So they're working on a Linux smartphone over at librem but how long until we get an OPENBSD smartphone?

So they're working on a Linux smartphone over at librem but how long until we get an OPENBSD smartphone?

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/armv7.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably never. Smartphones will always require firmware blobs to work.

This isn't really an issue.

Why openbsd?

It is if you want OpenBSD on one.

Android fucking sucks and Replicant isn't optimal as a daily driver. This new device seems to fit that middle ground until someone goes full hero and makes something that can be fully libre but also work with cell carriers.

You're never going to get fully libre smart phones. At least not in the US.

I think we will get an open source phone that is based more on a distro linux then googles linux. It will be how you have an X220 with linux but it still have Intel ME etc.

Some of it will always be black boxed because of the FCC and cell carriers. It would be nice to see a fully open smartphone, hell I'd probably dock it and use it as my daily driver. I don't think it will ever happen.

Could be sooner than you think, OpenBSD supports the imx6 platform already.
openbsd.org/armv7.html

Baseband yes, everything else can be libre, Librem 5 will not give the baseband DMA access and instead will communicate via USB with an open source driver.
Lunduke had the Purism CEO on his show, well worth the 50 minutes if you're at all interested.
youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA

a-are they wearing p-panties under those jerseys?

When this phone launches it better still be sold afterwards because I will save up for a phone like this.

Depth doesn't exist in 2D, user. Nothing is "beneath" these pixels arranged in a pattern that resembles a jersey to 3D eyes.

Nothing is "beneath" an image received by your retina, either. That image is a vision of reality, in which "beneath" does exist. The image in the OP is a vision of the artist's imagination, in which a "beneath" might also exist.

That looks too good to be true tbh. Cellphone manufactures make shitloads of money forcing people to upgrade hardware. Apple and Google will probably do everything in their ability to provent it from hitting the market.

Can you not see the benefit in having a phone last as long as the cellular technology to make calls is alive? Imagine getting the latest Android without having to buy new hardware. Imagine a smartphone OS that isn't slow as fuck while still getting security updates. I realize you need to puff up your chest and be a retard, but could you find some other board to do it?

Maki best girl.

I hope there will be something like that without the baseband, so that I can have an "open sores" iTouch.

They go on pre-order now that they've hit their funding.

It's not magic, you can get a much more powerful android phone for the money they're asking.
This phone is setting up to be the reference phone for UBPorts, PostmarketOS, Gnome and KDE.
They've made partnerships with Matrix, Monero, KDE, Gnome and Next Cloud.
You're paying for a potential ecosystem.

Just toggle the hardware kill switch.

k

stop hitting on me, creep

What's the point of powerful hardware if it's limited by operating system?

s-sorry...

how to fix carriers to fix phone?

Lots and lots of money and child prostitutes. Some occult set dressing might also help.

ok i will move to ukraine

Try Novorossiya. I am sure they would welcome a new cellphone carrier.

hopefully never

Private
Mesh
Femtocells

Too late. There are already ISPs who offer a few coins worth of services to use your home WiFi and some of the organizations behind ham and enthusiast radio networks are oddly well founded by corporate sponsors.

That mindset is what the Purism guys are betting on.

I JUST WANT AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE OPENBSD BASED DUMB PHONE WITHOUT TOUCHSCREEN, WITHOUT WIFI CHIP, WITHOUT CAMERA AND WITH HARDWARE SWITCH FOR CELL NETWORK

How is that still not a thing? How hard can this really be to make?

try lurking in underground markets
not that I know where they are but it ain't cheap for sure.
easier to make one yourself or just stick to outdated pre-3g phones.

It's not hard to make, it's simply not worth any manufacturer's time. Your kind of demographic is totally unprofitable for all the big phone manufacturers.

If you want something that dumb, a straight-up L4 kernel interface would probably do it, since L4 kernel has been running on phones forever. Check out SeL4.
Reminder that obsd is only secure by design and that even De Raadt makes mistakes in implementation.

Heck, the proprietary software of baseband on the Purism Librem is probably a variation of L4.

Pandora has a SIM slot, doesn't it?

I don't want a microkernel. Linux would be good enough too, but if I had to choose I would choose OpenBSD for code quality, not just for security.

This is why you ate alone in school.

The specs numbers make normies drool even if they don't know what any of them mean.
Technology isn't being made with progress in mind anymore, it's all marketing. You can see that with nvidia purposefully crippling the gtx 970 by having an uneven memory pool with the last 512MBs being extremely slow instead of disabling them just to say "look! 4GBs!" for instance.
That's why an actually usable android phone (i.e battery won't go from 100% to 0% after 2-3 hours with the screen on, rendering the phone an overpriced and fragile nokia 3301) will never come, companies think they need to put out low clocked octa cores on a platform where multitasking consists of a bloated OS running in the background and rarely anything but the 3 games normies play is threaded or even can be.
Nobody but aftermarket manufacturers makes bigger batteries because companies want to run around saying "Look! This phone is so thin you can slip it into your eyesocket! How useful is that huh!?"

I bought an Odroid U2 in 2013. It's based on the ARM Cortex A9. It came with 2GB RAM and I used it as a daily driver for two years. It could do everything a regular desktop Linux machine could do. I was even ripping DVDs and encoding them to MPEG4, albeit not quickly. These smart phones are capable of so much more and Android/iOS are the limiting factor. Newer SoCs even have OpenCL support which is completely wasted.

Kernelspace can be FLOSS, but GSM and other crap will need proprietary crap, that won't affect the system directly and they have to be real time too.

Based gooks.

As long as the baseband (cell radio, SIM stuff, e911 GPS, etc) is locked away in a closed source magic chip that you are not allowed to see in to I don't think your will get much attention from the OpenBSD people. Its the the same reason you didn't see them port to the raspi. Binary blobs are bad and closed source magic chips are bad.

If u want a cuccfon just buy IpHonex Luke everybody els

They're behind by about 2 years because the devs dedicated much of their time to bitch about Gamergate

The guys behind purism? They've been developing PCs, not writing newspaper articles for 2 years. Unless you can post proof then fuck off.

I think he meant openBSD, but he is wrong. It was the cucks at FreeBSD.