And why is it vim?

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/HiPhish/neovim.rkt
gitlab.com/HiPhish/MsgPack.rkt
foicica.com/textadept/
jesshamrick.com/2012/09/10/absolute-beginners-guide-to-emacs/
github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe
github.com/alols/xcape
libroediting.com/2016/08/31/did-you-know-word-can-check-for-gender-specific-language-word-2007-2010-2013-2016/
github.com/HiPhish/repl.nvim
github.com/kovisoft/slimv
haible.de/bruno/bookmarks-countries.html
clisp.sourceforge.io/impnotes/faq.html#faq-menorah-why
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fucking kys vimfag, emacs ftw

Hey kid, just use Sublime.

sam

Neovim is better than Vim.

Vimscript sucks badly, even compared to elisp. Neovim offers a solution to this problem with the msgpack-rpc API for writing extensions.

This.

Your n, e and o keys seem to be stuck, OP.

Absolutely this. Vimscript was decent enough for what it was meant to be: a highly domain-specific language for changing setting in the editor. It was never meant to do the heavy scripting people do with it.

The MessagePack RPC API is a genius idea, just plug in any extension language you like. I wish someone would make a Guile client, then we could laugh at the Emacs people who still haven't moved on to Guile yet. Oh well, we do have Common Lisp, Racket and Clojure already.

Is there any extension to replace this message?

Use neovim

I will do this.

I made a Racket client but somebody beat me to the punch and released theirs a day before I decided to get around to writing the documentation to write it.

neovim is worthless until they properly emulate going left when exiting insert mode as any vim pro is going to stumble on that.

Does nvim have a less retarded way to write syntax scripts too? Look at this bullshit that ships with the base editor.
\ start="\ze\z(\$\%(\%(\%(\d\+\|!\|/\|¢\)\|\%(\%(\%([.^*?=!~]\|:\@]*>\|«[^»]*»\|{[^}]*}\)\)*\)\.\?\%(([^)]*)\|\[[^\]]*]\|]*>\|«[^»]*»\|{[^}]*}\)\)\)"
Single line of vim-dialect regex, 265 characters long.

Maybe you need a "help poor niggers too dumb to disable the intro screen"

Nigger what?

Insert mode and returning to normal mode works in neovim exactly as it works in regular vim.

Trying it now, looks like they finally changed it to the way vim works. They were autistic about this for years about their way being better.

I don't recall this ever not working this way...

Are you sure you didn't have some weird mapping in your vimrc?

It's possible I'm confusing the vim alternatives that were popular on Holla Forums. One of the rewrites/redesigns on hitting escape would stay on the same character. I thought it was neovim. It's not necessarily a bad change, but it's different in a commonly-used way, and that's a problem when trying to replace something.

Hebrew mode isn't exclusive to Neovim.

emacs is objectively the best

Write Hebrew and help niggers in Uganda, goy!

emacs pinky.

what the fuck I love notepad.exe now!

Why hasn't this been reported as a bug?

Neovim cucked out and left it in. It's a one line config file change to suppress it though.

Nano.

2 IN THE PINK 1 IN THE STINK

This could have been a semi-intelligent shitpost thread until the /roachpol/ jew-apologists invaded

Muuuuuuuuhhhhhhh POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You really thought another Emacs vs Vim thread would yield valuable insights? KYS my man.

Pretty cool of you.

You can still reach out to the other other guy and help him get his client finished:
gitlab.com/HiPhish/neovim.rkt
production. It does work though, so if you want to tinker go right ahead.
It looks like all that is left is to finalize the public interface and the client is production-ready. The guy also wrote a MessagePack library for Racket:
gitlab.com/HiPhish/MsgPack.rkt

They are both terrible but no editor has even come close to replacing them.
Vim shit
*Asynchronous BS
*Vimscript belongs in an Indian street
*Not as extensible as Emacs

Emacs shit
*The kitchen sink is in there somewhere
*Elisp > Vimscript but still shit
*Pants on head retarded finger acrobatics

Sometimes I wonder if I'm making the right choice by learning Vis, then I remember that at least it's literally everywhere and Emacs is also shit.

[shill]
foicica.com/textadept/
[/shill]

Agreed

Why not just admit that you are homosexual?

Just use ed like a normal person

For newbie and convenience sake, emacs is the way to go.

I was a vimfag for a long time, mainly because I'm used to the vim hotkeys in pendactyl and ranger, then I tried emacs. Wow, encryption and file browser out of the box, no need for clumsy plugins, not to mentions orgmode.

tl;dr : for lazyfag = emacs

Expecting people to take your thread seriously

>>>/cuckchan/

Whatever you're already used to is probably the best. If you've been using vim for a long time don't bother using emacs. If you've been using emacs for a long time, why bother learning vim.

To any newfags who want to learn a terminal editor, you should go through vimtutor (open a terminal and type vimtutor) and the tutorial at jesshamrick.com/2012/09/10/absolute-beginners-guide-to-emacs/ . These will walk you through very basic editing tasks and allow you to decide which editor you like. You may want to look into rebinding caps lock into control for emacs because of its heavy use of ^C.

I highly recommend learning the basics of both editors because you will be able to cope with whatever madness the sysadmin of the box you just SSH'd into has implemented. Vim (technically Vi) is part of standards that all unix and linux systems follow (or at least try to follow) so it should be available to you always. Some sysadmins who prefer emacs (and fighting holy wars) might nuke Vi and Vim from their systems, so knowing emacs helps for cases like this.

Either way, both are fantastic and powerful editors. You can't really go wrong.

I use nano. It's close enough in functionality to a regular graphical editor with different shortcut keys. Get's the job done for me and I don't have to memorize keyboard shortcuts in VI or Vim. Although I really should memorize basic editing in VI for when I don't have access to nano.
Can someone give me a basic TLDR on how to edit files in VI since I am lazy?

Just use ex, vi always was just the visual mode for ex and you don't get that message.

Emacs was created with expansion in mind. It was designed to have infinite uses and you can do anything without having to open up a new program, just do it all in the emacs editor already open.

This flame wars feels like 90's for me and maybe 80's for others.
I recommend learn both superficially: Searching and replacing, running macros and small customization.
That said, I use nvi (because fuck Vim) for general editing and Emacs for my work with Oracle SQL. Emacs has a SQL mode and TRAMP allows me to edit scripts in many servers and test them in my current SQL session.

If we lived in a perfect world, though, I would be using Acme, it's much better, but *nix doesn't have the environment to allow it to function better than Emacs/nvi.

emacs isn't only an editor

This is nice.

So I'm a vim user and also a vsvim user (Visual Shittio plugin). I really like some of what the combo provides like the ability to search for references to a variable even if it shares names with other variables. Is there anything like that for standalone vim? ctags can't do this AFAIK.

Doesn't have hidpi support in MacOS. Thanks, but I'll stick with Emacs and Sublime.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe

That's really just regex being retarded
Classic example, email:
(?:[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+(?:\.[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+)*|"(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21\x23-\x5b\x5d-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])*")@(?:(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?|\[(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?|[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9]:(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21-\x5a\x53-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])+)\])

It would be nice if they had a better regex alternative for vim.

That's not vim regex syntax.

It's a great operating system lacking only a decent text editor.

It seems pretty limited compared to vsvim+vstudio,

Sam, because keyboard-based screen editors were already outdated in the 1980s.

What kind of environment?

It can do what you asked. I don't know if it can do what you didn't ask.

Namespaces and the 9p protocol. From my machine, I would be able to mount the remote server's file system in my namespace and the editor would see the files as local, it's like TRAMP, but on the OS level, not a hack with ssh/scp and Elisp.
Under Plan 9, everything is treated as a regular file more so than in the Unix sense. For instance, to access a remote server with the cpu command, your machine exports your keyboard, mouse and screen files and mount them on the remote server and the applications there read input from your keyboard and mouse and output to your screen as if they were local files, it's simple and you don't need a ton of third party applications to do remote access.
Another neat feature is there's no NAT in Plan 9. Again, everything is a file, so you simply mount the gateway's network card under your namespace and the applications will use it, it's transparent.

emacs+evil

Is there a way to achieve japanese input in sam?
also, as nice as its interface is, its inherently less convenient on UNIX than a terminal screen editor, since it has to spawn a new window. Window swallowing is a massively comfy feature.

Linux does have namespaces and 9p, and everything that's ever been built using either of them is useless gimmicks written by autists, or redhat scum out to make unmaintainable spaghetti. Quit being a little bitch and just use nfs

I'm pretty happy with Neovim for C/C++ purposes. All I need are about 5 addons. Though, intellisense as in an IDE would be nice. I'm talking about library-aware completions and such, like you can find in visual studio and QTcreator. Is there any way to get this in nvim? Or is QTCreator + Fakevim worth using?

It only does what I asked in an extremely limited situation.

The GoToDefinition subcommandLooks up the symbol under the cursor and jumps to its definition.NOTE: For C-family languages this only works in certain situations, namely when the definition of the symbol is in the current translation unit.

It's pretty rare that I want to search for accesses of a variable in the same file. I want to see uses of the variable throughout a program. It makes tracking things down in large projects massively easier.

wrong, you can run ed in emacs

If I don't want or need any networking, would acme fill my needs as some sort of emacs-lite? I've been looking at how to get acme, but it looks like I either have to run an Inferno VM with acme-sac, or install plan9port, which is the entire userspace. I just want the editor. That's why I went with wily, even though it's deprecated.

Without the facilities of Plan 9/Inferno, to me, there's little advantage of Acme over Emacs. I do like how Acme uses mouse chording and it's a shame how other editors and developers think the mouse is your enemy.
Anyway, I never got too far using P9Port, but you can actually have a workflow close the original Plan 9 with some initial effort. The only way to answer your questing is to try using Acme in your day to day activities.
If you only want an Emacs-lite, there's GNU Zile and OpenBSD's mg.

By wanting an Emacs-lite, I mostly pursue being able to live inside the editor. Acme is a sort of glue that integrates the system's tools into one interface, and Emacs provides its own tools on top of the existing system. It doesn't seem like mg and Zile provide this kind of functionality, or do they?

Why would you want to run ed when viper is built into emacs that gives full vi and ex emulation? I don't see the need for full vim emulation when vi and ex are already more than enough and anything else you might need from vim is provided through emacs itself.

ed has come in handy for me before, with fucked up terminals and keyboards. If I ever bother learning it properly, I'll probably use emacsed.el to do so. Having a dual view showing the live state of the file including syntax highlighting is actually a great experience.

Emacs has the added functionality of developing finger dexterity and pinky strength.

gys

Sorry, I mistakenly typed hidpi... it's Retina™

If you want to live inside your editor, them there's two options IMO. Install Plan 9 From User Space, read the intro(1) and learn how to use the 9P tools, specially the plumber(4), with this you can live inside Acme and pipe to the plumber and it runs the appropriated command based on regexp patterns that you set up. One small tip is that ESC selects all the text typed since the last mouse action and that helps a lot when typing commands.
The other option is Emacs, there's plenty of material about doing that in the web, so I won't go into details, use the Emacs daemon and set your $EDITOR and $VISUAL to emacsclient and you're good to go, emacsclient starts fast and you can do even small edits quickly and you don't need to keep an editor frame opened at all times.

My CS professor brought up emacs. He said there are two kinds of people. People who love emacs, and people who wonder "why?".

bump. what are your essential neovim plugins?

I'm using vis, which seems to be a much leaner alternative to both Vim and Neovim. I don't really use text editors to do any specific tasks, so I don't need any special features. Has anyone here tried it out?

lol, pleb

nerdcommenter
nerdtree
nerdtree-git-plugin
vim-obsession
vim-signature

github.com/alols/xcape

OP why are you comparing a text editor to an operating system?

Use Microsoft Word, for it is a safe space.
libroediting.com/2016/08/31/did-you-know-word-can-check-for-gender-specific-language-word-2007-2010-2013-2016/

Request: Does anyone have the expanding brain meme for text editors that has red, sed, ed in it? If so, please re-post, I can't find the copy I made.

spacemacs

I want to learn common lisp, but I also don't want to be an Emacs fag. What should I use?

Emacs.

Go suck dicks like your tranny BO.

Is there an easy way to use vim instead?

Have $5k to spend on lispworks.

Maybe. You could use the repl on the commandline. But Emacs is really what you want if you are learning lisp. Think about it user the entire editor/OS is written in lisp.

use evil mode

use spacemacs

You can use Neovim and a REPL plugin like this one:
github.com/HiPhish/repl.nvim

It's just a wrapper around the terminal, but it provides a handy command and key bindings to send code to the REPL. It's not like Slime though, it doesn't integrate with the editor itself. There is Slimv, but I haven't tried it myself.
github.com/kovisoft/slimv

You know what really pisses me off about Slime? It's split into two parts: one is the Emacs client, and the other is the SWANK server written in Common Lisp. I wanted to write a SWANK client for Neovim and get Slime functionality, but I don't have the autism super powers to read through literally thousands of lines of uncommented Common Lisp code. Would it be that much to ask for some sort of specification for the SWANK protocol? We could have shared a really nice thing, but the autism of Emacs users and Lisp programmers is astounding.

Emacs is written in C and implements an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, which is a different language from Common Lisp and the two have nothing to do with each other. It would be like comparing Javascript and C because they have similar syntax.

Besides the fact that CL takes ideas from every other lisp and scheme, emacs lisp included.

And every language takes ideas from C, that still does not mean you can equate them with C. Common Lisp is a hodgepodge of various ideas (hence the "Common" part of the name).

Modify src/version.c, it should be around line 3575.
That or use something decent, like nvi, joe or ed (the standard text editor, preferably the heirloom version instead of modified GNU one.)

hmm really makes you think

dingding

Debian strips the gibs begging as advertising. A continenent expected to grow to 5 billion niggers by 2100 totally needs more food though goy.

Syntax is superficial and as soon as you stop LARPing you will realize this.

i suppose it's too late to say OP is bait. we will destroy each other over a superlative about anything

People seem to think that if it's not "the best" it's therefore pure shit. Then they will defend what they like as if its a matter of life and death.

Lisp is a family of languages, not a language itself. Case in point, Common Lisp and Scheme have lexical scoping, Emacs Lisp has dynamic scoping. For fuck's sake, even different implementations of Common Lisp or Scheme can be considered to be their own individual languages.

Thanks for clearing that up I guess emacs isn't written in lisp after all.

Emacs is written in Emacs Lisp.

The best text editor is clearly nano and notepad++

What you described does sound better tbh. I have been using Vim for 13 years now and that is one of the things that has always bothered me to no end.

Do people bother learning vi or just jump straight into plugin land for [semi-niche purpose]? How far into the mastering vi part until the extra features of vim really become mandatory/obviously useful?

hahahaha that's so edgy and funny ur really the koolest kidd in school

Go back to reddit user-kun :3

DUDE JEWS LMAO
kys Holla Forumscuck

Kill yourself

I'm not really sure what you are asking here. If by vi you mean vi keys, you can learn that stuff in a few minutes. I recommend working through the Vim tutorial that comes with Vim (or Neovim).

With that said, vi is just a barebones editor, its high point was that you can do a lot of editing with few keystrokes, which was important when you were using a terminal from home over a shitty network connection and every single byte matters. For today's computers and network speeds this is irrelevant. Vim has added a lot of great features I would not want to miss from a text editor in general. Think of vi as notepad with weird keyboard controls and of Vim as a text editor for programmers with weird keyboard controls.

Everything you need to know about lisp/emacs

What does this have to do with emacs?

Fuck off kike

The menorah means that Lisp is a Jewish language.

Top shitpost

because Holla Forumsyps are braindamaged

EMACS is written in Lisp. (It's (syntax (is (fucking (terrible (, (if (you (couldn't (already (tell.))))))))))

Emacs is written in Emacs Lisp (actually just parts of it, the core is written in C). CLISP is an implementation of Common Lisp. If you want to bring Jews into the picture you could have pointed out that both (((Stallman))) and (((McCarthy))) (inventor of the original Lisp) are both Jews.

And the syntax (or rather lack of) is genius because it exposes the AST of the program directly to the user. Not only is there no ambiguity of operator precedence, you can also transform the AST to add new features to the language.

You know what the best part about this is? Neither Haible nor Stoll are Jews themselves, but they used a menorah anyway. Literally good-goy syndrome.

haible.de/bruno/bookmarks-countries.html

The Clisp FAQ says:
clisp.sourceforge.io/impnotes/faq.html#faq-menorah-why

Maybe the FAQ made a mistake, maybe he converted, or maybe Haible is just a really good goy. I guess you can ask him if you really care.

The vast majority of GNU Emacs is written in Elisp. The C core is tiny, and, ironically, the fact that it needs Unix to boot is what makes GNU Emacs so portable. And the issue of Elisp isn't its syntax so much--the syntax is fine--as it is its technical limitations, although the threading meme is blown way out of proportions.

Debianfags who like modularity and “user knows best” attitude use Vim.
Gentoofags who like centralized programs and memory efficiency use emacs.
There is no right answer, only which end of the autism spectrum you are.

In my experience Gentoo users tend towards nano, and modern debian users prefer kate or gedit.

Gentoo uses nano as it's default editor actually.
You're more right than you'd think.

I was not trying to make fun of anybody. (Enjoy your menus if you like them.) Those were genuine observations.