Lazy rehash of every disney movie and trope ever made with flat one-dimensional characters

I just can't with modern media anymore anons…

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māui_(Māori_mythology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The aren't white so it's fresh and brave you misogynistic womanhating white sic scum.

Moana takes a huge backseat to Maui yet she's treated as this real amazing character that accomplished so much. It's pathetic.

I just can't get over how rehashed her character is. Literally not a single shred of originality. They were making fun of this cliche back in the late 90s already. But hey, she's not white so it's brave and bald.

Pretty much. She's nothing new and completely pointless. Could've just been a story of Maui learning that his actions had unforeseen consequences or something. Instead it's just another bland "I want more out of life" rehash with sprinkles of good ideas.

He's basically just a genie rehash too

Jesus Christ

I always enjoy when they justify burying traditional animation by saying how you can "do more" with 3D and then proceed to have all their movies looks absolutely identical.

Don't forget a fatter nose.

Any link?
I wanted to watch it out of curiosity.

I can't stand those fucking smug expressions.

To be fair, It doesn't have to be original or new to make a good product.

I like how the movie and ads tried to present her as "not like the other princesses" because she doesn't wear frilly dresses or is a damsel when she had the same ambition as most of them

She did pretty much the same amount of heavy lifting as most of them. Which is very little.

I think the problem is that the writers needed to have a "spunky" female protag for brownie points representation, but they had to give her a place in the story despite her being completely outclassed by everyone else. They should've either reduced Maui's screentime by alot and did something like the Odyssey, or reduced/cut out Moana and did another Wreck-It Ralph like said.

Either way, making a demigod like Maui a sidekick was a pretty big mistake. Even though there's plenty of "ultimately it was she that did X" moments, someone else was carrying her half the time. It's a shame because the writers did a great job setting her up as a competent person that could fix houses and teach herself how to sail.

Moana could have been original if the writers didn't play it so fucking safe. If she's a chief's daughter that likes to get her hands dirty and has an independent spirit and blahblahblah, build on that. Give her more scenes like the one where she nearly gets her pig killed learning how to sail; all that identity bullshit is nothing compared to that.

Isn't every one of their movies (except Wreck it Ralph) a rehash of every fantasy Disney movie lately? These idiots have no talent anymore and are relying on past formulas with liberal twists because they're too scared to write a good or original story with characters who aren't just blatantly bad copies of previous ones. I wish I could say Disney going under would make me happy, but chances of that are next to impossible at this point…

Yep. At least have it be well written and nice to look at.

you mean like they keep doing princess movies? I don't mind a princess movie as long as its good. Though this one could've been a bit better. Still better than Frozen though.

They are making products to sell, not to push boundaries.

Apparently the kids like it.

How did frozen get popular? It's so fucking boring nothing happens, and you can call the twist a mile away.

Women and girls alike self-inserted as Elsa.

There was a nice blend of both with traditional animation. Not with 3D.

tumblr corwd.

er, it kinda does

I just saw the movie last night.
It was okay but just okay, it wasn't horribly bad but it was very dull and the story felt weirdly rushed.
None of the characters really seemed dto go through any kind of development of any kind instead both Maui and later Moana threw tantrums at some point and later got over them, but they were the same as they were at the beginning.
On the other hand I will admit the story did seem similar to many actual stories of mythology were there isn't usually the kind of standard narrative structure you expect but rather just a collection of events that occur, which is exactly what happened here.
I liked Maui's song but the rest were forgettable.

it's called lazy writing

Yes and I'm saying it has that in common with a lot of ancient legends

this is not an ancient legend

No but it's basically styled like one.

it's not stylized like anything, it's a lazily written garbage

Yes but it's meant to be a mythlogical legend sort of story. How do you not get this?

Autism obviously.

But yeah, it's basically a Hero's journey legend.In almost every one, a Human gets assistance from a God/Demigod and fulfills goals through both assistance and their own talents. You see a lot of this in basically every major culture from Roman, Greek, Indian, Polyneasian, Japanese, etc…

But most folk tales of old really didn't really do much in terms of character development. How many people are gonna read the journey of Odysseus/Ulysses and talk about the characterization?

In autists defence, Disney is capable of doing better. Zootopia did better than this.

That's very true. Zootopia has it's faults but damn it actually felt really nice after years of mediocre crap Disney had been shitting out beforehand. Then they went right back to it.

It's not meant to be anything you dumb faggot, how do you not get this?

That that explains it
>>>/reddit/
>>>/autism/

They hit the jackpot with that one. They started production years before identity politics got as bad as it has and their actual real portrayal of prejudice resonated perfectly with society.

Also rabbit had a cute butt.

We get it you don't like the movie and are committed to giving it a credit for anything.
Next it wont even be a movie.

What I hate the most is how blameless she is when she fucks up and then goes singing about herself like shes the shit. MY NAME IS MOANA DINDUNUFFIN!
Fuck you Korra

It was basically "babeh girl's first princess movie" for a lot of little girls this gen and they love it mindlessly despite not even having the mental capacity to understand what the movie is even about. All they know is that there is snow, magic, a princess, a reindeer and a snowman. The rest of the popularity comes from pretentious uppity college shits and high brow social types. I admit, I didn't like this new Hawaii film but I certainly got a bit more enjoyment from it than Frozen simply because of the demigod character. In fact he was the only character in the movie who wasn't outright boring or come off as a rehash.

This.

Well Maui is a legend technically.

Honestly would've liked to see Maui and Tamatoa clash more. Those two seem fun.

This right here is exactly what killed the movie for me. I stared at the ceiling and thought…yeah, why didn't the ocean just fixed everything? From that moment on I saw Moana and Maui being completely unnecessary for the completion of the story.

Also, this fucking mythology.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māui_(Māori_mythology)

lol

Thats hilarious. Wish I could see more of the legends.

lol the maori got mad as fuck about this movie here in nz. says it offends their legendary polynigger.

To be fair, the music was great compared to THAT FUCKING MOVIE FROZEN GODDAMNIT!

Hey Truthseeker

Blameless for what?
What did she do?

Reminds me of how here in Hawaii some polynesians got pissed when Disney made a Maui costume for the Moana movie to sell to children for Halloween so Disney had to stop selling the costume.

I'm starting to think islanders are assholes.

eh some are assholes some are chill. It depends on which ones you meet.

Hawaiians are nice until you mention that you're thinking of moving there.

Well I mean we have a housing shortage and Oahu is overdeveloped. That and cost of living is really high.

That's understandable, I suppose. The fame and beauty of the environs probably attracts disagreeable neighbors.

What utter horseshit. 3D is absolutely Procrustean.

I worked in a pre-school some time in college and something stood out to me. This was before Frozen and Tangled.

I always knew girls liked Disney pricesses, regardless of what stupid bullshit the media tries to spill about the princesses being sexist, but what surprised me is that little girls have the worst taste possible. They absolutely love Snow White, she was every girl favorite princess, there was even this one kid who would cry histerically if she didn't got to dress like Snow White in every birthday party.

I mean, Snow White of all people? She's the blandiest of all princesses and her movie is a shore to watch, it barely have any story at all. I could never understand why it was so popular with little girls.

Even Wreck it Ralph was better. I believe the Disney Princess movies is handled by a different team that follows a strict formula.

I think it may be you that has the shit taste

Why?

Zootopia isn't that bad (although the resolution to the conflict between herd vs predators don't make any sense). The problem are furries coopting it as some sort of furry-pandering shit.

What are you talking about? Frozen's music is awesome! Surprising redpilled too.

It would make sense and be accurate to reality if the conflict were resolved by castrating all the predators.

Nice dress, she's one of the prettiest obv

She may have just enjoyed the movie. My little sister's favorite princess was Sleeping Beauty who was barely in her own movie. I think she enjoyed the plot first and saw the princess a a bonus to the movie. Or maybe she just thought she was pretty.

Snow White was innocent and believed in the best of everybody to the point where her naive mercy killed her.

While certainly not much of a role model with her childlike Christian sensibilities, especially in this day and age, Snow White is likely the princess most children can identify with.

Frankly the blandest princess is Cinderella; work fruitlessly and express no sense of agency and expect life to reward you.

WHY IN OUR LORD NAME'S DO COMPANIES USE THAT SHITTY DREAMWORKS FACE??
CAN'T THEY THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE FOR A CHANGE???

It's the "I'm going to get into trouble!" face kids like.

Well, she is pretty.

Movie is 'okay' if you switch your brain off and bad if you don't.
Maui was the real main character and the story should have been about him.
>This ties into his backstory, where his parents cast him away, leaving him to spend his whole life seeking the love they never gave him, which he overcomes at the arc of his story by performing an act that will leave him unable to do things that will make him famous, or even killing him
>Alternatively he gets to be a martyr, and be loved forever for his heroic sacrifice saving the world
It all fits, with multiple interpretations.

The real problem is Disney is on this
STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER
burn where they don't actually have any idea of what they're doing.

It's all 3D movies too.

>triggered
Did you know that the protagonist of the story isn't always the main character?

It's obvious that this movie was supposed to be about Moana, hell the movie was even named after her.

That may be the case, but Maui stole the show for me. I would be willing to watch a sequel if it was all about Maui's adventures.

After Maui's backstory was revealed I kept expecting it to turn out that the reason Moana was chosen by the ocean was because she was a descendant of Maui's human family and her helping him was penance for what her family did or something, but nope it turns out the ocean just really likes that she helped a turtle.

oy vey goyim

It wasn't just one girl, it was several, which is what got me wondering what's so appealing about Snow White when compared to other disney princesses.

nice fam.

ok

I love Disney's subtle racism with their nigger noses. Then they use ABC to call everyone else racist.

Fuck morrakiu, fucking hypocrite faggot.

I wonder who's behind this post

wait what did Morrakiu do?

Pretty much

cause women i would say moreso then men like to self insert themselves to feel like the pretty, beautiful, princesses they can never be and will always from a young age strive to be. Not to be confused with "impossible standards for women" they just want to feel special

Except for the random tribe of coconut goblins I actually liked this one. Some of the singing got annoying but it's a Disney, you gotta endure some musical numbers.

You're a retard, fam.

Go back to hell.

But more insecure, less funny, and less likable

My real pet peeve with these movies is the fucking sidekick animal/creature that's always there and serves no purpose, from the poster/preview I thought it was going to be that insufferable pig but I guess the retarded chicken was a nice switcheroo. 2/10

No

Gotta sell those stuffed animals.

Would you have preferred they talked in the voice of some celebrity?

Island polynesian niggers aren't actually black flat nosed niggers though. They went full flat nosed dune coon nigger nose.

I thought there was gonna be a twist where the chicken was actually Maui or some sort of important magical entity. But they do absolutely fucking nothing it.

Why do they pretend non-whites are friendly with animals? Both the chicken and the pig would be brutally killed and devoured by them.

Well Polynesians in ancient times at pigs, chickens and dogs. In fact my aunt did some nurse work in Samoa and they have dog farms just to eat them. Then again there's also the stereotype that Fillipinos eat dogs which may or may not have truth to it.

I didn't get that vibe. They give animals sidekicks to everyone because those sell toys.

Elsa is simply sexy as fuck.

GEE I WONDER

I've never seen Frozen, someone please tell me that's an edit.

it is

Unf, yeah. This webm is so satisfying.
SQUEAL YOU LITTLE BITCH SQUEAL

Pocahantas was better.
Hah

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

ok

Unrelated?
Do you have the autisms?

bump

Do you even Joseph Campbell, you dumbfuck?

I want the chinese to leave

trying too hard

I actually liked it, mainly because of Maui and the music. Maui's and Tamatoa's songs are still my favorites.

>>>/reddit/

DUDE DUNK BUZZWORDS LMAO

Sounds like you have autism.

You're Welcome really is the best song on there next to How Far I'll Go. I thought the movie was good, but it needed more Maui and less Moana. He was ultimately the more interesting character and had more potential in the movie to develop even more.

Reported for autism.

1 shekel has been deposited into your account

Come on m8.

Exactly my sentiments. I wanted to see more of Maui's powers in action, I actually wanted the movie to be about him. I couldn't care less about Moana.

Shit, let's use that formula for everything!

"With a title character as three-dimensional as its lush background and a story that adds fresh depth to Scorsese's time-tested formula, Taxi Driver is truly a family-friendly adventure for the ages"

"With a title character as three-dimensional as its lush background and a story that adds fresh depth to Hitler's time-tested formula, Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS is truly a family-friendly adventure for the ages"

"With a title character as three-dimensional as its lush background and a story that adds fresh depth to Ron Atkins' time-tested formula, Schizophreniac: The Whore Mangler is truly a family-friendly adventure for the ages"