Hey Holla Forums, just librebooted a new board. 1GB ram, 1.6GHz intel atom...

Hey Holla Forums, just librebooted a new board. 1GB ram, 1.6GHz intel atom, gonna run a statically compiled distro on it as a desktop. The board was £25, so I have a question - for those complaining about botnet, why aren't you using Libreboot on boards like this? It's an Intel D945GCLF, by the way - but there's a lot of board that support Libreboot that are much more powerful. I also personally have an Asus KGPE-D16 with dual 6200-series opteron (though those fetch for about £300-400) and two X200 laptops.

Other urls found in this thread:

sta.li/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Even my router runs entirely Free Software. Why are you cucks always complaining about botnet, just fucking sort it out

wut

Because Holla Forums is full of cucks playing vidya

> muh gpu, muh (((ryzen)))

What wut?

I would guess only maybe 1 in 10 Holla Forums users actually use something that isn't windows, ballpark figure

Kubuntu user reportan in, the 1 in 10 figure is probably accurate and can also be extended to other Holla Forums related things like programming. Most people are just here to stalmanpost or shitpost about tech.

You know I had no idea this board existed thanks bro.
Now I know I should just RTFM on libreboot's site but the only equipment you need is a microcontroller and a few jumpers from that to the flash eeprom correct?

sta.li/faq
:P

You will need:
A 3v3 supply
a microcontroller (BBB, raspi etc) to flash the chip
(Preferably, unless you like soldering and desoldering) a Pomona (or equivalent) clip for attaching to the chip

I've literally never seen a single ryzen thread.

Then you don't lurk enough

I hear they are trying to get the X220 librebooted, if they could find a way to get newer boards that support i7 . If the IOMMU groups were good as well then it would be the perfect Holla Forums machine because then you can play vidya with passthrough and be secure on a hardware level.

Excuse me, we only play Nethack, Minetest and M-x tetris here

...and Dwarf Fortress and Sauerbraten.

Dwarf Fortress is proprietary software.

I would LOVE if they actually Librebooted the X220 or some newer boards. My dream laptop (tfw it'll never happen) would be a modern Thinkpad or HP/Dell Business lappy, with a quad-core, like the T470p, Zbook 15, or whatever Dell's equivalent would be.

Unlikely it'll happen soon, if ever. Why do you need such a powerful laptop? I've been using X200 for four to five years now and it's been more than fine.

Buy a Windows desktop if you want to play video games.

tbh i would be happy with the 2570p or latitude 6430

Battery life is also a thing.
The x200 isnt exactly the best one in those terms.

Honestly, I probably could do just fine with a less powerful system. My reasons for wanting more are pretty autistic:
I imagine a less powerful system would feel slower and like a downgrade. Although using GNU/Linux as a daily system would help.
My current machine can handle all of that no problem, but idk if an older one could. I do really want to check out that KVM+QEMU emulation. Now given that this would be a libre system, I would probably be playing FOSS games. Would that X200 be able to play stuff like OpenMW, or the bajillion libre Quake clones?

With a CPU that's very likely to contain backdoors? I think you forgot "more" before "secure".

If you could get an i7 that has vt-d and is librebooted you would be able to convert many people like myself who have a desktop that uses Linux + GPU passthrough to have fully secure hardware while also being able to play modern vidya through the GPU passthrough. You would not only have your cake but eat is a well with the only limitations being how good you are with the Linux operating environment. Then you would actually have year of the linux desktop because everyone will just run a VM for video games.

more secure-

Unlikely. Passthrough isn't the same, and normalfags wouldn't get it.

Fedora 26 has made it easier then ever with it only taking 30 minutes including Windows install. Other distros are catching up and its only going to get easier from here on out. Normalfags wont touch it for a long time but getting everyone who is even slightly tech literate to do this will be a huge win in the long term.

Well you can already Coreboot the 2570p, with a neutralized ME. It wouldn't be Libreboot, but it would be the next best thing.

Really? I hadn't heard anything about this. That's good to know.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand passthrough. /meme

On an unrelated note, Has Fedora officially moved to wayland yet? I seem to remember them saying they'd start doing it for their GNOME version with Fedora 25, then they delayed it or something.

Because wiggers with no work ethic can do nothing *but* whine on imageboards all day.

The battery life is pretty bad with an old battery (maybe one and a half hours), but you can buy a replacement battery on eBay for maybe £40 and get around 3 hours.

It definitely runs Quake, and will most likely run OpenMW since Morrowind is, after all, a game from 2002

3 hours was a typo. I meant 5.

Get this guy a fucking puppers

Good to know about the good performance on libre vidya games. The internal battery on my current laptop is pretty shit, so if it's 5 hours, that's pretty nice.

I use both tbh
Win8.1 with calssic shell for gaymen and currently Mint 18.1 on my dedicated Linux machine

After I stop begin a lazy cunt and backup the files on my linux box I'm gonna test out some easy looking Devuan distros and either stick with one or go back to Mint17.3 for a while til Devuan gets better

Where did you get your opteron 6200s? I never see them on ebay. Just 6300s but they have the bitcode issues.

eBay.

Fedora uses Wayland
it's pretty sweet, smooth performance and no screen tearing

They don't even let you bring your own router, or set theirs up as a gateway so you can route with yours.

Update - it runs Plan 9

that makes no sense whatsoever.

That's just a side effect of not using nvidia

does it run anything from the Genode framework?

Hello friend. I use Devuan on a netbook, about the same hardware as OP's. Works well, except my glxgears is 30 fps. Tried to run retroarch and the wave animation in the XMB lags like hell. Researched intel driver stuff, but gave up. Works fine for browsing, video, and audio.

Also happen to use Mint 17.3 on my desktop.

bump

No thanks