GUNS GUNS GUNS

Why does it seem like real guns seem more iconic than any superpower in comics?
Characters that simply shoot people are considered to be far more interesting than those that don't, regardless of the superpower.
Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

theconversation.com/do-transgender-athletes-have-an-unfair-advantage-54289
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can relate.

Most people are aware of what ordinary firearms are capable of.

People love violence, more so when it's doled out as heroic justice (permanent or not).

How does it work? Is there some cross section from a Scholastic DC book? I know they sold some Scholastic Everything you need to know books back in the early 2000's for certain comic book characters. I have 3 for Spiderman, Hulk and the X men.

I can't speak for the control mechanism except to say it probably has to do with either brain signals (helmet) or wrist/hand/finger configuration (or simply closing a circuit between two portions of a glove) but it's clear that his wrist guns are pretty much regular guns. Except wrist-ified. The magazine and bit that holds the guns to his wrists are one and the same. Although to deal with the fact that you can't really fit regular gun internals in there, odds are an electric motor or other unconventional feed system has taken the place of the magazine spring.

tl;dr: His brain or hand movements probably control the firing. Feed system is probably electric instead of kinetic. Otherwise a "normal" small-caliber firearm with weird mounting.

Some versions were drawn where it's an M9 pistol mounted on a gauntlet and you could see the feed system on the side. I always figured it had something to do with his palm since Deadshot usually clenches his fist when he fires it.

Hey shouldn't the lens be on the other eye?

Deadshot is a good shot either way with or without the lens. I really only think it's there so he could make long range shots with his wrist guns.

Many reasons. Most important one is that guns actually exist, they are tangible objects, and people who wield them have some sort of authority. Using gun well takes skill, knowledge, and discipline. Thanks to movies and some occupation that use firearms, guns are also associated with lives full of thrill, danger, and adventures, which at some level is attractive to everyone.

Eye dominance does not correlate to hand dominance. Unlike with hand dominance, people are much more evenly split between right and left eye dominant.

I'd rather have a web-shooter than a gun. Don't get me wrong, I like guns. But fucking web-shooters man

If I had to guess I'd say they work a bit like Spider-Man's web-shooters.

It's a pit DC never went in for Elliot R. Brown style technical drawings like Marvel did.
I'd have bought the FUCK out of a Batmanual, like the Iron Manual or Punisher Armoury.

Interesting.

So it would have a button on his wrist which he would press which would fire the gun? Not sure if I buy it since Deadshots wrist guns seem more complex than Spidermans webshooters due to the internal moving parts. Still Webshooters would be awesome if I lived in a city.

'Mind control' is a bit complex. It would probably work through a pressure sensitive trigger mounted on his palm, given that he clenches his fists when he shoots things. Pressure sensitive so he doesn't accidentally blow his face off or something.
Well, you can see that Deadshot's wrist guns are mounted outside his clothing, unlike Spider-Man's web-shooters. As far as complexity is concerned the guns would have to be bigger than the web-shooters to accommodate said moving parts

I don't think guns per se are interesting in cape comics.

Rather, people like or respect characters without superpowers who exist and are able to go toe toe toe with capes like Punisher or Deadshot.

Because you only read USAian comics
theconversation.com/do-transgender-athletes-have-an-unfair-advantage-54289

what the hell?

Because guns are the great equalizer.

Now excuse me while I storytime one of my favorite issues of Unknown Soldier.

Have you ever seen a love letter written to a gun? Because I think that last pic is a love letter written to the AK rifle.

But Metford rifling was designed for black powder specifically. Enfields were smokeless.

That was a good story. I'm not sure I've ever read a gun's autobiography. I like Veitch's art a lot, too.

no, I don't even care if the rest is good. Punisher Max spoiled me/ raised my standards too much for this crap.

Production ended for AK-47s in 1959. This rifle should either be an AKM or an AK-74 if it was manufactured in the 70s.

Good guns never dieā€¦

Wrong. Places still make them in the local gun store you can get Norinco Mak 90s made in 2016 also the actual AK factory still makes semi-auto versions for civilian market with the same calibre ( you just need to replace the furniture to be 100% ak like.

I feel like the first gun should have knocked Lobster on his ass.

It's an Unknown Soldier comic.

So a magazine is closed while a clip is open?

wwwwwwwwww

The scene is set in the Soviet Union. AK-47 would not have been made at that time. It would have been an AKM (Same gun functionally aside from a crude muzzle brake, but much lighter and cheaper to make. Requires higher quality tooling to make though.) or AK-74 (same gun as AKM, but an actual muzzle brake and fires the lighter and flatter shooting 5). Even if the details were just nitpicky (even firearm enthusiasts don't really care to distingush AK47 vs. AKM in the English speaking world and they might still be making 7.62 guns for foreign communists or just production inertia), a gun would never ship with its magazine installed, and the Soviets absolutely wouldn't be making that style of magazine at that point)

By 1976, the Soviets were making polymer magazines (notice the default AK-74 mag is a polymer)

AK-47, which is the AK with a milled receiver was overly complicated and inefficient to manufacture. It actually was just a stop gap gun until their arc welding procedures improved enough for the stamped and welded AKM which was superior to the 47 in cost and weight, along with a couple quality of life changes like the recoil compensator, plastic grip and modified stock angle. Another good way to tell if it's a 47 is the large groove milled out above the magazine to reduce the weight of the gun which pic related does a shitty job of circling.

Not really trips. A clip is a tool used to load a magazine quickly.

My bad.

Wasn't it Bakelite or something?

bakelite is a polymer

I didn't say it wasn't, you cunt.

well then maybe you should read the damn chart that says bakelite under the only russian plastic magazine

No. They are commonly called "bakelite" magazines because they look like bakelite (at least in English. No idea about Russian or other AK using languages), but they are actually an unrelated plastic (I think they are fiberglass reinforced).

AKM is not AK47.
And that's not even an AK it's a WASR which is basically the Romanian PM md. 63/65.

They are all made to the same specs and loose tolerances. Fuck off with your "AK's have never been tried" bullshit.

God damn, did these retards get anything right in this comic? It feels like the entire thing was just written for "MUH KONY 2012!!!!!!"

Not defending them, but the Americans did send the Russians a fuckton of supplies during the Second World War. It's possible they gave them American crash helmets

GUNS GUNS GUNS

WAR WAR WAR

its because characters that have guns don't have superpowers to make them interesting in ways that I guess normies are supposed to like, so to compensate they actually make them interesting

We gave them crash helmets, but they came with the tanks we gave them because the intercom plugs for the head set only fits American tanks as do the plugs on Russian helmets only fitting Russian tank intercoms.

The mess you leave, expensive to keep making more fluid, and unless you have super strength/stamina, web slinging is impossible

Canonically, doesn't web dissolve after an hour?
And it can't be that expensive, Peter makes the shit in his kitchen with peanut butter.

Web fluid can't be more expensive than ammunition, have you seen the prices for ammo these days?

It dissolves after an hour
It's only expensive relative to Peter's other costs. His primary occupation is either taking news photos or being a teacher and with that meagre salary he's got to support himself and help support his aunt
They've flip-flopped on whether Spider-Man actually needs his super strength to activate the web-shooters. He's managed to use them whilst de-powered. In addition, they've got other uses. They're good for self defence, if somebody points a gun at you, you can web the barrel and clog a nigga's barrel up, so they can't shoot you

Mary-Jane used to wear them as jewellery, but load them with tear gas.

Firearms are a real life superpower that are superior to all fictional superpowers for one primary reason: the person with the firearm will always be equal to anyone. They call guns "the great equalizer" for a reason. You can take a tiny little girl, and she can defeat a giant man, if she has a gun. In a comic book that would be ridiculous and silly if they did that with superpowers. In real life, it would be pretty brutal, but it's also real, something that is starkly missing from not only superhero comics, but the lives of people who actually enjoy superhero comics.

Capeshit appeals to only the biggest losers on the planet with the worst taste, reading drawn fanfics made by idiots with low IQs for even bigger idiots with even lower IQs. A firearm is the real life equivalent of a technology-granted superpower. It is advanced and highly refined technology that, when properly used, eliminates the advantage of physical strength in an opponent. It is significant and has exact meaning to real life. A denial of this is a desire to recede into childish fantasy for people who have a limit to their maximum IQ (below the normal human average).

Because guns are real and you can actually shoot a motherfucker in the face, whereas a superhero lifting a car and throwing it at a group of badguys is considerably less realistic and harder to comprehend in any serious manner.

I wish somebody would storytime some Punisher Armory.

too lazy to draw magazine correctly.

Empowered taught me that just driving the car at them is more effective. And Frank can do that anyway.