By Brian Fagioli

Please do your Fagioliposting in here, so you don't have to do it anywhere else.

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2017/09/13/gnome-3-26-manchester-linux/
betanews.com/2017/09/15/kodi-addon-repo-danger-metalkettle/
betanews.com/2017/09/20/google-billion-htc/
betanews.com/2017/09/24/korora-26-fedora-linux/
cs.columbia.edu/2017/bjarne-stroustrup-awarded-2017-faraday-medal/
betanews.com/2017/09/24/tv-addons-kodi-fake-news/
betanews.com/2017/09/20/gnome-purism-librem5-linux-smartphone/
archive.is/Sz6kx
forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35205246
youtube.com/watch?v=cHjqDs-UA5g
betanews.com/2017/09/28/keep-the-trump-administration-out-of-your-private-life-with-tails-3-2-linux-distribution/
heads.dyne.org/about.html
betanews.com/2017/09/29/microsoft-preview-skype-linux/
cnet.com/news/nsa-docs-boast-now-we-can-wiretap-skype-video-calls/
jitsi.org/
archive.fo/rrPzo
betanews.com/2017/09/22/gskill-ryzen-trident-z-rgb-ram/
recode.net/2017/9/25/16276904/president-donald-trump-ivanka-tech-stem-computer-science-coding-education-amazon-google
virusfreecontent.org
stupidfreecontent.org
warosu.org/g/thread/13019177
youtube.com/watch?v=P6sOEULLOog
betanews.com/2017/10/03/fedora-27-beta-linux/
betanews.com/2017/10/04/purism-million-librem-5-linux/
betanews.com/2017/10/23/microsoft-makecode-minecraft/
betanews.com/2017/10/25/linux-mint-kde-edition-dead/
betanews.com/2017/11/14/dell-ubuntu-linux/
dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/precision-5720-aio/
betanews.com/2017/11/18/pc-death-laptop-smartphone-black-friday-2017/
betanews.com/2017/11/14/linux-mint-183-sylvia-beta/
betanews.com/2017/12/02/linux-mint-sylvia-kde-xfce-beta/
betanews.com/2017/12/01/drive-by-cryptomining/
archive.fo/BUdZU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you're at a GNU/Windows conference
walk into elevator
fagioli waddles in
it's really him
he's eating a footlong chicken sub from subway with one hand
he immediately presses the door close button and then the top floor button with the other
"This should get us there alright"
he farts loudly and very wetly as you're starting to go up
starts giggling to himself awkwardly
quickly finishes the rest of his sandwich
pulls out his phone with his ranch covered hands
starts taking selfies
you can see everything he's doing on his phone
he starts posting about what just happened on twitter
46 more floors to go
what would you do?

Accuse him of rape.

Brian is impacting the mental sanity of people here, it seems.
Even still, fuck off faggot OP.

Tell him that he's been eating artificial soy chicken.

breathe in deeply
feel blessed by the aroma

I guess I'd go on Holla Forums to tell the story about how I was farted on in the elevator...
By Brian Fagioli

is fagioli the new stallman of Holla Forums?

No.

Look for the not secret agent trying to frame me for a crime. Then proceed to take the electrical wires in the frame of the elavators buttons and short circuit fagolis phone via a em field on the spot. Or just ask him to delete the pictures.

I'm intrigued, go on.
He seems either the i'm trying to lose weight turkey sub, or fuck it i give up classic with extra sauce sub type of guy. All or nothing either or with nothing in between, like a chicken sub.
At least that part is semi believable. It's probably bullshit but it's believable enough.
I'd ask his thoughts on making Linux work on an ARM based laptop or desktop, why don't more OEM or hardware manufacturers making chromebook clones that is easier for most end users to upgrade or replace the battery, RAM, and SSD. If the RAM is soldered in, at least fucking make the battery and SSD accessible since those 2 parts should always be made serviceable. I'd squeeze in some questions on open source hardware, possible or just a pipe dream right now. What are his thoughts on flexible displays, plastic printable CPUs, what is the next material post silicon.

When we reach the 46th floor and right before the door opens, I will give him a purple nurple and say to him before I leave nobody will believe you

get off immediately

commit finnish suicide ritual

I didn't think keeping a lookout for not secret agents would make them so assmad. I won't look so hard in the future.

tweet @ him and tell him I'll kill him before the diabetes does if he farts in the elevator again

fuck ..... wait, what.

Do not want to shit up the catalog so here. BTW, can we have a /bfd/ - Brian Fagioli Discussions thread in Holla Forums?

By Brian Fagioli

When people think of Linux-based operating systems, they often imagine people typing in a terminal or coding in a basement while drinking Mountain Dew -- yeah, those stupid old stereotypes still exist, sadly. While that is surely part of the user base, other users choose an open source operating system for nothing more than using their computer as a tool. In other words, some folks use Ubuntu, Fedora, or other distros just to get normal stuff done -- word processing, web surfing, and more. No terminal. No coding. No religious-like experiences.

For these Linux users, and others, the desktop environment sort of is the operating system. It is how they interact with their computer and launch their apps -- what's under the hood doesn't necessarily matter. For many, GNOME 3 is their preferred environment, and for good reason -- it is beautiful, intuitive, and getting better all the time. Today, GNOME 3.26 codenamed 'Manchester' sees release. It is chock full of improvements, such as a much-needed refreshed settings menu, enhanced search, and color emoji! Yes, Linux users like using the silly symbols too!

"System search has been improved for GNOME 3.26. Results have an updated layout which makes them easier to read and shows more items at once. Additionally, it's now possible to search for system actions, including power off, suspend, lock screen, log out, switch user and orientation lock. (Log out and switch user only appear if there’s more than one user. Orientation lock is only available if the device supports automatic screen rotation.) These search features can be accessed in the usual way: click Activities and type into the search box, or simply press 'super' and start typing," says the GNOME Project.

ALSO READ: GNOME desktop environment for Linux and BSD is 20 years old today

The project further says, "GNOME 3.26 introduces a new layout to the Settings application. The previous grid of icons is gone and, in its place, a sidebar allows switching between different areas. The new sidebar makes it much easier and quicker to navigate the settings application and places the most commonly used settings within easy reach. It also means that the Settings window is now bigger and can be resized, which is more comfortable in a lot of situations. GNOME's network settings have been improved as part of this work: Wi-Fi now has its own dedicated settings area and network settings dialogs have been reworked, so that they are neater, clearer and easier to use."

color_emoji_gnome

GNOME 3.26 has many other changes (24,105 actually!), with just some listed below. You can read the full release notes here.

Windows now smoothly transition when they are maximized, unmaximized or snapped to one half of the screen. As well as looking good, this makes it easier to track what’s happening on screen.
The size of window thumbnails has been increased in the Activities Overview, making it easier to pick the window you want.
The top bar now becomes transparent when there aren’t any maximized windows. This is more attractive and gives a better sense of space.
The dialogs which inform you when an application isn’t responding have a new style, making them look more integrated and refined.Boxes, the GNOME application for virtual and remote machines, now allows folders to be shared between a virtual machine and your computer. To use this feature, just select which folders you want to share from the box settings, and they will appear as network locations in the guest.
In Software, updates are now grouped by type and provide more accurate progress information when being installed.
Simple Scan, the GNOME application for scanning images and documents, has had some interface improvements for 3.26. A new start screen provides some useful guidance, editing tools are easier to identify and preferences can be accessed from the header bar.
Logs now groups similar messages together, which makes the history much shorter, making it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Polari — the IRC application — has a new initial setup assistant, which makes it easy to get connected and start chatting.
When you resize a file system in Disks it’s now possible to also resize its partition, which often saves an extra task.
Maps has a collection of small improvements: there are new keyboard shortcuts, more information is shown about places and the last transportation method is remembered when plotting routes.
GNOME’s calendaring, contacts, to do and mail applications now perform better offline — many items can now be edited when you don’t have an internet connection, and any changes will be uploaded the next time you are online.
Photos has new controls for zooming.
It’s now possible to add and edit reoccurring events in Calendar.
Terminal now highlights and makes it easy to open hyperlinks.
In Evolution, the new To Do bar allows you to view a list of upcoming events and tasks. Also, it’s now possible to use Evolution without having a mail account.
Tweak Tool has been renamed to Tweaks and has gained three new settings: a switch to move window buttons to the left or right, a Disable While Typing option for touchpads and an option to show the battery percentage in the top bar. There has also been a good amount of clean up and refinement.

cake_ubuntu_GNOME

The easiest way to try GNOME 3.26 is to wait for the desktop environment to become available for your favorite Linux distribution. Ubuntu users, for instance, won't have to wait long; GNOME 3.26 will be the default DE for version 17.10 which is due next month. Users of other Linux-based operating systems might have a longer wait, unfortunately.

Are you excited for GNOME 3.26? Tell me why in the comments below.

Since the story is from OPs point of view

fuck off

sage negated, QUEER.

NO, FAGOLI FAGOLI GET OFF THE RAVIOLI

le page seven save rave

I think he's needed a hell of a lot more than ravioli to look like that, man...

Those NYC streetcart chili-cheese dogs really pack in the protein. HUGE LOGS

Just press the button for the next floor up, and hold my breath until we get there. Wait until elevator comes back down or just take the stairs, since I'm not a fat faggot, and all.

Nope, just ugly as fuck.

even fagioli has a gf

Dude, fuck you. I'm desperate for human contact.

They're wearing wedding rings.

I think it's cute. I bet they share insulin and other diabetes supplies.

The mods deleted the thread I made about that because they don't want to face the horrible truth that Brian Fagioli won't die alone and the mods and the rest of us will.

Fagioli's got game, baby. He apperantly convinced some landwhale to change her name to Fagioli as well.

The man works for Beta News, but he's straight Alpha.

You probably owe me a keyboard now.

That is one fat motherfucker.

It really exists. Gentoo Prefix on Windows, natively not an emulation layer like Cygwin64!

Better single and bitter than attached to a hamplanet like that!

Damn straight shes absorbing the whole damn table jesus christ

Shut up nigger, can't you see we're gormlessly bitching about Faggotloli's hamplanet here?

I am gnu/linux I don't need to go to confreces.

Do you think he goes by "fag" for short?

Probably not.

Fagioli, Fagioli, stick your chode in Ravioli!

By Brian Fagioli

Kodi is quite possibly the best media center software of all time. If you are looking to watch videos or listen to music, the open source solution provides an excellent overall experience. Thanks to its support for "addons," it has the potential to become better all the time. You see, developers can easily add new functionality by writing an addon for the platform. And yes, some addons can be used for piracy, but not all of them are. These addons, such as Exodus and Covenant, are normally added using a repository, which hosts them.

Unfortunately, there can apparently be security issues with repositories when they shut down. For example, when the metalkettle repo ended, the developer deleted its entry on GitHub. This in itself is not a cause for concern, but unfortunately, GitHub's allowance of project names to be recycled is. You see, someone re-registered the metalkettle name, making it possible for nefarious people to potentially serve up malware to Kodi users.

The warning came from the metalkettle developer over on Twitter (who has since deleted his Twitter account too). As you can see below, he warns that devices with the repository installed could be in danger from a security standpoint. If a user was to search that repo, and the new owner of the GitHub name was to share malware, the user could assume it is safe and install it.

We do not know 100 percent if the person that re-registered the metalkettle name on GitHub is planning anything evil, but it is better to be safe than sorry. If you still have the repository installed, you should remove it immediately. Not to mention, if you know someone using Kodi, such as a friend or family member, you should warn them too.

betanews.com/2017/09/15/kodi-addon-repo-danger-metalkettle/

Why do millennial devs tie shit directly to github?

i haven't been around these parts for a while

what's with your infatuation with this guy anyway, and why is he important? all i could find about him is just that he's some shit blogger. why do you guys care about him so much?

because everyone else uses it!

Because younger pajeet devs don't know or don't care about code quality, code security, and cianiggers owning github.

n-s-yayyykun why are you being so nice and warning people about this? Tis a very weird gesture of support.

fuck off

Warning: If you are as fat as Brian Fagioli, your life could be in danger

Thank god I'm not then. When you've got fat wrapped around your head like a chinstrap to a helm you've got issues.

This is your problem now.

I'm not one to care about shitposting, but mods can we ban this guy already? The entire catalog is littered with his shit and it kind of ruins it when he posts faster than the 50 other regulars we have here combined.

Banning Fagioli would be like banning fat people from Walmart. It's just not possible.

Except it's not. It's like 3 faggots in a discord who think they're hilarious.

Fagioli is hilarious

It's been our problem since at least dear

By Brian Fagioli

There have been rumors for a while now that Google was going to buy the struggling HTC. This seemed like a wonderful idea, as HTC makes great smartphones, which is good for the overall health of the Android market.

Today, a deal finally happens, but Google didn't buy HTC outright. Strangely, as the deal is laid out, the search giant has seemingly bought HTC employees. Yes, for $1.1 billion, the search giant has sort of purchased human beings -- plus it gets access to some intellectual property. HTC gets a much-needed big influx of cash.

"Google and HTC Corporation today announced a definitive agreement under which certain HTC employees – many of whom are already working with Google to develop Pixel smartphones – will join Google. HTC will receive $1.1 billion in cash from Google as part of the transaction. Separately, Google will receive a non-exclusive license for HTC intellectual property (IP). The agreement is a testament to the decade-long strategic relationship between HTC and Google around the development of premium smartphones," says HTC.

The company further explains, "This agreement also supports HTC's continued branded smartphone strategy, enabling a more streamlined product portfolio, greater operational efficiency and financial flexibility. HTC will continue to have best-in-class engineering talent, which is currently working on the next flagship phone, following the successful launch of the HTC U11 earlier this year. HTC will also continue to build the virtual reality ecosystem to grow its VIVE business, while investing in other next-generation technologies, including the Internet of Things, augmented reality and artificial intelligence."

In other words, HTC remains its own entity -- Google does not own it. Tomorrow morning, some HTC employees could be informed that they will eventually be sold to Google -- almost like when a professional sports player is traded to a different team. Yeah, it seems rather weird, but it looks like both companies are getting what they want/need.

Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President of Hardware at Google says, "HTC has been a longtime partner of Google and has created some of the most beautiful, premium devices on the market. We're excited and can't wait to welcome members of the HTC team who will be joining Google to fuel further innovation and future product development in consumer hardware."

Of course, the deal does not close tomorrow -- the companies anticipate the agreement to be finalized in 2018. In the interim, it will apparently be business as usual at HTC and Google, but I am sure employees at both companies will have a lot of uncertainty until everything is approved.

UPDATE

I reached out to HTC for further clarification. The company replied with the following.

betanews.com/2017/09/20/google-billion-htc/

Thats 50,000,000 dollars a person. The EPA has already determined the value of human life the VSL rate to be worth 5.1M. HTC is getting a steal from jewgle in terms of compensation.
Why tell us this n-s-yayyy-kun? Desperate for good coders so much that you are purchasing pajeets from chinks?

I said desperate for good coders. You think purchasing 2000 pajeets will get you anything beyond mediocore coders? It won't.

It will sure get you a lot of them though.

fuck off cia nigger

Damn that's fucked. So for VR, your choice is either Faceberg or Jewgle. Jewed or kiked.

Damn that's fucked. So for VR, your choice is either Faceberg or Jewgle. Jewed or kiked.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

kys

They're obviously lacking talented employees which is the reason they had to go out and buy ones that actually know what the fuck they're doing.

Fagioli Bless This Mess

are you twelve years old, a shitskin, or a google employee?
i would guess the latter two

they never want to live in the desert when they get here bro. Nice SJW logic tho.

If 2000 pajeets were given typewriters and an infinite amount of time, would they ever type fizzbuzz?

They would shit in the typewriters.

There is still OSVR and the chance of peripheral manufacturers entering the fray.
Last I heard ASUS and LG were making HMDs compatible with steamVR so HTC's HMDs are not the only option.
Big players are moving towards standalone HMDs with their own computer on board and intrinsic tracking systems.
Will most likely end up pozzed to oblivion and beyond like today's android smartphones with all your motion tracking data sold to the highest bidder.

G.SKILL unveils AMD Ryzen Trident Z RGB memory kits

By Brian Fagioli
Published 6 hours ago

No Comments

inShare84

GSkill_Ryzen

If you are building a new PC these days, you should definitely check out AMD processors. Its Ryzen chips are an amazing value, while the Ryzen Threadripper variants are multi-core beasts. There's nothing wrong with Intel, but now is clearly the time for AMD to shine.

If you need RAM for such an AMD build, compatibility can sometimes be a bit of a pain, so you should always consult with your motherboard manufacturer's list of compatible sticks. Of course, you can never go wrong with G.SKILL, and today, the company unveils new memory kits for both regular AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper. These Trident Z sticks aren't standard, however -- they feature RGB lighting to make your build look pretty! I mean, everything is better with lights, right?

"Specifically designed for AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper platforms, now there are vibrant options up to the popular DDR4-3200MHz CL14 or the massive 128GB (8x16GB) kits at up to 2933MHz. For a full range of memory kit capacity options, the new Trident Z RGB memory kit models are available at DDR4-2400MHz in 2-, 4-, and 8-module kit configurations with 8GB and 16GB modules, which allows for 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB memory kits for your AMD system," says G.SKILL.

The popular RAM-maker further says, "AMD currently has two platform offerings, where Ryzen supports dual-channel with 2 or 4 memory modules and Threadripper supports quad-channel memory with 4 or 8 memory modules. To give a boost in memory performance to AMD number-crunching workstations and high-end graphic rendering systems, G.SKILL offers several selections for each AMD platform, including memory speeds of up to DDR4-2933MHz or ultra-high capacity at 128GB (8x16GB). To differentiate between the new AMD-optimized Trident Z RGB kits from the original, look for the 'X' at the end of the Trident Z RGB model numbers."

fuck off

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI YOU HAVE POSTED FAR TOO SLOWLY

By Brian Fagioli

Fedora is my favorite Linux distribution, but I don't always use it. Sometimes I opt for an operating system that is based on it depending on my needs at the moment. Called "Korora," it adds tweaks, repositories, codecs, and packages that aren't found in the normal Fedora operating system. As a result, Korora deviates from Red Hat's strict FOSS focus -- one of the most endearing things about Fedora. While you can add all of these things to Fedora manually, Korora can save you time by doing the work for you.

Since Korora is based on Fedora, it always lags from a version perspective. For instance, Fedora 26 was released in July, but Korora 26 is only seeing a release today. With version 26 of Korora, the big news is the fact that it is now 64-bit only -- 32-bit development for the operating system is dead. It is also the first version of the OS created with "Canvas" -- a new tool designed to simplify the process of creating the Korora operating system from Fedora.

Why is this operating system being called "Bloat?" No, it is not full of bloatware! Yes, it is a terrible name for an OS, I know. Actually, it is named after an anthropomorphized porcupine pufferfish called "Bloat" (voiced by Brad Garrett) from popular Disney/Pixar movie, "Finding Nemo." All versions of Korora are named after characters from this animated film.

There are five desktop environments available in Korora 26, all of which have been updated from the prior OS release. You can see a list of the environments below. Keep in mind, GNOME is the default environment for Fedora, so for the most authentic experience, you should use that.

Cinnamon 3.4
GNOME 3.24
KDE Plasma 5.10
Mate 1.18
Xfce 4.12

Regardless of desktop environment, you will now have solid backup options available to you, as detailed here. Speaking on these new backup options, The Korora Project Team explains, "We are always improving the range of included applications in Korora and from 26 all desktop environments now include a Backup solution. We know how important your data is to you so we wanted to make it easier for you to protect it."

Ready to download Korora 26? Just point your web browser here. Be sure to tell me how you like the operating system in the comments below.

Fuck they even backdoored xfce now? Atleast you warned us n-s-yayyy-kun.

By Brian Fagioli

For significant contributions to the history of computing, in particular pioneering the C++ programming language, Bjarne Stroustrup has been named the recipient of the 2017 Faraday Medal, the most prestigious award to an individual made by the Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Since 1922, this bronze medal, named after Michael Faraday, has recognized those who have made notable scientific or industrial achievements in engineering or rendered conspicuous service to the advancement of science, engineering, and technology. Previous recipients include Donald Knuth (2011), Roger Needham (1998), Sir Maurice Wilkes (1981), J A Ratcliffe (1966), Sir Edward Victor Appleton (1946), and Sir Ernest Rutherford (1930).

“I am honored and humbled to see my name among so many illustrious previous winners of the prize,” said Stroustrup. “This privilege is only possible through the superb work of the C++ community.”

Stroustrup began developing C++ in 1978 while working at Bell Labs. Strongly influenced by the object-oriented model of the SIMULA language (created by Ole-Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard), he extended the traditional C language by adding object-oriented programming and other capabilities. In 1985, C++ was commercially released and spread rapidly, becoming the dominant object-oriented programming language in the 1990s and one of the most popular languages, significantly impacting computing practices and pushing object-oriented technology into the mainstream of computing.

Currently Stroustrup is a Visiting Professor in Computer Science at Columbia University and a Managing Director in the technology division of Morgan Stanley in New York City. His publications include several books—The C++ Programming Language (Fourth Edition, 2013), A Tour of C++ (2013), Programming: Principles and Practice using C++ (2014)—as well as a long list of academic and general-interest publications that Stroustrup maintains here.

Recently elected an Honorary Fellow of Churchill College, Cambridge, Stroustrup is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of both the IEEE and the ACM. He is also a Fellow of the Computer History Museum.

Stroustrup continues to update and add functionality to C++. Even as new languages have been created for the rapidly shifting programming landscape, C++ is more widely used than ever, particularly in large-scale and infrastructure applications such telecommunications, banking, and embedded systems.

Stroustrup will receive the award in a ceremony to be held in London November 15.

Are you a C++ pro? Will you be at the ceremony to congratulate him? Let me know in the comments below.

cs.columbia.edu/2017/bjarne-stroustrup-awarded-2017-faraday-medal/

It's nice you give all these adressess away for where (((your))) honeypots are.

Did Dennis Ritchie git one them medals? Nope, 'spose not.

(((Rust))) absolutely BTFO

MICHAEL FARADAY

FARADAY MEDAL RECIPIENTS

PRIZE WENT TO SHIT SOMEWHERE RIGHT AROUND HERE

I hereby nominate Zed Shaw for the next Faraday Prize, considering how far along this amazingly progressive award has come to this day.

boo hoo no one gave you a medal

Would you give me a medal user

I've got some hot lead for you.

Explain why the Faraday prize shifted from physicists (such as Faraday) to computer programmers. Faraday would not be very happy.

Moar liek Brian Fatioli amirite guis lol

the only give this medal to jews

Faraday wasn't a jew.

Frauds.

I'm

Of course you can, but if you do it you might end up sounding like a jealous fag and you shouldn't be. Awards are for idiots.

Yes, I'd give you a fucking medal. Keeping boards like this alive on the interwebs is fucking important.

You should get a fucking medal too. You're one of the few people in the world who are capable of following that train of thought.

By Brian Fagioli

Fedora is my favorite Linux distribution, but I don't always use it. Sometimes I opt for an operating system that is based on it depending on my needs at the moment. Called "Korora," it adds tweaks, repositories, codecs, and packages that aren't found in the normal Fedora operating system. As a result, Korora deviates from Red Hat's strict FOSS focus -- one of the most endearing things about Fedora. While you can add all of these things to Fedora manually, Korora can save you time by doing the work for you.

Since Korora is based on Fedora, it always lags from a version perspective. For instance, Fedora 26 was released in July, but Korora 26 is only seeing a release today. With version 26 of Korora, the big news is the fact that it is now 64-bit only -- 32-bit development for the operating system is dead. It is also the first version of the OS created with "Canvas" -- a new tool designed to simplify the process of creating the Korora operating system from Fedora.

Why is this operating system being called "Bloat?" No, it is not full of bloatware! Yes, it is a terrible name for an OS, I know. Actually, it is named after an anthropomorphized porcupine pufferfish called "Bloat" (voiced by Brad Garrett) from popular Disney/Pixar movie, "Finding Nemo." All versions of Korora are named after characters from this animated film.

There are five desktop environments available in Korora 26, all of which have been updated from the prior OS release. You can see a list of the environments below. Keep in mind, GNOME is the default environment for Fedora, so for the most authentic experience, you should use that.

Cinnamon 3.4
GNOME 3.24
KDE Plasma 5.10
Mate 1.18
Xfce 4.12

Regardless of desktop environment, you will now have solid backup options available to you, as detailed here. Speaking on these new backup options, The Korora Project Team explains, "We are always improving the range of included applications in Korora and from 26 all desktop environments now include a Backup solution. We know how important your data is to you so we wanted to make it easier for you to protect it."

Ready to download Korora 26? Just point your web browser here. Be sure to tell me how you like the operating system in the comments below.

Fuck they even backdoored xfce now? Atleast you warned us n-s-yayyy-kun.

By Brian Fagioli

President Donald Trump seems to enjoy calling any news organization that isn't favorable towards him "fake news." He has overused the term to the point that it is a parody of itself -- when it leaves his lips, at least. With that said, fake news is a legitimate concern. There have been cases where organizations have shared news that was either untrue or misleading. Sometimes this is caused by bad reporting, but in other cases, it could be intentional -- such as spreading fake news and advertisements on Facebook to help someone get elected, for instance.

Today, TVAddons -- a Kodi community website/group that focuses on addons -- announces that it is fed up with fake news about Kodi. In fact, it even calls out some news organizations and specific articles that it argues spread falsehoods about the open source media center. It is a great read, and the group shares explanations as to why each news story is "fake news" or "clickbait."

"Fake news is everywhere these days. Fake news (or clickbait) is normally published for financial gain, by attracting huge amounts of visitors through highly sensationalized or even blatantly false headlines. Kodi is not immune to the fake news epidemic plaguing our society. Hundreds of fake news stories spreading completely falsehoods about Kodi and Kodi addons have been published across the web," says TVAddons.

ALSO READ: Kodi addons site TVAddons insists its domains are not being used to spy on users

The group further says, "Next time you see some nonsense being spread online about Kodi or TV ADDONS, ignore it. We believe that most of these fake news sites are spreading falsehoods because they are being paid by evil corporations who want to destroy Kodi. At the same time, a sensational headline definitely attracts more clicks, and each time someone visits their web sites, they make a quick buck off the traffic. Moral of the story: learn how to distinguish fake news from legitimate news and you won’t be fooled in the future!"

While the TVAddons blog post is interesting and informative, we here at BetaNews cannot speak to the validity of the claims that these organizations or their articles are "fake news." Instead, we'll let you form your own opinions on the subject. It is important to note, however, that nothing about Kodi in its pure state is illegal.

betanews.com/2017/09/24/tv-addons-kodi-fake-news/

Brian Fatloli is a demokike too, sweet. Should've guessed.

To normalfags there's no difference between Kodi itself, and the illegal stream apps they use. The media (rightly tbh) calls out these illegal tools, but (either through ignorance and malice) also end up making the same conflation.

So you end up with legitimate Kodi users getting shunned, AND you fuel the persecution complex of the people developing/using blatantly illegal addons. Lose/lose.

Fagioli is love

by Brian Fagioli
The Librem 5 smartphone by Purism has a long and difficult road ahead of it. Competing against the likes of Apple and Google on the mobile market has proven to be a death sentence for many platforms -- including Microsoft with its failed Windows 10 Mobile. With that said, I am rooting for Purism and its Pure OS, as the world would benefit from a device that uses Linux and focuses on both privacy and security. Such an alternative to iPhone and Android would be a breath of fresh air.

betanews.com/2017/09/20/gnome-purism-librem5-linux-smartphone/

archive.is/Sz6kx

This really is great news.

The Librem 5 is one of the few libre (or at least privacy-respecting) phones of the market.

The others are the Galaxy S2 with Replicant and some others.

GNOME helping Purism will greatly enchance the user experience on the Librem 5.

you do not own the fagioli meme and bring great shame to the board with your tripfaggotry.
get in the >>>/bog/ immediately

NSA shill detected.

bog dweller detected

A notice that digital media is owned by no one in ancapistan

LOL brian FAGioli

Guys, fagioli looks a bit like loli

what a jew

Mucha duda

XFCE is shit

Waiting on Wayland to come to Android.

Are you inbred?

Notice that there is no good, cheap processor that is 100% libre.

node JS runs on intercontinental ballistic missiles next

Only if you want to lose a fight to that 12 year old who hacks your missle.

Fuck you too.

This is now a phone thread.

Allow me to share my experiences in getting XFCE to run on my Galaxy SIII International. You need root for this.
Sidenote here: I had to use the proot method to containerize the Debian system because the kernel on the SIII is 3.0 and chroot requires 3.2+. To do this, I modified the proot commands in /data/data/ru.meefik.linuxdeploy/env/cli.sh and added "-k 3.10" switches to them. If you get "FATAL: kernel too old" errors, you should change the containerization method to proot and then do this.
Now, you'll need to create an xorg.conf. You can use the sample one I am giving here:
Section "Device" # Can be anything Identifier "ARM Mali 400-MP4 GPU" Driver "fbdev" # Set to your framebuffer device Option "fbdev" "/dev/graphics/fbX" # Rotate from portrait to landscape. Not required on tablets. Option "Rotate" "CW"EndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout0" InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse0" #MatchIsTouchScreen "on" Driver "mtev" # This is the touchscreen. To find it test the input devices # with evtest, which is in the Debian repos. Option "Device" "/dev/input/eventX" Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Ignore" "off"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "evdev" # Power and volume buttons, test with evtest. Option "Device" "/dev/input/eventY" Option "Protocol" "auto"EndSection
Now you need to install mtev. This is not available in the debian repos. You need to get the zip file from forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35205246 and then untargz it. You then need to build it. You need the following packages:libmtdev1 libmtdev-dev xserver-xorg-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev
You need to cd to xorg-mtev*, make clean then do a few fixes to the header files. Add #include "xorg-server.h" to src/common.h, and check the other header files and change the ordering of #include "common.h" to be before other includes. Then make it, and
Do not forget to install onboard, otherwise you will have no software keyboard.
Now you have two options: use the start command of a pre-existing window manager, or use startx.
With the former you just install xfce/gnome/kde and run the start command of that distro, i.e. startxfce4. You should install consolekit if you want that.
With the latter, you need a .xinitrc like this: xterm &onboard &# This rotates the touchscreen coordinates by 90 degrees, use this# if you used Option "Rotate" "CW" in xorg.confxinput set-prop Mouse0 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1exec i3 # or whatever you wanna use# Note: TWM doesn't work with onboard due to focus issues.
Now comes the final part: starting X. Unfortunately SurfaceFlinger, Android's display server, hogs the input devices and the framebuffer. You need to either stop or pause surfaceflinger and system_server. If you stop them, you will need to restart your device to return to Android.
You need to execute a command like "service stop command; xorg start command". This is kinda error-prone and may sometimes hang your device.
To stop surfaceflinger: (only works from Android shell)
To pause surfaceflinger: (works from the chroot, np reboot required afterwards)
And within a few moments xorg should start with your WM/DE. If you are using startx, you might find it useful to fiddle with -dpi to get bigger/smaller fonts as by default fonts will be tiny.

Copyright m712 2017. You may copy and distribute this text if this notice is preserved.

When people think of Linux-based operating systems, they often imagine people typing in a terminal or coding in a basement while drinking Mountain Dew -- yeah, those stupid old stereotypes still exist, sadly. While that is surely part of the user base, other users choose an open source operating system for nothing more than using their computer as a tool. In other words, some folks use Ubuntu, Fedora, or other distros just to get normal stuff done -- word processing, web surfing, and more. No terminal. No coding. No religious-like experiences.

For these Linux users, and others, the desktop environment sort of is the operating system. It is how they interact with their computer and launch their apps -- what's under the hood doesn't necessarily matter. For many, GNOME 3 is their preferred environment, and for good reason -- it is beautiful, intuitive, and getting better all the time. Today, GNOME 3.26 codenamed 'Manchester' sees release. It is chock full of improvements, such as a much-needed refreshed settings menu, enhanced search, and color emoji! Yes, Linux users like using the silly symbols too!

"System search has been improved for GNOME 3.26. Results have an updated layout which makes them easier to read and shows more items at once. Additionally, it's now possible to search for system actions, including power off, suspend, lock screen, log out, switch user and orientation lock. (Log out and switch user only appear if there’s more than one user. Orientation lock is only available if the device supports automatic screen rotation.) These search features can be accessed in the usual way: click Activities and type into the search box, or simply press 'super' and start typing," says the GNOME Project.

ALSO READ: GNOME desktop environment for Linux and BSD is 20 years old today

The project further says, "GNOME 3.26 introduces a new layout to the Settings application. The previous grid of icons is gone and, in its place, a sidebar allows switching between different areas. The new sidebar makes it much easier and quicker to navigate the settings application and places the most commonly used settings within easy reach. It also means that the Settings window is now bigger and can be resized, which is more comfortable in a lot of situations. GNOME's network settings have been improved as part of this work: Wi-Fi now has its own dedicated settings area and network settings dialogs have been reworked, so that they are neater, clearer and easier to use."

GNOME 3.26 has many other changes (24,105 actually!), with just some listed below. You can read the full release notes here.

Windows now smoothly transition when they are maximized, unmaximized or snapped to one half of the screen. As well as looking good, this makes it easier to track what’s happening on screen.

The size of window thumbnails has been increased in the Activities Overview, making it easier to pick the window you want.

The top bar now becomes transparent when there aren’t any maximized windows. This is more attractive and gives a better sense of space.

The dialogs which inform you when an application isn’t responding have a new style, making them look more integrated and refined.Boxes, the GNOME application for virtual and remote machines, now allows folders to be shared between a virtual machine and your computer. To use this feature, just select which folders you want to share from the box settings, and they will appear as network locations in the guest.

In Software, updates are now grouped by type and provide more accurate progress information when being installed.

Simple Scan, the GNOME application for scanning images and documents, has had some interface improvements for 3.26. A new start screen provides some useful guidance, editing tools are easier to identify and preferences can be accessed from the header bar.

Logs now groups similar messages together, which makes the history much shorter, making it easier to find what you’re looking for.

Polari — the IRC application — has a new initial setup assistant, which makes it easy to get connected and start chatting.

When you resize a file system in Disks it’s now possible to also resize its partition, which often saves an extra task.

Maps has a collection of small improvements: there are new keyboard shortcuts, more information is shown about places and the last transportation method is remembered when plotting routes.

GNOME’s calendaring, contacts, to do and mail applications now perform better offline — many items can now be edited when you don’t have an internet connection, and any changes will be uploaded the next time you are online.

Photos has new controls for zooming.

It’s now possible to add and edit reoccurring events in Calendar.

Terminal now highlights and makes it easy to open hyperlinks.

In Evolution, the new To Do bar allows you to view a list of upcoming events and tasks. Also, it’s now possible to use Evolution without having a mail account.

Tweak Tool has been renamed to Tweaks and has gained three new settings: a switch to move window buttons to the left or right, a Disable While Typing option for touchpads and an option to show the battery percentage in the top bar. There has also been a good amount of clean up and refinement.

cake_ubuntu_GNOME

The easiest way to try GNOME 3.26 is to wait for the desktop environment to become available for your favorite Linux distribution. Ubuntu users, for instance, won't have to wait long; GNOME 3.26 will be the default DE for version 17.10 which is due next month. Users of other Linux-based operating systems might have a longer wait, unfortunately.

Are you excited for GNOME 3.26? Tell me why in the comments below.

Are they done rewriting it in Rust yet?

Holy fuck thank you mods.

(((enhanced search))), it's bloated buggy garbage, half of the software under the gnome umbrella is abandonware, and now it's botnet

I've been using it for a week or so. I hadn't used GNOME for a while, so I don't know how much of it is really new in 3.26, but I like no longer having to bother with Redshift and Bumblebee because GNOME has implementations built right in.
It's far from perfect, I still supplement it with xfce4-panel at the bottom, but I prefer it to the alternatives.

>(((enhanced search)))
It's literally just a better layout and access to a few local system functions it couldn't find before, it has nothing to do with the internet.

(By Brian Fagioli)

Sorry familia, I meant to write that

Holla Forums has become a fucking fagloli and rust circlejerk. /g/ has retaken the title of quality which is sad because /g/ has no quality.

It's fine when you filter out the shitposts half the board at this point, but degenerate attention sluts like the OP have taken it upon themselves to start circumventing that.
Best option is to move to blazechan asap

Nigger he's our savior.

CHILI CHEESE DOGS

There is no shortage of diminutive bus-powered portable USB storage drives on the market nowadays -- both SSD and 2.5-inch HDD variants. Unfortunately, these drives typically offer relatively small capacities. Some professionals (and home users) need an external drive with much higher storage possibilities and being portable doesn't always matter. In these cases, a 3.5-inch-based USB drive is preferable, as plugging into a wall outlet for power is not an issue, and more importantly, it is available in higher capacities.

Today, Western Digital unveils a new external desktop drive line that should meet the needs of many. Called "My Book Duo," it actually leverages two 3.5-inch mechanical hard drives in RAID-0 to offer capacities up to 20TB. For example, the top capacity offering is comprised of dual 10TB drives. It connects with the latest-and greatest USB-C connector. Making it even more useful, it even includes an integrated two-port USB-A hub. This makes the My Book Duo storage system particularly ideal for machines without USB-A, such as the newest MacBook Pro. It will not charge a connected laptop, sadly. The external drive also features 256-bit AES hardware encryption and comes with a respectable 3-year warranty.

"Whether set up as a home back up system, or for a small business, the My Book Duo storage system can quickly and reliably back up an enormous amount of data in any environment. It comes with RAID-optimized WD Red hard drives inside to deliver high-speeds of up to 360 MB/s sequential reads, and RAID-optimized firmware which is perfect for two-disk array systems with auto management of drive operations to help ensure read/write cycle data integrity," says Western Digital.

The company also says, "The My Book Duo storage system also features a USB Type-C port with all cables included so it's universally compatible (supports USB 3.1 Gen 1/3.0/2.0) right out of the box and offers high-speed connectivity. The storage system also has two additional USB Type-A hub ports to allow for additional accessories, including drones, action cameras, card readers, keyboards, mice, USB drives or phone syncing and charging."

Oh and because I forgot in the OP:

By Brian Fagioli

By default, the Western Digital My Book Duo comes formatted in NTFS and is set up in RAID-0, meaning both drives show up as a single combined drive. The downside to this, unfortunately, is if one drive fails, data on both drives are lost. If redundancy is preferred, you can reconfigure the drive for RAID-1 which can be safer for important data. You can also set the My Book Duo to work as two independent drives in JBOD mode if you'd like. If you need to use it with Linux or macOS, you can also reformat the drive using different file systems.

Western Digital My Book Duo external USB-C HDD features up to 20TB storage capacity

By Brian Fagioli
Published 1 month ago

5 Comments

inShare35

mbduowd

There is no shortage of diminutive bus-powered portable USB storage drives on the market nowadays -- both SSD and 2.5-inch HDD variants. Unfortunately, these drives typically offer relatively small capacities. Some professionals (and home users) need an external drive with much higher storage possibilities and being portable doesn't always matter. In these cases, a 3.5-inch-based USB drive is preferable, as plugging into a wall outlet for power is not an issue, and more importantly, it is available in higher capacities.

Today, Western Digital unveils a new external desktop drive line that should meet the needs of many. Called "My Book Duo," it actually leverages two 3.5-inch mechanical hard drives in RAID-0 to offer capacities up to 20TB. For example, the top capacity offering is comprised of dual 10TB drives. It connects with the latest-and greatest USB-C connector. Making it even more useful, it even includes an integrated two-port USB-A hub. This makes the My Book Duo storage system particularly ideal for machines without USB-A, such as the newest MacBook Pro. It will not charge a connected laptop, sadly. The external drive also features 256-bit AES hardware encryption and comes with a respectable 3-year warranty.

"Whether set up as a home back up system, or for a small business, the My Book Duo storage system can quickly and reliably back up an enormous amount of data in any environment. It comes with RAID-optimized WD Red hard drives inside to deliver high-speeds of up to 360 MB/s sequential reads, and RAID-optimized firmware which is perfect for two-disk array systems with auto management of drive operations to help ensure read/write cycle data integrity," says Western Digital.

ALSO READ: Acronis True Image 2018 includes anti-ransomware protection

The company also says, "The My Book Duo storage system also features a USB Type-C port with all cables included so it's universally compatible (supports USB 3.1 Gen 1/3.0/2.0) right out of the box and offers high-speed connectivity. The storage system also has two additional USB Type-A hub ports to allow for additional accessories, including drones, action cameras, card readers, keyboards, mice, USB drives or phone syncing and charging."

mbduowd2

By default, the Western Digital My Book Duo comes formatted in NTFS and is set up in RAID-0, meaning both drives show up as a single combined drive. The downside to this, unfortunately, is if one drive fails, data on both drives are lost. If redundancy is preferred, you can reconfigure the drive for RAID-1 which can be safer for important data. You can also set the My Book Duo to work as two independent drives in JBOD mode if you'd like. If you need to use it with Linux or macOS, you can also reformat the drive using different file systems.

While the My Book Duo connects using USB-C, don't panic if your computer does not have such a port. In additional to a normal USB-C cable, Western Digital is including a USB-C to USB-A wire in the box, meaning My Book Duo should work with pretty much any computer. Also included at no charge is various utilities for both setting up the drive and encrypting it.

If you want to buy the Western Digital My Book Duo, it can be had today at various retailers. The drool-worthy 20TB variant isn't cheap, however, as it costs $799. Luckily there are more cost-effective models with lower price-points. The external drive can also be had in 4TB ($259), 6TB ($289), 8TB ($329), 12TB ($419), and 16TB ($599) capacity options.

And based Brian's based video on it:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHjqDs-UA5g

So backdoored by default. Do you even sell non-backdoored hdd drives anymore n-s-yayyy-kun?
What does that stand for?

I dunno, but it gets me all hot and bothered thinking about Brian's JIGGLYBODY.

Just a Bunch Of Disks
It's a simpler way of combining multiple disks with no redundancy

do you want him to fuck you in the ass as badly as I do?

how many chili cheese dogs u think she could eat in one sitting?

Enjoy your data losses

It is said that when the Fagiolis run out of food one of them will devour the other.

Fagioli is life

Meme responsibly next time.

By Brian Fagioli

As we learned from the great patriot Edward Snowden, the US government can and will spy on you. Not caring about that invasion of privacy, and dismissing it with the flawed statement of "I have nothing to hide," is flat out idiotic. Regardless of what you do on your computer, or on the internet, your privacy is sacred, and quite frankly, it was earned by our forefathers that fought for our freedoms.

If you do care about your privacy, and you want to keep the heavy-handed Trump administration or other government agency out of your private business, please know you aren't powerless. There is a specific Linux-based operating system that aims to protect your privacy from corrupt governments and other evildoers, such as hackers and spies. Called "Tails," it always runs in a live environment from a DVD or flash drive. In other words, especially with an optical disk, it will help to hide your footprints. Today, version 3.2 sees release.

Please know that I am not singling out President Trump or the US Government. Edward Snowden's revelations came about during President's Obama's presidency. Also, there are far worse governments than the USA when it comes to overall privacy and internet freedoms, such as China and Iran.

Getting back to the Tails operating system, the Linux kernel has been upgraded to 4.12.12, making it very modern. The Thunderbird email client is now at version 52.3, while Bluetooth has been disabled entirely due to the BlueBorne attack.

If you are using Tails 3.1, you will want to update ASAP. Why? It has more holes than Swiss cheese. Version 3.2 patches many vulnerabilities, as listed below.

Linux: Debian Security Advisory 3945, and partially fixes Debian Security Advisory 3981 (not fixed: CVE-2017-7558, CVE-2017-12153, CVE-2017-12154, CVE-2017-14051, CVE-2017-14340, CVE-2017-14489, CVE-2017-14497, CVE-2017-1000251, CVE-2017-1000252)
Tor Browser: MSFA 2017-22
libsoup2.4: Debian Security Advisory 3929
git: Debian Security Advisory 3934
libgd2: Debian Security Advisory 3938, Debian Security Advisory 3961
libmspack: Debian Security Advisory 3946
libraw: Debian Security Advisory 3950
libxml2: Debian Security Advisory 3952
thunderbird (icedove): Debian Security Advisory 3968
tcpdump: Debian Security Advisory 3971
bluez: Debian Security Advisory 3972
perl: Debian Security Advisory 3982
samba: Debian Security Advisory 3983

Ready to download Tails 3.2? You can download it here immediately.

betanews.com/2017/09/28/keep-the-trump-administration-out-of-your-private-life-with-tails-3-2-linux-distribution/

Great thinking, Fagioli. No one has ever done that before.

Why does tails rely on a flawed init system and the most security ridden graphical eviroment? Because It's popular?

Better option for tech, install a hardened gentoo live system on a usb.

Never change, Holla Forums

Blessed be thy beans

Why not Qubes OS?

Watchya sliding n-s-yayyyy-kun? Everyone here should know to avoid tails/heads like the plauge it is due to systemdick and pulseaudio.

If it's security-ridden, why are you complaining?

heads.dyne.org/about.html

Git gud.

t. clueless, 12yo ignoramus

I know what all of those things are not. systemd.

What is with these threads? The articles that get posted from this Fagioli guy aren't good enough to be interesting and they aren't bad enough to be triggering. It's not like it's some kind of lolcow thing either because these threads never even get more than 15 replies.
Whoever's been posting these has been at it for ages too. Is this just some obsessed lunatic?

this is fagioli's entire audience

there's something about his fat jolly ignorance that makes it tolerable, it's like if neo was fat and happy and the black guy with the pills never showed up.

go Heads instead, its built off Devuan

not yet :^)

By Brian Fagioli

Skype is an important communication service thanks to its cross-compatibility. There are clients for Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and even desktop Linux. It may not offer the best user experience, but it is passable, making it a solid choice for those that need to keep in touch across long distances.

Today, Microsoft releases a refreshed preview of Skype for Linux. There are both DEB and RPM packages available, making it easy to install on, say, Ubuntu, Debian, or Fedora. In fact, I successfully installed it on Pop!_OS earlier today. Believe it or not, the new interface is quite nice, making it something I could possibly enjoy using on my Linux machine.

"Great news for Skype for Linux users -- the next generation of Skype for Linux is launching! Starting today, you can download Skype Preview for Linux and start enjoying new features across all your devices -- including screen sharing and group chat. With Skype for Linux, you can take advantage of the screen sharing feature on your desktop screen. Now, you can share content with everyone on the call -- making it even easier to bring your calls to life and collaborate on projects," says The Skype Team.

ALSO READ: Ubuntu Linux 17.10 'Artful Aardvark' Beta 2 now available to download

The team further says, "The new group chat feature for Skype for Linux allows you to talk with several friends at the same time. We even included options to personalize chats with emoticons, Mojis, and photos so you can express yourself with your own style. It’s a great way to turn your everyday conversations into experiences. The next generation of Skype for Linux is part of our broader strategy to rebuild Skype from the ground up with cloud technology -- a more reliable platform that can scale to a much bigger audience."

While some Linux desktop users may be using alternative messaging services, such as the excellent Telegram, I urge them to give Skype a try too. Yes, it is a Microsoft product, and I understand that may deter some, but it is a new world -- the Windows-maker is no longer an enemy to the Linux or open source communities. This new version in particular is quite slick, showing Microsoft actually put some care and effort into the Skype for Linux experience.

Ready to try it yourself? You can nab the RPM or DEB version here.

betanews.com/2017/09/29/microsoft-preview-skype-linux/

Is this still in the Embrace part, or is it now on to Extend.

Dead certain I've seen his wife in a porno.

Your mission is to find it once again.
t. God

Moron. It's a fucking botnet that can be intercepted and viewed with laughable ease.

What proof do you have that Skype is easy to intercept and view?

The superserver anti-spying design of skype was removed some years ago.

yes! finally i can install the next generation of botnet into my linux.

is Skype open source now?
no

I'll take Ring or even fucking Telegram to this garbage.

Where have you been?
cnet.com/news/nsa-docs-boast-now-we-can-wiretap-skype-video-calls/

It's like they're trying to win a botnet competition.

try appear.in

If you are going to use that you might as well push a ffmpeg stream over cia.gov. Fucking nigger honeypots.

explain how that is objectively worse than skype?

pro-tip for cianiggers: you can't

Give me a day, I will find it.

My skype for linux is very buggy, it keeps saying it is outdated and that people wont receive my messages, I hope microshill fix it soon.

Or maybe it's just cianiggers messing with me.

GIANT LOGS

rotfl

Alright, I found it. To me, this kind of looks like his wife. You tell me. I cropped just her face since Holla Forums is SFW.

Holy shit lads it's a perfect match.

So Fagioli isn't just married, he's married to a PORN STAR?

I'll wait for a few others to weigh in, then if so, I'll post a NSFW topic about this on >>>Holla Forums

She made around 25 short videos before she stopped after she had a baby.

Left is fatter, has thinner eyebrows, and different shaped eyes.

Seems legit. Post proof now faggot and link it here.

What have I done?

checkin' those Satatic Trips.

Absolutely NSFW: www .sunporno.com/videos/20593/jerkoff-instruction-3

There's more, but no one uploaded them.

All I see is some large woman miming how to make and eat a large bowl of cake frosting all by her self.

I'll see if I can find the other ones uploaded, there are ones where she exposes more.

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI

I'd love to know Fagioli's response.

I'll take your word for it, so no need. No really, no need at all. I believe you.

Post more on Holla Forums. I want to desecrate this meme.

Give me about 15 minutes.

You are probably getting vanned for this btw.

Fagioli is that you? You can't van someone for posting things that are public, you silly fagioli you.

Thread is up. You know what to look for.

Show them Jitsi jitsi.org/
Or better: invite them to a conversation using Jitsi Meet.

Drop the "this is open source and more secure" argument. Just tell them it is better than Skype. Because it is better in every way, and they don't have to give up any normie features Skype has..

You could have prevented this cianigger. Instead you just kept being horrible at your job.

Fagioli's got a new job starting today.

He's back in the porn industry with his wife?

Code packages available in PyPI contained modified installation scripts.

By Brian Fagioli

The official repository for the widely used Python programming language has been tainted with modified code packages, a computer security authority in Slovakia warned. The authority also said the packages have been downloaded by unwitting developers who incorporated them into software over the past three months.

Multiple code packages were uploaded to the Python Package Index, often abbreviated as PyPI, and were subsequently incorporated into software multiple times from June through this month, Slovakia's National Security Authority said in an advisory published Thursday. The unidentified people who made available the code packages gave them names that closely resembled those used for packages found in the standard Python library. The packages contained the exact same code as the upstream libraries except for an installation script, which was changed to include a "malicious (but relatively benign) code."

"Such packages may have been downloaded by unwitting developer[s] or administrator[s] by various means, including the popular 'pip' utility (pip install urllib)," Thursday's advisory stated. "There is evidence that the fake packages have indeed been downloaded and incorporated into software multiple times between June 2017 and September 2017."

Officials with the Slovak authority said they recently notified PyPI administrators of the activity, and all identified packages were taken down immediately. Removal of the infected libraries, however, does nothing to purge them from servers that installed them. The authority advised developers and administrators to check whether any of their servers are relying on the tainted packages. The advisory provided the specific commands that can be used to perform the check. In the event infected packages are found, administrators should remove them immediately and replace them with the proper package.

Shortly after Thursday's advisory went live, researcher and activist Benjamin Bach and freelance journalist Hanno Böck reported that they were able to seed PyPI with more than 20 libraries that are part of the Python standard library. They, too, modified the package installation files, in this case, with a script that caused developers to briefly connect to a server that recorded each developer's IP address. Within minutes, the server reported the libraries were being installed. Results published here showed the packages were downloaded almost 7,000 over a two-day period.

archive.fo/rrPzo

The problem is that packages in the standard Python library should originate only from their official source, rather than being downloaded from third-party repositories that store packages developed by non-official sources. Thursday's advisory and the results published on Friday demonstrate this best practice is being ignored by a significant number of developers and, in the process, could jeopardize the security of the resulting software. For instance, if a developer were to accidentally use a rogue pseudo-random number generator instead of Python's official secret module, an app's cryptographic functions might be easy for attackers to defeat.

"It's a very easy way to compromise many systems in a short time," Böck told Ars on Friday. "Ultimately, this comes down to the problem that everyone can upload to PyPI. Right now, this problem is completely ignored by the Python+PyPI people. We need at least to start a discussion about what the best solution should be."

By Saturday morning, PyPI administrators had removed the top 20 most-downloaded packages posted by Bach and Böck. It wasn't clear if PyPI was preventing new packages from using those names. Attempts to reach PyPI administrators weren't immediately successful.

Further Reading
How a college student tricked 17k coders into running his sketchy script
The incidents closely resemble an attack carried out last year in a research experiment by a college student in Germany. As part of his bachelor thesis, University of Hamburg student Nikolai Philipp Tschacher uploaded packages to PyPI and two other repositories. The packages used names that were similar to widely used packages already submitted by other users. They also contained code that tracked the developers. Over a span of several months, his imposter code was executed more than 45,000 times on more than 17,000 separate domains, and more than half the time his code was given all-powerful administrative rights. Two of the affected domains ended in .mil, an indication that people inside the US military had run his script.

Bach and Böck started their project after discovering that many of the package names used in Tschacher's experiment had since become available again on PyPI, freeing the way for anyone else to offer malicious packages that used the same names.

"Benjamin [Bach] tried to tell both the Python security team and the PyPI devs about it and got no reaction," Böck said.

The problem is ultimately the result of developers and administrators who fail to inspect packages thoroughly. Adding to the insecurity, the widely used pip package management system (pictured above), which most Python developers rely on, doesn't require cryptographic signature before executing code when a package is installed. Böck said the PyPI is currently blocking use of the packages he and Bach used but that a more comprehensive solution still needs to be worked out.

Pajeets have bad security practices, news at 8.
Thanks for the heads up n-s-yayyy kun. Fucking weird how you are actually giving usefulish information.

They should look into what people do with npm. Not only is there zero security and zero oversight, but it can execute code on install.

Python devs don't even give a shit as long as they can type "import muhpackage" and have it werk.

fugg

I almost did as i wanted a youtube browser for cli

Ignore Agent Fud, this does not mean all packages were compromised. What happened was some smart crackers added python packages with the names of commonly installed packages with common typos and embedded malware inside the install script. If you type the package name correctly/verify the package is correct by checking the PyPI link on their paclage's project homepage, you're completely safe.

i installed requests and bs4 so i think i'm safe

It always concerned me that anyone can upload packages with any unused name. It's polluting the namespace. I think the packages should have a unique hash code along with an informal name that's not unique.

Slovakian NSA > American NSA

Are you even trying, burgers?

Well, this was finding and revealing malware. Actual NSA is in the business of spreading malware, and that they do to perfection.

By Brian Fagioli

If you are building a new PC these days, you should definitely check out AMD processors. Its Ryzen chips are an amazing value, while the Ryzen Threadripper variants are multi-core beasts. There's nothing wrong with Intel, but now is clearly the time for AMD to shine.

If you need RAM for such an AMD build, compatibility can sometimes be a bit of a pain, so you should always consult with your motherboard manufacturer's list of compatible sticks. Of course, you can never go wrong with G.SKILL, and today, the company unveils new memory kits for both regular AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper. These Trident Z sticks aren't standard, however -- they feature RGB lighting to make your build look pretty! I mean, everything is better with lights, right?

"Specifically designed for AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper platforms, now there are vibrant options up to the popular DDR4-3200MHz CL14 or the massive 128GB (8x16GB) kits at up to 2933MHz. For a full range of memory kit capacity options, the new Trident Z RGB memory kit models are available at DDR4-2400MHz in 2-, 4-, and 8-module kit configurations with 8GB and 16GB modules, which allows for 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB memory kits for your AMD system," says G.SKILL.

ALSO READ: G.SKILL DDR4 RAM sets world record with 5.5GHz overclock using Intel X-series CPU

The popular RAM-maker further says, "AMD currently has two platform offerings, where Ryzen supports dual-channel with 2 or 4 memory modules and Threadripper supports quad-channel memory with 4 or 8 memory modules. To give a boost in memory performance to AMD number-crunching workstations and high-end graphic rendering systems, G.SKILL offers several selections for each AMD platform, including memory speeds of up to DDR4-2933MHz or ultra-high capacity at 128GB (8x16GB). To differentiate between the new AMD-optimized Trident Z RGB kits from the original, look for the 'X' at the end of the Trident Z RGB model numbers."

G.SKILL shares the compatibility list [attached].

While pricing is not yet known, G.SKILL promises that the AMD Ryzen Trident Z RGB memory kits will be available next month, in October. This RAM should be sold at the usual retailers, such as Newegg and Amazon.

betanews.com/2017/09/22/gskill-ryzen-trident-z-rgb-ram/

i'm sure those lights will look pretty right next to some autists piss bottle

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI GIVE ME THE FAKENEWSOLI

Jesus christ enough of that homofaggotry shit already. What's next, rear spoiler wings on the case for massive downforce to make the computer go faster.

I miss the days when RAM was just some chips soldered on a PCB.

Also, is RAM compatability a thing now? I've never worried about before. I always just bought what was the best value for the size and type I needed. It's been ages since I bought any. Last time was like 2012. Bought four 8 gig sticks of ddr3 and maxed out my mobo.

this one has 4 of them so it can go in any direction fast

Tangentially related, Factorio is so heavily optimized that RAM frequency actually makes a huge difference in performance. I can't think of any other modern game where that matters.

There are a lot more instances nowdays where mixing ram can work, but honestly, the best thing to do is to just use all the same stuff and avoid problems.

The vast majority of chips will just work, however if you're chasing high speeds, you need to be more careful. The reason people care now is that Ryzen's performance is somewhat tied to RAM speed, with people seeing as much as a 15% difference in some scenarios.

Bethesda's engine has always been sensitive to RAM speed.

Tangentially related, how much time is it worth spending to see if I can enjoy this game?

it's a great game and worth $20. There's torrents for both windows and linux, download it first and try it. There's no DRM, you can get it off steam but buy it off the website because fuck steam and dev's get more money.

They put multiplayer and mods behind a pay/login wall, which is the only drm type thing they have going, logging on isn't required to play ie torrents, and you can still play multiplayer, just without the server browser and the server host has to have verification turned off.

dev's are also not sjw's and recently cause a shitstorm when they called for the genocide of all leftists.

Oh yeah Ive got four sticks of the same stuff.

Good to know. If I ever get a Ryzen. I'd love to get a thresdripper, but I don't really have the money. Just going to try and put away money and wait for the 24 core POWER9.

lmao he said fag LOL

translation: nigger nigger nigguh muh gaymes mayne nigga nigguh nukkah yee nigger swag

Plus, tech giants like Amazon, Facebook and Google will commit new support to coding education

By Brian Fagioli

President Donald Trump will issue a new directive Monday to supercharge the U.S. government’s support for science, tech, engineering and mathematics, including coding education, as the White House seeks to train workers for high-demand computer-science jobs of the future.

To start, Trump is set to sign a presidential memorandum at the White House later today — a policy, first reported by Recode, that tasks the Department of Education to devote at least $200 million of its grant funds each year to so-called STEM fields.

And on Tuesday, Trump’s daughter and adviser, Ivanka, is expected to head to Detroit, where she will join business leaders for an event unveiling a series of private-sector commitments — from Amazon, Facebook, Google, GM, Quicken Loans, Salesforce and others — meant to boost U.S. coding and computer-science classes and programs, multiple sources confirmed to Recode on Monday.

The exact total of their financial pledges is unclear, and the White House did not provide further details about industry participants on Monday.

On a call with reporters, though, Ivanka Trump stressed the whole of their new campaign aims to ensure “every student across the country, from our rural communities to our inner cities,” has access to tools that can prepare them for digital-minded jobs.

“Given the growing role of technology in American industry,” she continued, “it is vital our students become fluent in coding and computer science, with early exposure to both.”

Trump’s new computer-science campaign builds in some ways on previous work by his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, who sought to boost coding education through initiatives like Computer Science for All. That 2016 effort similarly relied on commitments from nonprofits and tech companies, who pledged to help city and state leaders improve their STEM curricula. But a key piece of the so-called CS for All program — $4 billion in new federal spending — never won approval from Congress.

Obama scored some early wins anyway, but it’s still the case that less than half of all U.S. high schools offer computer science classes, according to an estimate from Code.org, which has worked with both the Obama and Trump administrations on the issue. To that end, Apple chief executive Tim Cook urged Trump to make coding a requirement in public schools when he joined the president and other tech leaders at the White House’s so-called “tech week” this June.

A month later, Cook and other business leaders, including Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson and Microsoft President Brad Smith, huddled with the Trump administration — including Ivanka — on a private call to discuss ways to rethink federal policy through a tech lens, sources told Recode this week.

But the White House’s announcement nonetheless comes at a perilous moment for tech, corporate America and the Trump presidency.

A month ago, scores of executives, including tech giants, resigned their posts on two councils advising Trump on business and manufacturing issues, citing Trump’s early refusal to blame the violence in Charlottesville, Va., on neo-Nazi demonstrators. More recently, the leaders of Apple, Facebook, Google and Microsoft have openly criticized the president for ending an immigration program known as DACA, which protects children brought to the United States illegally from being deported.

Many of those tech giants are now lobbying the White House and Congress intensely to restore the legal shield for roughly 800,000 beneficiaries, known as Dreamers. And those participating in the White House’s computer-science announcement this week could find themselves under immense, new pressure — particularly from their employees — to use the opportunity to continue trying to advance immigration reform and other, related issues.

Some of the tech giants promising new dollars for coding education came to the table as a result of the Internet Association, the Washington, D.C.-based lobbying voice for the Valley. Other participants include Accenture, Intuit and Pluralsight, an online education company.

In the nation’s capital, meanwhile, the Department of Education is tasked with figuring out how to dedicate at least $200 million in existing funds toward computer science. Part of that mandate includes focusing on coding education programs that target women and minorities, two under-represented groups in tech hubs like Silicon Valley, according to senior administration officials.

Ivanka Trump, for her part, has focused recently on issues like workforce development. “By supporting computer science curriculum in our schools, I hope that all children will have the opportunity to become fluent in this language of the future,” she posted to Instagram in June — along with a photo in which she’s sitting with her daughter, Arabella, learning how to code.

Should everyone learn to code? Or is this all an elaborate scheme to drive programmer's wages down to $7.00 per hour? Let me know in the comments below.

recode.net/2017/9/25/16276904/president-donald-trump-ivanka-tech-stem-computer-science-coding-education-amazon-google

Elaborate scheme n-s-yayy-kun.

You are just bribing trump to lower wages and import more workers while also virtue signalling. All while advertising you are desperate for good coders.
Literaly just post a fucking job description next time. Would have saved alot of time and money.

I like the idea of mintorites that are already here writing shit code versus importing pajeets. However, this is just more wasted tax money.

good, so darnell and tarquesha will get more free gibs displacing whites at the universities while whites continue to be straddled with massive amounts of student loan debt or be forced to be 5 years behind their peers from spending it in the military for the gi bill. this is more affirmative action then anything.

this is the only upside, i'd rather have darnell than mohammad.

so, uh
this is an education initiative?
what will it be teaching?

Why do people always post articles of this Fagioli guy? Are y'all secretly fag-liolis and have some sort of fetish for his fat face or something? I legit missed the origin of this meme.

Fagioli is love. Fagioli is life.

Just tell me: did this originate from him saying something stupid, so people just repost his articles to make fun of him, or is he genuinely some Gabe Newell figure around here? I don't post often enough on this board.

I think its just some forced meme.

Fagoli is a forced meme by the Not Secret Agency to spam stuff on Holla Forums and slide threads. Holla Forums is probably owned by a goon tbh. He stays out of stuff though unless it is extremely incriminating to (((certain persons))). So it's essentially Holla Forums, but replace loli spam with technical talk and honeypots.

This.

On a side note, Holla Forums was up for grabs about a week ago, and yogapig/cuckmonkey wouldn't give it to me.

'Our Fagioli who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done, as in Linux, so in Windows.'

I think Jim is more of a CIA or military asset based on how he talks, and I think he does more good than harm, honestly. He's not trying to trick people or anything; he says straight up if you don't trust him, go to a different chan. But like, dude has kept up Hot Wheels' free speech shtick from all available evidence.

Technically, it breaks no rules to post news stories. I hate the guy, I hate that it's spammed, but no one else here on Holla Forums is posting anything else to combat him.

Fuck off smileyfag.

Sorry, I thought you were saying the WEBSITE is probably owned by a goon, my bad. I'm tired.

Was getting caught part of your plan cianigger?

Look, I'm ready for the deep state to be completly flipped upside down any day now, with all of the pedophiles shaken out like a bully trying to get change, but no one can deny that (at least for a time) the CIA hired some smart fucking people. Dudes currently being payed are an issue, but I think Jim is a FORMER something-or-other-alphabet-agency, which just means that he's seen some shit. If he was currently being payed, he would have acted COMPLETELY differently on the Goldwater.

Once a traitor always a traitor, fuck off CIAnigger.

Bruv, read the first sentence of my post, then get back to me.
I'm not talking about dude's personal motivations, or where his allegiances are. You can tell that Facebook is run by an asset, for example, by the RESULTS of what the company does. Regardless of what Zuckecuck claims, or even if no evidence is ever found of this fact, you can tell that Facebook is run by the CIA, end of story.
If Jim was still an asset, this website COULD NOT exist as it does. I mean, for fuck sakes, Holla Forums is responsible for electing Trump. They would have been shut down a LONG time ago if Jim was still taking cheques.

The cianigger has spoken. Jim is confirmed ex cianiggers and controlled kike opposition. But is somehow genuinely for free speech still.
Regardless gas yourself furfag

Aight shill, I've provided you with plenty of arguments. Maybe print them out, study them, and one day, in the far future, you'll be able to do something similar. In the mean time, keep buzzwording your way to victory.

Proofs?

that poster is retarded.

They need to get out REEEEEEEEEEE!!

Holla Forumslution? in my Holla Forums?

It's more likely than you think!

Free PC check.
virusfreecontent.org

Holla Forumslution? in my Holla Forums?

It's more likely than you think!

Free PC check.
stupidfreecontent.org

Well, since were being spammed and no one cares. . .

Here's Fagioli's wife's nudes.

They're not going to learn computer science, they're going to learn code monkeying. They want to lower the knowledge gap between Americans and Pajeets by bringing Americans down.

There goes our wages.

stop pretending they aren't one and the same

It's because he's a fat fuck and his last name is "Fagioli", which he attempts to pronounce "Fajoli" in videos but we all fucking know is pronounced like the big fat fag he is.

They aren't.

Not if you're LARPing.

When programming becomes a widespread skill, major tech companies are going to have their shit kicked in. People who program are much more aware of how shitty software like Windows 10 or Skype is. They will understand that Skype using hundreds of megabytes of memory while you're in a simple text chat is not normal or necessary. They will understand that operating systems are fungible, just like any piece of code, and so that they are not locked into Windows 10 forever. Since most programming tutorials teach you how to make console/command-line programs first, they will also hopefully understand that not everything has to be a GUI. Most importantly - though this is a bit of an idealistic hope - they should be more curious towards the software underlying their devices and more startled by moves to lock it down and prevent them from understanding it.

It's looking bleak at times bro. Most people I see treat both hardware and software as an appliance and magic black box most of the time. I don't expect everyone to become a tech wizard since that is not what it's really about. And I'm not against user friendliness and some convenience. But it's the lack of curiosity among more people that makes me think shit is looking not so good at times. Things will probably get worse still before it gets any better.

HOW THE FUCK DID THIS BECOME A CYCLICAL THREAD

You're a pretty Black guy..

they're gonna teach them how to use javascript to make an awesome website, so they can make the next skype or facebook or snapchat etc.

Computer Science is about the logical ordering and manipulation of data. The average normie is practically an advanced user if he figures out that his browser has a built in search bar.

I seriously hope this money doesn't go towards mandatory programming classes in public schools of all things

Thats why intel is hard at work making sure nothing but windows will run on their cpu's.

Everything is supply and demand. Once the tech sector is flooded with coders their will be no further need to pay obese neckbeards and latte sipping nu males 6 figure salaries.

attempting to ascend to Godhood and dethroning Stalman?

no blasphemy please

It's so it doesn't need to be remade if it gets full. When I'm done copying all the other threads to this one, I'll delete them, and this will be the only one left.

(checked)
This

Is Fagioli even aware he gets posted here?

More importantly, is his wife aware her nudes were posted?

For serious?

Yep, NFSW: >>>Holla Forums7436804

Holy shit. Okay, noted. I promise to behave now.

Gonna browse it with a text only browser, but I bet that thread was loads of fun.

There's stuff about Fagioli on there, especially where he sings All-Star like a Fagioli.

Oh, god, now I'm hard.

Here's some stuff found on his twitter. Can't believe his wife puts up with him. If trips, she leaves him for me.

Trips are no big deal on a slow board like Holla Forums. But what I really hope is that Fagioli leaves her for me. I would ravage his corn hole.

It used to be faster.

Well, people on imageboards used to care about technology (and techloligy), but lately it seems imageboards are all about politics and talking shit about other sites without even raids going on. The internet has changed.

I've grown so tired of politics too on both sides of the issue. Political autism seems to be the new autism these days.

I think the problem is that tech autists like us seem to think a technical solution will always solve problems, and since most of the internet is normalfags now, they simply insert their irl politics into the internet. I don't think this trend is going to go in reverse anytime soon.

In a few years it might, my thinking is, people are throwing bigger and bigger tantrums and the extreme crazy voices on either side are getting louder and louder that at some point it'll have to break.

Tech can solve alot of issues, but it can't solve social issues. That has always been a personal thing and unless people want to mature, it's just not going to happen.

I hope you are right, but I suspect the worse, due to being a pessimist. I just wanted to shitpost about GNU/Linux and gpus. Do you remember IN elite? Whatever happened to autism like that?

I've been here in and out a lot over the last 2 years since it slowed down, so no I don't remember IN elite. What was it about?

Dude, IN elite was the resident autistic nvidyafag on /g/ back in 2009 or so. When fermi came out, they even wrote some fanfic for him titled "The Rise and Fall of Fermiville: in 3D."

warosu.org/g/thread/13019177

That would explain it, I didn't really post on 4chan at all, mostly avoided it because I was busier back in those days.

I used to be busy, until I started posting on imageboards and ruined my life jk

That's pretty funny. I vaguely remember nVidia had cards that caught fire sometime around then.

People realized that technology is shit and bought a kind of dystopia the cyberpunks were foreseeing.
People want to do manual labour and trades these days.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I slung the most licenses in the Fileforum software store, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret conferences with Microsoft, and I have over 300 confirmed articles. I am trained in technical journalism and I’m the top reporter in the entire Betanews lineup. You are nothing to me but just another chili dog. I will wipe you the fuck out with comments the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about my wife over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my wife's secret network of orbiters across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the ravioli, maggot. The ravioli that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can write anything, anytime, and I can suffocate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare ass. Not only am I extensively trained in elevator combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Betanews and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” picture was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking mouse. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, bitch boy. I will shit fury all over you and you will eat all of it. You’re fucking cheesed, kiddo.

IS FAGIOLINUX THE RIGHT DISTRO FOR YOU

By Brian Fagioli

But can you survive a 100 floor elevator ride where the elevator stops at every floor but you can't get off until you reach your destination?

As long as I've got a few sandwiches at the ready.

Turkey sandwiches, from a questionable bodega?

>>>Holla Forums7436804

Fagioli your wife's a whoreioli

Is she ever.

Fagioli Fagioli, you wife wants me in her Ravioli

I don't question anything delicious.

Like my wife's pussy

I've seen the Holla Forums thread, I know you need a cockring to get it up. Don't lie.

youtube.com/watch?v=P6sOEULLOog

You haven't tasted that Brian and you know it.

By Brian Fagioli

Last week, Korora 26 was released. This is a Linux distribution based on Fedora 26, which was released back in July. That's the problem with using an operating system that is based on another operating system -- it can seem like you are never truly up to date. Case in point, today, Fedora 27 Beta sees release.

True, this is pre-release software, but recent Fedora Beta releases have been very stable, so it should be fine to run on a non-production machine. Just be aware that there can be bugs and the potential for data loss. If you are comfortable with using a beta operating system, you are in for quite the treat. Fans of Fedora can finally experience GNOME 3.26 -- the default desktop environment on version 27 of the distro. In addition, Fedora 27 Beta now supports TRIM on encrypted solid state disks.

"We're pleased to announce that Fedora 27, the latest version of the Fedora operating system, is now available in beta. The Fedora Project is a global community that works together to lead the advancement of free and open source software, culminating in the innovative Fedora operating system which helps to answer end user needs across the computing spectrum," says The Fedora Project.

ALSO READ: Microsoft releases refreshed preview of 'Skype for Linux' for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and more

Fedora further says, "The desktop experience for developers and general users is not neglected in Fedora 27 Beta, with Fedora 27 Workstation Beta featuring the latest version of the GNOME desktop, version 3.26. This brings a new and improved Builder IDE to bear for developers, providing a new interface, contextual popups, improved search functions and a new debugger. For traditional desktop users, GNOME 3.26 adds support for fractional scaling for high DPI screens, color emoji, and a cleaner look for the Settings application."

Ready to download Fedora 27 Beta? You can grab it here. Please know that there are two versions available today. If you run Fedora on your laptop or desktop for normal computer use, you should get the "Workstation" version -- that is what most people will want. The other version is "Atomic Host," which is a minimalist operating system that focuses on containers. Fedora 27 Server Beta will be released at a different time in the future.

betanews.com/2017/10/03/fedora-27-beta-linux/

By Brian Fagioli

Consumers don't care about privacy anymore, right? Wrong -- some actually do. True, we are systematically being conditioned to surrender our private information and rights nowadays, but some people are still fighting the good fight. In many ways, both the Linux and open source communities can be seen as the foundations of internet privacy.

The most popular mobile operating system on the planet, Android, is already based on Linux, but with Google in charge of it, many consumers cannot depend on it for privacy. With that said, Purism is planning to fight the impossible fight against Android and iOS with the "Librem 5" smartphone. This is a device that will run a privacy-focused Linux-based OS called "Pure OS," but the hardware is wide open for any OS, really. Purism is trying to raise $1.5 million through crowdfunding, and earlier today, it reached a significant milestone -- $1 million! Maybe the fight isn't impossible after all...

ALSO READ: GNOME partners with Purism on Librem 5 Linux-based privacy-focused smartphone

"As overwhelming support continues to pour in from the people wanting to have an ethical mobile phone that avoids Google Android and Apple iOS, Purism, the manufacturer that builds high-quality, top of the range and freedom-respecting devices, earlier today surpassed the $1 million milestone in their current crowdfunding campaign which will allow the company to build the Librem 5: the first truly privacy and security focused smartphone that has been endorsed by Matrix.org, KDE and the GNOME Foundation," says Purism.

Purism_Phone-03

The company further says, "Providing a new alternative outside of the iOS/Android OS duopoly, the Librem 5's isolation-based security-focused PureOS, upon shipment, in addition to the having the ability to integrate with both GNOME and Plasma Mobile, will offer basic communication services: phone, email, messaging, voice, camera, browsing, and will expand after shipment and over time to update with more free software applications, through shared collaboration with the developer community. Key to providing this in the Librem 5, Purism is partnering with open​ ​source​ ​communications​ ​project​ ​Matrix.org to enable end-to-end​ ​encrypted​, ​decentralized communication​ ​in​ the ​dialler​ ​and​ ​messaging​ ​app."

True, Purism still has a long way to go before it reaches $1.5 million, but there is still more than two weeks left in the campaign. If you love Linux and value your privacy, I urge you to donate whatever you can here. For a mere $20 you can become an official backer -- you can reserve the actual phone for just $599.

betanews.com/2017/10/04/purism-million-librem-5-linux/

Purism = Purim + s

I was listening an old nerdgasm video about Win10 spying, and his name came up. I couldn't stop laughing and almost crashed my car.

Have him fuck me in the ass and be in heaven for forty six wonderful floors.

When they have sex, it is like two walruses fighting over the last fish in the sea. Rolling, wheezing, sweating, grunting, mounds of flesh heaving in the soft moonlight.

So beautiful.

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI GIVE ME THE BUMPIOLI

Briagn faligolioli is big if true. Anti-slide bump

Fuckin love this guy

I think he's just big in general.

4 you

Have a larger version of that picture

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI GIVE ME THE CANNOLI

I would rather not have a gf than have a disgusting pig gf. her face looks like it's actually starting to melt.

By Brian Fagioli

When I was a kid, one of my favorite meals was meatloaf -- yeah, I am a stereotypical red-blooded American. My mom would make this dinner regularly, but she had a secret ingredient -- carrots! Yeah, she would mix mushed carrots into the ground beef loaf. Guess what? I couldn't tell the difference, and so, I was eating vegetables. Hiding healthy foods in other ones has become quite popular in recent years -- there are even cookbooks that teach it.

Unfortunately, some children can be just as adverse to learning as they are to eating vegetables. Sure, some kids are avid learners and eaters of healthy food, but if they aren't, some parents can be in for quite the struggle. Today, Microsoft showcases a new way to teach children coding by tricking them into thinking they are playing Minecraft. You know what? That is rather brilliant!

"The MakeCode for Minecraft editor has the pixelated look and feel of Minecraft. MakeCode allows coding with visual blocks, based on a drag and drop interface for beginners, as well as in text with a JavaScript interface for the more experienced learners. Coding with blocks or text, MakeCode teaches the 101 of programming languages, including variables, control flow, if statements, loops and functions. More advanced users smoothly ramp up to more complex concepts such as recursion, fractals and object oriented or distributed programming," says Peli de Halleux, Principal Software Development Engineer, Microsoft.

de Halleux further says, "The Microsoft MakeCode team also works on other editors that allow the programming of physical things such as micro-controllers including the micro:bitand Adafruit Circuit Playground Express. In all these scenarios, the coding is directly linked to building something real, which is the primary reason most computer programmers learn to code in the first place. Instead of thinking they are coding, students are playing a game, they are building their next superpower. Minecraft is a game. MakeCode for Minecraft fits the coding experience into the game itself."

ALSO READ: Microsoft Cortana-powered Harman Kardon Invoke speaker hits stores October 22

In the future, not knowing how to code could be just as impeding as being illiterate -- it is imperative that your children learn this important skill ASAP. What makes "MakeCode for Minecraft," so cool -- besides the Minecraft-themed interface -- is that it is web-based. Yes, folks, you can simply launch the learning experience in a web browser on Windows 10. It seems like a great way to get a young person started in coding in a fun way.

Want to try it out? Simply point your web browser at the link here. If you or your child does try it, please tell me about the experience in the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/10/23/microsoft-makecode-minecraft/

Fagioli, Fagioli, give me home cooked meatloafoli

Pathetic n-s-yayykun. Very pathetic.

By Brian Fagioli

Linux Mint is a fine Ubuntu-based operating system, although I am not sure it needs to exist anymore. After all, its popularity is largely thanks to the historic disdain for Canonical's Unity desktop environment. With the Unity DE now dead, fewer people will seek out the alternative that is Mint.

While both the Cinnamon and Mate versions of Linux Mint are decent choices for computer users, there was one version that was always utterly bizarre -- the KDE Edition. Don't get me wrong, KDE is a fine environment, but Kubuntu already exists. Having a version of Mint using KDE was redundant and confusing. Thankfully, today, the Linux Mint team announces it is finally killing the KDE edition.

"In continuation with what's been done in the past, Linux Mint 18.3 will feature a KDE edition, but it will be the last release to do so. I would like to thank Kubuntu for the amazing work they have done. The quality of Plasma 5 in Xenial made backports a necessity. The rapid pace of development upstream from the KDE project made this very challenging, yet they managed to provide a stable flow of updates for us and we were able to ship good KDE editions thanks to that. I don't think this would have been possible without them," says Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint.

ALSO READ: Linux Mint 18.3 Ubuntu-based operating system is named 'Sylvia'

Lefebvre further says, "KDE is a fantastic environment but it's also a different world, one which evolves away from us and away from everything we focus on. Their apps, their ecosystem and the QT toolkit which is central there have very little in common with what we're working on. We're not just shipping releases and distributing upstream software. We're a product distribution and we see ourselves as a complete desktop operating system. We like to integrate solutions, develop what’s missing, adapt what's not fitting perfectly, and we do a great deal of that not only around our own Cinnamon desktop environment but also thanks to cross-DE frameworks we put in place to support similar environments, such as MATE and Xfce."

While I appreciate the Linux Mint Team refocusing its efforts and resources, only killing the KDE edition is not enough. There are official Ubuntu versions featuring both Mate and Xfce, so Mint should ditch those too. Lefebvre and team would be wise to focus on one desktop environment only -- Cinnamon. This way, they can be sure all users are having a similar experience while wasting fewer resources.

Ultimately, however, killing the KDE version is a great start. If you are a fan of KDE and Mint, you can, of course, install the desktop environment yourself after a Mint installation. Rather than do that, however, I would urge you to just give Kubuntu a try. Who knows, you may really like it.

betanews.com/2017/10/25/linux-mint-kde-edition-dead/

Fagioliposting was funny the first two times it happened over a year ago. Now it's just cringy. Mods should really just delete these pointless threads that are always being spammed.

fuck off

Thanks, Brian.

Glad to help you

No, you fuck off, nigger.

T.n-s-yayyy-kun
Things get worse as this thread get's bumps.

I'll merge these threads into the cyclical when I get home. Please report them when they're made.

bump

All shitposting aside, who the actual fuck is this guy? I've seen his fat fucking face shit up threads before and now he has an entire thread dedicated to his memeposting and crappy tech blogs.

His name contains the word "fag", which is mildly interesting, and the site he writes for contains the word "beta", which is mildly interesting, and he's both a loonix and a microsoft fanboy at the same time, which is mildly interesting, so that adds up to a successful maymay.

I didn't realise it was that straight forward

Yeah, fuck technology discussion on Holla Forums, everything needs to be the same stallman linux chinkpad thread over and over ad infinitum.

fat fuck needs to die and so do fagioliposters

You're just making it so much more fun to do. He is a profet and so is Terry.

By Brian Fagioli

Over the years, many people have bought Windows machines only to wipe the storage drive and install their favorite Linux-based operating system. For the most part, this practice works well, but you still may experience hardware incompatibilities, albeit far fewer nowadays than in prior years. The Wi-Fi card, for instance, may not have Linux drivers, leading to huge headaches.

The better option is to buy a computer with Linux pre-installed. Why? Well, this lets you know that all the hardware is compatible, as the seller has tested it beforehand. Not to mention, you are supporting the Linux community this way. Buying a Windows PC even when you erase Windows still helps Microsoft -- why the heck would you want to do that?

If you want a desktop or laptop running Linux, I urge you to consider a System76 computer. That company offers well-configured computers while providing top-notch service. To a lesser extent, you may want to check out Purism -- a company that focuses heavily on security and privacy, albeit at the detriment to customer experience.

Those aforementioned computer sellers are not the only game in town. In fact, one of Microsoft's biggest partners in the "Wintel" market also supports Ubuntu. You see, Dell has long offered machines running that Linux-based operating system. While the company markets them as "developer" machines, please know that home consumers can absolutely enjoy them too.

ALSO READ: Ubuntu Linux-maker Canonical joins GNOME Foundation advisory board

Today, Canonical -- the Ubuntu-maker -- announces five new Dell computers that come pre-installed with that Linux distribution. While four of them are laptops, one is a drop-dead gorgeous all-in-on desktop. Microsoft won't like this!

Canonical explains, "We are excited to announce the availability of 5 new Dell Precision computers that come pre-installed with Ubuntu. These are systems developed by and for developers, and are available in form factors ranging from sleek ultrabooks to powerful workstations."

You can check out the computers below -- just click on the associated links to configure your own at Dell's website plus see their official Ubuntu certification status. When you go through the configuration process, you will see the the option to select Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on all of them.

Dell Precision 5720

Certification Details
More Info

Dell Precision 5520

Certification Details
More Info

Dell Precision 3520

Certification Details
More Info

Dell Precision 7520

Certification Details
More Info

Dell Precision 7720

Certification Details
More Info

betanews.com/2017/11/14/dell-ubuntu-linux/

"More Info"
>dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/precision-5720-aio/

Watch this be one of the worst business decisions they’ve ever made. The average consumer doesn’t want to be held back by shit like Linux with its learning curve, and how clunky it feels.

I want to support this decision

True tbh. It’s like paying someone to break your leg.

>These are systems developed by and for (((developers)))
Here's a reason you should not to buy modern pc. Talos laptop couldn't come soon enough.

By Brian Fagioli

Next week is one of my favorite holidays -- Thanksgiving! I'm not gonna lie, I like to eat, and since this is a day dedicated to chowing down on some good food, I am beyond excited! Oh yeah, it is also a day in which we spend time with family and reflect on all the things for which we are thankful.

Once the eating is done, the shopping begins. What used to just be "Black Friday" now begins the night before on Thanksgiving -- sacrilege to some. Yeah, while still digesting turkey and stuffing, consumers will queue up in front of stores such as Best Buy, Target, and Kohl's to take advantage of some deep discounts. Surprisingly, according to a new survey, technology devices are not the most wanted products. Actually, clothing seems to be what many people want most. Make no mistake, however -- products like televisions, laptops, and smartphones will be very popular on Black Friday too.

"Black Friday shopping is more popular than ever, with more than three-quarters (79 percent) of Americans saying that they plan to spend the day after Thanksgiving buying gifts. Additionally, almost half (44 percent) revealed that they plan to camp out to get the best deals on laptops (22 percent), TVs (21 percent) and housewares (20 percent). The national survey was fielded among 1,034 adults and 507 teens by Propeller Insights on behalf of Ebates, a leader and pioneer in cash back shopping and subsidiary of the global internet services company Rakuten," says Ebates.

The company further says, "Adults and teens agree that clothing is the number one item they plan to buy on Black Friday (39 percent for adults and 49 percent for teens). Women will buy more clothing than men, with 51 percent of adult women choosing clothing as the number one item they’ll buy on Black Friday and 61 percent of teen girls also choosing it. Only 27 percent of adult men and 33 percent of teen boys chose clothing."

Which item are you planning to
purchase on Black Friday?

Percent of adults
who said this

Percent of teens who
said this
1. TV 33 percent 21 percent
2. Toys 30 percent 21 percent
3. Laptops 32 percent 38 percent
4. Smartphone 28 percent 32 percent

But OK, this is BetaNews -- we aren't passionate about clothes -- tell us about tech! Ebates shares the above four categories. While not all toys are tech-related, many are nowadays. Televisions take the top spot, which surprises me a bit, although low-cost 4K offerings are likely sparking that interest.

Shockingly, laptops are more sought after than smartphones -- by both teens and adults -- while tablets don't even crack the top four! Maybe all that talk from pundits about the "Post-PC" era was nonsense after all. Look, I get it, you can do a lot on a smartphone nowadays. For optimal productivity, however, whether running Windows, macOS, or Linux, nothing beats a good ol' PC. As much as Tim Cook want's to make the iPad Pro a laptop replacement, that is just not happening anytime soon. Sorry.

What tech items will you be targeting on Black Friday 2017? Please tell me in the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/11/18/pc-death-laptop-smartphone-black-friday-2017/

it's not that consumers don't want PC, it's the jews who don't want consumers to use them

iOS and android are a tool of the zog

This. Can I have link to that youtube video where a nigger threw a pc on the floor?

By Brian Fagioli

Back in September, we told you some interesting Linux Mint news -- version 18.3 would be named "Sylvia." That is hardly the most exciting recent Mint news, however. Actually, the bombshell that the operating system would be abandoning KDE was far more intriguing. While some people will mourn Linux Mint KDE, I certainly won't. Quite frankly, it should never have existed in the first place as it fragments the user experience, but I digress.

If you are a fan of Mint KDE, don't panic -- there is still one more release featuring the desktop environment. Yeah, the upcoming 18.3 "Sylvia" will have a KDE version. Today Linux Mint 18.3 BETA sees release, but it is only a Cinnamon and Mate affair -- for now. Unfortunately, the Mint team picked a bad day to release the beta as it will surely be overshadowed by the superior Fedora 27 which was released earlier today too.

If you are a fan of Linux Mint, you will surely be excited by version 18.3. The BETA features a redone software manager, refreshed backup tool, and an improved login screen. The operating system is still based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is wise for stability. It uses kernel 4.10 which isn't bleeding edge, but is fine. For desktop environments, Mate is at 1.18, while Cinnamon sits at 3.6.

ALSO READ: Forget Windows 10! Dell launches five new computers with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed

"The Software Manager is now also much lighter and faster than before. It no longer uses Webkit, browsing categories and apps is almost immediate, and it launches 3 times faster than before. The backend was ported to AptDaemon and the Software Manager now runs in user mode. Consequently you do not need to enter any passwords to browse applications, and if you enter a password to install or remove an app, the authentication is remembered for a little while so you can install or remove other apps without having to enter that password again." says Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint.

Lefebvre further says, "The Backup Tool was almost entirely rewritten. Everything was reviewed: Its features, the way it looks and the way it works. It is now dedicated to making a backup of your home directory, nothing less and nothing more. It saves all your files into a tar archive. When restoring a backup, files are restored in the exact same place they were before, with their original permissions and timestamps. It runs in user mode so you no longer need to enter your password."

If you want to try the Linux Mint 18.3 beta, you can use the below torrent links. While it is probably stable enough for daily use, it is never recommended to use pre-release software on a production machine. In other words, tread cautiously, friends.

betanews.com/2017/11/14/linux-mint-183-sylvia-beta/

Brian is a numale cuck. that's just way fatter than most numale cucks are.

fuck my life

why live?

Looks like Fagloli is using filters to cover up the blemishes in his profile image.

Shut the fuck up Brian, you're a faggot

I wish I had an answer(ioli) for you, user, I really do. I'm still wondering that myself.

bumping cunts

By Brian Fagioli

Linux Mint is a great operating system that I recommend highly. It is based on the rock-solid Ubuntu 16.04, meaning it is stable and compatible with many packages. For Windows converts in particular, Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop environment can be a very inviting first-time distribution that should offer a positive experience. The Mate DE variant is a solid choice too -- if your hardware is a bit anemic, that is.

Two desktop environments are probably the most that a Linux operating system should officially offer. Why? Too much choice can sometimes be bad, as it fragments the user experience and strains developer resources. Thankfully, the Linux Mint team seems to be seeing the light on this, as it will soon be ending the KDE version of the OS. There is still one final version of Mint that will offer KDE, however, and that is 18.3 Sylvia. Today, the beta version featuring that environment sees release.

Since it has one foot in the grave, you should probably avoid Linux Mint 18.3 KDE. If you are dead set on using that overly complicated desktop environment, however, switching to an operating system that will support it would be a better move. I would recommend going with Netrunner or Kubuntu, but better yet, just use Mint with the great Cinnamon DE!

In addition to the KDE variant beta, the Linux Mint team has also released a beta version of 18.3 Sylvia Xfce. Now, I am not a fan of that desktop environment. To speak bluntly and a bit crudely, Xfce sucks compared to both Cinnamon and Mate. Quite frankly, there is no reason for Mint Xfce to exist either. It is a good option for low-powered hardware, but so is Mate. With that said, an Xfce version is simply redundant and a waste of resources. I am not saying Xfce needs to disappear -- we just don't need an official version of Mint for it.

The KDE variant of Mint gets an upgrade to Plasma 5.8, but for the most part, it is otherwise unremarkable. I mean, it is about to be retired after all -- what did you expect? The Linux Mint team shares several improvements that are specific to the Xfce version below, however.

If you want to try Linux Mint, I urge you to opt for the Cinnamon or Mate versions which you can read about here -- they are already out of beta and have bright futures. If you foolishly have an interest in the KDE or Xfce betas, however, you can let me know using the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/12/02/linux-mint-sylvia-kde-xfce-beta/

Brian FAGioli actually saying that gnome 2 (MATE) is good for anemic hardware.

Have we really come so far that gnome 2 is now light on resources? That XFCE is considered redundant?

Jeezus. I don't think we have. MATE is a full fledged DE, and whilst it's lighter than Gnome 3 it's not as light as XFCE or LXDE.

We need choice because everybody wants something different, the more things are the same the more we lose our sense of individuality. It's like Ubuntu, or Windows, where it's assumed you use Unity, or the shitty windows DE, who needs that?

I use Arch, and so I understand the idea of building your own system, and if suddenly Arch was gnome 3, and the gnome stack, I'd vomit and then install /g/entoo.

Linux Mint is hardly overwhelming, and a normie would do fine on either cinnamon or MATE, but one day they might fancy a change.

But with all that choice it's harder for (((redhat))) engineers to implement (((features))) such as (((amazon search))) in your programs menu like with ubuntu. Why would anyone want something other then (((amazon))) search?

Dickbuntu is fucking garbage. Many forced dependencies no one needs.

Too much choice can be bad though. Fragmentation and non-standardization leads to much of what makes Linux absolute shit on the desktop.

wouldnt too much fragmentation lead to shit support from developers?

By Brian Fagioli

With the massive rise in popularity -- and value -- of cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, it's little wonder that people are seeking out ever more imaginative and sneaky ways to mine coins without having to invest in dedicated hardware.

Websites that mine for cryptocurrency in the background, making use of visitors' CPU time, are nothing new -- the Pirate Bay has been caught red-handed, for instance, using a Monero miner in the form of the Coinhive JavaScript Miner. But now researchers have discovered that some websites are using a drive-by mining technique that allows them to continue cryptomining even after the site is closed.

Researchers from security firm Malwarebytes discovers what they describe as "persistent drive-by cryptomining" which is likely to go completely unnoticed by the vast majority of people. In a blog post they explain that a pop-under is used to enable cryptomining to continue even after a visitor closes or navigates away from a site with an embedded cryptominer.

The reason the pop-under goes unnoticed is that it is very small and positioned almost off the screen -- nestling beneath the clock in the taskbar. In the blog post, Malwarebytes' Jérôme Segura says:

He goes on to say:

betanews.com/2017/12/01/drive-by-cryptomining/

Sounds like Google's browser flaw. It allows websites to create hidden windows that don't even close when user exits main browser window.
wew, Holla Forums cant keep getting away with always being right
archive non-js link copy of original article that fails to display itself without javascript in browser:
archive.fo/BUdZU

I bet they use that service.worker garbage. Whitelist based security does not have this problem.

By Brian Fagioli

Apple's macOS is a great operating system. Not only is it stable and beautifully designed, but it is very secure too. Well, usually it is. Unless you live under a rock, you definitely heard about the macOS High Sierra security bug that made the news over the last couple of days. In case you somehow are unaware, the bug essentially made it so anyone could log into any Mac running the latest version of the operating system.

Luckily, Apple has already patched the bug, and some people -- like me -- have forgiven the company. Understandably, not everyone will be as forgiving as me. Undoubtedly, there are Mac users that are ready to jump ship as a result of the embarrassing bug. While that is probably an overreaction, if you are set on trying an alternative operating system, you should not go with Windows 10. Instead, you should embrace Linux. In fact, rather serendipitously, a Linux distribution with a UI reminiscent of macOS gets a new version today. Called "deepin," version 15.5 of the distro is now ready to download.

"deepin is a Linux distribution devoted to providing beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. deepin 15.5 mainly added HiDPI, fingerprint scanning and Flatpak application format. It migrated Deepin Crosswalk to the new web application framework, preinstalled Deepin Clone and Deepin Recovery, newly added touchpad gesture, Wi-Fi hotspot sharing and color temperature adjustment as well as comprehensive optimization of network module and desktop environment. Applications in Deepin Family and applications related to Deepin Wine have been upgraded to the latest version," says The deepin Team.

Speaking on file backup, the team explains, "Pre-installed Deepin Clone, you can clone, backup and restore disks and partitions. Timely backup system files to prevent loss. If you can not enter the system due to some reasons, directly enter Deepin Recovery from the startup interface to repair boot, partition, format and so on. Meanwhile, you can also backup and restore disk and partition in Deepin Recovery.

To download the Debian-based deepin 15.5, just point your web browser here to get the 64-bit ISO. Before you download it, however, I suggest watching the above video. This will prepare you for what the experience is like so you can decide if it is right for you. I think you will be quite surprised by the polish and beauty that is found in this Linux-based operating system.

Are you a Mac user that wants to switch to a different operating system? Tell me about it in the comments below.

Or just set your own secure root password

Deepin the Fagioli!~

Switch to linux, where they recently had the 'press backspace 28 times to get root' bug.

But it's more than just 2 clicks in macOS

Windows wins yet again

that's grub's fault. it doesn't even count because grub is not operating system. not to mention i'm using LILO. stupid GNUfags always have dumb security problems due to their bloated code.

Traditionally, Unix programs were not designed for security. Normally what happened is that when the apps get an input that is outside of standard use case, they would fail by crashing. GNU actually takes the effort to deal with edge cases.

Sure, but that's mostly because traditional Unix is terrifyingly bad.

Why is this guy a meme?

Because some obsessed schizo spammed him for a while.

By Brian Fagioli

Unfortunately, 2017 was not the much-fabled year of the Linux desktop. Hell, that might not ever happen. With Windows 10 being such a disappointment for many, however, it is definitely a possibility. Maybe 2018 will be the year...

One such desktop operating system that consistently delights users is Linux Mint. Today, we get some information about the upcoming version 19. The biggest news is that it will be called "Tara." If you aren’t aware, the operating system is always named after a woman.

Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint leader, shares the following information.

The first release in the upcoming Linux Mint 19.x series will be named "Tara".

Tara is a popular name here in Ireland, and the name of someone we really like 😉

The development cycle only just started so it’s a bit early to give details about Linux Mint 19, but here’s what we can say already:

Linux Mint 19 is estimated to be released around May/June 2018.
Linux Mint 19.x releases will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and supported until 2023.
Linux Mint 19.x will use GTK 3.22.
GTK 3.22 is a major stable release for GTK3. From there on, the theming engine and the APIs are stable. This is a great milestone for GTK3. It also means Linux Mint 19.x (which will become our main development platform) will use the same version of GTK as LMDE 3, and distributions which use components we develop, such as Fedora, Arch..etc. This should ease development and increase the quality of these components outside of Linux Mint.

What do you think of the name Tara? Tell me in the comments below.

WTF! You guys really don't want me to post Brian Fagioli, do you?

Just when I thought this thread will drop off the cliff so that I can post some new Brian Fagioli threads, it got bumped back. Fuck you.

Once bobbers are implemented it will be incapable of 404ing.

Why even live.

TITS BEYOND MEASURE, OUTLANDER

:(
ㅆㅂ

GIVE ME THE DICK

MY DICK IS A FAG WHAT DO I DO FAGIOLI

I must be honest -- I am starting to become fatigued by all of the vulnerabilities and security failures in technology nowadays. Quite frankly, between Spectre and Meltdown, I don't even want to use my computer or devices anymore -- I feel exposed.

Today, yet another security blunder becomes publicized, and it is really bad. You see, many Western Digital My Cloud NAS drives have a hardcoded backdoor, meaning anyone can access them -- your files could be at risk. It isn't even hard to take advantage of it -- the username is "mydlinkBRionyg" and the password is "abc12345cba" (without quotes). To make matters worse, it was disclosed to Western Digital six months ago and the company apparently did nothing until November 2017. Let's be realistic -- not everyone stays on top of updates, and a backdoor never should have existed in the first place.

"Exploiting this issue to gain a remote shell as root is a rather trivial process. All an attacker has to do is send a post request that contains a file to upload using the parameter 'Filedata[0]', a location for the fileto be upload to which is specified within the 'folder' parameter, and of course a bogus 'Host' header," says James Bercegay, GulfTech Research and Development.

Bercegay further explains, "The triviality of exploiting this issues makes it very dangerous, and even wormable. Not only that, but users locked to a LAN are not safe either. An attacker could literally take over your WDMyCloud by just having you visit a website where an embedded iframe or img tag make a request to the vulnerable device using one of the many predictable default hostnames for the WDMyCloud such as 'wdmycloud' and 'wdmycloudmirror' etc."

But wait -- why does a Western Digital product have a hardcoded username containing dlink? Weird right? The researchers did some investigating and found that the WD NAS devices once shared code with D-Link "Sharecenter" devices. Interestingly, these D-Link devices were issued patched firmware in 2014 and no longer contain the backdoor.

Bercegay shares the timeline below. As you can see, WesternDigital had plenty of time to fix this. It was reported in June of last year, but apparently, nothing was done for many months.

2017-06-10: Contacted vendor via web contact form. Assigned case #061117-12088041.
2017-06-12: Support member Gavin referred us to WDC PSIRT. We immediately sent a PGP encrypted copy of our report to WDC PSIRT.
2017-06-13: Received confirmation of report from Samuel Brown.
2017-06-16: A period of 90 days is requested by vendor until full disclosure.
2017-12-15: Zenofex posts disclosure of the upload bug independantly of my research
2018-01-03: Public Disclosure

If you aren't sure if your My Cloud Storage device is affected, please check against the below list. If your model is listed, you should unplug it from Ethernet immediately. Apparently, firmware 2.30.172 (issued November 2017) fixes the bug, so do not reconnect to the internet until you are sure that your device is updated and the vulnerability is patched.

MyCloud
MyCloudMirror
My Cloud Gen 2
My Cloud PR2100
My Cloud PR4100
My Cloud EX2 Ultra
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX4
My Cloud EX2100
My Cloud EX4100
My Cloud DL2100
My Cloud DL4100

Please know, even if you updated the firmware in November, your files could have been accessed by nefarious people before then -- for years. That is very scary.

How does this situation affect your opinion of Western Digital? Tell me in the comments below.

FAGIOLI, FAGIOLI, GIVE ME THE BOTNETOLI!

Impossible. Clouds are safe.

times like these i'm glad im poor as fuck and can't afford anything. all my data is on flash drives lol.

I'm pretty sure there have been many exploits for this device / others like it by WD. Maybe I'm just thinking of the same ones mentioned here though.

Solidus State
It is with botnet

you goddamned fagioli, the only safe cloud is your own-ass cloud

imagine my shock

ditto

look at me. I'm the Holla Forums now