Best Linux distro

alright folks, i'm going to install a linux after 5 yearsd of windows only.
last Linux i had was Xubuntu, i don't know how good it is now.

whats the best distro available ?

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/philosophy
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/false.c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Xubuntu

You mean GNU/Linux. The name of the operating system is GNU. Linux is the kernel that is most frequently included with GNU desktop distributions.

arch linux

I've used Debian GNU/Linux for almost ten years now, and I've never been disappointed with it. The package manager is what makes it so great, and it's the reason that they decided to base Ubuntu from it. However, depending on your situation or your computing needs, running something else might be more your game. What exactly do you want out of a Linux-based system? Do you want it on the desktop? Server? A school project?

I recommend you install a new brain so you can stop posting like a retard.

There is no best, there is what is best for your use case. What are you using a computer for? To web browse on a old computer? To play games? To host a file server?
If you are playing games then get arch linux for the best performance. If you are web browsing get denavue. File server means going straight to openbsd.

doesn't Debian comes with Gnome 3 ? that thing is literal cancer.
personal desktop
mostly for web browsing, so it has to have flash player too.

lmao

Debian doesn't "come" with anything. I'm currently running the Cinnamon desktop on one PC and awesome-wm with compton for compositing. You can also run it with KDE, LDXE, or any special snowflake desktop environent or window manager you want. You can even do a terminal only install, so that you don't have to deal with any of the desktop shit, and browse the internet using w3m, and browse your files from the command line or use something like ranger, and yes, you can even have image support and video support in that mode.

Now, since you say personal desktop, I'll tell you that you can indeed use debian for that. I'm using it on an old as fuck laptop right now, and it works perfect. As for flash, I'm going to go ahead and tell you to kill yourself. You can use gnash and like it.

what's the difference ?

Debian asks you at install time. You can easily select Gnome3/KDE/Mate/Xfce/Cinnamon/LXDE as a desktop environment.
(it only has xfce if you install offline from the CD image)

Flash is unmaintained cancer. Gnash can view the content, and is free software, though you should avoid using that shit anyway.

You can also avoid installing a desktop environment and just use the package manager to install it later.

is it still maintained ?
thats not up to me sadly, the website i use has it.

i didn't know that, back in the day it only came with Gnome if i remember right.

Yes.
Ghey

shut up GNU fag. GNU software is cancerous bloat and the only reason anyone uses it is because of retards who fell into the trap of using their extra nonstandard """features""".

Top Kek

Excellent logic there, GNUfag. Note that I'm not criticising the philosophy of the GNU project, only the general quality of their software.

You can't claim that people were somehow tricked by the software. You can dislike it, but that's not what you just did.
That's neither here nor there. We're talking about software, and the fact is that GNU software is popular and important in the computer science world. Your gripes about it, seem to belong only to you. As for the quality of their software, I've never seen anything wrong with it, nor does anyone seem interested in making it "better".

yes i can, and it's basically true. if GNU software which includes nonstandard extensions becomes popular (which is has), many people will inevitably use the nonstandard extensions, which results in other alternative software becoming generally unusable, even if only (let's say) 25% of important scripts make use of nonstandard extensions. Big examples here are bash, gawk, and coreutils; however this issue becomes irrelevant when talking about GNU software which does not aim to follow a standard (gcc, emacs and nano, for example).
True.
False. Many people have criticised GNU software (e.g. glibc, gcc) as being slow and bloated.
Just as an example, GNU `false` contains 80 lines (some of which are comments, but still way too FUCKING much crap for a program which is just supposed to `return 1;`).
see suckless.org/philosophy

kys
kys
kek

your arguments are not very convincing. i'll continue using gnu software

No, it isn't true, and you have autism.
And yet, in spite of this being free software, nobody seems to be able to come up with a better alternative, and gcc is also outperforming the shit they have tried to push under their cuck licenses.
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/false.c
>see suckless.org/philosophy
Funny, I don't see an attempt to replace any of the GNU tools, or maybe they have, but a cursory check says no, especially something like GCC.

No, don't you get it, you only think you like it. :^)

GCC suits me fine.

do you really need to be spoon fed a list of alternatives to GNU? suckless was just an example of the philosophy I'd have in an ideal world, not a place to find everything.
use busybox
use tcc (tcc is a bit unmaintained, but still adequate for many things including compiling "REAL" programs) or clang (a bit bloated but way better optimization than tcc and not quite as horrible internal structure as gcc, capable of compiling linux kernel with patching)
use uclibc/musl
don't use that cancer, plain makefiles/configuration headers are the way to go

Here'a another list of alternatives to GNU:
- Windows
- macOS
[...]

No, because I'm not autistic enough to think they are needed.
No, thanks. I'll use what works best: gcc.
Nope, see above.
Again, you're the only one autistic enough to have that opinion. Get over it, fag. I'm sorry GNU hurt your fee fees.

- BSD
- not GNU/linux

wew, the quality of this board has really gone downhill!

Well, no, but you certainly are also a gigantic faggot. Control yourself, autist.

lol

that shit hasn't been updated since 2012 !

Gentoo

ubuntu is unironically the best.

After distro hopping for a while I stopped at Mint during the period when all the tech hipsters were shilling for it. Can't really say why. Just never had any trouble with it and I'm not snobbish when it comes to my os. Clean and werks.

Custom Linux from scratch with musl, busybox, and DirectFB

It's not 2005.

btw Debian gives you like 8 choices of desktop (or you could install it with no desktop and use whatever wm you want)