>My Experience With Solus Budgie.gts

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/36547/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8200-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=0c0b2b984a7aff83e4f587e8b88d0df05cf94604&f=Solus-3-Budgie.iso.torrent&key=6c2d037a
solus-project.com/download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

...and it's done. Going back To Linux Mint.

No matter what other OS I try, despite Linux Mint Cinnamon's faults, all the others are shit (and yes I've tried every other DE for Cinnamon and many variations of Ubuntu and Fedora and a bunch of other random linus OS even Zorin OS).

>>>/reddit/

*slap slap*

If your OS can't even boot after being installed to a USB like any other OS, then it's shit, deal with it.

I don't think you'll be able to contribute any meaningful content to this board, based on what you have presented in this OP.

Leave Holla Forums and Install Gentoo.

Computers are about logic, nigger. Not for you, find another hobby.

You don't have to use torrent to download Solus.

How incompetent can you be that you can't even burn ISO to USB stick and boot it.

dd has always worked perfectly and if you are on Windows host then Rufus in DD mode works too.

this

Why would you even try to install this? Their website looks like pure cancer and nothing about their OS looks unique or interesting.

It is basically just werks stable rolling release distro with almost always newest packages. Good defaults, fast booting, packages build with optimizations for 64bit since Solus doesn't support 32 bit architecture (I think).

The only downside is that Solus has small package availability since it is a new distribution.

You won't get all those cool magical powers from the cauduceus, if you don't learn to season the mercurial waves of your mind and strive more fiercely when you put your will into something, you fucking Profanus.

literally reddit

Solus Budgie version was having problems booting up in my test machine. Might have been a fucked installation, I tried at least 3 reinstalls, same booting problems. Maybe it was the install media, maybe the test rig itself, all I know is I can not get it to reliably boot. A shame since when it did work, it's not bad at all and it's noob friendly enough to get more people into loonix.

Well, this is probably not the same case, but I also had booting problem, that I had to wait ~20 seconds for Solus to even boot. The problem was Intel VT-d feature, after disabling that in bios, there were no more problems.

I might doublecheck later, but offhand the computer I was using to try it with might not even have that feature. Unless I misunderstood something and it actually does have it in the BIOS.
ark.intel.com/products/36547/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8200-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

If you just want the Budgie experience and Solus isn't booting for you, try Ubuntu Budgie Remix. It's slightly less polished but works just fine.
If you want to try Solus again, check your boot arguments. I had a Linux distro that was locked to 1024x768 no matter what I did, and it turned out to be because of a boot code.

Don't give him your loosh!

I have successfully installed every other linux OS I've tried and I've gone through like 20 or 30 with no problems.

The fact the idiots putting together Solus Budgie can't even provide a proper ISO that writes to the thumbstick and boots like normal and forces me to have to go through a ton of bullshit finding some alternative way to make it work means it's a shit OS for masochists.

I have done exactly this with Ubuntu (Gnome and Studio and the default one), Zorin, Fedora, Linux Mint (Cinnamon, XFCE, Mate, etc.) and many other OS.

I'm not fucking stupid. I did the exact same thing I did for any other OS but Solus Budgie did not boot.

I don't even have a Windows computer available and have been exclusively on linux for about a half decade so fuck your Windjews crap.

Some memelord on here recommended it to me and I wanted to humor him by trying it out on my computer that I keep doing experiments on and changing the OS every month that's why.

Their site is disorganized and full of broken links and when I look up booting issues it's not just me, the tards putting together Solus Budgie can't even get it to boot when doing it the normal way that works for any other linux distro.

Yes you do because they have non-Torrent links to download but those links are all BROKEN (at least when I tried, if they fix it since then, then that's another story but their fucking non-torrent links were dead).

Do a video of you installing Solus Budgie.

Here are the exact steps I did, I didn't follow a tutorial as I know off by heart how to do this, but this is what I did:

1. Download the torrent: linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=0c0b2b984a7aff83e4f587e8b88d0df05cf94604&f=Solus-3-Budgie.iso.torrent&key=6c2d037a ( see also: solus-project.com/download/ )
2. Insert a thumbstick (mine is a 64 GB DataTraveller thumbstick) with sufficient space into a USB port on your computers.
3. Run "USB Stick Formatter" in Linux Mint and format your thumbstick as Fat 32.
4. Run "USB Image Writer" and browse to the iso you downloaded, in this case Solus-3-Budgie.iso, and write it onto the stick.
5. Wait until it's done, dismiss the dialog, and pull your stick out.
6. Go to your computer you want to install the OS on, power it off, and plug the thumbstick in.
7. Turn on the computer and as it's booting up press F12 to access the boot menu (this is for my dell computer, many other computers are also F12, but sometimes it's a different key; look up the model of your computer to know how to enter the boot menu) or F2 to get into the BIOS but we don't need to do that now.
8. After having entered the boot menu, a couple options show up, one will be your thumbstick, one will be the OS currently on your computer, and any other options will probably be other OS you have either partitioned on you drive or on various connected external hard-drives which have their own OS on them (that is my case). Select the thumbstick you're using to boot the OS.
9. Since it's Solus Budgie, instead of booting up, some error diagnostic thing comes up and it fails to start.
10. Take your thumbstick out, redo this whole process with an actually functional OS in this case Linux Mint Cinnamon, and this time have no problems at all to boot.
11. Get on Holla Forums and make shitpost thread about how Solus Budgie can't even boot using a method that works for ANY other linux OS -- it's that shit.

True fact I shared my password for Linux Mint's website with my Steam account.

Someone hacked the linux mint site and got all the passwords.

Later on their was successful attempt by Russian IP to login to my Steam account.

I then changed my Steam account password to a new one and no more problems.

Thanks to Linux Mint being shit with security I nearly lost my Steam account to Russian hackers (or at least hackers using Russian IPs heh).

Why would you do that.

As hacker bait tbh. I didn't have anything of value there and I like to let things be vulnerable and open sometimes to see if I can catch some of my enemies when they break in if they fuck up and leave a trace.

I could have just changed the password right away for my Steam account on the same day I got the news about the forum hack and immediately changed it for my linux mint forum account.

Curious; what do you think of any programs that use a master key and manage all your passwords? I've never used one and just spontaneously produce in my mind long strings of randomized characters and then memorize it and use that as my password without ever writing it down anywhere.

Checking Get:

So instead of posting the error so we can see what is worng, you rather posted a rant. Wow so useful. It is possible Solus made a mistake, so I would be useful to know what went wrong.

Burn ISO with dd. I always burn Linux distro ISO this way and it always works.

sudo dd bs=4M if=path/to/iso/file.iso of=/dev/sdX

Change the sdX to appropriate name. sda / sdb / sdc...

Get this name from disk manager or just simple command: lsblk (watch for correct size in your case 64 GB)

The Linux Mint Forum didn't even use TLS for secure password entry last time I checked. Passwords were transmitted in plain text. Any idiot could hack that.
Also, if you use apt or apt-get on the commandline a lot to install packages, it breaks Mint, because of some screwy way they have their repos set up.
I always just tell Linux n00bs to start with Ubuntu.