Windows phone dead,id M$ the next IBM?

With the end of Windows on phones, how does Microsoft avoid being the next IBM?
The company forgets the importance of the consumer space at its peril

Last week, Microsoft also announced that it was getting out of the music business, signaling another small retreat from the consumer space. It's tempting to shrug and dismiss each of these instances, pointing to Microsoft's continued enterprise strength as evidence that the company's position remains strong.

And certainly, sticking to the enterprise space is a thing that Microsoft could do. Become the next IBM: a stable, dull, multibillion dollar business. But IBM probably doesn't want to be IBM right now—it has had five straight years of falling revenue amid declining relevance of its legacy businesses—and Microsoft probably shouldn't want to be the next IBM, either

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/with-the-end-of-windows-on-phones-how-does-microsoft-avoid-being-the-next-ibm/?comments=1

Other urls found in this thread:

eweek.com/development/ibm-focused-on-3-major-languages-java-node.js-and-swift
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who?

The worst of the Microshit shills around.

In all seriousness, both Microsoft and Apple face the danger of being made irrelevant by Google in the future.
Their stronghold is their OS, but Microsoft killed Windows, even among normalfags, with the W10 mega fiasco, and Apple started a revival due to the iPod/iPhone boom, which also made their Macs hip again, but it seems that that now vanished and Apple started a reversal to irrelevance again.

Google has a monopoly on internet services already, and now with their taking over of Android throughout the years, on software. It seems that Google is posed to take it all for it.

Already Apple and Microsoft are on their way out to be superseded by the likes of Google and Amazon. Apple is losing their niche, and normalfags are using computers less and less. What does Windows survive on other than Microsoft Office and GAYMZ? Sad to say that things are worse than I could have ever imaged. Windows might be botnet, but Android without a custom rom is botnet that follows your every step, and every word, and every little bit of information you give them gets absorbed by other google 'services'. Even if it's due to incompetence on their part google makes companies like Apple and Microsoft look ethical by comparison. It's scary.

That's not necessarily true at all though. Yes there are note smartphones on the internet than PCs but that's irrelevant in this case because phones have always outsold computers and smartphone OS' are far from general purpose (Android tries to be but I wouldn't put it in any kind of content creation categories unless you consider Vblogs and selfies content creation)

Regardless, PCs are making a massive rebound do to ultrabooks and gaymen laptops rising in popularity. The PC market is expected to be growing again by 2018. Even still it would take decades or possibly longer for Microsoft to lose its dominance in this sector. As big a failure as Windows 10 is considered it's market share is still many times that of Mac OS and GNU

I see no problem with this future.

That will die too. Smartphones are just more easy to use than carrying around even a small ultrabook.

I hope not.
eweek.com/development/ibm-focused-on-3-major-languages-java-node.js-and-swift

You're delusional, user. Normalfags ate W10 up faster than ever and don't give a single shit about telemetry. It was a huge success and showed Microsoft can now force people to upgrade. They're a contender again, so much so that Apple basically gave up on OS X.

They've been dead since like 2006. Only gaymurzz and pajeets still care about them anymore.

I know a few old normies that got pissed off from the forced upgrade and asked to switch to linux. But yeah, overall most people went with it.

I don't even know what Active Directory and Exchange are fundamentally but everyone uses them and I don't know how to replace them. Microsoft can abandon the consumer market all together and still reign supreme because of those things and retarded execs who think 'proprietary' means 'good'.

You got it all wrong, user. It's proprietary equals commercial (i.e. good for enterprise), open source is bad because it's non-commercial and anyone can see its source and hack it.
Or alternatively, Windows is open source because you can ask Microsoft to see the source code, and Free Software is freeware.

Problem is, money, features, availability, and support will go to what mindless herds of consumers use. Hence the year of the Loonix desktop meme to try to increase adoption (with the side effect of incorporating botnet, sacrificing what made it preferable in the first place, and alienating its original userbase, a la Mozilla).

gee it's almost like running your company with practices that basically amount to a giant middle finger to your paying customers isn't very successful

Google's BBC is fucking microshaft's marketshare up the ass with the android.

they should have released windows 9, i heard it was the best one yet

Windows is becoming more of a pain to deal with for enterprise people. Everyone who isn't using it already is switching to linux. Once universities begin moving away from microsoft office, its all over for them.

One can only hope so OP. One can only hope. Another positive note, if they do follow in IBM's footsteps, at least they won't have mainframes to fall back on. Hopefully in a few years we'll all be "Literally Who?" tbh.

Yeah, I'm glad one evil is replaced by a far bigger one that has public approval.

friendly reminder IBM fully invested in Linux. This "oh its another IBM" talk is fucking bizarre because of this context.