Computer Science in uni

Newfag here.

Is uni CS actually a joke or is this just a meme? If it isn't just a meme can someone explain why?

I understand that there are a ton of people falling for the CS=ez$$$ meme or something, and that most of these people end up being incompetent, but does that mean that uni CS has to be brought down to accomodate them? Shouldn't they just be weeded out?

Other urls found in this thread:

pascal-central.com/padvoc.html
wm-help.net/lib/b/book/2520193410/15
acsac.org/2002/papers/classic-multics.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

burger cs is a meme.
europoor cs is breddy gud.

Depends where. Universities that teach only technologies are shit, actual CS is a science so the curriculum is closer to math than to java.

1970s CS was good. In the 80s, they decided to teach C and UNIX which were known to be bad 50 years ago, then they spat in the faces of OO researchers with Java, and now they're looking at destroying a generation of students' brains with JavaScript.

CS is a meme. Do Robotics - in CS they'll teach you C++ for two years and Java for the last.

Are you a burger? Because this isn't true

Why do you keep pushing this meme?
Cancer>▶Anonymous 09/25/17 (Mon) 22:31:13 No.798

Depends on the school. There's two types of CS programs. Ones that pump out java monkeys to compete with pajeets, and another that teaches you everything about how computers work so you can grasp how other languages work.

As you noticed, the later weeds out a lot of people. But from a business standpoint, as a university, you want as many students as possible. Weeding people out is basically lost tuition to these schools. The code monkey CS degrees have been getting more and more popular.

If you're looking at a school, and they're not explaining compilers, CPU architectures, and giving you lots of math, it's a code monkey CS degree and it's a complete waste of time.

It's shit, now. It started going to shit in the '90s when (((college administrators))) realized student debt was at a level that would require a taxpayer bailout so they've been racing to increase tuition and lower barriers to claim as much as they can can before you're forced to pay for it. Students coming out of college even at formerly great schools are now having trouble with fizzbuzzalikes in interviews. This is massively different than it used to be.
To the deluded European in the thread, Northern European schools died from the brain drain caused by the economic collapse you still don't recognize happened. The few schools you still have worth anything (TU Delft, maybe) are using your tax dollars to train the US's employees as no one wants to stay in your Islamic rapehole, your companies all moved to the US, and France and the UK destroyed their tech sectors with labor laws and taxes.

If you put in effort, it's worth it. You can scrape a pass without giving a fuck about programming but that won't do anything for you.
Just make sure you get into a good uni. It doesn't matter whether you get a degree in the US or Europe, if you go to a degree mill you're getting a shit education and a worthless degree.

fixed

Our CS program was dogshit and I'm from EU. It was basically 30% math, 10% filler subjects, 60% old school CS (mostly C++, some C and after that just algorithms, data structures and specific branches of CS that we were free to use whatever language we like most of the time).

The main problem was that we barely touched any specific subject for more than two weeks and we cramed all of it and then dismissed the next week with something completely different. No building foundation, no incremental learning. They literally didn't even teach us version control.

After 3 years, I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Most of the programming I so today, I learned by myself. It was huge waste of time, the only good thing is that I have a piece of paper so corporate HR drones can be impressed by.

Studying CS made me depressed and fat. Right now I am doing some Android app development freelancing and want to get the fuck out of programming and into system administration. I often wish I was doing something more practical for work. Outside in sun, with hands, you know...

I know that feel. Software engineering is horrible, soul crushing, mind draining work, and being a replaceable-by-pajeet code monkey is shit. No matter how many shiny shekels they reward you for it, they're always looking to replace you with Pajeet. And they will replace you with Pajeet and his team of 1000 coworkers in Dehli as soon as they think it's economically viable. Not to mention the havoc it wreaks on your back from sitting nonstop and how fat it makes most people. System administration at least has the capacity to be comfy, especially if you get a Linux job. Because then you can sit on your ass and shitpost half the time and read books or some shit while everything's working smoothly. Software engineers on the other hand get off on having their soul sucked out through their constantly-in earbuds as they try and drown out the entire world around them, shitting out disgusting proprietary dumpsterful of shitware after another until they fill the entire bog. Then they start digging a new bog to fill.

Yes, you don't even learn practical shit. Just make tic tac toe programs.

That's where you are wrong kiddo

I would go on welfare before I "worked in the sun" like a shitskin.

codemonkey detected. pajeet in-bound.

A lot of people here have already said this but here's my take. It really depends on the school and even "good schools" can have really shit programs (I did CS at a "good school" and it was total shit). I think it's more about what you're getting out of it. If you're serious about CS, taking a class or two probably won't hurt you. If you're just going to take some easy JavaScript or Python classes then you'll learn essentially nothing. Most of the course work is exercises and very simple programs (I'd imagine because most people struggle with even this and as has been mentioned colleges are racing to the bottom).
Also if it's a web design or game design degree don't even bother.

So how the fuck is a burger looking for which college to go to supposed to tell the difference between a market-friendly normie-friendly webshit codemonkey meme CS school and a good school for CS?

look at their course descriptions? if it's not mostly math then it's code monkeying. if it is mostly math then it's math monkeying unless you come up with some brilliant new formula as a phd grant sucking begslave.
why would you even go to college in burgerland? it's much cheaper to do it in europe, and you are much less likely to have to take Diversity 101, 102, 203, 207L, 401, 402, 402L, and 410 to get your degree.

Alright, how would you program a basic 5 star rating system that multiple people would use to rate something?

CREATE TABLE vote ( user_id INTEGER REFERENCES user, item_id INTEGER REFERENCES item_id, rating INTEGER, PRIMARY KEY (user_id, item_id), CONSTRAINT rating_range IS CHECK rating > 0 AND rating < 6);SELECT AVG(rating)FROM voteWHERE item_id=;
Such complex maths.

Except a (disproportionate) majority of innovations in computer science have come from the US

lmao idiot

Not in the requirements. Fuck off, customer.

I knew you'd do that, lol. And when someone calls you out on not weighting them you say it's not in the requirements.

Taking average never works. One item with a rating of 5 stars would be one with 1,000,000 ratings and an average of 4.9.

Looks like you need some math :^)

As a burger, CMU, MIT, and most of the UC system are good CS schools. Anything other than those, just ensure they're accredited and get the piece of paper for a resume.

The 'EU' (really, northern Europe) used to do CS class projects as an entire class. Back in 1996 I remember being surprised that a teenage friend from Belgium knew all the ins and outs of CVS. Asked him about it and the entire class as a group had been working on computer vision software under direction of their professor as the project lead and it was run like a real-world software development project. Another from I forget where had been working on voice recognition as a similar class project (maybe working on Festival). This is why European CS education was producing students that could actually /do/ things.
Today though, that's all gone. You get the canned lesson plans and Jewish professors. I'd strongly recommend you dive into a big open source project, one that has layers of bureaucracy and tooling, so you get the practical experience you no longer can get in school. That practical experience, the ability to actually do something, is priceless.

SAY G-N-O TO CIA NIGGERS

samefag

Those are all NSANIGGERS, actually.

To be fair that math still isn't particularly advanced, it's nothing that high school wouldn't have covered. Assuming isn't correct, this is more an issue of spitting out the quickest and most obvious answer to some anonymous faggot on the internet. You did say to make it basic after all.

How would you weight your infallible rating system user?

Professional programmer here who graduated with a CS degree.
Uni CS is a joke in almost every university if you follow the program as-recommended. Most of them offer some good classes you should take, like compilers and algorithms classes, but for the most part, you take a shit-load of terrible language classes that teach you next to nothing. I took an "intermediate-level" C++ class that didn't even touch what a pointer was. I took a senior-level C class, and by the end of the class, more than half the class still didn't know how to separate their own code into multiple files, or how to compile in multiple phases.

Literally everything I do at work, I taught myself or was taught on the job. I wasted several years of my life and am $10K in debt for an education that I barely end up using (my math classes are more useful for my programming than my programming classes were).

So yes, it can be useful, but you have to do a lot of work on your own to make your education work for you. If you expect to just go and get taught useful things, you're going to flush your money away. Also, load up on math classes. That knowledge is absolutely indispensable. From Calculus up, I'm not sure if there's a single thing that I learned that I didn't use professionally at some point.

They attack C because they see it as getting in the way of Rust. Then they attack Unix because Unices are written in C.

The people here attack C because they're in school and are failing their classes in it. Like a pro millenial, if it's hard it must mean the fault lies with the hard thing and not themselves, and they bitch and cry about it.

If you aren't taught C you're going to a shitty school and wasting your money.

kufar as fuck

You are paying for it in taxes you retard. This is even worse because you are supporting academic parasites. Don't fall for Free* College meme.

It's way worse in Europe as their college is subsidized but their economy is shit so they pay to train students so they can land jobs overseas. I don't know why they don't put a stop to it, but then that's Europe, isn't it?

The only relevant computer science classes are the one in the master degree. Most of people that are relevant in the field studied mathematics(or physics) and made a master degree in computer science.

exemple of people who did that:
Bjarne Stroustrup, master degree in mathematics and computer science.
Edsger W. Dijkstra, literally only math and called himself a programmer
Jim blinn, physics degree with ph.d in computer science
dennis ritchie, physics and applied mathematics degree.
Guido van Rossum, master in amthematics and computer science.

any relevant person in theorical computer science had an extremly strong background in mathematics. By making this small list of people, I had trouble to found one personne who had just studied computer science in uni.

CS is all new and fresh. They base their courses on the market. You end up having oracle pushing contracts with alot of uni to make sure you learn the oracle servers, just like microsoft gives you free shit that are forced to most uni. They end up using java for algorithm and data structure classes. windows server in order to learn how to deal with a server. Best of all, linux based on windows with some kind of software that allow you to use unix command in microsoft. There's a fucking class called "linux" in my school in which you use windows 50% of the time.

sorry for shit english, me speaky french.

t. someone who did a mistake

The vast majority of people are not doing revolutionary work that advances the field, but they still go to college. If you are a programmer doing desktop application development, mobile app development, web front or back end development, system automation and orchestration, etc, then you probably shouldn't study math nor the vast majority of computer science subjects.

We should not be watering down college because everybody expects you to have college degree. Businesses don't expect their employees to do math research, so they have wrong way of thinking which only benefits colleges to milk money from stupid people that fall for the scam.

Don't misunderstand me, nothing wrong with being computer scientist, just not everybody needs to be that.

I have a job as c++ programmer and j didn't go to uni. Few people at my work didn't go, most are still in uni or finished it, but they say they wouldn't go if they knew how it really is. Of course all jobs say that they require a degree, but apply anyway, just show them your code. I put my stuff on git and gave them the link, had to be enough since I got the job.

t. Rakeesh

I'm polish

Yea, CS is the little bitch sucking hind tit to Mathematics. Math REALLY IS the religion and language of the Universe. The really "blown away" stuff starts at Linear Algebra and gets better from there!

Silly Rakeesh, pajeets can't be Polish Masterrace!

Is this sarcasm?

It's Schrödinger's sarcasm.

I'd take a lot of mathematics courses. In my university most math majors struggle less on algorithmic or theoretical CS courses than CS majors.
Coding is more of a craft than a science, but the higher paying CS jobs require you to understand more than just good coding practices.
You could also do EE and take CS courses.

that's called post-irony

Take a rope, tie one end to your ceiling fan, and the other to your neck and kill yourself. You are a braindead waste of oxygen.

I'm not Dennis Ritchie or Ken Thompson.

Freshman euro computer engineer here. Lots of math and C along with some electronics. What are my outlooks?

(retches)

I hire slavs for projects literally 100% of the time, they are the best and infinitely better than poo in loos

Intelligent project management tbh

You can't "speak" written Chinese characters, you illiterate nigger. You either speak/understand $DIALECT, or read/write Chinese characters. Also,
Neck yourself

Cantonese butthurt detected

I am "speaking" through my PC right now, so it makes little difference to me.

Mainland population (using simplified characters): 1,300 Million
HK+TW (using traditional characters): 30 Million

Your script is being more irrelevant by the day.

Cantonese butthurt detected

I am "speaking" through my PC right now, so it makes little difference to me.

Mainland population (using simplified characters): 1,300 Million
HK+TW (using traditional characters): 30 Million

Your script is being more irrelevant by the day.

no. you made yourself fat by eating too much shit food. fucking retard. don't try to shift the responsibility like a docile little fucking faggot.

eating healthy is easy and cheap as fuck. the majority of the world does it for under a dollar a day. buy rice, vegetables and fruit.. only eat meat, dairy and junk food on special occasions.

yeah and you'll still be fucking fat when you're a sysadmin and find something else to blame. fatty

It's easy to eat too much when your depressed from wasting your life and money on a CS degree

k fatty. you better go check the oven i think your chikin tendies are ready

where do you think you are

That is obvious. Not shifting blame, but there are usually lots of reasons for something. I was depressed and dedicated most of my time to studying and spare time social drinking (college after all)

I stopped drinking and went on a diet (few months ago). Lost 10 kg, still 10 kg to go for my normal weight. If you care about my health.

I'm currently eating calorie deficit diet (~1600 kcal), mostly of potatos, lentils, a carrot a day, cabbage and nuts (sunflower seeds, small amount of walnuts). 1.50 € per day

Here was eating a bit more fancy, with broccoli, cauliflower and green peas. Broccoli is expensive where I live (based on nutritional stats compared to cabbage, vitamin C and Vitamin K).

death to america

Honestly terrified that my bad habits will catch up to me, but for now I feel bulletproof.

While you fatties are getting heart cancer or whatever I'll be enjoying these french fries and veggie pizza

there are two discrete and distinct chinas

Hahahahahahahahaha. Have you never actually been inside a supermarket or something? High fat, high carb, or high sugar foods are cheap as dirt. Lean proteins and micronutrient rich foods are comparatively expensive.

Enjoy vitamin deficiency you pussy.
You do know vitamin supplements cause cancer, don't you user?

They're really not, you're just being biased towards fatty, starchy food. I doubt you even look in the produce section

If you're vegetarian that's not a problem. Only Vegans have to worry about that retarded shit because Vegans are retards

They really are. But you might be measuring things wrong. When it comes to food costs, since your net energy intake has to remain stable for your weight to remain stable, the correct measurement to focus on is $/1000kJ or similar. Not $/kg or $/lb or some other foolishness.

The only vitamin you cannot get from animal sources is B12. Oh no a spray under a tongue once or twice a day is too much.

Look pic related. Enjoy your hearth attack and stroke at 50.

Forgot to add. And of course you can get vegan source of B12, since it is made by bacteria, but fuck that. Too much work. B12 spray does not cause cancer and it is cheap.

My cigar smoking alcoholic 94 year old grandfather is still kicking, and my great grandfather was old enough to be alive when I was born. I have genetic history on my side, besides I'm not going to waste my time on this miserable fucking rock eating things I don't like. If I die sooner then good, life is pointless.

Oh wow look at my strawman. We should ban statistics becauase of your outlier grandfather.

Congrats if you have good genes. I probably don't. Want to expand my life at least 10 years. Or at least not getting a chronic disease from shit eating at my 50s.

t. brainlet

Why do you think america has such high rates of heart disease yet we are the most wealthy country? Most people around the world just eat fucking rice and vegetables all day. Not everyone can afford burgers and steaks, and they're better off for it.

Don't even try to reason with these fatties. Just like natural selection take its course.

Kill yourself. If bacon is unhealthy why do I feel so good after I eat it?

My point was that I'm probably not going to die of heart disease when I'm 50 . No matter how bad I may want to. So going vegetarian or vegan to live longer isn't a compelling argument for me.
Although, I do commend vegetarians and vegans for making their decisions to better society (vegetables are more efficient to produce then meat, produce less greenhouse gases, etc.).

I wish I had chosen a different career than CS now that I work in that area at an "open office". KILL ME

The meme is that most universities teaching "computer science" are instead teaching software engineering. The other problem is that companies know this but are content to make you pay for a bad education because it make it easier for them to tell who is serious about being a code monkey.

The problem with CS (at least in America) is that what regular people (and even some very educated professionals) think CS is about is very different from what CS actually is and how its handled by institutions.

Parents, prospectives, students, and employers think that CS is about programming. It's not. The vast majority of higher ed institutions treat CS as an extension of mathematics. CS is really just applied math, and the math departments that CS departments generally get placed under view the 'computer' parts of CS as a roadblock for the math.

You can see this in the language choices of these departments. When machines were limited and the level of abstraction the average programmer was working at required them to know how computers actually worked you saw lots of lower level languages. Some departments that were ahead of the times were teaching a LISP dialect but they were too slow to actually get any real work done on them. But now that machines are fast enough, and languages like Python, R, and Matlab have abstracted the business of computing away from the business of doing math, most departments have switched to much higher level languages. Because they don't actually care about stacks, heaps, trees, all that good shit. They care about solving mathematical problems on computers.

If you want to learn how this shit REALLY works, take computer engineering. If you want to program for the rest of your life, take software engineering or something that looks like 'information systems'.

That's because computer science didn't exist. He was arguably the first computer scientist in the Netherlands.
It's silly to use him as an example. A computer scientist from his exact period would necessarily not have a computer science degree.

brainlet

I've been seriously considering the exact same.
At this rate I'll end up becoming a hermit in some cave somewhere.

"可以" means "it is permitted.

For the idea of "can," or "to be able to do" you want "能."

For "know how to" you want "會."

加油!

There is the Republic of China. Then there is the People's Republic of China.

C and C++ are the rebellion against old school CS. Old school CS cared about code quality and error recovery. Ctards were the first Pajeets.

Nigger.

I heard that true programmers know something about 'discrete math'
What is this, and is it fair to say that CS programs that teach this are legit or the other way around?

discrete math is the minimum of math you need in CS. It's kind of a catch all term for the minimum of logic, set theory, graph theory and knowledge of sequences and series you need to computer. It's called discrete math because it deal with discrete numbers i.e. the set of integers, as opposed to continuous functions of the set of real numbers.

my book says this includes the set of all rational numbers
all of this seems like bullshit to me

I don't remember doing anything with rational numbers when I took discrete math, but I suppose you could, since a number being rational just means it can be expressed as an integer divided by an integer.

What about Mathematical Analysis, which I believe Ameriburgers call Calculus, when will I ever need that?

If you ever need to model 3-dimensional space in a somewhat realistic manner.
This is heavily used in classical mechanics.

So I'm basically forced to take a class that will make me waste 300 hours of my life studying something that I won't actually ever use.

It's like you want to be bone and skin.

welcome to the adult world

I find it's the opposite: most universities teach computer science and teach very poor software engineering (which is already pajeet tier code monkeying). They all think C++ is just C with classes, not the powerful high level language it's become. People with PhD's who can program well get real jobs. People with PhD's in CS who can't program well go on to teach.

not only will you not be taught it well as discussed above, but it's also a waste of time that could be better spent learning concepts and maths.

no wonders why there are so many college dropouts

20 year C++ vet here. If you're not using C++ as C with classes (and some extremely simple templates) you're doing it wrong and will only realize that after you've made something large enough to collapse in on itself. The most insidious thing about the language is the problems with many constructs that are easy to use by a novice are not apparent until you are a master.

there are only a handful of universities that offer robotics degrees, though that number is increasing.

and i know of none that offer an online degree in robotics.

but america subsidizes euro economies so really amis paying for euro college

It's your own mistake for thinking CS is IT. Calculus is necessary for any science, even if you don't use it day-to-day you must know it.

This is how for the first few years after university about 10 years ago, but as navigate through my career, I find that all the really good programmers have EE or CS degrees. There are plenty which don't, such as analysts who teach themselves and make the lateral transition, and I've had to mentor some of these transitions. As someone once said, it's like they're "a nigger floating in the ocean; they don't know what's under their own feet". No matter how good a self-taught script ninja is, his lack of rigor on the fundamentals will show itself throughout and always relegate to positions of glorified code monkey.

I guess the shorter answer is, if you just want to write JavaScript for decent money, you don't need to go to university. If you want to become a lead engineer or architect, you will need that degree, and not just for that piece of paper.

Calculus is incredibly useful and once you learn it front to back, it helps your mind model real world phenomenon. It's a vital skill to have as an engineer, and it serves as a valuable weeder too. If Calculus is not easy to the point of being fun for you, at least in the first year, you should thanks the curriculum for outing you as non-programmer material before you committed your life to something you can't do well, and would hate, and would be hated for.

It's practically never used in CS, and the people who do it don't do it in traditional programming languages.

Alright faggots, tell me what I need to do so I don't end up a miserable codemonkey slaving away with a thousand pajeets. My burger college actually has a decent program from what I've read in this thread. I learned JAVAXD my first year, but now they're teaching us computer systems, which includes C and BASH. I like Linux so far, so if I can get a comfy shitposting job like mentions, that would be ideal. What kind of shit should I do in my free time to make me a prime candidate for a job like that?

That's what (((they))) want you to believe.
I know chemists that gave Calculus as last exam before their graduation because they couldn't be bothered to give it earlier, since it wouln't be any beneficial to their study career.

I mean, absolutely, but I feel like I could invest that time in something more useful.
I don't see why an engineer and a scientist should do Mathematical Analysis in a nearly identical manner.

Begging for the RMS copy pasta, uh?

I'm aware that what I'm referring to as Linux is in fact GNU + Linux.

Stop the Jews. It is their plan for you.

So they have a lingua franca to communicate in. Granted, communication between different fields doesn't happen that often.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU + Linux, is in fact, Systemd/GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Systemd plus GNU plus Linux. GNU/Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Systemd system made useful by the Systemd utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Poettering.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Systemd which is widely used today is often called “GNU/Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Systemd system, developed by the Lennart Poettering. There really is a GNU/Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

pascal-central.com/padvoc.html

wm-help.net/lib/b/book/2520193410/15

acsac.org/2002/papers/classic-multics.pdf

I'm a chemist, and I would not have been able to get my bachelor's without at least knowing cal2, and I didn't go to some hardcore school like caltech. I went to a middle of the road burger state school. We used calculus quite a bit. We used it constantly in physical chemistry.

Allen: Oh, yeah. That would have been fine. And, in fact, you need to have something like that, something where experts can really fine-tune without big bottlenecks because those are key problems to solve.

All decent CS curriculums still teach C, at least to start with.

I've been feeling similarly. I don't really feel as sedentary as I could be, I just feel like the idea of sitting in a room waiting for somebody to say something is broken or sitting in a room code monkeying a proprietary piece of shit day after day is welfare-check-tier or in the latter case, slave-tier. I'd rather actually contribute to society in some way. Even my personal projects are more helpful to people, imo. If or when I release them. Of course I am probably just being autistic about my standards for meaningful work. I need money to live, so I really can't complain too much.

Seriously calculus is so fundamental. How will you ever understand the fucking rate of change without it?

They taught me that in Leafcuck Highschool in grade 11. If you're going to university, at least learn analysis. They've probably even got niggers computing derivatives these days.

If you are serious about computer programming, this is your educational career for the next five years: major in electrical engineering, minor/double major in mathematics.

Enjoy.

There's your first mistake

I chose not to.
Pros:
Cons:
The reason I chose not to for the following reasons

Sorry for the blog post

A college near my hometown actually has CS under "liberal arts", so yes.

addendum: I took a c++ course at my local community college and the professor was actually well educated, he would take points off for doing cs-grad-meme-tier shit and made us watch and write a paper on one of Bjarne's lectures so it's really hit or miss I guess

It depends on where you do computer science. If you major computer science at MIT, you will learn serious shit. If you major computer science at your local liberal arts college, then yes, it's probably cancer. Even reputable universities, if they are not reputable for their computer science programs, can give you shit programs. You better do your homework where you're going.

But the side note to all of this is that you can spend that time self-studying computer science and building up a resume of certifications and open source projects you've worked on. It's way the fuck cheaper than a degree and likely to work better than a degree anyway, since they still prefer to see a resume with certifications and programming experience on it than a resume with just a computer science degree. And if you have the former, the latter is meaningless.

Universities have been pozzed since 1968, but you should still go. CS is a good degree, but in my opinion math or physics with some CS classes is better. Whatever you do, I highly recommend taking probability and statistics classes (my major was math but math classes aren't a substitute for stats classes). These are very important for work and for understanding the world.

If you were taught C, your university is shit. The average CS student was able to create languages better than C. Our computers have 1 million times as much RAM and the universities are not even teaching what they could do in the 60s and 70s with 64 KB. C changes your whole mindset around and makes you unable to think.

If you weren't taught C you were tradeschooled for webdev. How can you understand hardware without using anything that is close to 1:1 with it?

Daily reminder that computer science is not a degree in computer programming. The only reason why any programming language is important in computer science is when you're doing a compiler and language design class. When you're not doing that, your language used in computer science is irrelevant.

LARPer detected.
Please get fucked and stop spreading bullshit, programming has been a part of CS since you could store multiple computers in one location for under a million dollars

Daily reminder that it used to be until the Jews got to it and made it postmodern. A CS Grad in the '90s worked on BSD as part of their degree and could easily churn out UNIX software without stackoverflow.

protip: computer science is not a science and it doesn't have anything to do with computers. Computer programming is not the intent or goal of the discipline of computer science.

A CS student in the past would have consulted with their peers to implement their work. Stack Overflow is simply a web forum that's dedicated to that spirit of programming education and discussion.

I'm 40, I got to see all that, and work on BSD. And no, they could actually write code on their own without peer support. I've been involved with hiring for the last 10 years and the decline of what a CS Grad can do has been just unreal. Most of them can do nothing on their own.

If you want to keep up you have to have a passion for it. You have to spend your free time learning new shit. If you don't, you will tread water for a decade or less, and then be replaced by a kid.

Computer scientists of the 60s and 70s built a lot of their own hardware and made their own operating systems and programming languages. C killed the hardware design aspect of CS because the innovative hardware, like bounds checks and segmented memory, wouldn't help C at all. The other problem with C is the mentality that innovation is bad and everything should suck forever. Old computer science was all about innovation and creating new ideas, but not being afraid to keep and revisit old ideas.

This is why these "computer scientists" today can't do what computer scientists in the 60s and 70s did. They can't design a hardware architecture. They can't make a compiler. They can't make a programming language.

Today's "computer scientists" are very ignorant of what was done in the past and they don't seem to be interested. They probably think that since Java is from the 90s and C is from the 70s, and since universities are supposed to only teach good ideas, everything else must have really sucked, and I don't blame them for thinking that.

Well and I thought getting as little math as possible would help me.
I will try to fit statistics classes into my semester.

TL;DR apply yourself and don't be a retard and life will be easy as a cs guy

Even in the '90s we were still doing this in simulation. One of our projects was to design our own general purpose CPU in pspice and then write a compiler for it we had a contest to see who's code was fastest and the faggot that beat me built the entire program as a single opcode which was so bullshit I'm still mad about it. A separate class taught writing Linux device drivers from scratch. CS students get nothing like that anymore.

I'm a recent CS grad and that is something that's still being taught. There were several upper level classes such as compiler design, computer organization and architecture, and even a few courses where we used Lisp for AI applications. My school was a shitty liberal arts college, but even then most people in the Math and CS department were dedicated to their shit and not pozzed garbage.

Yes, but did you get taught it or actually do it? E.g., we really built both the hardware and software of a device we designed, up to the point the next step would just have been fabrication. I've not seen CS students go through that in years. Instead it's mostly theory or writing small segments of a template project.

I'd have to say we did the latter. A lot of what was taught was theory using small projects; we did not build a practical hardware device.

Daily reminder that computer science is inherently theoretical. Applications of computer science (in academia) is only necessary to show a demonstration that the work is good.

Daily reminder that you don't know how to program.

The overwhelming majority of computer science programs are maybe half-decent with a depressing tendency to graduate incompetents. You're typically better off taking computer engineering these days, and I think if you want to work as a programmer you earn a lot more respect if you majored mathematics and minored computer science than if you majored computer science, because math does not graduate incompetent retards and mathematicians are expected to have serious logical and analytical skills, something com-sci majors are short on these days.

If I had to do it over, I'd spend the 6 years I spent in college working on a real project instead.

True, but without advanced math skills you can never do any of the most advanced stuff, ever.

Also CS is NOT programming.

This is good advise tbh.

You should spend the first two years on projects and the next 4 years working and climbing up the programing ladder. By the time your 6 years are up, your work experience will net you much, much better pay than any idiot who graduated com-sci. Plus school leaves you in debt while work makes you money.

This is absolutely retarded. Computer science is a degree in applied maths and not a degree in programming. Any cs grad who cannot work through maths logic is a failed grad.