Don Bluth general

Was a he one of the greats?

I should have probably clarified why I did this. I just wanted to contrast two of his praised works va two of his works that tanked. With that in mind, was he still a great animator?

Reminder that he became aware of the [[CURRENT YEAR]] and Daphne will no longer be a icky fanservice girl whose only purpose is to be a literal reward for the male hero.

He was a good animator from what I've seen of his work. He knew his stuff, I enjoyed his animation tutorials.
Director? Not so much. He made like 3 good movies and then nothing but pretty autistic shit afterwards.

What is so wrong about a brave knight fighting to save the woman he loves?

Could someone explain to me again in Rock-A-Doodle how the irl kid ended up as an animated cat?

I actually liked that movie as a kid.

What about his later works like Titan AE and Anastasia? What do you guys think of those?

Magic owl breath.

Rotoscoping in Anastasia is extremely obvious and distracting. The movie itself is a very generic Disney wanna be. Similarly, early CGI in AE is extremely obvious and distracting. The movie had some potential but turned out to be extremely generic and by the numbers.

Me too

Anastasia is now horribly dated since they confirmed the princess did indeed die for real. And that is before you account they made Rasputin the bad guy of all people and there is literally no mention of commies.

If you like sci-fi, that can be a time killer, but its nothing really special.

That is fucking problematic, you shitlord.

NIMH>ADGTH>LBT>TitanAE>ATICP

Was he a great animator in terms of draftsmanship, layout and timing? Without a doubt. Was he a great animation *director*? he was for a hot minute but then everything he made after The Land Before time was crap. Banjo was good, NIMH was god-tier, American Tail and the Land before time were good, but how much of that was due to Spielberg's participation? I think his ability to craft a good story just isn't that great.

I am willing to bet zero.

Wasn't Bluth's thing with storytelling was that you can put kids through hell but as long as they get a happy ending they will like it?

So why the dropoff? Starting with All Dogs go to heaven his stories started to get odd as fuck. As if they were written for a foreign audience and then poorly translated for westerners.

why is that a bad thing?
im pretty sure they acknowledge the fact that Russia is controlled by the commies at the time of the movie

why does this movie get hyped up so much? I watched it a few weeks ago and it wasnt that good.

And he was right, too.

Well, see, you're an adult now, and it's meant for children.

They knew that at the time the fucking movie was made. It should have been patently obvious to you, if nothing else because they had fucking Rasputin running around in the 1920s, that it was not supposed be a historically accurate film.

did judith's death push him over the edge?

Because he wasn't one?
In the most offhand way possible

fuck you guys rockadoodle was great

Come back after you finished high school.

nice forumfag tier insult
shall I call you kid in return, or should I talk about how my dad knew walt disney?

I'm with this user. Aside from the furry bait, Rock-a-Doodle was great - especially that final battle. Patou was the biggest bro, which comes naturally when you're voiced by Phil Harris.

I liked Troll in Central Park as a kid, but I have a feeling if I watched it now, I'd hate it.

I liked all of his movies, even his bad ones.

it does depict jews as verminous rodents sneaking their way into america

It was cute, didn't deserve all the sequels though.

I still say the book was better.

Hey Holla Forums

Whether it's his bad movies or good, there's no denying he's one of the best animators ever.
Pic related looks like the animators were trolling their audience to be honest. I mean, it looks too much like a parody.

pick one

So when did Holla Forums replace Holla Forums as the boogeyman board for triggered babbies?

Since one Holla Forumsirgin tried to turn the board into his own personal army and raid this board.

So it's one autist trying to start a board war.

Geez, even in his old age he hasn't learned to resist what really amounts to fads. He's going to conform to CURRENT YEAR politics as its on its -thankfully- dying breaths and end up ruining what is one of the icons of one of his most renown works he produced that didn't suck.

Same here. I know all of it's flaws and it has a lot. But I still like it. If Chanticleer was the actual main character, the movie would have been even better.

For the last couple months

The tzars had it coming anyway.

Should I watch Thumbelina?

Troll in Central Park is unwatchable level bad.
NIMH is a masterpiece.

This is god awful, I adored that penguin with the eyebrows, the Rockhopper penguin. He was amazing. The lead character is like stab your eyes and ears with fondue forks bad.

I was such an animation obsessed kid, found this meh.

It's okay. If you like the fairy tale watch it. I can't for the life of me recall if it has songs or not. I know there's some grating bug sidekicks. All the character designs are kind of off putting, the humans are really wooden. I would say if you have the time to kill, watch it but don't make a special effort to make the time.

I love the super bright flashes of light Bluth uses- he really did take light and lighting effects in animation to another level. God he made some real stinkers, though

Pic related is a dumpster fire, I assume Bluth had nothing to do with it.

Im surprised they didn't even refer back to the actual book sequel

This isnt true.

None of this is true.

He told the Czar to not go to war in the first place

To be fair, he stays mostly on Holla Forums making threads about capeshit movies and he is very easy to spot since he refers to us as "Holla Forumsck gobblers"

He is trying to be relevant again to fit with the new, cool kids, user.

One thing I liked about Bluth's work was that he used these murky backgrounds. I don't know why they looked so detailed like a painting or something. I've never seen that used anywhere else except maybe some Disney movies in the 80's.

Ha, what a faggot.
That's almost as pathetic as the guy who keeps spamming political shitposts on Holla Forums because he got banned from Holla Forums a year and a half ago.

I figured Thumbelina wasn't that great. But I'll give it a watch sometime. That reminds me, Anastasia had really good lighting, character design and good songs.
NIMH and All Dogs Go To Heaven are my favorites.

Say what you want about rock a doodle, it has some pretty fun songs. Just a shame that the movie thinks it's a good idea to keep interupting all of chanticleer's. Thankfully found a version of Sun Do Shine that doesn't have the narration.

What has Don Bluth been doing lately? Is he working on anything new or something?

He is said to be working on Dragon's Lair cartoon, but its in development hell. Given that the shit he said recently about Daphne, I hope he never finishes it.

How come Goldie doesn't get more love? I know Rock 'A' Doodle was a shit movie, but she was one of the few decent things about it.

Thumbelina definitely has songs. Most of them aren't that great, but there are one or two good ones.
I don't think he had anything to do with most of the sequels to his movies, but I could be wrong.

OY VEY GOYIM DEM EVIL ZARS WUS NAZIS!

?

Holla Forums is basically furries and comics mixed together.

burger pls

This user is right. The plot is stupid sometimes, but fuck, the animation and the visuals were fucking great and terrifying and mystifying.

Always had a thing for Thumbelina. On second thought, I've pretty much jerked it to anything remotely human female of his. Bleuth just knows how to hit my giddy spot
in ways most animators can't, regardless of country of origin. God bless that man.
nice dub dubs btw

This orphan child was my crush at my childhood. Now I just make commisions of her being raped, tortured and being forced to have zoophilic sex with dogs.

that orphan chick looks like pinocchio.

She is a real kid, I swear!
she is anatomically correct.

You gonna share some of those sentimental treats?

I know that feel, man. Shame Bluth drank the kool-aid, I'd kill to see more Daphne.

He was definitely above average. But he was certainly not "One of the Greats" in my opinion. Only because Ralph Bakshi essentially did what Don Bluth was trying to do but he did it significantly better. Bluth was just a tad more successful but success isn't everything, especially when comparing artists in similar leagues as Bluth and Bakshi

>>>/reddit/ fucking normalfag scum

Thicc
I hope he'll turn around someday. It just sucks how autistically hostile the artistic professional community is towards non-"progressive" shit. He probably had to compromise at some point to even get (((financial support.)))

Quality art but fucking horrifying

Did Bakshi and Bluth ever work together?

bump for bluth

Just passing through to show a magic trick. Watch this
(((BUGS BUNNY)))

Oh blow it out your ass you hipster. Bakshi's shit is unwatchable janky rotoscoped garbage. Poorly written, poorly directed, poorly made edgy GARBAGE.

Bluth is 10000x the animator Bakshi is.

I like Bakshi, but Bluth is the better animator.

So you're trying to stir up political shit.
What an excellent trick, here's a (you) for you.