Linux Pirates Bundling Games in Flatpak

Is THIS the year of the Linux desktop? Since pirates and devs alike can just package the games and Wine settings together in a Flatpak with no dependency conflicts, AND it's sandboxed so it's even safer than an .exe on Windows, could this be what helps people move over to Linux? It won't just be games either. Pretty soon we should be seeing Photoshop, Sony Vegas, and other software in flatpaks as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fosero/flatpak-overlay
pipewire.org/
gamingonlinux.com/
couchsurfing.com/people/liam-dawe
twitter.com/thenaughtysquid
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can you install flatpacks on gentoo? If no, then no it won't happen.

Well, torrents are dying.

github.com/fosero/flatpak-overlay

You can install cross distro Flatpaks on Gentoo, Funtoo, Arch, Slackware, and even Alpine.

Remind me never to install flatpacks/systemdick

I like AppImage better. Doesn't require pre-installed daemon, but has one if you want it. Sandboxing? Firejail.

Problem is AppImages are less secure, and they run into the same problems as the Steam runtime. I still like them for thesting alpha and beta software though.

Flatpak no longer requires systemd.

This shit belongs on smartphones, no desktops.

Poor Canonical (snaps) cucked by Redhat once again

To be honest, I'd rather have Flatpaks than the mess we have now. Mojo, RPM, Deb, custom installer scripts and the like are all really shitty and, in most cases, insecure ways to distribute commercial software.

They have there uses on the desktop too. Think of all those games GOG and Humble distribute with outdated and insecure libs.

It's the same shit, get everyone to agree to use RPM/DNF, or dpkg/apt or pacman, or BSD-pkg. And it's the same thing as snap or flatpak.

In a couple of years, you'll have a dozen of these package distributors as well. THe only difference is the bundling of dependencies, which makes it a lot faster to distribute to any distro, but is no different from what Windows and Mac does.

their uses*

The old way allowed you to run old software with updated libs.

Flatpak will mean that devs distribute their paks or their snaps with versions of libs from 2001.

Ideally, we will have Flatpak for general distribution and AppImage for testing alpha and beta shit.

Flatpak looks like it will win out over Snaps at the moment, but we'll see.

Not necessarily in the case of Flatpak. And at least in either case there is sandboxing at work, unlike Mojo and the rest.

You're forgetting new libs can break old software. it's why shit like the Steam runtime exists in the first place, and GOG and Humble bundles libs as a standard practice.

Are flatpacks designed so you can do both? Like a bash variable for system libraries or self contained libraries being used? That way even if the old libraries work you can always use your own if you don't like/trust them or want updates.

The issue I have the most is that flatpak isn't suited for general OS updates. You'd need a package manager for OS programs and libs and the app manager for flatpak apps. You'd have in essence the same issue as with phones (eg iOS updates vs AppStore updates)

That's on top of the regression into Windows/Mac style redundancy. I also don't like the idea of sandboxing unless i'm on mobile. Window's version of flatpak packages everything in an crypted-filesystem (think AppImage + encfs). I could see Pottering adopting this in the future.

It's not use worrying about it too much now but I really don't want to give up Arch and Gentoo's excellent package managers and see them get phased out in favor of this phone-style scheme, which is garbage for me.

There are actually three options in the case of Flatpak. What you mentioned and small runtimes that can be shared by multiple Flatpaks.

Flatpak is not a threat to your package manager (maybe the AUR is a different story). It is an alternative means of distributing software from outside your distro's repo. You might never need to do that, but a LOT of us do.

Nope, flatpak and snapd both aim to be THE FUTURE of application distribution on Linux as a platform.

Might have to use Gentoo more often since flatpak won't affect it too much anyway. RIP Arch.
I'll appreciate flatpak on my Librem KDE Plasma phone though

Do you even know what you're talking about? You're repo isn't going anywhere. Flatpak just makes distributing shit outside of repos easier and more secure.

Fuck off Pottering. Nobody is going to go the repo route if Redhat's repo gets a monopoly on the number of packages available. Eat shit and die you faggot.

Next is going to be: "each program comes in it's own virtual machine container; package once and run on any OS and architecture, you have 50TB microwave drives now after all"
So much redundancy and you've barely made a dent in ecosystem complexity. Long-term compatibility isn't solved either.

Nice little sperg out user, but Flatpak actually removed systemd as a dependency.

Anyone can distribute Flatpaks, how would redhat ever do that?

5 years people will look back at package managers like people look back on compiling.

As a neccessity done by those smarter then them?

He said that flatpak will replace traditional pkg managers the way systemd and pulseaudio did.

Flatpak is already poised to beat out snapd. Redhat has leverage over Gnome and xdg (Pottering). Anything they push out is going to be in Fedora, but is also going to be a standard for any distro that wants to ship the latest version of Gnome, systemd, pulseaudio, and any program that depends on thos components (eg. firefox).

Those of us who have been paying attention notice that Redhat has close to 100% copywrite ownership of many components now core to the modern Linux ecosystem. They could change the license of the portions that they own and commercialize the future of modern Linux desktop overnight.

For id it was just a shellscript. Good times.

This is why you don't use those. Use KDE, openrc, OSS, and any other program (eg. icefox/palemoon). Keep copies of the source code everywhere so when it goes closed source it can be forked in the underground. Gentoo is perfect for grabbing the source of all packages you need to build a working distro.

Also 100% this.
>Those of us who have been paying attention notice that (((Redhat/cianigger))) has close to 100% copywrite ownership of many components now core to the modern Linux ecosystem. They could change the license of the portions that they own and commercialize the future of modern Linux desktop overnight.

Who owns muslC? I know glibC is a lost cause for both code quality and redhatted.

No. It's going to replace debs, RPM, Mojo, and all that other retarded shit.

Shit that takes way more time than necessary to be worth it in most cases, more like.

But again, Flatpak is about replacing RPM, not repos.

Flatpak is not designed for things that work well in repos as they are today, like kernels, libraries, shell tools, daemons, or core desktop infrastructure like X and Mesa. Those will all continue to be distributed as they are today. Flatpak draws a bright line between that shit and third party applications that aren't easy to package for whatever reason, whether that's patched libraries, version collisions, different release cadence (new packages on Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu LTS, etc.), or just stuff that's a pain in the nigger to configure like the flatpak+wine bundles OP mentioned.

THIS IS A GOOD THING. It solves the "a bloo bloo bloo Linux binaries are too haaaaaaaard" complaint from third party developers without forcing the distros to give up the differences that let them each fit into different roles. It's also pushing for the creation of PipeWire, which is basically a superior Linux version of OS X's high level integrated media libraries, which again, makes shit easier to write and port, thus increasing third party application support down the line, and GETTING RID OF PULSEAUDIO IN THE PROCESS.

pipewire.org/

Flatpak sandboxing leverages Linux-specific tools and APIs. FreeBSD has Capsaicin and OpenBSD has Pledge, so I'm sure they could create their own sandboxed app formats if they really needed to, but each OS handles things very differently, so a least-common-denominator version would be awful and useless.

It turns out that when you have the most developer manpower to throw at stuff you tend to be able to make changes that suit your needs. Red Hat is hardly the only company in a position to do this. Ubuntu/Canonical was calling the shots on the desktop for a long time while Red Hat sat around with their thumbs up their asses, and Suse is taking the lead on BtrFS development while RHEL/CentOS is probably dropping BtrFS entirely in the future due to lack of developer manpower.

So, if I understand this correctly, these are Wine bottled games bundled in a Flatpak? Is there any advantage for distributing Wine wraps this way?

ebin

Site upgrades. Try flathub.

Can't bundle Gallium 9 support, I know that much.

You are inbred.

You want to be pwned, or why?

You absolutely fucking can. Even so, it doesn't need to be flatpak literally; it could be AppImage or Snappy or literally any other portable distribution format. I think AppImage is better for the purpose because it's standalone, but flatpak is easily available enough.

I've long waited for this day.

Glad to see this, best of luck to you guys.

If done correctly, the end user won't have to configure or do anything to get the game running.
They could bundle versions of Wine not available in the repos (for instance, Cuphead comes with Wine 2.19 which isn't available in Debian or Ubuntu repositories.) They could also bundle special versions of Wine with patches to add support for controllers and things like that. Also, sandboxing Windows programs is always a huge plus.
The only downside is that it duplicates libraries, but nobody really cares since 20 MB extra per binary is irrelevantly in today's storage.

Last year, looking for games with the qbittorrent's search engine I found a lot of games bundled with Wine. It was a real click-and-play and worked on all Linux distros, no need for Flatpack.
But they were all done by Russians and distributed on Rutracker, most of the games were in Russian with no option to change language. At least I could play Banished without headache.

Another downside is that there's no way to support Gallium 9 with these things. A Hat in Time runs WAY better with G9.

i know about AppImage, but how does Flatpak work? From what I can understand on its website it looks more like Chocolatey for Windows than .app files on macOS, i.e. a package manager for downloading complete binaries.

Flatpak is basically F-Droid for your PC complete with sanboxing.
Snapd is basically F-Droid for your PC/server/Internet of Shit/other operating systems complete with a sandbox.

YEAR OF LINUX ANTIVIRUS

Neat. I see a bunch of flatpak games added recently on piratebay, it would be nice if it caught on. None of this modern shit would probably work on my Intel HD 3000 gpu though.

Why is that? Can't they just bundle it with a wine binary that has the gallium nine patchset applied?

So with flatpacks, snaps, appimages, etc this will finally make linux like downloading an .EXE and run it without problems?

Yes, albeit a little more secure and without the risk of destroying your OS.

some cunt please link fucking halo flatpack halo is so fucking cash man, thanks cunts.

also this man i want to set up a seedbox to keep alive some torrents classic movies and shit fuck those hollywood mpaa cunts but those seedbox cunts are fucking jews too dude you cunts need to seed more lazy fuck wank cunt face cuntfucks worthless no seed leechfags

A bit more like downloading an Android .apk and installing it without problems. A .exe can do arbitrary things, a flatpak ends up as a single application without unnecessary privileges. If I remember correctly a properly set up flatpak can't access files other than those you select through a file picker. Stuff like that, which mobile platforms figured out ages ago when they had the opportunity to build a system from the ground up.

That would be awful. You already just install from the repositories without problems, changing to 'download it off the internet and double click' would make anything obscure harder to find and turn everything into a clusterfuck of sandboxed redundancy.
Like other anons said, its good for shit like this. If your distro doesnt package something, or preconfigured wine+vidya, or using some KDE/GNOME Program without installing most of a desktop environment.
I'm not sure I like the idea of any of it though, it seems like they all want to make it the standard way of doing everything.

Wew

this

/thread

Wouldn't work for 70-80% of users. Gallium 9 is an AMD+Mesa/ Nvidia+Nouveau only thing. I don't thing it even works with Intel.

Ok, listen here, and listen carefully: THERE IS SHIT YOU CANNOT FIND IN A REPO!!!

Commercial software of any kind, for example, EVEN if the code is open source, will probably never be put into anybody's repo.

Minecraft is in my nonfree repos. So is google chrome, skype, discord, spotify.
I also literally fucking said that:
learn to read, fucking retard.

The AUR is not a standard repo archfag.

Speaking of the AUR before you two derail the thread, could we end up having a distro agnostic AUR with Flatpak? A FUR, if you will.

No, they really are in the repos for my distro. Not the AUR(dont even use arch), not some PPA, the official, developer provided nonfree repos.
now kill yourself.

Stop derailing the thread. Flatpak based piracy is what the thread is about.

This won't happen. Why live?

You mean meaty mammal?

Cuphead does.

I guess somebodies going to need to get started bundling GOG games at some point. I mean, at least 70% of the shit sold there runs in Wine.

More like 80-90% if you know what you're doing, probably.

Linux can already run executable binaries, you stupid fuck.

Do you actually run Linux?
Do you regularly download binaries for software that wasn't packaged for any particular distro?
How often do they come bundled with libraries and maybe a wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
Are you LARPing?

Evil. Though it's not like the Windows versions aren't already up for Torrent.

So? I just want easy installs for shit that's not in the official repos yet. This will HELP software get into official repos by raising adoption a lot faster and making better candidates. It's win-win.

Was this (KIKI IS A TRAP NOW) just a one off thing, or is this guy adding more and more games?

>You can install cross distro Flatpaks on Gentoo, Funtoo, Arch, Slackware, and even Alpine.

You are confused. Two distros can use the same package manager, but that doesn't make the packages compatible with both of those distros. They could have different versions of various libraries in their repositories or one might have libraries that are not available in the other. With Flatpak none of this matters at all.

Why not just build static binaries and run them in a sandbox ? The sandboxing is also suspect. Per process namespaces are not a new idea but unless they're implemented at the kernel level how can they be effective ?

How is this better than running a stripped down Windows Server 2016 in a virtual machine with GPU passthrough?
I ask because I just downloaded a copy of Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition through imagespark.
The datacenter edition can be used for an unlimited number of virtual hosts, so other Holla Forumsnologists using it in a VM shouldn't be a problem for me.
Being Server 2016 means you can remove all the spyware and even run headless if you want.
But you would have to promise not to install on bare metal as it is limited *I think to two maybe** in the number of host installs.

dreamspark*

virtual guests*
Goddamn I need a coffee.

Since you can't see the source you can never know that to be true.

If you're taking that argument, why not apply the same argument to the proprietary software that you're using? Whether it be any of the Adobe software or a proprietary software game, all of it has the potential to be malicious for the reason that we are forbidden to study the source code.

Now he gets it

It's called sandboxing. I'm almost certainly safe running my proprietary applications under wine because they're isolated from the rest of the system. Windows on the other hand is the fucking system and has access to everything and anything.

It's isolated in a VM with GPU passthrough you goofus.

So, was Suckless right all along, then? Static linking being the way to go?

Wine isn't a sandbox, unless paired with something like firejail

dolus, stop avatarfagging and make your website already.
gaminglinux.website

Better stay as is tbh.

Wrong.

GNU SOC really has taken over this place...

sєcon𝚍ed

Pretty sure he already did. Yes, I'm saying Dolus is Liam.

gamingonlinux.com/

Wine doesn't sandbox anything. In fact, Wine is pretty dangerous because a. It's a compatibility layer, so all programs that run under it run like native programs and b. It exposes the entirety of the system to said programs; which is why Wine will give a giant warning when run as superuser.
A malware run in Wine can still read/write files in your PC, download/execute scripts, send copies of itself, etc. In fact, there are several people in forums complaining that their Windows partition got infected through Wine.
Of course, the lack of NT and several libraries diminishes the impact of malware, but it still can happen, so be careful when running software through Wine.

dolus is self-confessed Texan (I know their real name, unfortunately). Liam dawe is Canadian:
couchsurfing.com/people/liam-dawe
twitter.com/thenaughtysquid

The reason I'm asking to make a site of their own should be blatant to them. GoL doesn't cover piracy and winetricks, esp their amd exploration&testing. You have 5+ friends that can already help you out who like gaming, and on linux. I'm designing and programming what I already promised, which is why I killed the account. GS is a timesink. So is most imageboards. I only come here monthly to read news. I don't use centralized imageboards.

Good luck anyways

Considering what 'dolus' means, you should take anything he says about himself with a grain of salt.

How can one man be so perpetually salty?

Fuck off with this meme. Either learn how Linux works or fuck off back to your Wall Gardened OS.

The theme issue is minor and there's already a workaround.

does firejail wine program work well?

They work for me in Arch, SUSE, Fedora and Debian based distros. Anything outside of that is a tad off the beaten path.

Can Flatpak do anything to mitigate this shit?

HA HA HA LOL

Yea, wine works just fine with firejail. However, firejail is a tool, it's possible to use it wrong. Read the manpages.

Personally, I use it to restrict wine to a single folder. I also use the --net=none option for singleplayer games. Principle of least privilege and all that jazz.

Windows apps aren't sandboxed.

He meant torrents as in the protocol, not how you for some reason call your decrepit blue ballsack.

It would be convenient if it worked.

I like apt, I like emerge, I like any package manager that makes use of shared libraries. They excel at managing everything that matters, and make it hard to fuck up a stable system outside of rolling releases.
Shit like Arch and random software from insecure sources needs something like flatpak.

That being said, if it requires systemd, it's garbage.
flatpak/jessie-backports 0.8.5-2+deb9u1~bpo8+1

Sure, sure, user. You're sincere and just naturlly happen to believe in these propositions, we understand. Talk some more, we want to listen to you amd believe you.

Your face isn't sandboxed

Flatpak doens't need systemd anymore.

The protocol itself is already compromised on the encryption front. Literally everybody should be running away from torrent as fast as possible and setting up alternatives with higher security.

I checked the official repos as I posted that and included the package that I found.
it never had systemd as a dep in devuan
I don't think it ever needed systemd, the packagers just forced it.
It's different tech, but the fact that it doesn't need systemd like the container shit that's being forced is a huge plus.

It would be nice to be able to install fast turnover projects libreoffice, mpv, krita, steam, games, etc as flatpaks on a stable OS, assuming the unavoidable dependencies are compatible.
It would also be nice being able to neatly install software in a user account.
Though I could never see flatpak overtaking a proper package manager. The concept that every package has it's own libraries is extremely wasteful.
If you were to keep going down that path, you'd see GNU or BSD OS's reach parity with Windows install bloat. I like being able to have a full featured OS+DE fit in

The only sane way to do package management is binary package managers + a ports system. It should be trivial to take a random git repo and turn it into a ready-to-install package. I think that's how Void does it.

Flatpak is for proprietary software. Ick.

This is Windows-tier niggerdom

What is so hard about downloading a tarball, unextracting it, and running make && make install? Unless your distro has a package-building mechanism or a ports tree, you will have to do it one time or another.

Building from source means you have to fuck around with dependencies, takes longer, and sometimes just doesn't work because of some version mismatch. It's especially terrible if it turns out your distro doesn't package a required library. In the best case scenario it's a bit less convenient than Flatpak, in the worst case it's hell. It's unnecessary duplication of effort. It also makes it harder to update, compared to installing from Flatpak repositories.
I think the only software on my system that's built from source is things I wrote myself and an unreleased version of GNU Emacs. You can get away with not building things.

Running an up-to-date version of Krita on my LTS box-o-stability thanks to Appimage. These things are useful for keeping your FOSS fresh too.

Yes. But unlike AppImage and Snap, Flatpak at least tries to minimize the extra bloat with runtimes that multiple Flatpaks can share. Still extra bloat, but instead of 50 different copies of libfoo, you might have four or five.

Torrent was never peak security, and never will be. That's unfortunate, but saying it will die is delusional to say the least. There are huge piracy platforms built around it, already struggling like mad to stay up without having to worry about more complex implementations or big migrations. Unless pigs storm down on it like never before and manage to really kill it or something near that, it is definitely not going anywhere.
And in this regard it's a necessary evil. Because this is not 2001, a huge portion of people making piracy the powerful arm that it is are almost normie-tier in terms of Holla Forums, and you can hate the fact if you want, but we need them.

-having to set up compile options on each program
-putting up with manual dependency management
you could build a package (deb/rpm/whatever) and maintain it yourself, but you may have to do the same for its dependencies, and solve any conflicts yourself

And in the cases where the tarball is just an archive with a binary and some libs, there is ZERO sandboxing going on and those libs are usually VERY dated. You still need those VERY dated libs to make the program work though.

We need something like Flatpak, for all of its current faults.

We also need glibc to stop breaking shit right and left on a whim.

It's just another evil technology to be outlawed so we can help businesses protect their IP, user. I understand that you want to use this for this linux game you play, but think of all the money Microsoft would lose from you pirating.

I imagine Flatpak makes some sense for sandboxing the wine bottle.

Seriously? Does flatpak have an issue with st?

do
export TERM=xterm
then it works

That defeats the purpose of using Suckless.

Are you retarded?

What are they analogue to, then?

They're closer to apk and dmg than a package manager.

Both apk and dmg are supposed to be installed from "stores" and not downloaded directly, just like Snaps and Flatpak.

Speaking of pirates.
Is there something like "cgpeers" for music?
I'm a poorfag but I really want Modarts Pianoteq VST since it runs on Linux natively.

Well,

>>>/r/9080
damnit.

That's good, but so is the NixOS/Guix declarative style.

I don't get why you should use this?
Isn't just torrenting the windows versions and putting them through wine good enough?
Most of these are basically just that, winewraps.
Why do we need a whole new packaging tool to do what can easily be done already?

This is the most retarded thing I've read today, congratulations

Unless you can use G9, these pre-configured Wine bottles might save you some trial and error getting these games to work.

It sets an environment variable, not your actual terminal.
If you use a hipsterish $TERM then a lot of software won't know what to do.

There are still the same games avaliable since before. Lets see if people bother to make Flatpak torrents of not just indie games, because with only just Banished, Cuphead, and a Hat in time as interesing games, there arent a lot of shit for gamers to get interesed.

So how do I use flatpak? I have just staryed using linux (Ubuntu Mate), and I have installed flatpak, and want to test one of these games (Cuphead). But I dont know how to do it. Clicking on install or run doest do nothing.

I'll see if I can get Witcher 3 running in a flatpak

Nobody itt posted how to even install flatpak or find a list of games or at least some basic documentation, why would you expect people to explain how it works after installing?

Nevermind, I done it. For those who want to know, just put in terminal $ flatpak install "path to where is the game file"/name of the file.

Once all have been installed, check if it is installed by writting $ flatpak list, Then open the run.sh, and then copy & paste whatever is there to your terminal.

forgot to add that the file at the end of the install order is the .flatpak one.

Says the animefag who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I fucked up, can I copy my filesystem to someplace else?

Enlighten us then.

No.

You're the one who's gonna have to explain how they're shitty an insecure in the first place if you made that claim.

Gee, I wonder what could possibly go wrong downloading shit from random places without ANY form of sandboxing.

Can't they just add some way to check if your system already has required libraries and if it does not then statically link ONLY the missing libraries?

I don't want any warez or commercial software though. Anyway, glad I left Linux behind over a decade ago. None of this shit will get traction on OpenBSD.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Congrats to linuxfags for finally discovering the wonders of executable installers.

user, get your brain damage checked. I'm worried about you.