Character Design Thread

Post your shit faggots, get advice, ask for suggestions, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

spikedrewthis.tumblr.com/post/64136324548/this-is-everything-i-know-a-24-hour-comic-about
lateralaction.com/articles/artists-internet-marketing/
writersandartists.co.uk/artists/advice/114/exhibiting-and-working-on-commission/self-promotion/marketing-yourself-as-an-artist
mariabrophy.com/art-marketing/self-promotion-is-not-a-dirty-word-11-ways-to-market-yourself.html
artstation.com/artist/daandric
battlesecretary.smackjeeves.com/
gimaldinov.deviantart.com/art/How-to-draw-wooden-plank-267517599
ryky.deviantart.com/art/Easy-wood-tutorial-413160503
davidsequeira.deviantart.com/art/wood-474644070
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hey, I remember that demon from the animation thread.

So who is he a detective? I like the massive chin he has.

Is that le spooks man?

Doesn't look like it. Chin is too big and he normally doesn't wear a fedora. That and he usually has a shit eating grin on his face.

He looks more like Mark from Holla Forums.

I've posted this here before, sorry if it's annoying. Do feel free to shit on it.

I'm all for self improvement and stuff, but holy fuck, you're self deprecating spam at this point, you fucking faggot. Stop posting like such a passive fucking pussy

By the fucking way, when your shit looks better than OP, you have no right to be such a passive fuck

Just erring on the side of caution. Don't wanna suck my own dick here, y'know?

Hahaha, no. He looks way too fucking masculine to match that backstabbing kikes makeup.

Then again, Jews do like to liven up their appearances like that of the "goyim". Take (((Ralph Bakshi))) for example.

Then I dunno man, just simply ask explicitly for critique, no need for reverse psychology.
Like why do we not see the bind's shadows on her head, and also work on your like quality, you faggot: use broader strokes, etc. Her arms and legs also feel a bit short but it might be the perspective.
I guess if you really wanted people to rip you a new one, you could shit on everyone else and act arrogant, but I also doubt you'd get better critiques this way.

compliment baiting is what faggots do

Is that a bear or hyena gnoll?

dunno, really

this is just a mess

smthn smthn

Is she a slave?
That's a she, right?

its whatever ya want it to be ;)

Oh fug :DDD

here's a sketch for a character in an animatic I might be working on. She's supposed to be a spoiled girl in the 1800's…

though I worry her face has to much "gumball" in it.

Looks like Toriel, Nicole Watterson, and Rose Quartz fused into one being.

Perhaps I need a different design philosophy… and to reinvent my art a bit considering this is the second time Rebecca Sugars stuff has been brought up when I posted my art.

Keep at it, man. Don't let your potential go to waste. Just try to find more inspirations.

Thanks, I'm probably gonna put together a big inspiration/reference sheet of art I like tonight to try and develop some intuition with my style.

Best of luck, my dood.

Remember: All styles are a derivative reality, so if you need to, start from realism, and then exaggerate.

Spoiler for tiddies

Kill yourself.

yep, did quite a bit of life studies and sometimes I'll do some minor life studies on things I have trouble with. Now I need to figure out some good design and stylization.

Sad thing is I just wanted her to have some drills. Not once did Toriel's design come to mind especially seeing as I don't even like that game.

But I guess that's why it's good to get sketches out so you can pinpoint this stuff. I think I'm going to try and give her a less "over the top" look.

It won't help, the design is plagarism no matter how you dress it up, faggot. At least have the decency to plagarise from something good next time.

>>>/art/
>>>/loomis/

tfw youre so artistically retarded that everything looks the same for you

Anyone wanna remake it? I'm in the mood to do some cellsss.

That slime/gum guy should start a new one.

Left-side looks like an edgier Moguro Fukuzo

I think the perspective on that table is wrong, I am shit myself though so i cant point out more stuff, maybe the neck being to thick?

the neck anatomy is kinda wrong, also upper arm muscles are wrong. You're right on the table tho

You've exaggerated the arms and legs which is fine if you're trying to convey strength but it makes the head, and to a lesser extent the torso, misproportionate. Especially the head, since the thickness of the neck makes the head seemingly tiny compared to the rest of the body.
This is nitpicking since it doesn't have to do with your drawing ability, but I'd drop the earing(?) since the ear looks thin and it might tear it in combat. Also elevate the loincloth so it actually rests on the hip because as it is now it's of no practical use since it would just keep slipping down its legs.
It's not a bad drawing just take a look at the whole figure and wonder if it seems "right" to you and if it conveys what the character is (fierce warrior?, raggedy jungle cat?)

Can we get a whole body shot?

The torso seems too small and its hard to assess when the arms aren't finished. Also another drawing without the chain might make it easier to assess if the head is proportionate with the rest of the body. If you think it looks right, then add the collar.

I think it looks good but consider adding some more hair features at the front and top of her head that connect with her large locks, because at very first glance I didn't realise what they were.

Moar please

aight thanks for the crits man, ill definitely try and fix the issues regardin my shiz

Nice to see you're still around.

Yeah, my friend didn't know what the drills were at first either, so those are definitely going to have to be changed for a quicker read. When I have the time I'll update her look a bit. Probably gonna get rid of the Gumball looking mouth as well.

Thanks

Don't forget to post it here when you're done.

Nice

I've always been here man, just too much of a pussy to post unless I feel the thread might die/feel my shit's decent enough

I just reread what I wrote and I just want to clarify something. I think the arms and legs are the right thickness but you just need to increase the size of the head and torso to match. If you were to decrease the size of the limbs that wouldn't make the character seem as strong. That's not to say that you can't play around with the size of the limbs. A lot of people draw the "bodybuilder" type with comically small legs but that doesn't match your character or your style.

Not really done, just some quick edits before the NHL game starts.

aye man i agree, and thanks. gotta work on so many things, anatomy, proportions, perspective, value, etc etc

heh

Reminds me of Alopex.

dealin with crocs

Nice. The only thing that bugs me is the scales on his neck side. I don't know maybe it should be smaller or add more scales to the back of his neck or something? I hate to nitpick like this but that's the only criticism I can think of. Good work though user.

true, it was annoyin me a bit but alas, i was too lazy to go back and deal with it. guess ill do it soonish tho. thanks for the crit man

Your welcome man. I like your work.

Really good so far

there's something wrong with my brushstrokes in general but i dont know what exactly. i guess the croc head was a step in the right direction, but im feelin like ive just taken three steps back.

pretty schway cyber samurai you got there cowboy

art is hard and I need to practice more

I'm not sure I see it. Could it be a matter of choice of brush?

nah, the brush is righteous. i just dont know how to use em. just got an intuos pro m for my 17th tho so its gonn be a lot more comfortable

Right on, these are great.

yup, extremely comfortable. now i just gotta stop worrying so much about scratching it, baby

Boy do I sure love drawing simplistic robots.

I think I may actually start up a comic or something. Is there anything out there on being successful with this sort of thing? I'd hate to fall in the traps so many other webcomic artists have.

I take it your a fan of My life as a Teenage Robot.

There's this one webcomic that uses Krita and Blender in some instances called Pepper and Carrot. All of it's "funding" comes from pateron and it's not actual trash.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Free is actually Free and Open Source, or as I've recently taken to calling it Free as in Freedom.

Krita took a little getting used to, but it's easily the best program I've used for drawing.

Having never used Photoshop or any really advanced drawing programs before, I have no fucking clue how to use Krita. My experience is the bare minimum of SAI and Paint.NET but Krita barely even shares the same shortcuts, it's so confusing. Maybe I'm an idiot but Photoshop and Krita both look like total jungles to navigate and to even use the basic functions for.

That's because photoshop is bloated with a decade of plugins and filters and limited use tools and gimmickry. It's not bad after toying with it for a while, but I like Krita better.

I said I have the same problem with Krita. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I had some experience of SAI before switching to Krita and it was quite hard at first. I think what helped is that I didn't use a lot of features to draw (a handful of brushes, all of which were already there in Krita) so I didn't have a lot to relearn.
Maybe you should redefine krita's shortcuts into your own. You can also completely change your workspace by moving dockers around, if it helps.

Press some buttons. Click through the menus. Google some shit. This is how I've learned to used pretty much all software.

Seconded, there's nothing like exploring a software yourself to help make things stick.

I think Krita actually advertised with that comic for a bit. I probably won't make something so extravagant and just use color for the shading to help define the form. I figure there are a ton of webcomics with terrible art and writing making a lot of money, so I might as well give it a shot considering I know how to draw a bit and have some ideas. I'll also have Morbi as an example of what not to become.

Indeed

Same, still getting used to some of the shortcuts and I'll probably have to watch some tutorials, but it's definitely not the most complicated software I've used.

Seconding for stuff on being a successful webcomic artist

This video should be mandatory viewing for anyone that wants to make a comic.
Doing a full series fucking sucks, it'd be better just to make multiple short comics/one-shots since it's easier to plan out the entire thing in one sitting instead of making shit up as you go or getting burned out during important moments.

Which is exactly what I'm doing now.
It's very dumb.

>>>/art/
You actually understand light and anatomy.

bit of a stretch to say he understands anatomy with those midget limbs and the lighting is a bit illogical in some spots

spikedrewthis.tumblr.com/post/64136324548/this-is-everything-i-know-a-24-hour-comic-about

It's mostly the upper arms that are too short and the thighs could be a bit more rounded to imply foreshortening. And the fact that the wires on the right side of her body are should be in shadow. My point is that he's at least thinking in three dimensions

This. Im doing something similar with my short comics, and sometimes I switch modes from quick drawing to, giving detail over little things that make me slow down the whole process.

I burn out over the concept if I stay on one page for too long. At this point I'm like fuck it, I gotta keep the ball rolling otherwise I'll be stuck in the mud again feeling shitty that I'm not getting more done.

Its very much a balance between a speed drawing exercise and a labor of love type of situation

Listen to Spike when she tells you never work pro bono. Suckers working for free is why we don't have an industry in Australia.

anyone has advice for character design, im new an now im stuck, im working on a 3d model for a game demo i want to make, but i only made the head. i cant go a further because i didnt do any concept art. any advice on stuff like clothes, and hair, i really would be grateful for it

There was this old thread on /ic/ back in the day that was fantastic for character design. It was archived for the longest time but has been lost. I think I may have a screenshot of it on my computer though. If I find it I'll post it.

I wish I could help but I have no clue how to draw on a PC/Tablet/Electronic shit. What's the theme you're trying to go for?

TFW when I inadvertently created a tumblr OC without even realizing it.

she looks so safe that a pet capybara would make her design tenfold riskier and unique

Well you wouldnt be wrong, its only been 4-5 years since I created her. Because I wanted a punk rock kinda girl, but now her look is synonymous with tumbler and the only thing I can do to differentiate her from that kind of crowd is the the scenarios I put her in. She likes to drink, she's not ashamed of her body, she'd probably fuck ya then kick you out in the morning. She's crass and unapologetic but the devil is in the details at this point

Some Concept art, a friend of mine drew up

Pretty cute.

Oh and here's Fairy MILF again

I usually envision milfs as being a bit more on the thick side, but maybe it's because I have rather boring tastes.

Fuck this makes me wish I could draw.

Then learn, faggot. It's not that hard, it's just tedious

It was her nickname from an old Holla Forums thread

Learn how to draw

DO IT

Any suggestions for this character's design?

Blondie looks good, the dogs head doesn't match the sleek body. The body is mostly rounds where as the head and neck are straights and sort of boring visually. Put some curves against your straights and keep the word "dynamic" in mind.

Will keep this in mind, thanks user

Is that Luna and Friender?

Nope

Add some twisting for the cables on the dog's neck to emphasize the head turn, perhaps.

Will take note of that.
So only thing that's off is Randall's head and neck while Marietta's fine

I think so, which should be easy to fix. Fill a page full of heads and just copy and paste them on the body to test them.

If you continue to have trouble with it, there's a book called Force Dynamic Animal Drawing that should help, but I think you'll get it.

Where did you learn? Everything I'm finding on startpage is all buy shit. I have a tablet so I'm good on that.

Check these for art books and tutorials
>>>/loomis/
>>>/art/
>>>/ani/
I personally learned/am learning using CTRL+paint, Loomis, Vilppu, Hampton, Uldis Zarins, and 3DPD.

I'll also be taking these into note

Do it the retarded (my) way. Start by making shitty little doodles and shit without knowing jack shit about fundamentals, and then learn fundamentals from loomis books or other online resources. Look at what makes aesthetics. Look at what shapes make up reality, cartoons, etc. and what shapes break down those same things. Most importantly, experiment. By the way, draw something, no matter how bad it is, every day. Even if it's absolute shit, you're improving by at least forcing yourself to create something.

This is literally the first thing I've ever drawn, even shitty overstylized doodles help? Huh.

we all have to start somewhere, user

It shows that you at least know some basic figures.

Looks like she's squeezing a melon between her arms in the last one. Better than Araki's rough sketches at least.

Posting some old art for MIST my friend made

She is holding a melon there.

LEWD

>>>/a/

some sketches, kinda sorta fallin under character design?

Nice Jojo reference.

Nice dude. Didn't know you still posted here.

Is 1st pic supposed to have sagging breasts or are those tapes hanging?

what does the letter 'a' have to do with anything there? go back to sesame street with your abc's, fag.

ive never seen breasts saggin from a helmet, have you?

How's that Magic idea of yours going user?

Real nice.

Here's a somewhat grotesque thing.

I kinda want to hug her.

Looks like a Vortigaunt in drag

Pleakley's crossdressing is out of control

any chance you've got some arm studies you've done you wouldn't mind posting? You seem to have a really good grasp on them.

i would if i had any. i dont even remember the last time ive studied anatomy or used refs

huh, well either way I love how you are able to capture form and silhouette so well. looks great

also, I wonder what is more work
a comic, VN, or shitty flash animation…

a comic. comics are incredible hard to do if youre going for a really good comp and quality art

I'd say animation is pretty fucking hard too. Even if you're going for a shitty one it better be entertaining, and even that isn't a walk in the park.

I'll tell you what's work! Being a dragon! That's work!

last one looks like gappy from jojolion
i appreciate that

Thanks.

Wish I was better at character design.

most of the stuff i try to make unplanned comes out the best

Hm.. it's hard to decide what I want to do. Both comics and animation seem to take a ton of time and effort, while VN's are relatively easy to make but only hit a certain niche and get a bit boring to work on. I'm thinking about going the comic route but I've gotta figure out a way to cut corners. Takes me about an hour an a half to make a page and ink it, but I might be able to cut out the inking and go for a straight color look and make that even easier by going to one of those sites that give free color palettes…

wakka wakka!

I've always wanted to get figures this nice and round, but my lineart/figuredrawing is sorta ass-backwards and a bit fucked.

Here's a little WIP example.

an ancient automaton

I would advise you to study anatomy, that way you'll be able to get those nice and round shapes you want. Even if it's at a surface level, understanding a bit about the main muscles can help you draw the roundness of the deltoids that's not prominent in your drawing/style, for instance.

While drawn with a better grasp of anatomy, I feel like it arguably looks less robotic than his.

I had some character designs posted in a different thread that appears to be older thread…? Or a variation of OC thread…Is it okay if i post it here too?

Any good/quick online sources for anatomy?

posemaniacs.com

Sure, go ahead.

Alright. So this is one of my characters for some fantasy thing I've been working on for 8-9 years

That's fucking amazing. I… i'm sorta at a loss for criticism.

If you're not a professional artist I'm gonna digitally slap you across the face.

Because honestly, you would offer some good competition to up-and-coming concept artists.

I'm sure a lot of stuff is wrong with arm length proportions (especially on older drawings)
What do you think about the character himself (at first glance/guesswork, without you knowing his personality/background)

Yes I am…or at least trying to be. I'm barely making a penny.
I think I can top them in true concept art (brainstorming, design and sketches), but I'm slower when it comes to some forms of matte and more polished promo painting. I'm more on the illustration side. My PC is breaking apart and so is my tablet so it's getting harder and harder to do digital stuff.

I have other characters but I can't promise as many sketches and complete designs. Want me to post it?

I don't draw nearly as much OC as I should (I'm more of an autistic fanartist than anything else), but I do get a kick out of doing sketches redesigning characters.

Please do. What do you work on, user? I know it's kind of selling out, but with your art you could probably get big if you released comics and put up a patreon or something.

Only problem I can see is the bow's length seems inconsistent, the shading is extremely impressive on the last two.

Shoot, man.

Do you have a formal portfolio online, a website that hosts your work? (If you haven't already, I would suggest starting an ArtStation profile. ) How do you network?

I admit I'm doing a lot of research myself on how to get an artist career off the ground (especially since I'm debating whether or not I should go to art school), but it helps that I know some people in the business and am going out of my way to ask others online with experience for advice.

I may not necessarily like the marketing aspects that I'm researching and trying to learn, but I feel with the nature of "everybody knows each other" in the entertainment industry and the trend of successful youths becoming increasingly entrepreneurial that they're necessary for increasing the probability of achieving my goals. Every artist that's become prominent in the industry, I hypothesize, got there through a combination of decent skills and self-promotion.

Some articles that *might* be helpful (that I just search'd a a few minutes ago):

lateralaction.com/articles/artists-internet-marketing/
writersandartists.co.uk/artists/advice/114/exhibiting-and-working-on-commission/self-promotion/marketing-yourself-as-an-artist
mariabrophy.com/art-marketing/self-promotion-is-not-a-dirty-word-11-ways-to-market-yourself.html

I'm going to see what one of my industry contacts (technically he's in an internship) thinks of your work, though he works primarily in visual development.

Don't you mean more robotic? Pretty sure that a better grasp of anatomy would make his drawing less robotic and more organic than mine.

Teach me, O' Swami

Alright so here's another OC. This qt is very tall by design since she struggles to hide and fit into general population but is unsuccessful due to obvious reasons. She sports 2 major design patterns. You can spot the difference by the hair length. Longer one is when she is still innocent girl trying to fit into the world. Shorter hair is when she becomes an assassin.

I have this story I'm developing for a long time. I'm dragging it from high school and I've been using it to improve my characters/environments with proper backstory line/worldbuilding.
I have a patreon but I didn't set it up. I'm struggling with deciding what prices/awards are alright since I don't want to lock my viewers out behind a paywall.

The biggest problem is that I'm in the gray zone. I'm not good enough to compete with industry professionals and yet I'm too expencive for the bottom tier plebs. My style also doesn't help, being stuck between east and west, /a/ guys don't like my because of the realism, west guys don't like be because fo anime influences.
I already have 2 main portfolios (artstation and deviantart) along with many small ones tied to some freelance websites (upwork,freelancer,twine,behance)

artstation.com/artist/daandric

old dude designin

dude, the shapes in the last one are nutty, great job man

I like these, a lot.

Thanks. What do you think about the character? Cmon, I need more than just "me like it" Anything you don't like?

I Like your strokes

I've been on vacation and planning to relearn how to draw… and as for how Magic works, I reworked it a but but can't say much else

I drew an anthropomorphic train.

you're pretty good. I like that you have a good grasp of anatomy and tones down, something I wish I had.

Huh, I like that. It isn't perfect but there's something endearing about your drawing… it's like one of the better Saturday morning cartoons.

thanks. a common one I get from people is that it "looks like 90s anime," which is something I think I would have been pissed off to hear when I was loomis-ing hard in school, but am totally ok with now.

How do you get eyes that nice?

Yeah, I think it looks good to go. If you can do some light background and prop art you should think about starting a small comic or something.

Actually, from your guns I'd say your past the "light" phase with the props.

Got her an idea for her superhero costume.

Next OC is appearing longest in the story so his aging is most noticeable.

I think /k/ would like you.
Dude I'm trying so hard to get more color on my digital drawings.

It's much more complicated than that. Simply drawing background behind characters is not what makes a comic. Also drawing backgrounds is much, much harder.

yeah, i am trying to get a webcomic going. i got a couple of pages done, and hopefully i can make it a habit to keep updating.

battlesecretary.smackjeeves.com/

I post when I can

Wicked lines and shapes

How'd you learn to draw guns?

i use basic shapes as building blocks to help get the aspect, direction, proportion and scale down, not unlike a gesture drawing for a human figure, then slowly add details where necessary. my autism and preference leans more towards modern day guns, but you can use these skills for literally any prop you want to draw.

it looks like you already have a good grasp of lighting and colors! try working with limited palettes maybe?

edgy and cool, i love it!

awesome, thanks for the tips

I'd say learn to draw each weapon part (like trigger mechanism, barrel, stock, mag etc.) then combine whatever like lego. You can use a basic geometric/lowpoly shape to determine the overall style.

Line weight mostly, specifically from dark top (eyelashes) to soft bottom while drawing a circle.

Also, the placement of the pupils and how much whites are showing in the eyes help. If they're staying straigjt ahead, move the two pupils slightly closer to each other to avoid the uncanny valley if each pupil is dead center in each eye.

old character

Old character design or old character?

I like that hat. I wanna draw him/she/it

do more of the bottom left grill

old character design. its a dude. id explain the whole autistic lore ive made but i fear its too dumb

it probably is, but post it anyway for my amusement.

you dont deserve

I got some rock piles.

rock solid work

Which channel would pick my OC up?

What is he anyway? I'm struggling to understand the concept…

Not just a rapist, he's the RAPEST.
Rape, raper, rapest.

a prototype of a genetically engineered line of private soldiers. dude was a bit too smart and went rogue. bam bam goes the gun

God dammit, Carlos.

Gotta love the 3rd pic; what program/brush didja make this with?

Girl is a zombie, guy is a fucking autist. I'm still learning.

I'm using Krita with the Pencil_Tilt brush.

stop making me want to fug rocks user.

Surely you meant hug, user. I don't think the other option would work.

If there's a will, there's a way!

I wish I were any good at faces. Still WIP, though.

Funky anatomy, weird name, and other things, but what do you guys think?

It's a tranny isn't it?

it's not supposed to be

not supposed to be spoilered fuck

The sculptor in me loves these tectonics.

It's good for personal sketching but never to present to people online.

yeah, that's true. I just wanted to put it out there and see what you guys thought.
next time though!

Props for having the courage to do so. Keep practicing.

yet you must use it or die?
nice style

big hat marie

What a cutie.

Genndy Grievous before his horrible accident?

What graphics tablets do y'all use? I think mine is seriously hindering my ability, it's a cheapo wacom.

an ancient and barely working Genius F610

I've got a wacom too, an Intuos 3 cheapo too because I got it second-hand. It's great because it's big and thus comfortable.

combat robo

What kind of wacom?

it doesnt matter in the slightest. if it works, nothing's stoppin him from reachin greatness

Yeah I know. The tablet doesn't make the artist. I was just curious of what model. I use a five year old bamboo wacom and I do just fine.

desperate

desperation

Not bad but a bit messy.

thanks for sayin my sketches arent finished, i truly didnt know that

Did two versions of the exact same character because I genuinely love them.

post more of her

My friend i really like this.

I guess I'll poke my head out of the QM threads for once. Here are some recent sketches for a story and setting that I've had in the works for a very long time.

-Reina's gear is getting very close to something that I'm happy with, but I'm a little iffy about how little color it's got. She's meant to operate stealthily, so vibrant colors are out of the question. It may just be a matter of needing to up the vibrancy of the neutrals I used (i.e. the bodysuit has a bluish cast, I may just need to push it a little farther).

-Doc's gear is in a much earlier stage of development, this being only my second pass at it. I'm not all that pleased with how the sketch turned out, but it gives me a basis for more iteration. In particular I plan to simplify the overall shape of his vest. I'm trying to avoid the kind of over-saturation of detail and ultra-complex geometry that's become the norm in sci-fi armor designs. He's a medic, and is the only member of his team without any prior military/paramilitary experience, so his armor prioritizes protection over mobility. The lower legs are protected by thick flexible casings, allowing him to comfortably crouch/kneel in virtually any terrain while working on injured teammates.

(is no one going to check those impressive digits?)

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you when it comes to obstacles. I'm pushing hard to get better but finding the time is proving to be more difficult than the actual practice.

I'd say add some dark green or khaki somewhere. Either in a strapped carrying piece or something. Just somewhere. Cause all I see is Old Snake and it just feels right to have that color mixed in.

My character is a line. She likes planes and making plans for the future. Her positive points are that she's really thin and sometimes she's right (more often curvy though). Her weakness is that it's hard for her to consider alternative solutions to a problem when she's already got one in mind.

I wanted to do something vaguely dieselpunk with a simplistic, cutesy twist, so here's Dieselmaid Anzio.

Did I say Dieselmaid? I meant to say Gladiator.

I'm going to be rich

this was the last I drew of the character. Since then I've been taking my art in a different direction

aaaand then there's this witchy I dug up.

I'd fuck it.

Second.

Nice sketches though.

Needs more fumes

Electric doesn't fit well with dieselpunk, does it?

And the exhaust?

Th-they're not entirely machine, though…

Diesel punk would work with radio valves, loop antenna, bakelite switches, etc.
You just gotta do the research, find industrial motifs that match the genre/era.
Like maybe put a water-cooled jacket and a canvas ammo belt on the gun. Cooling fins, wooden or bakelite furniture, toggle-lock action…

What's DP include? Anything from Edwardian to WW2, isn't it? Between Steampunk and Atomic Age Googie.

I took a bit of inspiration from wolfenstein TNO, admittively…
I gotta say, atomic age has some nice raygun designs.

And Killzone, to, I remember their ships looking very cool

I don't know how to make a helmet exactly "dieselpunk". Also, these kinds of mask holes are a major pain in the ass.

Google World War One body armour, shit is CRAZY.

Tried a mask like this.

MY NAME IS PRINCE
AND I AM FUNKY

They're alright

I remember the russians having some pretty awsome ones.

Seeing a Brewster-armored platoon advancing towards you must have been so fucking eerie.

How do you get these 2nd hand?

Not the same user but I found one in a garage sale

It was a gift, but I think they found it through either ebay, amazon, or our local craigslist equivalent.

That's a good option because you can immediately check its wear (if it's scratched, especially).

There are a lot of people who buy tablet in a surge of inspiration of becoming an artist. Also a lot of parent buy them for their kids who use it once or twice. It can be quite a good bargain.

You could always try a thrift store too.

Personally go with the older models(but not too old), most of them have more features at a bargain price.

Most important thing is that the guy you're buying from still has spare tips in perfect condition. Everything else i fine. Technology of tablets hasn't changed much in the last ~7 years when it comes to budget/starter tablets

As for wooden/bakelite furniture, how would that be doable in SAI or krita?

There's a few digital at tutorials on wood at Deviantart.
gimaldinov.deviantart.com/art/How-to-draw-wooden-plank-267517599
ryky.deviantart.com/art/Easy-wood-tutorial-413160503
davidsequeira.deviantart.com/art/wood-474644070

On some older ones the tips are really quite durable and non-removable.

Appericate it.

Any more examples on this kind of clay modelling?

I really hope that's not clay

Guessing it's plasticine or something of the sort.

Following up on this with a second in a different pose/style.

Nice

Scrolling through the thread, if anyone's still reading this thread for comic advice, I have some.

The most important aspect to creating an engaging and successful comic isn't anatomical knowledge, or creating lavishly detailed backgrounds, the only thing that truly matters is being able to tell a good story.

Now obviously there's way more to it than that, you need to learn how to frame things properly to convey the emotion of the panel, the timing of events, which parts of a sequence of events to show, the implications of just how much you're showing, etc.
But at it's core, ultimately you just need to be really good at telling a story.

Obviously being able to draw the human figure well will help, likewise so will perspective, lighting, you know. But nothing will cover up for terrible writing.

This goes for both long form and sunday funnies types. A joke is only as good as it is funny, after all. So don't think you can skimp on learning about writing, just because your'e doing one offs.

There's a metric fuckton more, but that's probably the most neglected part I see. If your comic wouldn't be exciting to tell people about, then it won't be exciting to read.

im trying to look for some inspiration for hair design, i got almost everything, but hair. and im coming up with nothing, do you guys have any advice?

Not sure if this is the right thread but close enough
>very clumsy inventor Possibly with parkinson's or something?
fucks up a date with the girl he likes by spilling a drink all over his shirt she doesn't really care, but our inventor friend is too self conscious

pretty lighthearted and silly story, i'd like to see this in action.

I think everyone here is aware of this, but thank you anyway

Depends on which hairstyle you want. Futuristic? Fantasy? Everyday modern? PC? Modern hairstyles are by far easiest because you only need to go check your nearest night club/rock concert (whatever you're into) and look at people. But in my experience, don't spend too much time thinking about hair because when it comes to actual comic writing and movement, it all comes down to a roughly similar shapes in action sequences.

Even just a good character, personality or design wise, can save a story completely.

Personality is magnified by hair.

This is literally the first thing i've ever drawn
thoughts?

Oooh, is it some sort of biomechanical robotic kelpie?

Do they sell covers for those like they do for the wacoms? Kelly Turnbull was talking about how she got some for hers cause she abuses the shit out of it.

So after looking around the board, I thought this was the best place to ask this question. Just why isn't there a drawthread on this board? Is it under another name? Do people just not care enough to have one around?

I'd fhug it

because Holla Forums drawthread was ruined by horny autists who just want free porn, so drawfags left.

Spruced it up just a wee bit. Say, what the fuck's with all the spam on Holla Forums today?

Seconded. I would also do you-know-what and also take responsibility.

Hot rifle, what cartridge is it chambered in?

Dragon sniper girl sounds like a damn good idea

Talking about threads dying, did the animation thread pass the bucket?

Prob'ly. Have some ass.

A fair ass to conclude a big thread.
My god, it's 4 months old.

That's a shame, the tumblr thread's also dead as dick, too. Sage because this ass is totally not worth a bump.

Thread's on autosage anyway.
I'd bump that ass regardless.
Also remember that the arms, shoulders… are shapes too. That'll help when you need to wrap something around them like the backpack's straps

Why yes, user, it is!

Thinking about it, it might be closer to a kappa than a kelpie.

One two more witchbolds for my score.

Very Silent Hill-esque. I like it.