Rat Queens Storytime

Other bad comics have been posted here multiple times, but somehow no one bothered with Rat Queens. It's one of the Tumblr's favorite books, but not as bad as Hellcat or Squirrel Girl.

Today I will dump first two volumes, and third one tomorrow. To balance it out, I will post something good afterwards.

After issue 8 was done, Rat Queen's artist was arrested for beating up his wife. It also caused minor drama among books' fans. New and slightly better artist stepped in, but red tumblr noses are still there.

This issue had another artist change. After Sejic left Rat Queens due to "health reasons," Weiebe needed new artist. No one other but Tess Fowler stepped in.

The short needs to be a little more voluptuous. Then maybe I can get behind this.

Why would you do this to anyone and yourself?

It is specially sad because the art is somewhat good yet the storytelling, the edginess and the faggotry is too much to bear.

bump

I'm so glad that the production on this comic fucking imploded because the creators were incompetent fuckwits who couldn't even meet a monthly deadline.

Mostly because its popularity is baffling to me, and I like the general idea of it, but the execution is horrid. It's the only comic that I hate read. People also tend to ask for story time when it's mentioned.

It's up and going again! All new and sort of rebooted. With yet another new artist. First issue has yet another incompetent male version of the Rat Queens.

Holy shit, that's pitiful. They couldn't even continue the story that took them several years to establish that nothing interesting was fucking happening?

Wow. Well, it could be worse.

Still, one of the few things that disgust me is the little few instances of orcs portrayed in this aberration.

A bearded druid fucking a dwarf?
A fucking tranny?
Dudebros?
Patriarchal conservatives?

I wish someone portrayed orcs just as savage chaotic tribal creatures that they don't have to be good nor evil.

The best portrayal of orcs I've seen so far is in Dungeon Meshi, but that is a mango.

Issue 13

Last issue of the original run.

Pages in this issues have huge filesizes, so it's gonna be only 2 at a time.

Once they get on boat, hiatus begins. And this is "the end" of the third volume collected into TPB. However, after over 10 months hiatus, there was issue #16 where they get off the boat after a long journey.

Issue 16, where they return to Palisade and things don't quite seem right.

And that's the end of the first series. Besides this there was one more extra issue about transsexual orc.

Here it is. Orc who transitioned from male to female and decided to abandon oppressive environment.

Dammit, didn't mean to spoiler those

Wait why did she kill him?

Never got explained, because of hiatus and reboot. From what I gather it is either because of small dick or because it was a doppelganger or something.

That's fucking stupid but hey that's the whole series.

Book went on hiatus again. In the meantime, it turned out that Tess Fowler left the project. She implied that she "had to quit" and that work with Wiebe was a pain in the ass to work with, but writer himself claims that it was over creative differences. He also began to buddying up with original artist again and rumors that he would be back sprouted.
Tumblr went into meltdown after they heard that wife beater would return. Then it turned out that Upchurch abandoned his family after whole domestic violence case, which angered fans even more. Some people started to tell others to not buy the book and cancelling their TPB orders and removing it from pull lists, further hurting series after many readers left during volume 3. Writer went into panic mode, found new artist and decided to reboot the book.

Here's the reboot issue.

>Doesn't even explain how he became a tranny

How boring and utterly missing the point of having a character like this.

And this is all that was published.

Whole book is a clusterfuck of drama and laziness. In 18 issue run there have been 4 different artists, and there were at least three male equivalents to the rat queens. I have no idea why it got popular.

It's still quite bad.

The only redeeming quality is that thicc dwarfgrill

Off-topic I know, but which Spider-Man comic is that screencap from?

that, user, is from the glorious sunday spider-man newspaper comic

bump

It's all shit

That was so awful it almost made me gay.

So did he actually beat his wife or was it just a false accusation?

yes

why is the orc a man in the backstory and then a female orc i dont understand…im so confused but mostly angry at the lack of an explanation and just the fact that it's glossed over casually wouldn't that have a bit of a huge impact on life

That's the twist: The orc lady was an orc tranny the whole time. They don't even explain it especially well during the flashbacks. He's just too progressive for the rest of his tribe, so he leaves after a scuffle.. and then he's a lady, because on top of being a colossal faggot, he also wanted tits, but that's kind of implied, because the potential hilarity that might come from a giant burly orc bullying a wizard and screaming "I WANT SOME DAMNED TITS!!" was just too low-brow for a comic where people get into drunken orgies and puke all over the place.

what happened to the orcs in this story and why are they such fags what happened to the good old ways of being an orc things like pillaging sexing up the tribal girls and drugs

why was tranny orc such a pacifist and a fag but turns around and is like we orcs only know blood her ancestors have to be facepalming at this shit just fucking kill shit you dumb trans orc

I understand your pain. It gets worse when shit like Elder Scrolls, WoW and the WoW keeps trying to push this noble savage bullcrap instead of the dear and beloved greenskin atrocities we grew to love and hate in the good old Tolkien and D&D days.

Issue #2 of the relaunch came out this week. It is less cancerous than most of the old ones. It also has some decent art mixed with some horrid and obviously unfinished.

Images in the cbz were huge, so it will be only 2 pages per post.

I don't know how to feel about this art. It's more expressive and has more texture to it.. but it's still fucking ugly and unpleasant to look at.

I think that monster and haflings looks good for the most part. However, further into the issue things get really lazy.

Lazy doesn't begin to describe it. High schoolers doodle more complete art in the margins of their notebooks than this shit.

…Are you sure you're posting these in the right order? Because from page to page, these look like they were drawn by wildly different artists.

And that's all for this month, folks.

There is a bonus story starting with 2nd image in

As the user who originally requested the storytime, I'd like to make a public apology to everyone, starting with OP.

So wait a minute, the artist gets caught being a wife beater, Tumblr flips their shit and he gets fired, book juggles various artists including the guy who worked on Sunstone which is basically soft core SFW BDSM, current artist quits, writer goes crawling back to wife beater, Tumblr loses their shit and the writer just reboots the whole thing?

Wew

That's big of you, user.

Not going to lie, that's bretty good.

That is just the most entertaining thing about this fucking comic. Many keks were had.
The irony is that the second artist is pretty gud all things considered and his art makes the comic almost redeable barring the stupid concept.

Well, apparently it was bad enough for him to get arrested on the spot and wife immediately filed for divorce. Judge also ruled in her favor. Roc Upchurch claims that this has been erased from his record and things are better now. His wife disagreed about things being better in now removed blogpost, and she said that he basically gave up on kids and didn't even bother apologizing.

In short
2D>3D

I wonder what she did to piss him off so much.

Gasp! Are you trying to say that a noble African-American man beat some white woman half to death? That's absolutely UNHEARD OF.

Tumblr is so fucking racist for trying to can a PoC for work.

Who the fuck thought this shit was going to sell? Who, do tell me?

Why, just why?

that sucks, if only guys like that came with some obvious visible cue that let you know they wouldn't stick around to take care of their kids
never mind, there was

The funniest part is that even the people who would buy it decided to boycott it since even though the wife beater was technically off the book, he would receive royalties for his work.

This art is shit, but I do like the way they blurred the arrowhead in the first page, makes for a cool effect.

Is that Sir Daniel?

That's the thing, these people don't seem to get that their own ilk doesn't support shit with their wallets and whenever the comic doesn't sell they just blame it on male readers or some such other horseshit to make them feel better about themselves.

Also I remember the writer acting like a dick to people on Tumblr, claiming that the artist didn't quit but left on his own. Which of course is total shit as it was clear he was fired from the comic after the many call out posts on Tumblr telling people not to support the book (something they were already doing but I digress)

Again, this whole thing is just beyond hilarious.

Virtue-signaling makes people feel good about themselves in the short-run and gains lots of positive attention. But its not the thing that puts food in your table.

Good. She should have known better than to trust filthy SJWs.

The odd part of about this openly feminist, diversity encouraginng, full of lesbians and female orks and warlords comic is why we have a thread about it at all.

To laugh at it, of course.

Oh now you mother fuckers care about sales, when it effects YOUR shit, but when the big two start cancelling books that don't pander to your ilk you stay silent.

This shit just drives me up the wall, like okay someone comes up to you at a con and says they love your work and instead of trying to sell them on it or at least say "Hey if you like this, buy it for a friend or whatever and help spread the word." they say nothing and then whine on Twitter about not making any money at said con.

Hell, most webcomic artists make their money off of T-Shirt sales more than anything else, because they know people like to spend money on merch more than anything else and if they build up a big enough fanbase, then they can start creating print versions of their comics to sell.

It amazes me how these people don't know how basic business works.

Maybe your work just isn't that good? Let's check..
Brilliant.
Oh and she has a patreon!!
HAH.

Yeah, this person is like a carbon copy of every other fucking tumblr artist except she thinks she can jump straight to being famous and successful without any noteworthy work under her belt. You could line her art up with a thousand other wannabe tumblr stars and you couldn't pick out her work… ANd somehow, she thinks putting up a paywall and keeping her comic off of reddit and tumblr will make her successful.

It started out as a Kickstarter project, and it gained a lot of attention. Comics Alliance and the like wrote articles on it, and many people talked about project on tumblr and twitter. Next thing you know, it made way more money than the goal and had what looked like a fanbase on social media. Then Image decided to pick it up.

This was a Kickstarter project?

That just makes it the more funnier.

One of my LCS here in the midwest has a whole section devoted to kids' comics, including Rat Queens and Lumber Janes. But it's become undeniable that SJWs don't buy comics in sufficient numbers. I almost feel bad for Cara McGee. She sounds passionate about comics and I sympathize with an artist trying to make a living by doing art. But then I read her whining about "diversity" and I remember that she hates me and wants to annihilate everything I love about comics and Western civilization, and I get over it.

Tolkien orcs weren't even green, and D&D orcs were originally pigmen.

Which is what people want damn you, instead of fucking green ugly knife ears every damn time.

Oh yeah. Does anyone have any screenshots of Tumblrinas complaining about the wifebeater?

I agree with everything else, but social media had made personal portfolio sites nearly pointless outside of appealing to people with an arbitrary sense of professionalism. Why waste money on a domain when there are countless free content uploading sites that give you better visibility because users can promote you for free by sharing your posts.

>Pigmen

I would respect this artist if he wasn't such a faggot.

Modern day anachronisms & commnentary wrapped up in a D&D world. Bleh.

I can understand using social media to self promote and get your work out there, but if you want to be taken seriously and if you want people to see your shit, you just post it with a simple layout (design it yourself to prove you're extra skilled) and leave it instead of getting it tangled up in dozens of replies and reblogs and asks and shit.

with so many smut artists turning to patreon and tumblr to get enough attention and money to keep making smut, it's no wonder so many of them are getting pozzed. Separating the artist from their art is the only way to enjoy this stuff.

how pozzed is this guy we are talking about.

Not sure. Haven't gone through his tumblr, but I've seen several smut artists that have turned to snarky about Trump and whining about "problematic" things more than posting lewd art.

Oh boy, more namefag cancer. How thrilling….

Fuck you author, fantasy Europe isn't Japan during the Meiji Period. Medieval Forms and Styles were developed by soldiers trying to teach unblooded warriors how to stay alive. It's critical to practice Form in swordplay for the same reason it's critical in boxing. It means that when your brain freezes you'll still move back into a defensive position. Unlike what the author says IN A REAL FIGHT a still sword is a fucking death sentence and without form to fall back on, a still sword is exactly what will happen.

A more interesting (and believable) story would be if she was using human forms instead of dwarven. If Violet were seeking to perfect her art in a blasphemously perverse way by learning the sword forms of the other races, intent on eventually joining a major dwarven tournament and proving that Dwarven dueling has sacrificed effectiveness on the altar of tradition. Even better if her father was a general that lost a major battle due to the Dwarf's rigid way of approaching tactics, convincing Violet that the Dwarven people faced extinction if they didn't adapt to a changing martial landscape and inspiring her to seek a truly adaptive form of combat. She thinks she's started developing it but seeks the life of an Adventurer to perfect the damned thing against every type of foe imaginable. Then the entire dynamic between her brother and her would mean more. He thinks the Dwarven way is perfect or at least serviceable but Violet believes there's a fundamental flaw in it, this duel shakes his belief but doesn't shatter it. Later he comes back with an all dwarf party to continue the argument, prove her wrong and bring her home.

Instead there's no point to her questioning Dwarven tradition, she just sums it up as "fuck tradition and fuck you." Her being an adventurer instead of a mercenary or a whore is entirely incidental to her character.

Wait what do you mean about Japan during the Meiji period? Were their sword schools dominated by formal dueling techniques or something?

Misremembered, I meant late-Edo Period and yes sword fighting became more a spiritual exercise than Utilitarian.

Okay that makes more sense, because shit was going down during the Meiji Restoration.

I can understand being snarky about Trump, but complaining about "problematic" shit is just hypocritical. But given they are doing it for virtue signaling…

Gerrig did nothing wrong.

That's what you can expect when their entire ideology is based on hypocrisy.