President Donald Trump, Ivanka are unveiling a new federal CS initiatitive with major tech backers

Plus, tech giants like Amazon, Facebook and Google will commit new support to coding education

By Brian Fagioli

President Donald Trump will issue a new directive Monday to supercharge the U.S. government’s support for science, tech, engineering and mathematics, including coding education, as the White House seeks to train workers for high-demand computer-science jobs of the future.

To start, Trump is set to sign a presidential memorandum at the White House later today — a policy, first reported by Recode, that tasks the Department of Education to devote at least $200 million of its grant funds each year to so-called STEM fields.

And on Tuesday, Trump’s daughter and adviser, Ivanka, is expected to head to Detroit, where she will join business leaders for an event unveiling a series of private-sector commitments — from Amazon, Facebook, Google, GM, Quicken Loans, Salesforce and others — meant to boost U.S. coding and computer-science classes and programs, multiple sources confirmed to Recode on Monday.

The exact total of their financial pledges is unclear, and the White House did not provide further details about industry participants on Monday.

On a call with reporters, though, Ivanka Trump stressed the whole of their new campaign aims to ensure “every student across the country, from our rural communities to our inner cities,” has access to tools that can prepare them for digital-minded jobs.

“Given the growing role of technology in American industry,” she continued, “it is vital our students become fluent in coding and computer science, with early exposure to both.”

Trump’s new computer-science campaign builds in some ways on previous work by his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, who sought to boost coding education through initiatives like Computer Science for All. That 2016 effort similarly relied on commitments from nonprofits and tech companies, who pledged to help city and state leaders improve their STEM curricula. But a key piece of the so-called CS for All program — $4 billion in new federal spending — never won approval from Congress.

Obama scored some early wins anyway, but it’s still the case that less than half of all U.S. high schools offer computer science classes, according to an estimate from Code.org, which has worked with both the Obama and Trump administrations on the issue. To that end, Apple chief executive Tim Cook urged Trump to make coding a requirement in public schools when he joined the president and other tech leaders at the White House’s so-called “tech week” this June.

Other urls found in this thread:

recode.net/2017/9/25/16276904/president-donald-trump-ivanka-tech-stem-computer-science-coding-education-amazon-google
virusfreecontent.org
stupidfreecontent.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A month later, Cook and other business leaders, including Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson and Microsoft President Brad Smith, huddled with the Trump administration — including Ivanka — on a private call to discuss ways to rethink federal policy through a tech lens, sources told Recode this week.

But the White House’s announcement nonetheless comes at a perilous moment for tech, corporate America and the Trump presidency.

A month ago, scores of executives, including tech giants, resigned their posts on two councils advising Trump on business and manufacturing issues, citing Trump’s early refusal to blame the violence in Charlottesville, Va., on neo-Nazi demonstrators. More recently, the leaders of Apple, Facebook, Google and Microsoft have openly criticized the president for ending an immigration program known as DACA, which protects children brought to the United States illegally from being deported.

Many of those tech giants are now lobbying the White House and Congress intensely to restore the legal shield for roughly 800,000 beneficiaries, known as Dreamers. And those participating in the White House’s computer-science announcement this week could find themselves under immense, new pressure — particularly from their employees — to use the opportunity to continue trying to advance immigration reform and other, related issues.

Some of the tech giants promising new dollars for coding education came to the table as a result of the Internet Association, the Washington, D.C.-based lobbying voice for the Valley. Other participants include Accenture, Intuit and Pluralsight, an online education company.

In the nation’s capital, meanwhile, the Department of Education is tasked with figuring out how to dedicate at least $200 million in existing funds toward computer science. Part of that mandate includes focusing on coding education programs that target women and minorities, two under-represented groups in tech hubs like Silicon Valley, according to senior administration officials.

Ivanka Trump, for her part, has focused recently on issues like workforce development. “By supporting computer science curriculum in our schools, I hope that all children will have the opportunity to become fluent in this language of the future,” she posted to Instagram in June — along with a photo in which she’s sitting with her daughter, Arabella, learning how to code.

Should everyone learn to code? Or is this all an elaborate scheme to drive programmer's wages down to $7.00 per hour? Let me know in the comments below.

recode.net/2017/9/25/16276904/president-donald-trump-ivanka-tech-stem-computer-science-coding-education-amazon-google

Elaborate scheme n-s-yayy-kun.

You are just bribing trump to lower wages and import more workers while also virtue signalling. All while advertising you are desperate for good coders.
Literaly just post a fucking job description next time. Would have saved alot of time and money.

I like the idea of mintorites that are already here writing shit code versus importing pajeets. However, this is just more wasted tax money.

good, so darnell and tarquesha will get more free gibs displacing whites at the universities while whites continue to be straddled with massive amounts of student loan debt or be forced to be 5 years behind their peers from spending it in the military for the gi bill. this is more affirmative action then anything.

this is the only upside, i'd rather have darnell than mohammad.

so, uh
this is an education initiative?
what will it be teaching?

Why do people always post articles of this Fagioli guy? Are y'all secretly fag-liolis and have some sort of fetish for his fat face or something? I legit missed the origin of this meme.

Fagioli is love. Fagioli is life.

Just tell me: did this originate from him saying something stupid, so people just repost his articles to make fun of him, or is he genuinely some Gabe Newell figure around here? I don't post often enough on this board.

I think its just some forced meme.

Fagoli is a forced meme by the Not Secret Agency to spam stuff on Holla Forums and slide threads. Holla Forums is probably owned by a goon tbh. He stays out of stuff though unless it is extremely incriminating to (((certain persons))). So it's essentially Holla Forums, but replace loli spam with technical talk and honeypots.

This.

On a side note, Holla Forums was up for grabs about a week ago, and yogapig/cuckmonkey wouldn't give it to me.

'Our Fagioli who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done, as in Linux, so in Windows.'

I think Jim is more of a CIA or military asset based on how he talks, and I think he does more good than harm, honestly. He's not trying to trick people or anything; he says straight up if you don't trust him, go to a different chan. But like, dude has kept up Hot Wheels' free speech shtick from all available evidence.

Sorry, I thought you were saying the WEBSITE is probably owned by a goon, my bad. I'm tired.

Was getting caught part of your plan cianigger?

Look, I'm ready for the deep state to be completly flipped upside down any day now, with all of the pedophiles shaken out like a bully trying to get change, but no one can deny that (at least for a time) the CIA hired some smart fucking people. Dudes currently being payed are an issue, but I think Jim is a FORMER something-or-other-alphabet-agency, which just means that he's seen some shit. If he was currently being payed, he would have acted COMPLETELY differently on the Goldwater.

Once a traitor always a traitor, fuck off CIAnigger.

Bruv, read the first sentence of my post, then get back to me.
I'm not talking about dude's personal motivations, or where his allegiances are. You can tell that Facebook is run by an asset, for example, by the RESULTS of what the company does. Regardless of what Zuckecuck claims, or even if no evidence is ever found of this fact, you can tell that Facebook is run by the CIA, end of story.
If Jim was still an asset, this website COULD NOT exist as it does. I mean, for fuck sakes, Holla Forums is responsible for electing Trump. They would have been shut down a LONG time ago if Jim was still taking cheques.

The cianigger has spoken. Jim is confirmed ex cianiggers and controlled kike opposition. But is somehow genuinely for free speech still.
Regardless gas yourself furfag

Aight shill, I've provided you with plenty of arguments. Maybe print them out, study them, and one day, in the far future, you'll be able to do something similar. In the mean time, keep buzzwording your way to victory.

Proofs?

that poster is retarded.

They need to get out REEEEEEEEEEE!!

Holla Forumslution? in my Holla Forums?

It's more likely than you think!

Free PC check.
virusfreecontent.org

Holla Forumslution? in my Holla Forums?

It's more likely than you think!

Free PC check.
stupidfreecontent.org

They're not going to learn computer science, they're going to learn code monkeying. They want to lower the knowledge gap between Americans and Pajeets by bringing Americans down.

There goes our wages.

stop pretending they aren't one and the same

It's because he's a fat fuck and his last name is "Fagioli", which he attempts to pronounce "Fajoli" in videos but we all fucking know is pronounced like the big fat fag he is.

They aren't.

Not if you're LARPing.

This is your problem now.

When programming becomes a widespread skill, major tech companies are going to have their shit kicked in. People who program are much more aware of how shitty software like Windows 10 or Skype is. They will understand that Skype using hundreds of megabytes of memory while you're in a simple text chat is not normal or necessary. They will understand that operating systems are fungible, just like any piece of code, and so that they are not locked into Windows 10 forever. Since most programming tutorials teach you how to make console/command-line programs first, they will also hopefully understand that not everything has to be a GUI. Most importantly - though this is a bit of an idealistic hope - they should be more curious towards the software underlying their devices and more startled by moves to lock it down and prevent them from understanding it.

This is your problem now.

It's looking bleak at times bro. Most people I see treat both hardware and software as an appliance and magic black box most of the time. I don't expect everyone to become a tech wizard since that is not what it's really about. And I'm not against user friendliness and some convenience. But it's the lack of curiosity among more people that makes me think shit is looking not so good at times. Things will probably get worse still before it gets any better.

You're a pretty Black guy..

they're gonna teach them how to use javascript to make an awesome website, so they can make the next skype or facebook or snapchat etc.

Computer Science is about the logical ordering and manipulation of data. The average normie is practically an advanced user if he figures out that his browser has a built in search bar.

I seriously hope this money doesn't go towards mandatory programming classes in public schools of all things

Thats why intel is hard at work making sure nothing but windows will run on their cpu's.

Everything is supply and demand. Once the tech sector is flooded with coders their will be no further need to pay obese neckbeards and latte sipping nu males 6 figure salaries.