Janus - Fascist Prog Rock

Casual listeners hastily assume Prog Rock is an apolitical genre (of course, the more informed listener knows better) but Italy's own Progressive scene thought different. Some of the prominent bands from the more avant-garde wing of their Progressive music scene strongly affiliated with the communist Rock in Opposition movement, most famously Area and the Stormy Six, but others on the furthest fringes of the genre sang from entirely different hymn sheet. You know, Fascism.

Janus, formerly Janum, were affiliated to the Neo-Fascist MSI party, regularly playing live at their amusingly-named "Hobbit Camps," named after the musician fellowship's shared interest in Tolkien. The band's history is somewhat turbulent. Most of the original copies of their album were destroyed in a fire at the only bookstore bold enough to sell their work. Their original guitarist was even killed in a political riot the year this album was released.

Recorded on a low budget, Al Maestrale sounds a little crummy in terms of production so doesn't come close to matching the Mussolinian bombast of Museo Rosenbach's Nietzschean masterwork Zarathustra. But the rawness of this recording is certainly a nice antidote to the slew of self-consciously 'pretty' bands who had sprung up in the scene. There are notably few symphonic influences, opting instead for a folk-tinged fuzzy hard rock style, not a world away from the early Black Widow. And some of the guitar playing on here is very mean indeed!

When it feels like there are few genuine obscurities in Prog left, it's nice to have something like this still out there, and the political affiliations gives this band a dangerous edge a lot of Prog admittedly lacks.

Copies of this album floating around online have it ripped at the wrong speed, which is why the instruments sound slightly higher in pitch than ideal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QhaX-DusCXY
rateyourmusic.com/list/HorseMouth/albums_that_are_inferior_to_tarkus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This must be some good shit. The first track reminds me a lot of my funk-classic rock preferences I used to love a few years ago. Thanks for the recommendation m8.

OP confirmed non gay.

You're the same guy who posts right wing music threads on KC, aren't you?

LOL. Half of it's about Vikings, Crusaders, and similarly manly Europeans. How could it possibly be mistaken as "apolitical"?

For a moment, I thought that title said "Janus - Fascist FROG Rock"

Gee, how could you tell? Is my writing style a dead giveaway?

You know, that would be a great name for French Prog Rock.

Those are common literary themes across genres of music which needn't necessarily be right-wing or left-wing.

In this case, the Fascist sympathies are quite explicit.

OK, so you got a band, we get it. Now fuck off, please.

I wish I was in Janus.

They're not my band, sadly.

Again this is spun at the wrong speed, but this is similar fascinating.

NICE

My favorite cover of Janus.

For those unaware, the song is about Robert Brasillach. He was an intellectual who openly held Fascist sympathies in Vichy France expressed in the newspaper Je suis partout which he edited. Infamously, he was executed by the state for his role as editor, which included publishing the names and addresses of various Jews and members of La Resistance. He later spent his time promoting collaboration and German victory, and also called for the execution of political opponents in his paper. His execution is controversial because his crimes, rather than militaristic or political, were intellectual, raising serious questions about the role of speech in wartime and the degree which one could be held culpable for the content of one's words.

On one hand, he called for the execution/deportation of thousands of people. He wasn't a passive agent who merely spoke his mind. He backed up his calls for execution by literally doxxing the Jews and dissenters during that time. On the other hand, other collaborators guilty of similar crimes were given meager sentences while he faced the highest possible penalty.

KC is floooded with leftist retards now, I stopped using that site years ago

it is pretty good

Do you think one day this could apply to "meme magicians" ?

Having a subversive, right-wing prog band is my #1 dream. Anyone here good at bass?

I really do cry evrytim. Fucking frogs.

you confirmed nigger

This is some pretty groovy fascist rock though all jokes aside. Whats your take on hatecore music? Hardcore punk mixed with nazi views.
youtube.com/watch?v=QhaX-DusCXY

Great find, OP. Prog rock is the definitive music of the modern white man.
It's nice to see something like this. Grazie, Italia.

I'm always looking for good music. Thanks m8. OP was not a faggot today

are you sure this isn't just 70's vietnam rock

Don't you mean Racist Frog Rock?

Ah, I've listened to this band before, during my prog phase. Enjoyed it well enough, but didn't know where they were politically. I usually just assume the worst with musicians.

Neo-folk welcome in here?

Wasn't MSI Alessandra Mussolini's party?

This is great. Thanks OP

Did someone say neofolk?

Same I'm mildly disappointed.

My taste for this niche knows no bounds, so I can spend hours talking about my favorites, Punk, Metal and everything else.

I want to keep this thread more focused on Janus and the bands influenced by them. Enjoy a cover of "Al Maestrale" by progressive folk band Terre di Mezzo. The arrangements sound lovely.

Speaking of Janus covers, enjoy Antica Tradizione's arrangement of Pescatore di Sogni's A-Side. It's a bit cheesy, but pleasant all the same.

I got into prog rock after listening some King Crimson.
What are their political views?

Thanks OP this is great

bump

You're very welcome.

You might enjoy this.

He was the Assange of his time. Maybe Assange gets killed soon too.

Here's the original. It has its own charm, but I prefer the cover by Hobbit. One of the few times I prefer a cover to the original.

BIG fan of prog here.

I see progressive rock movement in late 60's as part of CIA/MI6 sponsored counterculture, which promoted drug use, certain liberal agendas etc.

But today I see it as a brightest beacon of music, combining classical music with it's elements and popular music. It has trully become ultimate white's man music.

I can see this shit happening.
Fug.

prog rock is a bit different than psychedelic tbh

Is this group fashy?

The vast majority of prog rock isn't Fascist. In fact, all the major prog bands were anti-fash with Janus as a distinct exception.

Here's a side-project of Janus's chief madman Mario Ladich along with fellow musicians Olivier Carré and Jack Marchal. If you can imagine Janus as Fascism's answer to King Crimson, think of the Carré.Ladich.Marchal collaboration as Fascism's answer to Pink Floyd.

They even have a minimal synth song to boot.

So King Crimson is antifascist?
Didn't really know that.

Not necessarily anti-fash, but the vast majority of them are left-leaning if not apolitical.

Keep in mind Pink Floyd's The Wall was intended to warn audiences of the dangers from a Fascist takeover.

That is, the majority of prog rock musicians are either apolitical or left-leaning.

I don't have a clue as to King Crimson's politics, but I don't think the band was ever overtly political.

Pink Floyd has been famous for being pinkos.
Everyone knows that.

I've never seen Fripp, openly discuss politics, but he's a baby boomer-aged bong, so you can probably guess.

Still one of my favorite bands, and a way better and much less preachy alternative to Pink Floyd.

Yes. You write of rough right wing music like a sommelier speaks of a fine wine, it's amusing.

Given that kaycee is filled with leftists, degenerates and neets who don't know what's up I always wondered about your motivation for making those.

We should answer back to this

Leave that dreck to the hipsters.

You just need to find the right posters. Enough of kc is quite right-wing. It just depends on the time and day.

The board even had a few resident followers of Spengler.

My nigger.

Dank shit OP.

Not OP, but you can do alot better than BED. Go to youtube and look up:

Brainwash - Time To Act
Teardown - Against The Dying Light
H8MACHINE - Wrecking Ball
Anger Within - Still No Light
Bound For Glory - Iron Eagle Flies Again

Does Procol Harum's "Poor Mohammed" count as anti-Islamic prog? The last verse is pretty interesting:

"Put Mohammed in the cellar
Keep him there 'til half past ten
Ties some bacon to his beard
Let the rats out on him there"

There's the legendary Kontingent 88 and their song "Mohamed"
Il s'appele Mohamed
Il est inscrit au chômage
Il arrive du Maghreb
Couscous et Djellaba
Il a ramené sa famille,
Toutes ses femmes et ses enfants
Il ne parle que le Kabyle
Et ne lit que le Coran

Mohamed, mouche à merde
Nous ne voulons pas de toi
Mohamed, mouche à merde
On va te ramener chez toi

Il joue l'incruste partout
Pour pouvoir être embauché
Il ne sait rien faire du tout
Et il passe sont temps à glander
Harlem Désir est ton Dieu
Parce qu’il te donne tous les droits
Il te protège, te rend heureux
Et te laisse vivre chez moi

Mohamed, mouche à merde
Mohamed, mouche à merde

Nous l’avons croisé un soir
Dans une rue qui était noire,
On a voulu l’éduquer,
Mais nous l’avons crucifié,
Nous nous ne sommes pas inquiété,
De toute façon il n’y avait pas le choix
Dans son sang on l’a laissé
Il n’avait rien a faire chez moi

Mohamed, mouche à merde
Mohamed, mouche à merde
Mohamed, mouche à merde
Ce soir tu vas souffrir
Mohamed, mouche à merde
Ce soir tu vas mourir

Translated:
His name is Mohamed
he is on welfare
he comes from Maghreb
Couscous and djellabah
he brought his whole family
all of his wives and his kids
he only speaks Arabic
and only reads the Quran

Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
we don't want you here
Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
we're going to send you home

he makes a fuss everywhere
to avoid being employed
he doesn't know how to do anything
and spends his time bitching
by the will of mighty God
he gave you all your rights
he protects and makes you happy
and lets you live at my house

he met him one night
in a dark street
we wanted to educate him
but we ended up crucifying him
but we aren't worried
in any case he wasn't cold
we left him in his own blood
he has no reason to be here

Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
we don't want you here
Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
we're going to send you home

Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
Tonight, you're gonna suffer
Mohamed FLY ON SHIT
Tonight, you're gonna die

no are you one of those autists who can only appriciate things because they are hitler larping? keith emerson injected european classical forms into rock music

You might get a kick out of this, folks:
rateyourmusic.com/list/HorseMouth/albums_that_are_inferior_to_tarkus/

this is actually pretty good. I expected it to be shit

+1