AMD + Intel Partnership

lmao they finally went and did it, AMD Vega with HBM slapped together on one big rectangle with an intel CPU.

newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

What's extra retarded about this is that it might mean that Intel will be first to market with HBM+Vega graphics ahead of AMD, even though AMD will have its Vega APUs. I'd expect an announcement for higher-end gaming laptops soon from AMD to remedy this. If AMD can get even just a couple gigs of HBM on a single APU chip, they'll probably still have an advantage over this model. Or they could just do the same thing for some reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-SKL-BXT-Firmware-Blobs
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Smatch-AMDGPU-Warnings
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126516.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No AV1 support.

AMD = Intel. It's a kike monopoly you moron.

It took Intel long enough to realize that they can't make a decent GPU.

Arent vega reference designs already out with hbm?

オイヴェイ!止む!

When did AMD bend the knee?

What's their last nonpozzed product?

They want to make a comeback in laptops, a market they're as good as dead.
For that, they need to splash their name everywhere and brand them back in the game.
Also, they'll make money while at that.

Early 80s

sasuga AMD
I know it's a multi-chip module so it's not like they're giving up the keys to the kingdom, but what the fuck. Zen/Raven Ridge could have been THE laptop chipset of 2018 and beyond, instead they've sacrificed it to sell more GPUs. Why did you spend half a decade on Zen just to throw it under the bus like this?

Not beyond. No AV1, no 7nm.

Intel closes GPU firmware after Haswell: Strike 1
AMD GPU has worst open and closed Linux drivers: Strike 2

CPU: AMD
GPU: Nvidia

Was this part of their plan?

Well of course. They had to stop the reverse engineerings efforts on nouveau and libreboot/me_cleaner's part. So they told each other let's go straight into the most closed down portions of their combined drivers, AMD for cpu microcode, and nvidia for hash signature chips and no free userland.

So nothing will happen now. Getting locked down for all hardware was part of their plan. The next step would be to make a masterful application that only works on AMD cpu's to switch everyone over to them for lockdown.

wat

They're the best.

take your meds.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-SKL-BXT-Firmware-Blobs

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Smatch-AMDGPU-Warnings

eat your shit.

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126516.html

Yeah they suck, no they don't equate to completely closing the driver down.

Do you know how fucking crufty proprietary GPU drivers are? AMD is the only option for open source gaming. They are bringing their shitty old code into the kernel while rewriting it so it'll come up to common standards. It's funny you linked Phoronix, when Phoronix recently did a benchmark showing that AMDGPU is now outpacing the proprietary driver in most benchmarks.

Do you expect someone to reverse engineer Skylake+ GPUs? That will take time, and I'm glad I updated hardware in 2016.

I know how crufty AMD's drivers are. That's why between closed GPU drivers I would pick Nvidia. There's no point in supporting Intel if they're going to use binary blobs and be slower than Nvidia.
I don't play Tuxracer
They were forced to comply. They don't really get bonus points for doing something every other hardware vendor does.
You'll have to point me to this, because every benchmark I've seen places the garbage proprietary driver faster. If I were forced to use AMD, I would certainly use the open source driver, but I'm not and I don't.

You sound out of touch with the situation. Last year they attempted a massive dump of code that didn't meet kernel coding standards and was a bolt-on that re-implemented functionality, rather than fitting in to the existing graphics architecture. Not the first time this has happened, and it won't be the last. It's kinda inevitable when something is developed in isolation by people that aren't regular Linux kernel hackers, then presented as a fait accompli.

This inauspicious start is unimportant. What matters is what happened after the "ta-da!" moment, when they present the bug-infested, unmaintainable mess on a silver platter expecting praise. The good news is that after the initial rejection, and despite initially threatening to, they didn't take their ball home in a huff. They took the criticism on board, engaged with the kernel team and worked to re-factor the code and craft it into something presentable.

This work is bearing fruit. It missed the 4.14 merge window, but it's shaping up well to be in 4.15 which will likely be released in January. It would be silly to let the past missteps color your view. We're going to have something we've never had before - fully open, high performance drivers for cutting-edge graphics hardware, upstream in the Linux kernel. AMD are looking like the future of Linux graphics.

I didn't catch the aftermath. To be honest, the last AMD GPU (4650) I owned was absolute shit on Linux. Every day I got hard unrecoverable hangs which stopped immediately when I replaced it with an Nvidia 430. After people said "it's okay now trust us you dumb fucks" I grabbed an AM1 motherboard and CPU for NAS and it had issues too. "dazed and confused" all the time, as well as a buggy POS Realtek NIC that worked poorly with Linux. I don't blame the Realtek NIC on them, but it's par for the course. I kinda don't care if they got their shit together anymore.

My guess is intel has no way of countering Zen so they are doing this to get AMD to not be too aggressive in puruing the laptop and server markets, and AMD, which is still poor as fuck, is willing to take this guaranteed income route, even if the possible rewards are less.

Open source gaming community especially should realize that not everyone's going to have non-pozzed hardware. Thuss they should be open to running games with software rendering and let cpu do the work, since in a lot of cases it's powerful enough. But I noticed some people going the opposite way, and that's troubling. The developper for FS-UAE for example has constantly shitted on people who ask for a simple software alternative to his forced OpenGL (that he made mandatory). UAE doesn't need it. You can run old versions like E-UAE just fine on even an old core2 duo, but his shit don't work if you can't or don't want to run GPU botnet.
A large part of open source gaming community is really just brainwashed idiots who would be more at home in Windows. I bet if I fork FS-UAE he will get all butthurt too. Should call it FU-UAE just to make the point.

If you're so retarded you really want to hobble along without hardware acceleration, there's always Mesa LLVMpipe. Of course, actually software rendering something on the CPU of a museum piece IBM Memepad, so since you're already retrocomputing, perhaps you could just dig out your old Amiga and use that instead.

You didn't even read my post you triple-decker nigger. As I mentioned, E-UAE works perfectly with software rendering even on 10+ year old hardware. It's brainwashed morons who try to legitimize the need for GPU when it's clearly not needed. We're not talking about a 3D game here, but they always manage to shove GPU dependency into everything they touch. So now if you want to run his shit on a non-blobbed ARM SBC or something, you can't because it needs GPU blob. He's just an example though, there's a lot more like him running around claiming to care about muh freedoms. They should just go back to Windows and be done with it.

Pls stop saying "lamao"

The problem isn't his choice of opengl over software, it's his version of opengl not being supported by mesa. It shows he is clearly developing on proprietary software. It should be forked away from him to use a lower opengl version with his old code. FU-UAE is a great name choice.

Try any game from 2016. Try Source Engine games. Superior performance with amdgpu on both vs. nouveau and nvidia drivers.

Maybe that sentiment could be channeled into something more productive, like bringing Mesa up to date, or installing an ideologically-kosher FPGA GPU core, instead of being a contrarian faggot.

Pick one

Pick one.

Pick both.
To play the game you open Source.

this is good for the future,
NVIDIA cards are overpriced shrinked Cuda cores dies every 2 years,
they cant do basic mobile cards without it costing a fortune

To kill the game you must win john romero.