use it for any reason anymore. Maybe before Krita things were a lot bleaker, not to mention there's very cheap and new art software like PaintStorm, so there's really no excuse to keep being a gimpfaggot in CY+2.

It's like you don't even understand that image manipulators and illustrators are different tools with different use cases with only a minimal amount of overlap.

not an argument

No. It was an observation.

You wanna know how I know you spend most of your time on /g/?

You see this kids? This is the kind of autistic faggot who likes killing threads. Probably got banned from /g/ and figured he'd try spreading his cancer here.

You are trying way-way WAY too the fuck hard to fit in.

Why has no one mentioned Blender 3d? It is the best open source project out there.

Best video editor we have for Linux atm.

Besides the obvious answer of "just fucking try it yourself", how does it compare to Kdenlive?

The only thing blender's good at is as an example of horrible, different for the sake of being different, UI and usability.
Every time someone bitches about Gimp being complicated to use, you just know they never suffered through the shit that is blender

I bet you faggots don't even imagej.

How is krita with animation?

What a stupid brainlet

anyone got infos about that krita data collection?

Lmao, tell me more about your work or better yet post them here. You suck and NGMI. You sound like a salty artist and frequent /ic/ trash. Maybe try photography and fashion because you'll end up in there anyway. I can read your personality like an open book.

>>>/reddit/

Lmao, you are a projecting retard with no argument.

Critism with no substance, and vague shit, nothing more than namecalling, that could apply to every program ever made. This same person unironically accuses other people of having no argument. How embarassing.

It's much more powerful, and stable too, but it has a much more steep learning curve.

there is 3 things I don't like about GIMP v2.9.6:
1) lack of cmyk support
2) lack of simple macro recording
3) the flat and colorless ui and the font effects on inactive menu text

for most editing I switched to GIMP from Photoshop and Paint.NET so i don't have to remove metadata with a separate application every time

I am using GIMP on my pirated windows

Any good ones for doing some trippy shit? I'm interested in creating some psychedelic reconstructions, but that shit is a pain to animate properly.

Wait how did he do the second circle?
I only saw him highlight the select menu.

All that unnecessary salt.

Select->Border

What the fuck is this?

Long story short:
Tyson Tan is an artist who draws mascots for FOSS software suites, for free.
Spends considerable time creating a mascot for LibreOffice as an entry into their mascot competition.
Other mascots include literal clip art, everyone seems sure Tyson's will win.
LO changes rules midway into competition that disqualifies his mascot with no warning.
Massive shit storm brews, eventually competition is scrapped.
A bunch of artfags here sympathize with Tyson, draw a bunch of art featuring his mascot and send him a tarball with the pics.
Tyson is touched, reveals that other artists have been giving him shit for basically handing out quality art for no cost and that the experience opened up old wounds.

I gotchu here famalam.
my.mixtape.moe/qugkfh.tar.gz

When did the artfag community become so jewish?

Gracias. Wait... I think I know the fag that put this together.

Commission prices can net an artist a crazy amount of cash, especially if they have a fanbase to cater to.

Tyson has an interest in drawing anthropomorphic animals, and that market is a mess. Him giving out free art is making other artists worry that people will go to him for a character rather than commission one of them.

I hope you're just playing jew's advocate there, user.

unfortunately for me, alot ofthe freeware and even pirated japware doesn't go well with my cintiq+extended displays so I just use a pirated adobe photoshop CC with the cloud component ripped out.

No, I think it's wrong of other artists to bash another just because A.) his art is good and B.) he does it for free.

I'm just trying to say why they wouldn't like him for doing what he does. I hope Tyson doesn't stop making free art, especially since he does it for the art alone and asks nothing in return.

This is why alot of arts people are commies and dramafags.
They hate the free market because of people like Tyson doing superior work for lower/no cost.

Please leave the thread

Okay

A question to Anons. Do you embed copyright notice and license in your artwork? If so then do you embed a link to the license or the whole license itself?

Nobody ever said these people make any sense, that's just the way they go about their daily lives.

>(((Krita)))

All are trash and bloated shitware! All you need is Tux Paint.

Anyone with real photography experience have an opinion of Darktable vs Rawtherapee? The only thing holding me back from DT is that there's no Windows version I can recommend to people.

That's so retarded, he is designing mascots for FLOSS projects because that's his way of giving back for the free software he received. It's not like he is giving out free commissions to just anyone.

Does the interface require a supercomputer to run like Lightroom?

He also had artists giving him shit for making mascots for smaller projects.

Runs alright on my 8350 box.

The problem I had with the open sores ones was the raw processing was shitty. There are a billion vendor-specific hacks in raw files and Adobe did a pretty good job at.. well, paying Canon/Nikon programmers. I had issues with stuck pixel removal, dark frames (astronomy), and uglier color reproduction than Lightroom, which is already ugly compared to Canon's horrible tools.

You do kinda have to make sure your camera is well-supported, since it IS a reverse-engineering effort in some cases. If they are though, not a lot of reason to use Lightroom

Details?

It's a fucking sin that nobody mentioned G'MIC:

gmic.eu/

finally, a voice of reason.

What about Linux support for artfag hardware? Is pic related the best cheap drawing tablet that just werks?

It makes me mad at the other artists, they'd charge an arm and a leg for this level of art and for some reason they feel threatened when someone like Tyson does it for free. Tyson does it to give back and because he enjoys drawing.

And he only does it for FOSS projects, which I bet most for those faggots don't even understand about.

Not an artfag but I think Tyson said to avoid the Bamboo shit because of input lag.

Tyson is pretty talented, but it's not like any of the free stuff he does is even lewd. I don't understand how furry artists would see him as devaluing their degenerate smut.

I have that tablet. Frankly, you should get the bigger one; don't draw with your wrist, draw with your whole arm. It's worth the investment, just like getting a good chair, your body is worth that much. The drivers are perfectly functional. Pressure sensitivity and everything. As for configuration, that really depends on the software itself. Gimp and Krita both let you define more specific settings for the tablet in their own settings dialog. Presumably, KDE has something that's let you configure it globally, but I've never tried.

Honestly, this is design work for projects, how this is supposed to devalue degeneracy commissions that are
If you'll ask Tyson to draw your hermtaur OC for free he'll probably say no. This has no impact on other artists.

g'mic is already supported by krita and it's just a filter engine, cant do any art on its own.

Funnily enough I've recently heard people talking about forking gmic, because gmic's author is a cool scientist but he's not very cooperative when it comes to software development. For example, people have been asking him many times to write meaningful commit messages and he just replies with "I understand you frustration" and goes on.

Apparently, the Judaism is so pervasive in the furfag community, it really doesn't matter that he's not directly effecting their profits. YOU DO NOT WORK FOR FREE! Especially if you're good.

did he have a hive of bees sting all over his face?

polite sage for offtopic

So flatpak has basically won.

So what's the difference between flatpak and appimage? They all seem like containers of some kind like docker or snap to me.

Never heard of this flatpak shit except on this board. If I need a program, I get it from OS package system, or just download source tarball.

It's pretty much made for proprietary software, but they don't tell you that. They want to bring "App Stores" to GNU/Linux.

What?

Linux already operates on an "app store" mentality more than fucking Windows does. Almost all windows software is intended to be downloaded from the independent source of the program itself, not some centralized directories.

AppImage is not a container, it's just a folder turned into an executable. It's no different from tarball with binaries except in a more convenient form.

Flatpak and Snappy are containerized and also are package managers to a degree I think. Snappy is fully controlled by Canonical though, and hard depends on systemd (dunno about flatpak). Snappy winning would basically mean Canonical's monopoly on this.

It's almost like you've never actually built anything from source. Software might depend on libraries that aren't even in your distro, or may depend on libraries configured the way your distro doesn't support (e.g. in abi-breaking way). Not to mention that anyone who installs software from sources via "make install" instead of building a package (which is also extra work) is a moron because it leaves untracked cruft in your system that may bite you in the ass later (e.g. some program might clobber your system libraries with some other versions).

Nigger, have you ever built anything from source? What do you think /usr/local/* is for?

So what, I can build those libraries too if my package system doesn't have them. I've done it before, and will most likely have to do it again someday. It's just not that big of a deal for me. I spent years meditating at the temple of Slackware. I know ./configure technique, I know make technique, and my style is flawless.
Anyway, for keeping your own stuff separate, there's been solutions for a long time now. I use the one called stow. It's easy, you can learn how to use it in 5 minutes flat.

F/OSS also benefits. Especially for those who like to stick to LTS distos. Handy to be able to use an up to day Krita or Kdenlive without PPA fuckery.

Works perfectly fine out of the box

Doesn't quite in Ubuntu 17.10. It mostly works, but the buttons are all mixed up in the Gnome Wacom config tool.

Do Flatpaks work with themes yet?

synfig.org/

What about this?

I think it's specifically for animation, be it vector or raster "cutout" style

Animation is art too. Why has nobody brought up OpenToonz?

metadata

I like OpenToonz, but I prefer TVPaint. But that's only because I've been using TVPaint since it was called Mirage back when Jesus was born. OpenToonz's UI is still something I have to learn to understand before I can switch over. I just don't have the time.

Wasn't there some kind of problem with the License and the EULA?

Toonz is a convoluted piece of crap with an UI from the neolithic ages.

What do you recommend for someone doing conventional animation?

That's true of basically all animation and video editing software.

The nature of this kinda software, unfortunately, lends itself to convoluted and confusing interfaces. Things haven't really gotten any better with more recent software either. Open Toonz is different, but it's really not much worse than the alternatives.

Yes.

I've read bigger tablets aren't worth the investment because you just end up using a small portion of it anyway because you end up just drawing relative to your screen/canvas size.

I haven't really looked through it but I wonder if there is a way to paint using farbfeld utils:

zzo38computer.org/fossil/farbfeld.ui/wiki?name=Documentation

I might look into this when I get back from finals could be neat.

I'd like to know about Huion Tablet support as well. I'm kinda wantingo to get one, as they're cheap as hell.

I'm looking to dive into drawing using only free/libre software and using Krita and WACOM tablet to learn on.
On that note, does anyone here know about David Revoy and his comic Pepper and Carrot? It's a webcomic supported entirely by donors and uses only free/libre software and tools. It's actually pretty cute and fun.

There is a tool, I have no idea what's going on with it though:

zzo38computer.org/fossil/farbfeld.ui/wiki?name=ff-xdraw

Yes, but it's a bit of a hack. Either you can manually install a theme as a flatpak, or the flatpak can auto install the theme you are using for you.

All of you Krita naysayers are missing the main point. What other awesome, open-sauce painting program out there is so furry friendly? Pfft. Not having Krita on your box is like hating cute puppies -- it's just wrong.

Kiki is a fairly marketable mascot, furriness aside.

Nigger absolute majority of mascots that aren't inanimate objects with eyes are cuddly furry animals.

I want to hug Kiki.

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of Tyson's posters and a mouse pad and donating to Krita. Fuck those assholes for giving him shit.

I'm no an animator but the only software that I know about animation are Pencil and synfig studio.

Mypaint > krita

I used Mypaint in the prehistoric era with good results. I'll check it out again since Krita is as powerful as its UI is unfriendly.

Krita is more powerful than Mypaint, but if you don't need the extra features, or CMYK, Mypaint does a fine job.

We all do, user.

Why doesn't Mypaint get more attention? This is actually a pretty alright drawing app.

Because GTK3?

This seems like a good place for OC.

That hasn't been updated in more than half a decade though.

what to use as digital audio workstation?

I know so far
Bitwig
Lmms
Reaper

anything else?

Same reason Rawtherapee doen't get as much attention as Darktable. Krita has kinda sucked all the oxygen out of the room, mindshare-wise.

Flatpak remove systemd as a dep a while ago.

Flatpak is probably going to "win" out over Snap. AppImage is different enough that it serves a slightly different function. Mainly, testing alpha & beta software more conveniently than either Flatpak or Snaps allow.

Just use Photoshop!
Photoshop is a REAL industry standard and it's used the world over.
Krita's mascot is stupid. Kiki? She's a squirrel! Just dumb.
And she lets others peek at her source code for pleasure and money. What a slut! She's probably had tens of thousands inside her day and night, even little boys and girls I bet!(gross)

Meanwhile, Photoshop has things locked down like a pure god fearing nun. Ain't nobody going to screw with your program on Adobe's watch! And it's guaranteed to make you successful! You want to make money and not support disgusting furriness, don't you?!

It's just a joke.

This tbh, freetards are kidding themselves.

Ebola-chan is my waifu!

This,
except without the irony of a weeabo freetard in denial.

>>>/reddit/

Yes. Yes she is.

Which maybe why Tyson had to clarify that he only does free work for FLOSS projects. I assume he might have also been trying to pacify these assholes.

I know it's a joke and all but some basic tools like free transformation is million times better in Krita then they are in Photoshop.

wrong.
kritas free transform blows. Photoshop lets you skew, scale and distort all by just grabbing the handles with modifier keys, and you can transform without any key shortcuts needed. Krita slows this to a crawl by having to select the transform tool, then use the shortcut, then select the tab for tool options, then select the transform mode. Complete shit for productivity , when will freetards learn?

Looks like Darktable supports Windows now:

github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-2.4.0rc1

Officially, I mean.

It's even worse for people who have memory issues, and are simply unable to memorize yet another set of required arbitrary shortcuts for a program they only use occasionally.

Blender can go to hell

CMYK support or simply import of photoshop files?
Full support, not yet (though there is some internal support for CMYKA already). But then, what it allows that can't be done in RGBA?
Import/export - there are plugins. GIMP is all about plugins and scripts. Separate and Separate+ for Tiff.
imagemagick can convert CMYK psd to RGBA png. XnView probably can do it too. In batches.
Okay, good point.
On the upside, between script-fu and Python-fu, if you have a clear idea of what you want, it probably can be easily automated - even without studying its quirks in details, just open help and RTFM on. Or ask someone who already does it, there are forums about GIMP scripting. Search engines still exist, and all that.
Seriously? GUI that does not look like a Christmas tree is a disadvantage?
Well, if you want to change Look&Feel, GIMP supports themes. Though I never actually messed with them, because default + small are good enough.

You know, I have no problem with paying a regular fee for a service. But they are not even providing any service for that money. Their only "service" would be to prevent me from using my own computer as I see fit. What a deal!

That's the key point about desktop SaaS products: you're not paying a regular fee for a service, you're paying a regular fee for a product. You never buy the software, you just rent it. Pic.

I want to smooch Kiki.

And then what?

Well then I'd snuggle that big bushy tail of hers.

As I pound her furry pu-

Purse?

It's a weird thing to do, but holy quads confirm.

Actually there is some service available if you buy 5000$ per month h24 7/7 support

And what kind of service can 5000 freedom credits buy you?

I want to get good enough to paint Kiki

Get a cheap Wacom tablet and DL Mypaint.

I feel like starting with pencil and paper instead of a $200 tablet would be better.

I can't

You can get Intuos tablets for 60 and under, but I still get your point.

There is also the fact that Mypaint follows a lot of GNOME conventions. Which are pretty alien outside of Gnome.

Here's some OC.

THEY TOOK THE PEPPER BRUSH OUT OF 2.9!!!!

Kek.

And now Linux is even more useless.

What the fuck?

There's literally no reason to use GIMP now. Why does it even exist?

Relax. You can still use it if you look under 'legacy' in the brushes menu.

Leave it to the drawfaggot to have no imagination

Since he's tangentially related to the topic, I thought I'd mention David Revoy has released a new Pepper & Carrot comic:

peppercarrot.com/en/article433/episode-24-the-unity-tree

Read it last night. God, I'm glad I donated now.

His art is top fucking notch, but he needs to get help on his English translations.

Lots of good reaction images in this one.

Ok, I've looked and I am finding NO R34 of this. What the hell?

GOOD

user, there is a literal hole in the internet.

FOSS OS has no software. FOSS comic has no R34. It's like pottery.

This bait is of poor quality.

I agree. P&C aren't for lewding

Holla Forums-approved freedom drawing tablet.

Blender is amazing. Once the Blender 101 project is up all the babbys may stop crying tbh.
youtube.com/watch?v=mN0zPOpADL4

Mad skills. Draw Miku-chan tbh.

That's not me. It's from a Holla Forums thread with etch-a-sketch reproductions of random pictures.

So there's a way to disable that retarded behaviour in Mypaint of undo based on time rather than individual strokes?

Holla Forums approved mascot, if nothing else.

I'll just add that to Tyson's archive. Ya could have posted this in the LMG too, yknow.

It's not better per se; it's just a lot simpler and lighter on resources. If you don't need CYMK, or the extra features Krita has, you can get on with Mypaint fine. It also runs better on low-powered hardware. Mypaint is the Budgie to Krita's KDE, basically.

David has done simi lewd stuff of them in the comics.

Only of that smug bitch Saffron from what I've seen. Shichimi is the best witch.

post the full image, user? i want it

How active is Mypaint development?

this is a nice thread

In case anyone was wondering, Krita is basically unusable witn Intel graphics on FreeBSD/TrueOS. Mypaint, on the other hand, works pretty well.

FreeBSD's gpu support is total shit outside of Nvidia, so that's not really much of a surprise.

csound :^)

For most of what I do image wise Gimp seems to get the job done just fine. I'm not a professional illustrator or anything, and I don't use my machine to draw. Mainly just chopping and editing. I find Gimp's layer interface familiar and comfy. No idea where I would even begin with Krita.

Ahm, just FYI guys, although is true that at the moment GIMP doesn't have the shape drawing tools it has path tools and where the shape tools are for selections it's one button away to convert any selection into a shape and the shapes can be stroked or edited as many times as you want without needing to modify the pixels of the image. It's pretty useful IMO although it's true the shape drawing tools should be there.

As a total fucking novice who wants to get into doing comics / character drawings using foss, what is a good recommendation as a basic stack for drawing, animating etc?

At the moment I have synfig and gimp but im looking into krita and mypaint now...

I have a really shitty chinese knock-off tablet I got for free with credit card reward points but money isnt a real problem for me.

Thoughts?

Gimp is aiming to get CMYK support after Gimp 2.10.

I use Gimp because it's free software, it respects my freedom. I use Gimp for what it is, it manipulates images. I don't use it for what it is not, a painting program.

Paint tool SAI has a really good feature where you can set a layer to binary colour mode and any pixel that does not have an alpha of 0 is completely opaque. It's useful for erasing stray pixels. How can you replicate that in Krita?

Krita and Mypaint are designed for paintings and drawings. Gimp is not designed for paintings or drawing, though that doesn't necessarily stop many people from painting using Gimp. I assume you are already familiar with Synfig.