Keyboard autism

Hello Holla Forums. Recently my keyboard broke, the "6yhn" column stopped responding one key at a time, so I'm looking for a new keyboard. So far I had been using the Apple aluminium keyboard, which is a flat rubber-dome keyboard, similar to a notebook keyboard, and I really liked how little I had to press the keys and how the keys were not much higher than the desk.

Right now I'm using an el-cheapo fat keyboard which feel horrible, it so bulky that I had to raise my chair up, but how my wrists have to hover above the desk. The keys have to be pressed all the way down and they have terrible travel. It's not bad when hitting the keys straight up like on the home row, but for keys I need to reach and hit them at an angle it feels like the keys need to get unstuck first. It's a pain to type for any expanded period of time.

I was considering buying the Apple keyboard again, but then I found out that Apple has discontinued my model and replaced it with something they call the "Magic Keyboard" which they now charge 150$ for. At that price I would expect the keyboard to be actually magical, fuck this shit. Even worse, now the price for used Apple keyboards has jumped up to over 50$, and for that money I could have bought a new and sealed one back in the day. I'm not buying any of that, I'm not that much of a dick sucker.

So I figured "fuck it", and I'm ready to give something new a try. What is the deal with mechanical keyboards, are they just a meme or is there really something to them? I never tried one, I don't even know what the difference is. I am concerned about the height, all the mechanical keyboards I have seen are fat bulky ones like pic related.

What I expect from a keyboard is primarily to be good for a lot of typing. I'm using (Neo)vim and currently I have a thesis to write, so this is pretty much the worst time for a keyboard to break. I don't care about all that gamer shit with blinking LEDs and I can touch-type, so no need for glow-in-the-dark keycaps (I never look at my keyboard, so the caps might as well be blank). I also don't need media keys like "play" or "pause", but I do need keys for for volume, brightness and for ejecting discs. It would not be a deal-breaker not to have those, but it would be a deal-maker to have them. And ideally there would be a USB-hub in the keyboard as well. I have no idea why this hasn't caught on outside the Apple world; do people enjoy crawling under the desk to plug in their mouse or a USB stick? As my OS I use macOS and GNU/Linux, and I'm going to stick to this combination for a while before I can switch to GNU/Linux completely.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I am only interested in wired keyboards with number key block. Pic related is the Apple keyboard I was using, it's a bit hard to tell how flat it is from that angle, but it should give you an idea.

I bought a new keyboard 2 years ago from a Chinese electronics market new for 22 yuan (about $3.50). I am still using it today and it works fine. I am an aggressive typist too.

I've had the same keyboard for 7 years

You are also aggressively autistic

I used to be fixed on having volume controls on my keyboard but then I got an MX Master 2 and having volume control on the mouse is the best thing and I'll never go back. I urge you to consider it.

jesus fucking christ, get yourself a mechanical keyboard. rosewill rk9000v2, they're cheap on ebay and work great. Shop around, do yourself a favor.

Can anyone recommend a good hardware DVORAK keyboard? I need something that'll just plug in and work in other computers and in computer BIOS

Was that so hard?

Get or make a custom one powered by a Teensy 2.0 or something. Hardcode in the DVORAK layout and it'll work the way you expect it to. From there you just need DVORAK caps, which shouldn't be too hard to find.

This.
Fancy mechanical keyboards are for manchild with erectile dysfunction.

Keyboard enthusiast are mostly autists and posers. But, a good keyboard will change your life for the better, if you spend a couple of hours using one every day. It does not have to be fancy. It does not have to be expensive. It just has to fit the way you use it.

The end.
Stop with meme keyboards.

here's a tip, go to the goodwill or whatever place is around just buy a keyboard there. If you're buying trash, just buy used trash, it's all the same.

get with the times, grandpa

Are you even trying, user?

You're pathetic

Yeah, right, it's insane how people can think differently from you, it shouldn't be the case, it shouldn't be allowed, it's inconceivable.

The problem is not thinking different, but intentionally harming yourself. Shitty keyboards will cause irreversible nerve damage over time. Not just "can", but "will".
Of course, that's irrelevant if all you do is hunt and peck a one line image board post twice a day.

😂😂 user, 💩 you are 🚫 not 👩 diverse enough

🍆🍑💩 😉

He's right you know. Mechanical switches are superior because they allow you to have tactical feedback and don't strain your hands as much as shitty membrane keyboards. The only reason membrane keyboards exists was cost cutting because most people aren't serious typist and do not notice. If you're spending more than an hour a day using a keyboard you shouldn't use them. You will damage your wrists in time and you will regret it. I avoided buying a good keyboard for years because I was a poorfag and figured it was just a meme and not I'm fucked. Can't even weed eat my yard or run a chainsaw without losing all strengh in my wrists combined with numbness and pain after only a short time.

If you're concerned about it begin too loud get silent switches. They exist and work just find, don't get caught up in the autism about which switch to go with they're all better than what you're using now. I found multiple IBM Model Ms at goodwill and in peoples basements. There is no excuse not to use a better keyboard.

A good keyboard really does not have to be expensive. You can get a new one with Kailh switches for ~50€/$. And used keyboards, as you wrote, can be had for an apple and an egg.

I used cherry MX browns, they're pretty much my favorite. Nice tactile feelings with a little click but not an overbearing amount like an MX blue. The logitech romero-g switches are my number 2.

The problem is that your keyboards are false Gods, and that they don't make a dime difference.
Tons of ergonomic models and research were made, and nothing worked, neither your meme keyboards.

Your problem seems to be that you never experienced the difference. You probably think of it as a social issue, and just want to set yourself apart form the faggots in keyboard threads on /g/ and reddit.

Exactly, keyboard tenting is just a meme; my Macbook Pro keyboard just werks
t. Toronto

it's not that they didn't work, it's that they never took off. A lot of people don't understand how they work so they avoid them. They're not bad, just niche.

goteem *dabs*
this post is brought to you by Audible.com

Seriously now, if you're not a professional who types all day non stop, or if you're not a gaymer virgin, you really don't need this stuff.

Do you have a source for this? I could see a cramped laptop keyboard or something like that being harmful, but I'd like to see some more information.

I'm interested in knowing too. He sounds right, but a source would settle many arguments on the topic.

Repetitive vibration and use of a keyboard will fuck you over. I thought it was all bullshit when I was a youngfag but it's true. Mine is a combination of using power tools and typing for most of the day for the majority of the time I was 10-mid 20s. It does catch up with you. If you don't believe me that's fine you can enjoy a life of pain like the rest of us. If you want a good source ask your doctor (I know, da joos) or search around for medical texts on the subject. I'm not trying to shill a more expensive keyboard to you I'm just looking out and saying that for me a mechanical keyboard makes my days more bearable.

At first it isn't bad; just general numbness in the fingers/hand. From there it will progress into weakness and pain. I ran a weedeater last week for less than an hour and dropped it because my right hand went completely numb and I couldn't hold on to the tool. This is so common for me now that I have to take breaks multiple times for work that I used to just do without any issues. I'm only 31 and my wrists are fucked. Don't end up like me.

I should add that it isn't just keyboards: Game controllers contributed as well. I have what they call "nintendo thumb" as well due to years of gaming on them. My right thumb is larger than the left one and the lower joint of it pops constantly. Holding certain controllers will cause similar issues for me as power tools but not to the same extent. My right hand will go numb sometimes with an Xbox controller if I play for too long in a session. I've moved on to using an arcade stick whenever possible because it doesn't seem to stress my wrists as much. My case is probably more extreme than most because I neglected my general health and lived a NEET life for many years.

I just don't want to see others end up like I did since I chose to ignore the oldfags that told me about this 15-20 years ago and wrote it off as something that wouldn't happen to me. I've seen so many people with the same issue now that I try to warn others about it. Surgery for these problems doesn't really help and I've never known anyone to regain full use of their wrists after having it or developing this condition.

If you're tied to a keyboard as often as I was (12+ hours a day) then investing in a good keyboard is something you want to consider. Don't take my word for it, just switch to a mechanical one for a week or so and see where you are. You won't go back I assure you. Used ones are so cheap there is no excuse for not trying one out. If you like the feel of it get a brand new one and treat yourself.

No one cares, you reap what you sow, manchild gamer.

I quit playing in 2003 or 2004 and only recently came back four years ago because people are playing SF3 locally again. My injuries were primarily caused by doing actual work with power tools and typing for a living. Laugh now cause you won't be laughing when you get it too.

I only advocate mechanical keyboards because you don't bottom out the keys on every stroke with them. You don't notice if all you've used are shitty bottom of the barrel keyboards but once you switch it's obvious. I only have to depress a key about half way on my current keyboard to get input. The arcade stick I built is similar, I modified sanwa buttons with cherry switches so I wouldn't have to bottom them out. When you're young you think you're invincible but somewhere in your 20s everything you did starts catching up and you fucking hurt, pop, and start learning to live with daily pain to do simple tasks.

Same here. I don't have any (((sources))) because I have witnessed it ruining the lives of my peers and experienced it myself.
I am not here to sell keyboards. And I am not here to dog whistle how much of a hot IT-pro stud I am. I am just telling you that I can use a mechanical keyboard with blue switches or good scissor switches , as much as I want, without pain, while a membrane keyboard will cause me enough pain to functionally paralyze my hands after a few days of use.

I'm in the same place man.
I used to think the best keyboard ever was pic related.
Now I am on blue keyswitches and a trackball mouse.
I can't FPS that well with it but I barely play anymore, my wrists thank me.

It's crazy how much your body slows down between 25-30.

In the mid 90s I had bad hand pain, so bad that most of the day I could only type with one finger. The FSF hired typists for me part of the day, and part of the day I tolerated the pain. After a few years I found out that this was due to the hard keys of my keyboard. I switched to a keyboard with lighter key pressure and the problem mostly went away.

My problem was not carpal tunnel syndrome: I avoid that by keeping my wrists pretty straight as I type. There are several kinds of hand pain that can be caused by repetitive stress; don't assume you have the one you heard of.

>>>/reddit/

fuck this gay earth

That claim is fucking horseshit. You're not too old for it unless you literally can't move from joint pain.

a 35 year old man doesn't have the reaction time of a 14 year old kid

Just buy anything cheap.

Just wait.
I can't pixel hunt like I used to, I don't have the same reaction times.
Go to a lan with older and younger dudes sometime, the scoreboard will follow age.

Reaction time can be over come with experience but you're right it does decline. I can still play fighters with young people but I have adjusted due to my reactions. I do the same thing with FPS games. You have to learn to hold out more bait and play mind games.

Where's the best place that provides shipping anywhere to get keycaps from? logitech's keyboards have the thinnest and crappiest keycaps I've ever used, while having shit legends on the keycaps as well.

Kinesis QD, but it's expensive.

Dvorak is a meme (and it's not DVORAK, you faggot).

You know what would have helped you? Lifting some fucking weights. I also have ergonomic shit and wristpads, but ultimately it's your own sedentary lifestyle that did you in.

>yfw i still use a membrane PS2 keyboard
Am poordag but saving money for mechanical.

Filco Ninja, just works and feels good

lol those letters have Reddit spacing.

Pics of keyboard, faggot. Also give more details and store link while you're at it you colossal cock gargler.

what also helps is sleep and taking breaks.

now that's funny

lel

nice labelling, indeed

Oh sorry about. I guess I should just learn to trust random image board users who totally aren't trying to sell me shit over actual empirical data.

Let's say I would have linked an article about the relationship between RSI and typing from a medical textbook or journal. You would have found something wrong with it. You would have dismissed it just like you dismiss our warnings. You would have found a reason to keep doing what you are doing, because you are right and everybody else is wrong.

I really like the unicomp keyboards. They have good action and are DURABLE. They are loud and large. Even better, find the original model.. the modern unicomps are nice but I don't think they are quite as nice as the originals. Maybe that's just maudlin talking.

I have an easier time touch typing with these keyboards. I feel like a better typist on the unicomp. My hands seem to go where they are supposed to more naturally. The design goes back .. what, thirty some years? Tried and true, to be sure.

Goes nicely with a large trackball.

OP here. The reason I called this thread keyboard autism is because the world of keyboards seems really autistic to me, or I am the autistic one. I just can't find a keyboard that fits even half of my criteria. So many mechanical keyboards are gamer shit will LEDs up the ass.

I have found pic related, a low-profile keyboard form a Chinese manufacturer: the Havit KB395L, seems like that comes the closes to what I am looking for. It uses Kailh switches instead of Cherry ones. Does anyone have experience with these Chinese brands? In my country the only place to buy one is from a Chinese Amazon Marketplace dealer, which feels weird to me.

It's extremely autistic, probably approaching the level of audio but with less depth to the subject

but anyways

Code keyboard is a pretty ideal no-nonsense keyboard, about the size of the classic dell keyboard, but its not that cheap.

I prefer the model m, but its absurdly fucking loud and kinda heavy, but I picked it up for like $30 on ebay and another $5 for the ps2 to usb adapter.

you aren't really going to find thin mech keyboards, because whaddya know, the switches need space and there's only like 2 major brands to go by, but I'm not sure you should actually care;

you really don't move your keyboard around that much, and they're not going to ever approach a height where it'll start blocking your hands or some nonsense. width and length is really the only things that really matter, and thats a function of key-count.

Worrying about thinness is for laptops