Not Enough Plot in Cartoons?

What are your thoughts on this Holla Forums?

Just watch anime.

First off, fuck off with the youtube shit.

Second off, yes. Cartoons are without plot, development, love, or care. There's just this retarded mindset that cartoons can only be shitty comedies or some bland hipster shit that doesn't know what it wants to be. Animation can be so much fucking more but people and companies refuse to push that line. Because it's easier to settle for mediocrity. It's gonna take serious decline for things to improve. Like to the point of the big cartoon channels going almost bankrupt. Really we just need a new animation studio to do their own thing. If indie books are the best hope for comics then the same will have to be done for cartoons/animation.

Or just watch some fucking anime. There's a lot of shit anime but there's way more good anime with actual plot than there is for cartoons.

These people have been spoiled way too much

Fuck off shill

This is cancer

Just watch freaking anime man

Recommend some anime I just got into anime semi-seriously, most I watched as a kid was toonami stuff and ghibli movies. Used to love gundam wing as a kid but it's ass garbage, just recently watched Code Geass, Parasyte, and ROD (ova).

The first two were good with some glaring problems, nothing really blew me away.

It is. I cannot stand these nu-male infomercial media channels.

What genre do you like

Is he retarded? The show has been on for how many fucking years and almost nothing has fucking happened. You could condense everything in steven universe into like 10 episodes.

We don't need action or plot-oriented cartoons but if a show has a plot it should stick to it instead of meandering about.

Depends heavily on what you like. There's probably a few good Ghibli films you haven't seen. A lot of unrelated good movies I could recommend that are extremely well animated too.

Giant robots, action, suspense
Forgot to say I just watch Deathnote, what a great show but it takes a dive after L. Muh feels stuff if it's done right.

I saw Howls Moving Castle, Princess mononoke, Spirited away, and My Neighbor Totoro. I didn't see the mermaid(?) one poyo or poco or whatever because it looked like I'd hate it.

I watched paprika and I don't understand why anyone likes it it bored the shit out of me

I'm tired of people demanding for more ongoing narratives, this approach is wahat ruined South Park, especially in Season 20

I really hate these people

if by "plot" he means "relationship teasing bullshit in place of actual tension" then no.

I'll give ya some movie reccomendations to start out with for now.

Also check out Tokyo Godfathers and Jin Roh Wolf Brigade.

There's nothing wrong with ongoing narratives. It ruined South Park because it wasn't funny and dragged on too long.

It's funny that the two you didn't provide pics for are ones I already saw, thanks for the recommends looks good.

That's the problem. An ongoing narrative is not necessarily an episode arc. People seem to mistake and conflate both. A clear example of series with ongoing narrative is Beast Wars.

What a coincidence. Hope you enjoy the examples I provided.

Oh boy another "HEY CHECK OUT THIS YOUTUBER ECELEB VIDEO" Thread, how very informative that we suck the dick of some random schmuck a give this faggot views. Also…

Okay so you're a complete normalfag. It's about 10 years to early for you to tackle something like Paprika.
You might as well just google "good anime" and that's gonna be about right for you.

literally everyone shits on him and the thread is about anime now, relaxe your anus

Move it to /a/ buddy, the last thing we need is another meta-thread cluster fuck and we just had one a week ago. Plus the smaller boards need all the activity they could get after the 4 day outage.

Ironically that's when I saw it, it was such a disappointment after all the trailer hype.

SU is barely even worth quality

IF EVERY CARTOON HAD A PLOT, IT WOULD BE REALLY BORING

w e w l a d

Leave it to a pathetic numale YouTuber that loves SU to conflate the use of plot and story. More story - the interconnected sequential record of events - is something that shows most definitely don't need to be good. You'll find no shortage of great shows made with either no or a very loose overarching story:
Having a good story could make it good (and a bad one could came it worse), but the lack of an ongoing story is not a strike against a cartoon. The serialized or episodic nature of a show is not a measure of its quality (unless you're measuring how well it handles it, but that's for the next point).

However, cartoons are definitely in need of better plot - the presentation of events in the narrative. No matter what format you're going to make your show in - serial, episodic, or some hybrid (episodic with an overarching story) - you still need to have good direction, pacing, and structure of how you present the events. This is where most modern cartoons fail - there's little build up or tension, constant shifts in focus, and little impact given to resolutions. Shit just happens and there's little attempt to build things up and get the audience invested. Even without any fucking story, Tom and Jerry cartoons are a hell of a lot more satisfying to watch than your average SU episode that stumbles around with its boring storylines and just farts out a resolution to end the episode on.

What sort of damn logic is that? Anything beyond mindless gags is boring?! What planet do you come from?

Don't forget to sage, better to let OP's shilling drown in the ocean of threads than to spread its cancer beyond this thread.

Samurai Jack was never good, it had a plot that went nowhere

Low energy.

We need better mods.

I fuckin hate this

I don't think they know Holla Forums is working now.

Whatever happened to cartoons being fun?

Fuck off