Your HDD as an accidental microphone

hackaday.com/2017/10/08/your-hard-disk-as-an-accidental-microphone/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ntw32kYDryM
malwaretech.com/2015/04/hard-disk-firmware-hacking-part-1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a magnetic tape disc, and just like the fucking ceramics of 7000 years ago, which were made by rotation, they capture sound.
That's obvious.

Everything captures sound, yet this experiment also demonstrates that the resonating sound causes the disc to be unreadable and eventually the OS disconnects it.

I want to see quality of the recordings.

I would too. The waveform didn't look like it gave much information away. It's still pretty interesting.

Glow in the dark agencies have probably known about this for decades.

true

(((You))) probably use this to identify hard drives which have had all identification removed from them. Simple solution is replace the platter head when you remove identification from a drive. Well maybe not that simple.

is ssd confirmed now for less cia niggers than hdd?

Hell no. SSD's by default have the "S.M.A.R.T" backdoors. Along with the firmware backdoors if you have access to the pci-e space to flash it. Atleast with older HDD's you can avoid such things.

Ramdisk is what you want.
- io speed faster than SSD
- data destruction more reliable than HDD

S.M.A.R.T. is as old as SATA. What da fuk HDD do you use that doesn't have this?

PDF slides mention something about using this in remote cloud environment, but data centers have so much noise, staff is forced to wear ear protection. Good luck recording anything useful there.

SSD's come with proprietary firmware running on low power CPUs that handle all the trickery it takes to fool windows into using the disc. The filesystem you choose to run in software on your OS is imitated on the drive, but the firmware uses a different drive-dependent filesystem that can access over provisioned areas as well as the cache. FOSS SSDs are made by that one company in Worst Korea and are expensive, but modular. HDD can be less CIA, but it usually doesn't matter since storage isn't the biggest attack surface.

lol

The noise doesn't matter. It's better to use this as a method of getting a certain oscilation of noise to identify the drive like a UUID. As a malware vector or spying vector it's implausable without much effort.
But this is easly gotten around by changing the drive physically after you purchase it like a single platter being replaced.

judging by video youtube.com/watch?v=ntw32kYDryM , it's enough to block sound by hand to change response time, so it's not very useful for reliable identification. Still a data-point though, I guess.

I am not familiar with nitty-gritty details, how do syscalls work over the network?
Will secure NAS with massive raid and lots of caching placed in soundproof room save me?

No I was thinking if someone got physical access you could sound test it for unique identification. Kinda like n-s-yayyy-kun admited here . But something to track hard drives with identification removed as mentioned here

You're safe from network attack using your hardrive to listen to you for now?

malwaretech.com/2015/04/hard-disk-firmware-hacking-part-1.html

But think of the tracking. What if someone deleted the data on the drive before you could backdoor/get to it and it was unidentifiable. You could sound test it for a UUID from the factory if n-s-yayyy-kun. I have no doubt (((they))) already do such things.

S.M.A.R.T. was even available on many IDE drives. Please tell me you're larping and not using some 800MB drive from the 90's.

You can't just use one btw. You need atleast four or so unless you want to airgap a compromised drive across everytime to access pictures and shit.

user...

(You) don't understand what that picture of why not both meant, did (you)?

at least it isn't as bad as electromagnetic leaks and TEMPEST vulnerabilites

Tempest encompasses shit like this. It's not squarely aimed at unintentional RF transmissions.

youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4
kek'd

ayy lmao

Wasnt this proven to be a load of shit

what did the chans do to me

I remember using one back in the 90's, and it had SMART.

All storage is magnetic you egg

It sounds like bullshit to me but I have no proof and I've seen these 1337 researchers do some really crazy wizardry