What's the longest you've gone without re-installing your OS?

What's the longest you've gone without re-installing your OS?

For me probably about 3 years with the same Windows XP install from 2002 to 2005.

My last Windows XP install had to die about six months ago because I needed the HDD for something else. It was first installed in 2008. It was also last time I touched a Windows machine of any kind.

You sound killer at parties tbh

14 years.
Don't trust modern (((OS's))) downloaded over the internet. Disk OS's or bust. Also kys OP.

Haven't reinstalled my Win7 install since 2010, and it has been cloned across 2 hard drives, and now an SSD.

Linux users confirmed "creeps" by normies

It took you this long to realize this?

Have you updated anything in those 14 years?

How big did your install get from dependency hell?

Yeah, normies hate it! They definitely prefer that guy telling everyone how he loves his bad OS because it allows him to play all the games he wants. Never met a girl who didn't wet herself at this point of the comversation.

Here comes the party crasher, I bet he gets all the ladies

I know you are a mod now. Fuck off.

You do know that turning on some colored lights, playing Linkin Park several dbs above human tolerance and screaming
Isn't actually a party to anyone but your sick head, right?

Still out for a good time m8?

I have never reinstalled the OS on my main machine since 2013. I don't plan on reinstalling my OS, since an OS is a tool that you use to solve a problem. If the problem doesn't change, then the tool has no reason to change.

But don't you like that fresh OS smell?

No, it reeks of (((rotten))) alphabet soup.

Please tell me you have a screencap of that.

Windows is the most rock stable OS I've ever used. Literally YEARS without needing to re-install, or fuck even run the updater. Linux I was re-installing like every two weeks, and OSX gets some stupid new shit every 6 months.

Did you even try? 1/100

tbh I'm still using some win7 as a secondary OS for mostly CAD and 3D-Printing because of muh proprietary software. It is service pack 1, updates deactivated since day 1 (only manual patched the horrendous code excecution vulnerability of the windows defender half a year ago). Runs since...5 years or so without reinstalling. Main OS is loonix though.

Windows update is rather useless if you mostly run 3rd party applications. Win7 platform update and mandatory Win10 download anyone?

Nearly the same experience here.
In 2003 i had some retarded trojaner that was part of some obvious botnet and my ISP had to shut my line down, because my PC was sending tons of spam mails.
Then i was forced to mess with shitty Anti-Virus software and firewalls and when i bought my next PC with WindowsXP, i was already aware enough and managed to keep XP clean with lightweight software.
It was always fast and i never had to reinstall the OS. When i stopped using it, i gave it to my parents (still no reinstall).
It got replaced maybe 1 year ago.

So... it was 10 - 12 years maybe?

Maybe 2 years, and that'd be Windows on my desktop.

Sometimes I reinstall because I was playing around and not really knowing what I was doing and would fuck my system up, although generally I do it just because I don't have a lot of important files and a fresh install feels nice.

I still have my original install of windows 7 from 2010 on my main machine when I need to use it, even after a hardware swap it still works great. It's certainly the longest I've ever seen a windows install last for.

I've been using the same Debian install on my PC since 2013. No need to reinstall when you can just dist-upgrade stable to stable.

Longest without reinstall? Probably 1 year. I usually reinstall OS once 5 - 6 months. My whole backup has only few megabytes so it's not a problem for me.

I know you're b8'ing. But Windows can be very rock solid. Especially since Microsoft has switched Windows Update to more of a general system repo
To perform a system file check and repair;
sfc /scannow
And to check the Windows system against Microsofts over Windows Update
Dism /Online /Cleanup- Image /RestoreHealth
Dism can ALSO backup Windows to installation images for quick deployment or even modify install images, including official ones from Windows Installation ISOs, to add drivers, making potential reinstalls much faster because you can just add all necessary drivers for your machine so it's all ready to go without having to reinstall them yourself

The original install of Slackware + our in-house software fit on 200mb HDDs. Original server room hosted 40 machines. All the new SSDs are 256gb, no GUI bloat so I'm guessing well under 2gb. I personally did not do a df comparison, but I can check the project records on Monday.

Yes, but it's all from FTI (Federal Tax Information) and SSA (Social Security Administration) systems. No public network. Double man-traps with badge in/out security up the wazoo just to reach those. Though, I'm pretty sure there are public records of more impressive uptimes (maybe not for Slackware specifically).

si
ck
meme fam

4 months lmao

although I've gotta say the previous install lasted over a year

rolling also writing some shiet

13 years Windows XP. I don't use it anymore, but it is still in my boot menu and works.

I don't mean fresh OS as in the latest shit, I mean fresh as in newly installed.

iOS is an OS, i haven't updated my iPod in years

I've been running the same Arch Linux install for about 2.5 years. Even recently built a new computer and just swapped the SSD from my old computer to the new one and everything just works.

If we're really going to start going into useless embedded shit like that I could say I never updated my Commodore 64s KERNAL/BASIC since 1988

when I had windows I would install it every 12 or 18 months. I installed linux mint in 2013 and it's still up. I also have win7 for ocasional gaming, because there's nothing else but this one game I play on it it also survived about 4 years. I still have to install Windows for my family, they refuse to touch linux.

I'm sorry that you're retarded

I wonder what would happen if I printed this out and stuck it on my mailbox?

Had to check cause it's been longer than usual.

I'll probably format soon. Nothing's broken or acting up I just really like the feel of a brand new OS.

mfw people in the future reading this thread will be relating this to cars that reboot themselves on the motorway.

The user is correct about printing them. As the postman passes by it animate as normal.

What?

on my desktop: 5 years (Ubuntu 8.04 to 12.04) -- remained extraordinarily solid

on a little local file server in my shoe cupboard: nearly 8 years (Debian, 2007 to 2015), longest I had it up for was 2 years (either side of power outages)

i did 5 years on my wangjews 7 machine. it really decayed in those 5 years, i had like 4 separate versions of ask toolbar.

I made it 50 days this time

I got curious about openstep, but it's a smoldering pile of dicks, and I found it easier to reinstall than to undo any of the clang I had to Frankenstein in to get it working

Five years of Gentoo. Do I win?

Got a computer with Windows 98SE preinstalled when I was 8. Installed Linux at 15...so that's 7 years.

Can you image an Engine Control Unit, except instead of using a small realtime firmware that gets reads engine parameters against a lookup table on a simple 8-bit microcontroller, you instead get an Engine Control Unit that uses a generic Linux kernel and gets engine parameters over USB and compares them against an intelligent learning agent and runs on some off-the-shelf AMD Ryzen CPU? Imagine that throttle response

Ran Windows Me for 6 years.

Out of curiosity, what led you to update it?

uhh i had this win10 for 3 months

IMPOSSIBLE!!

Windows XP for 6-8 years.

Did anything break?

Reported for saving and reuploading a thumbnail. You're too stupid to belong here.

Probably 4 years at most. I don't know how people can go so long on a Windows install. That fucking registry always accumulates enough crap that eventually it just makes more sense to reinstall rather than pull your hair out trying to figure out exactly what the problem is.

The "Registry Rot" shit was always a fucking meme. You were just too retarded to defrag your shit and your HDD probably got fragmented to hell. The whole point of the registry is that it's a binary configuration database and shouldn't need cleaning. Because it's so fucking small and has such a small disk and memory footprint that "cleaning" entries has a negligible difference at best. And Windows already cleans the registry after it reaches a certain size itself to keep it under a size budget.

[-]

Now this is good troll.

GNUniggers once again prove their faux-computer literacy when in reality they can't even use a normalfag OS without fucking it up

wtf i hate gnu now

Please, I used to defragment every month and ran RegCleaner every now and then. Still didn't protect me from registry problems fucking up my drivers/dx libraries/c++ libraries/whatever the hell it was.

See this is why you're retarded

Why do people think those meme programs were ever necessary?

The GNUers just like poking around with their OS. That's their hobby. You likely have some other interest and don't view your OS with the same intrigue that GNUers do.

4/10 Not so strong as a troll

This shit has to fucking stop. And that goes for everyone that says anything they don't like is b8. You're making the term meaningless

Registry Cleaners are not necessary and do more harm than good. If the registry needed cleaning Microsoft themselves would've made an official cleaner by now

Why do you think it's necessary? Because of some weird placebo effect?

When I first got into older Thinkpads a few years ago I put Debian on one, it's been going strong for 2-3 years. My Powerbook G4's been on 10.4 for over a decade.

I have a Windows XP VM that I've moved from computer to computer that I've been working on since 2008 though, same install and everything.

Windows 98 from 1999-2008 on a ancient thinkpad. Windows XP for 3-4 years years ago. Newest record goes to a Android custom ROM going on 3 years now and my Devuan box is nearing 2 years.

On a computer I actually owned and not like a family computer when I was a child probably a year or two when I was using arch. These days I'm on openbsd -current and I pretty regularly update to snapshots.

Um, it FEELS faster to me and my feelings matter

Last time D used one it bricked my install. I think in helps some people if there are entries to auto start stuff on boot.

Theres some serious twilight zone tier autism in this thread