Rotting Apple Core

Who the hell is coding for Apple these days? This is atrocious, if they fuck up this badly, and it goes unnoticed before being released live, how much of the more complicated parts did they fail to implement correctly? What the fuck are they doing in that spaceship!?

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evpz7a/turn-off-wi-fi-and-bluetooth-apple-ios-11
youtube.com/watch?v=b4Xl4hPEV80
web.archive.org/web/20170928042906/https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086
support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086
github.com/opensource-apple/xnu/blob/master/bsd/libkern/url_encode.c
support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899
206.223.147.214/tech/res/802748.html
support.apple.com/en-us/HT205267
theregister.co.uk/2015/07/22/os_x_root_hole/
macrumors.com/2017/10/05/uber-removing-apple-granted-api/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko
tidbits.com/article/17532
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

24:7 gay parades. you either set your ass on fire, or your ass is getting fired.

Seriously though, Apple has been going down the shitter for years now. All the good things Apple has left are the stuff they inherited from NeXT.

How do you fuck up this hard?

1) be female

Exactly. I mean sure I can understand how a typo would save the wrong field, but where is the Q&A? GUI testing? Code review? I'm shocked that the dev didn't catch it as soon as it was built to be honest.

Women, Pajeets, and poor management. Jobs was the only guy that could make Apple work as he disciplined those millenial faggots into working as an effective team. He was the strong father they didn't have.

> And it’s a feature, not a bug.
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evpz7a/turn-off-wi-fi-and-bluetooth-apple-ios-11

youtube.com/watch?v=b4Xl4hPEV80
I hate funny or die, and don't watch that silly HBO show, but this does do a good job of highlighting Apple's embarrassing trajectory.

How does this even make it past QA?
Seems like a pretty obvious thing to test.

It's worth mentioning that both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will become active again when you toggle them off in the Control Center at 5 AM local time, according to Apple's documentation. It's unclear why that is, but just so you know.

Q-What? Corporate America has no time for this sorts of things in the current era. Why care about quality, why care about the product at all, when your sole business is marketing shit that nobody wants or needs, anyway? Marketing is all that counts. Everything else only exists because you have to have something to market.

The rot began when Apple abandoned Pascal and went after Ctards. Apple gradually got rid of what made the Mac unique. It kept getting worse from there: OS X, WebKit, XML, Intel Macs, and so on.

Terribly annoying. I cannot stand smart phones, and all the corporate emphasis on them at the expense of good desktop operating systems makes for a bleak future.

The PPC Mac OSX era was quite fine actually, I remember it fondly. The rot really set in when they became a phone company. Of course I can understand how fans of the older Mac OS 9 might feel differently, but I started using Macs when Jaguar came out.

The whole thing sounds like some dumb requirement made by their marketing department. Apple gives a lot of power to their marketing department for how things should work.
>web.archive.org/web/20170928042906/https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086
>support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

Never been a mac fag, but early OSX was pretty cool. They could have realized Next's dream, and brought us a new golden age of Unix workstations. Instead, we got iTunes.

btw, High Sierra is the first version of macOS/OS X where `sudo chmod -x /Applications/iTunes.app` doesn't work anymore. This shit is forced on users 100% now.

Just tried it, worked fine. You are fake news.
drw-r--r--+ 3 root wheel 96 12 Sep 21:33 iTunes.app

What is your system version?
Or did you disable SIP? (probably the case)

10.13 (17A405) latest patch to fix the above idiocy... let me see about SIP.

It's on.
csrutil statusSystem Integrity Protection status: enabled.

Hmmmm, thank you, I probably need to test this fucking shit again. Maybe they finally are allowing this bit of freedom again, lol.

What did you expect? They also do url decoding in the kernel.
github.com/opensource-apple/xnu/blob/master/bsd/libkern/url_encode.c
That's almost as bad as doing scrollbars in the kernel

You mean the chmod command worked right now, or that you somehow disabled the x flag beforehand?

Heh. What response do you get when you try it?

Right now, was not disabled before.

That's bizarre. Did you check to see what sort of things they're calling that for?

$ sudo chmod -x /Applications/iTunes.app
Password:
chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Applications/iTunes.app: Operation not permitted

It's as though sudo isn't working for you. Are logged in as an administrator?

This is strange...

System Integrity Protection includes protection for these parts of the system:
/System
/usr
/bin
/sbin
Apps that are pre-installed with OS X

Paths and apps that third-party apps and installers can continue to write to include:
/Applications
/Library
/usr/local

support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

According to that, the SIP should prevent me from touching iTunes.

Check ACL's
Try 'ls -leO /Applications'
Picture related, 10.11.6

Oh this is interesting... what I CANNOT do is alter Preview.app

Applications ) sudo chmod -x /Applications/Preview.appchmod: Unable to change file mode on /Applications/Preview.app: Operation not permittedApplications ) sudo chmod -x /Applications/iTunes.appApplications ) ls -ale /Applications | grep -EA1 "iTunes|Preview"drwxr-xr-[email protected] 3 root wheel 96 15 Aug 17:43 Preview.app 0: group:everyone deny delete--drw-r--r--+ 3 root wheel 96 12 Sep 21:33 iTunes.app 0: group:everyone deny deleteApplications ) xattr Preview.appcom.apple.rootless

Also try xattr in your iTunes.app

Yes.
Maybe the difference is because I made a clean install, instead of "dirty" upgrading.

[email protected] 3 root wheel restricted 96 Jul 12 21:29 iTunes.app

looks like I am fucked

$ xattr /Applications/iTunes.app
com.apple.rootless

drwxr-xr-[email protected] 3 root wheel restricted 96 Jul 12 21:29 iTunes.app

shit, why is 8ch.net such a garbage

Refresh the page (with javascript enabled). Or evade Cloudflare by using the hidden service or the direct IP address.
206.223.147.214/tech/res/802748.html

Current year IOSX: You don't own your os/computer anymore.

Is there a way to do this with https, or is the way it is currently set up with cloudflare that we can't.
sage for derail

The hidden service doesn't use HTTPS but Tor hidden services do provide encryption and authentication anyway so you don't need it.
Last time I checked the direct IP didn't even let you post, so I wouldn't recommend that.
I guess you could complain to Ron about the Cloudflare settings.

Das it mane. Mystery solved, it is because you did the clean install. Part of the reason I didn't do a clean one, was to see if their files system switch would work seamlessly. Thankfully they used someone smart to work on the HFS+->APFS transition.

You can disable those protections if you wish, but it is increasingly becoming true that users are not in full control of their machines. In many cases though, that's a good thing when it comes to normies installing whatever pops up in their browser.

Linux does SSL in the kernel.

I would rather have russian scids controlling normies computers than google tbh

truly revolutionary

The downward trend of Apple really pisses me off, then when I think about converting to using Linux as a laptop os I'm further demoralized when I realize that I don't even like Linux as a server os (BSD/Solaris/Illumos any day)! Let alone looking forward to a half-buggy user experience with shoddy drivers, crap battery life and half-baked programs that'll end up having far worse bugs than the 'MacOS features'. Hopefully they'll get their act together soon!!!

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It actually is.
No one would think the hint is actually the password.

Post more Apple security fails. This one is real.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT205267

This one is a real beauty that targeted 10.10, and is explained here: theregister.co.uk/2015/07/22/os_x_root_hole/

They could have used Ada, this was the future they chose and deserve.

That's begging the question. Is your code better?

this wasn't even an actual email, did you notice?

if you were a russian citizen then it's the other way round.
it would be naive to think that the only absolute evil is the NSA botnet.

Install SmartOS
We don't say retarded shit like this.
But when we do say retarded shit, it's flame-licked goodness hot off the grill!

t.n-s-yayyyy-kun

Why do you post these stupid questions in thread after thread?

What an idiotic post. Why even ask that stupid question?

This is a good one. Apple have a pretty good system for locking down applications... except when they themselves give "entitlements" to companies like Uber to spy on their users. macrumors.com/2017/10/05/uber-removing-apple-granted-api/

Nope. I'm Russian, and I surely know that for me, being fucked with ФСБ is worse than being fucked with NSA. Because the latter can't do anything to me while I am not visiting USA. And the former can penetrate people asses IRL with glass bottles. Also read about en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko
Maybe your knowledge of the outside world is limited to USA, in that case I recommend you to expand a little bit, in order to not look like a schoolboy in tech threads.

Nope. I'm Russian, and I surely know that for me, being fucked with ФСБ is worse than being fucked with NSA. Because the latter can't do anything to me while I am not visiting USA. And the former can penetrate people asses IRL with glass bottles. Also read about en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko
Maybe your knowledge of the outside world is limited to USA, in that case I recommend you to expand a little bit, in order to not look like a schoolboy in tech threads.>>803398

However yes the NSA is "supposed" be internal "security" only so in theory yes you are right. My country is not important.

With how Trump keeps flirting with gremlin, NSA might just use data they collected in a quid pro quo deal with FSB. I'm sure there are smartasses from US who think that as long as they are using russian services they're out of american alphabet agencies' reach.

Just tested out High Sierra, Apple has now found a way to make their PDF viewer (Preview), which used to be decent, render PDFs in a blurry mess. Why would they mess around with code that worked perfectly well? Currently deciding on whether to roll back to Sierra or just dual boot Linux until this mess is resolved, which will probably never happen, as their focus now is on iOS and it seems like they've put the 'Diversity-Hire' team in charge os MacOS.

Seems like I'm not the only one noticing such amateur coding. The bug in pic related (which I just confirmed) is fucking laughable. You'd think a company with a market cap like Apple's could write better code than an undergraduate computer science student.
tidbits.com/article/17532