White racism linked to fatal heart disease for blacks and whites

Living in unabashedly racist communities can shorten the lives of both blacks and whites, according to new research from UC Berkeley.

Researchers compared the racial biases of nearly 1.4 million people nationwide to death rates in more than 1,700 U.S. counties. Their findings suggest that blacks and, to a lesser degree, whites who reside in overtly racist communities are more prone to dying from heart disease and other circulatory diseases.

“This suggests that living in a racially hostile environment might be detrimental to both the group targeted by this bias, in this case blacks, as well as the group that harbors the bias, in this case whites,” said study lead author Jordan Leitner, a postdoctoral fellow in psychology at UC Berkeley. The findings were just published in the online edition of the journal Psychological Science.

Researchers also found a racial gap in perceived access to affordable health care. The study found that blacks living in more bigoted communities reported having less access to affordable health care. Meanwhile, whites reported relatively high access to affordable health care, regardless of the racial bias of their community.

The study controlled for age, education, income, population, rural versus urban and other factors that might influence health.

While previous studies have connected perceived discrimination to negative health outcomes, this is the first to take large data sets, which were not previously available, and measure relationships between whites’ racial bias and the health of whites and blacks in their community, Leitner said.

To conduct the study, researchers compared death rates from circulatory diseases from 2003 to 2013 – collected by the Centers for Disease Control – with racial bias data that came from Project Implicit, a website that provides tests to measure explicit and implicit biases related to gender, religion and race.

Explicit bias refers to more conscious biases while implicit bias reflects more nuanced automatic biases. These measures are widely used in social science research.

To assess implicit racial bias, study participants viewed a series of faces on a computer screen and pressed certain keys to categorize the faces as black or white. Next, they viewed a series of positive and negative words such as “nasty,” “agony,” “joy,” and “peace,” and used keys to categorize these words as “good” or “bad”.

The same key was sometimes used to identify a black or white face, and to identify a positive or negative attribute. Participants who were faster at hitting the key associated with, say, a black face and with a negative attribute scored higher in implicit bias because they were quicker to make the association between black people and negative attributes.

To measure overt racial attitudes, participants rated on a scale of zero to 10 the warmth of their feelings about whites and blacks. Overt racism was defined as greater warmth towards whites, as compared to blacks.

Although the data depend on self-reported feelings about race, the sheer volume of responses (nearly 1.4 million) offers insight into the racial attitudes of a community, Leitner said.

HeartHealth300Analysis of the data showed that counties with higher rates of heart-disease-related deaths were consistently on a par with those in which people reported higher levels of racial bias, and that blacks were most negatively impacted by this trend.

“We found that whites’ explicit bias was more powerful than their implicit bias at predicting negative health outcomes for blacks,” Leitner said.

As for the link between whites’ explicit racial bias and death rates, Leitner said, a recent study from the University of Pennsylvania suggests that whites in highly biased communities are less likely to trust and bond with others in their community, and this lack of social connectedness may have negative health implications.

Circulatory disorders, which include heart attacks, angina and coronary heart disease, are the leading cause of death in the United States. While the study cannot make a causal link between racism and circulatory disease deaths, researchers speculate that the environmental stress of racial hostility combined with discrimination in health care may create or exacerbate circulatory problems for blacks.

news.berkeley.edu/2016/09/06/racism-heart-health/

Other urls found in this thread:

express.co.uk/news/uk/611992/Scientists-experiment-magnets-immigrants-God-magnetic-waves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseto_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Checked.
And, no shit. Mixing together lowers trust and increases stress.

This is not a fault of racism.

Conversely, I'd bet 10bux that in more "multi culture" areas sucidides rates are higher because people suppress their natural urge.

The racists wouldn't be stressed if they could just remove the shitskins.

It's fucking nothing. Just kike propaganda to distract from Jews that sell pre-rolled poison to poor people and screw over your local farmer.

I`m sure that Berkeley can be trusted to do science.

So a liberal university is using the classic correlation = causation bullshit

Yeah, it's a stupid article. I posted it more for the lulz value than the content.

The article also explicitly mentions that the Confederate Flag is a symbol associated with racism.

Well goy, you're I'm luck! We just so happen to have a cure for racism! express.co.uk/news/uk/611992/Scientists-experiment-magnets-immigrants-God-magnetic-waves

(he actually implied just the opposite fam)

sage because weak thread (not for OP, but because it's just literally-nothing tier propaganda)

Sounds like scientific basis for the creation of a single race nation

Correlation=/=causation

The places in which "racism" is the most overt will likely be the poorest areas as the poor have less to lose if they do not comply with politically correct orthodoxy. The poor also tend to be unhealthy for a number of reasons.

What a dumb study. This was only published due to the headlines which would follow.

More like living around niggers makes them have heart disease, not their "racism"

You know, as much as we bitch about the left saying this, correlation does not equal causation

This time the phrase is actually appropriate.

Probably the fried food, just sayin. It's good and all, but not all of the time guys. Also cooking vegetables in a salt bath and hamhocks…

Ive worked in restaurants my whole life, niggers are some of the least health concious people on this planet, it's like they think the do's and don'ts of eating unhealthy don't apply to them.

yup.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseto_effect

This sounds fucking amazing tbh
t. yuropoor

Yeah, speaking of bias, that's a mighty BIASED way to phrase it. Hello there, fnord.

sage

Ingroup preference is racism!

I have no REEEEEEE

I can think of at least one simple solution, and nobody even needs to get hurt. it's deportation

So, wrongthink can give niggers heart attacks?

Watch some faggot numale say this.

….increased stress from knurd reality. Who would have thought?

If not, the CIA can. Why did you sage?

It's State Fair Food people post it to try and prove Americans are fat(we are but that's not the point) it is just a gimmick food like 90% of State Fair food. It isn't really that common.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FRY A DRINK?

I love Americans, I don't care what you guys think

Find better content to post here, faggot.

SAGE

FREEDOM, THAT'S HOW

Does this mean that if I'm racist enough, I can kill niggers just with my hate?

I think they fry the syrup.

Anyway, the South is pretty bad in terms of diet, especially among poorfags. Most middle and upper middle class people have some concern for health, but even then you see plenty of fatties there too.

I blame Sweet Tea, Coke, Fried Food, and Southern seasoning (read salt and pork or fat).

t. GAfag.

You can rape women with your eyes already, lynching niggers with your mind is logically the next step for our evolution super aryans.

lmao kikes are getting desperate

The solution is to remove the reason for anger.

Would be interesting to see if the French paradox goes away.

How do magnets work fucking miracles?

kek

We just dont give a shit.

sage