Somewhat decentralized video websites

I had an idea for a youtube alternative.
What if we create a standard, where people host a video on their own website. As long as the page's code meet's the standard, It can be submitted to video search sites that search and categorize said videos. This way, each video maker has to supply their own bandwidth.

That's the problem with alternatives. Supplying a video for potentially millions of people is expensive, nobody wants to pay for that and there's basically no way to profit from it without some advanced kikery that will make it not "youtube replacement".

Your idea for a decentralised video site isn't very decentralised. If each author's videos are hosted only by the author himself, then it's a simple matter to knock out his content. Your average pleb content creator can't afford fat pipes like Jewgle.

We would need a smaller file size format/compression.. Having to handle all the bandwidth in an environment where there is higher traffic would be costly.. Unless you have unlimited/enough bandwidth with your host provider.

How about a site where anyone can submit a video, you can choose which videos to watch and which ones to help host?

Mediagoblin.

while I'm all for decentralized sharing of media, it's got a long way to go still.

You're confusing decentralization and DDoS/censorship resistance. OP's scheme is the former, but not the latter.

It's still not a good idea, though. Probably 90%+ of people can figure out how to upload a video to Youtube. Probably 10% can figure out how to get a website and upload their video to it, and create a wrapper to OP's specification. And the first time someone with a hosting plan/VPS that has a data cap and added charges for overages has a video go unexpectedly viral and gets slapped with a $1000 charge from their VPS provider, nobody will ever use it again.

Stop stealing my idea My idea is way more developed it just needs to be implemented at this point

How about we start treating videos the same way we treat any other media formats on the web and not something that requires its own platform?

I don't really see much point in doing the former without aiming to achieve the latter, tbh. Moving away from a centralised architecture, increasing complexity without achieving the key benefit of eliminating a single point of failure - increased redundant capability - just seems pointless to me. I guess you could benefit from greater throughput by decentralising and investing in multiple, independent datacentres, each servicing their local area, without adding redundancy. But that's not the model we're talking about here, since in that case ownership would still be centralised.

You mean The Pirate Bay?

BEEFY RIG

That would make too much sense.

Why do you believe that Mediagoblin is supposed to be federated?

Why not just host all the videos through IPFS?