Chromebooks

What's the verdict on these "computers"? Can anything useful be done with them or are they just throw away machines?

I've already installed linux (debian and ubuntu) on some Chromebooks for work just for fun but I didn't get deep enough to removing the Chrome OS and making it a completely dedicated linux machine.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.4chan.org/g/
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/c201.html
notabug.org/dimkr/devsus
ebaumsworld.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

boards.4chan.org/g/

Those are paragraphs, retard.

they're good for old people that just need to browse the web and check their emails but that's about it

They have seabios instead of the UEFI crap, so on some devices you can install a real distro or you can run a distro on top of the optimized botnet kernel.

disregarding the bullshit around jewgle, how well made are these things? they look worse than the era where you could get sub $200 netbooks new.

Good for a cheap laptop.
Just make sure you get a model that you can purge chrome os and install something good

You have to go back.

Those are one sentence paragraphs.

There is no way to justify using a newline to separate individual sentences.

Because the period already delineates sentences.

By making a newline for every sentence, you're just making it harder to articulate a coherent thought.

Because every point is stratified by a newline.

this isn't Holla Forums , nobody here wants to hear you spout stale ass maymays about user 's choice of line break frequency

Chromebooks are real good. I run Gentoo and Void on two C720s and they're real smooth. Just the placement of the "search" key is stupid as fuck. Had to write an xkb layout to map it to ctrl

They're definitely not as shitty as netbooks.

What do you mainly use them for?

Paragraphs separate ideas. One is asking if Chromebooks are useful. The other explains his current state. This is an 18+ English speaking board. Please take an English class Pajeet before you start embarrassing yourself.

Also kill yourself for being this stupid.

The ones with ARM cpu don't have the Intel ME stuff at lest. And the build quality is probably better than the Pinebook, but that one's only $100 new.
More infos here: libreboot.org/docs/hardware/c201.html

Thanks mane!

It probably doesn't help that most people (aside from mobile users) see posts like pic2 instead of pic1. which is why you should resize the window when taking screencaps.

I use the Gentoo one for android development and the Void one for university work

C201 is a pile of garbage. Flashed it with libreboot and put Parabola on it and it is just collecting dust now. Waaaaaay too slow for average tasksz even with 4gb ram - Firefox takes 50s to start, Libreoffice hangs the whole system, etc.
Get yourself a librebooted thinkpad and save yourself the trouble.

It doesn't have any graphics acceleration support what did you expect? Also I think there's a Devuan based distro on github for the c201 that has patches to fix most of the issues.

notabug.org/dimkr/devsus

which thinkpad would you prefer?

I got a t400. Don't get the R series whatever you do, they have lower build quality

Are Chromebooks good for coding?

I'm using a Chromebook right now. I think they're pretty comfy to use, even though they can't handle much more than a 1080p video.

I have my desktop if I want to do anything more than go on JewTubeTM or play osrs.

This is why phone posters should be banned

they work but not very well. You might as well just by a cheap ass netbook if that's what you're after. But if you're working an absolutely rock bottom budget for laptops but desperately want to buy new instead of used, you can make it work. Install a very light weight OS on it.

Some x86 ones can be useful, if loaded up with Gallium OS - it's basically Xubuntu with some chromebook-specific tweaks.

It's no different with regular laptops though. They're all pretty much 16:9 in the local stores where I live. I bought the cheapest one that had a matte screen and called it a day. Been limping along with this after my T61p mobo broke, but that one sucked too (16:10). In retrospect, a chromebook would have been better, since they have ARM cpu option and I don't want Intel shit anymore.

Are there any Chromeboks with a non-chicklet keyboard?

ebaumsworld.net/

Chromebook Pixel is 3:2. Try buying a win10 cucktop or apple bumpgate pro with a man's aspect ratio like that.

with the mali graphic acceleration it is somewhat usable

Nobody wants to read your retarded 12yo garbage. Fuck off back to /duh/.

if anything they last a while
and even if they break, they're fairly easy to repair
in addition, because they're so simple, they probably won't go obsolete for a while

Good way to put it in perspective.

A portmanteau of a stupid web browser and "book". Sounds legit

Are you too poor for Surface Pro? You must be poor for Pixel either.