Talos Workstation

Talos II is an IBM POWER9 compatible mainboard designed with an open source, owner-controlled CPU domain.
Default Specifications: 2 POWER9-compatible CPU sockets EATX form factor Supports up to 96 logical cores 16 DDR4 ECC RAM slots Individual 128GB DDR4 DIMM support Supports up to 2TB total main system memory 3 PCIe 4.0 x16 slots 2 PCIe 4.0 x8 slots 2 Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet ports 4 USB 3.0 ports 2 external 2 on internal header 1 USB 2.0 port 1 external RS-232 port 1 internal RS-232 port header 1 ASpeed BMC with OpenBMC 1 VGA video port

>no (((Trust)))Zone

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.powerpc-notebook.org/index.php?topic=156.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

$X000 no thanks

For that price, you'd think they can use something other than broadcom ethernet. Or just omit the on-board closed device and lower the cost.

/fucko/ or deepwebfags might buy that

does VGA port simply display framebuffer? POWER9 does not have an iGPU.

Yeah, there have been a hundred Talos threads on Holla Forums. And it's still the case that, as neat as it is, almost no user who'd want one has 5 grand burning a hole in his pocket.

what a sick joke. monitors must be connected digitally in 2017.

I don't get why people balk at the price, it's on par with a threadripper for not THAT much more given what it is, sure it gets expensive if you want the fuckers to make a full PC but mobo+CPUs are reasonable.
maybe I'm just a richfag?

Are you braindead? The TALOS doesn't have an iGPU. The VGA port is for text mode only. You need to plug in a dGPU via PCI-E if you want graphics.

All the good 4:3 monitors have VGA. They don't cost much either, since people are almost throwing them out. At any given time, I can find several 15-19 inch ones for $20-40 in local ads.

I'm not into modern games, so not used to spending thousands on computer. I could buy it, but it would just end up wasted. Most of the stuff I do would work fine on a Pentium II class machine with enough memory. Right now I'm looking at full monty ARM boards that go for less than the cost of this system's smallest memory module.
And tbh I prefer small-scale systems. I'd rather spend money on FPGA board, AVR stuff, and the devices required to program them. Or even old 80's computers and related (RC2014 and such). Plus test equipment like logic probes and o-scope. All that adds up, and I'd get more out of it in the long run.

I thought Tor had shit tier support on PowerPC, is it better on POWER9 or the same?

why won't niggers make slow and cheap variant?
what's the fucking point of:
?
Who will use that for?

Also, what's the point of open source PC if you need to install closed source botnet GPU to even display 640x480 graphics?

You do realize that there are more protocols out there than Tor, right? And even an idiot knows that Tor's hidden service functionality is fundamentally broken. The fact that normalfags with you even associate the deep web with Tor just shows how laughably ignorant the masses are.

Free as in expensive.

[Citation needed]

Someone should get to work on porting TempleOS to PPC.

POWER9 can be little endian which tends to be more compatible than big endian PPC, not sure if that's a problem with tor but it's a common one.

That's fair, but there's a difference between being a rip off and simply not catering to your demographic.

I am really looking towards the linux compatible RISCV chip coming out soon, they claim it will be great for a router or embedded PC.

You fucking moron. It's common knowledge that Tor was never made for hidden services.

That's what TALOS II is. A POWER9 CPU normally contains 12 or 24 cores, but Raptor cut it down to a quad core. The reason the original TALOS failed to meet its funding goal is because they wanted to sell $1000+ 8/10/12 core POWER8 CPUs and $3700 motherboards. TALOS II is about half that price.
TALOS II is based on high dollar server hardware, and scaling it down further than they already have would require engineering a custom chipset. They would likely save some money during manufacturing, but the cost of designing the chipset for such a low sales volume would mean they wouldn't be able to take much if anything off the final price.
The alternative to POWER9 is borderline underpowered embedded hardware from NXP. As an example, the PowerPC Notebook project is using a quad core 1.8 GHz PowerPC e6500 CPU with two DDR3L slots. It's probably enough for a typical desktop user but not enough for a workstation.
I agree, but the only way around that is to install a used part or a surplus Nvidia 210. The user can always bring their own GPU if it matters to them.

Tor always worked for me on my PowerPCs.

If it wasn't because of TOR, cia nigger wouldn't got hacked in the first place retard.

Whatever the reasons are, TALOS II is still too strong and too expensive, useless

That sounds great. Why isn't that shilled on Holla Forums instead of stupid TALOS?

So e6500 is better choice than TALOS II for 99% of Holla Forums users.

Is Nvidia 210 open source?

Doubtful that it's open.

Too strong for you, not for others.

Works with Noveau.

TALOS is still open. Money is merely money but open computers are more important.

The big problem with dedicated graphics is the proprietary VBIOS that many cards use, even older ones. This is why Libreboot uses internal graphics on their supported laptops instead. I'd love to build a workstation out of this, but a powerful GPU to go with it that respects my freedom is something I don't think exists yet.

TALOS has working boards. The only thing holding them up from shipping right now is IBM fucking around with the release dates of the CPU.

GNU PPC notebook? Well they have a block diagram...
forum.powerpc-notebook.org/index.php?topic=156.0

We need more OpenPOWER boards but right now. Today TALOS is the only one who is close to actually shipping something. If anyone knows of some other project please bring it here.

You an still find 680s in the wild, I think.

is that an actual order for hardware, or just a preorder?
I still have a 'preorder credit' on a Pyra because of you guys. That must be two years with no hardware.

Pyra is shipping in two months tm

Can it play Video Games?

Talos gives you the freedom to have no C on your computer whatsoever. You can be free from all mallocs, printfs, and null-terminated strings. You can even be free from ASCII and Unicode. If you do not have this freedom, your computer is not free.

Unemployment is a bitch ain't it?

That has no connection to anything.