New Moomin's Series Fund Project

So I don't know if this was shared before but there is a crowdfunding Moomin's project going on. Figured I'd pitch it here.

indiegogo.com/projects/moomin-animation--3#/

There is a new Moomin's series coming, and it's been funded Finland's YLE. But that doesn't always guarantee a success. They've bungled projects before (with public money no less). This funding project aims to not allow the new Moomin's series to stoop to crappy Flash animation, and instead be free to use the best of 2D and 3D integration to capture the original feel of artist's artwork.

So… Moomin's thread anyone? Help boost the signal if nothing else lads and lasses. Anyone have the show with reasonable English subtitles with Finnish dub?

I have only passing familiarity with Moomins. Can someone post some Moomin comics or cartoons?

HIGHLY SUSPECT AFTER THE SERIES WAS TAKEN OFF YOUTUBE DUE TO MTV COPYRIGHT CLAIMS

I loved the 90's animated Moomins (Snufkin is best character), so I'm quite interested in this. But the two women in the indiegogo video talk about "needing tolerance… now more than ever" which worries me. Yes, the original creator was a lesbian with a female partner, and yes the Moomins themselves were very kind, tolerant characters, but I never felt like it was a moralizing soapbox. If these new creators can't leave their egos and ideologies at the door, they're going to ruin it.

embed related is the intro to the 90's tv show, which I loved. I have the episodes, but they used to be all on youtube. Kinda sucks they're not, and now we see why.

Also one of my favorite scenes.

Was there any Moomin cartoon not animated or co-produced by Japan? They have at least 3 series made over there.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one movie. Moomin's on the Rivera. The non-Japanese episodes are pretty chill.

I found a 1980 Swedish special based on one of the books, with another made in 1993. Supposedly there's an Armenian special made in 2008, but can't find it. There's a bunch of shorts done in stop-motion or people in mascot costumes, though.

Still haven't found the reason for its popularity in Japan, unless it's just the cute designs.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. But I kind of hope it's just them knowing you need to use that sort of soap-box language in today's culture. But I hope it's only lip service. Tove didn't paint her characters as perfect and flawless, even ones that were representing herself and her lover. So if they keep that in mind, it won't be so bad.

That might just be it. They love cute stuff over there. Also the sort of rustic lands fairy-tale setting seems to be better received in Japan, especially in decades passed. I remember when they did the Grimm's Fairytales in the 80s around the same time as the Japanese series.

I ain't getting my hopes up, I just can't. I don't want to look forward to this, only to find it to be filled shit like Snork Maiden being mtf trans, and gay Snufkin. It'd kill me.

What if they pozz it?

I need to see this.

Hey Holla Forums

Its simple, cute and got big eyes, more than enough reason for its popularity

I wonder if they will extend the deadline again. They seem to be getting about 1~2% per day on donations. At that steady rate, I'd push it another 10 days to see if they will squeak by.

Just found out that Indiegogo only allows for extension once during their campaign. So this is the final run for this project.

It does seem to be going well. Some days they 1~2% growth, but some days it is a solid 3%. They are pretty close and I hope they succeed.

I will shill shamelessly for this one. Boost the signal guys. That costs you pretty much nothing.

Interesting

I'm coming for you, Holla Forums. I'm coming for ALL of you.

I approve of that anime girl statue in the window.

And this is amusingly like a few Finns I know.

HOL' UP

They need to get 3% per day and they are averaging 2%. Might not make it. Wish I had more of a social media presence, though saying that makes me feel dirty. But they will miss by something like 5% probably. Sad….

Surely this would be the Snork not Moomin? Moomin has a girlfriend, and friends.

Same here. It's rather eerie.

As an American I don't recall ever seeing this show, yet I get an odd feeling of nostalgia whenever I see screenshots.etc Maybe I have seen it when I was very little and it just stays buried in my subconscious

you can't deny the possibility

A bunch of animes from the late 80s to early 90s had a similar color and detail level. It can evoke feelings if you ever other animes from around a young age.

I didn't think the project would succeed. Figured they'd be a couple percents short. But… yesterday they got a lot of contributions. They might just make it. I'm sharing it everywhere I can.