RTD Nostalgia Thread

RTD did nothing wrong. His era was pure kino, every single second of it. Everything this based son of bitch touches turns to gold.

HEAR ME OH GREAT SHOWRUNNER
I CAST ASIDE ALL FALSE GODS TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTAR OF RUSS
POZ MY NEGHOLE PLS

Other urls found in this thread:

oddschecker.com/tv/doctor-who/next-doctor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who?

Torchwood Season 1 was great, then it became a bit too gay. Still the only good Who spinoff though. His Who stuff was pretty great. The characters actually felt like people, the plots didn't over-rely on faux-scary haunted house shit like Moffat's done a few times and the Doctor was grounded, not just le wacky space man.

In terms of each season, he had a tendency to always do Dalek two-parters, which got a bit old. Still enjoyable though. Much better than Moffat's failed Pure Daleks reboot. Loved the overarching themes leading to the finale each time too. Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Mr Saxon. Again, something Moffat tried unsuccessfully to replicate with his shitty wall crack and silence will fall. RTD also liked to do his own thing, and not get too steeped in continuity, whilst Moffat felt free to rape the past with massive retcons like the War Doctor & Clara being everywhere, and liked to randomly age the Doctor by a couple of centuries/invoke the pre-RTD era in shallow attempts to give a sense of gravitas.

Okay but let's be real for a second. What episodes were actually bad in Series 1-4 of NuWho?

The Unquiet Dead (Mark Gatiss)
The Idiot's Lantern (Mark Gatiss)
The Long Game (RTD)
Love and Monsters (RTD)
School Reunion (Toby Whithouse)
Fear Her (Matthew Graham)
42 (Chris Chibnall)

The shit episodes were scarce and a result of trash writers like Gatiss to be quite honest. You can see their corrosive influence bleed through the screen.

Torchwood Series 2 was an improvement. The first series was much too silly and it showed that it was originally supposed to be a fantasy series like Grimm with shit like the resurrection gauntlets and the fairies. Neither stand up to Children of Earth which is one of the best pieces of science-fiction ever made. I also really liked Miracle Day but they could've trimmed the fat a bit.

And the overarching themes didn't work in Moffat era Who because it was literally what OC tier shit. The Pandorica and the silence and madame kovarian were all complete asspulls that didn't have weight like the Dalek Emperor, The Master or Davros. It shows that Moffat wants to write fanfiction rather than use what's already there. Why have three two-parters with Missy the genderbent Master when you could bring back the Rani? Oh wait because Moffat is a shitty hack fraud who ruined the show.

I wouldn't go quite that far…
But RTD was undeniably much, much better

This was definitely true in the Ecclestone and early Tennant days. Although around 2008 Tennant became a sort of God almost.
The one thing I'll give Moffat credit for is exploring new creatures like the Silence. But RTD did a much better job
RTD was much more subtle, and there was a big payoff at the end. Moffat on the other hand was all 'LOOK! CLUE!' and then it was all basically for nothing because the ending of the arc was shit. All the 'silence will fall' shit just turned out to be a shitty question that was never resolved anyway. fucking hell
This pissed me off hugely. His spamming of Clara into the Doctor's past made me furious. I wouldn't have minded the War Doctor so much if he hand;ed it better, but even that was unnecessary. The random aging showed lack of consistency too. 9 and 10 together seemed to encompass just a couple of years, meanwhile 11 ages 200 years for no good reason and still looks as young as ever. Then ages even more in Name of the Doctor but clearly at a different rate to previously.

Moffat is why fans of the show shouldn't necessarily be in charge of the show

Later seasons of Torchwood were good, Children of Earth had great Capaldi performance, but too much gay stuff. Especially Miracle Day. Agree with pretty much everything else except I didn't really like Midnight either. Did you enjoy Gatiss being a monster in The Lazarus Experiment?

Even most of those episodes were at least watchable as part of a overall enjoyable series. All the others are good at least, and more than a few are kino.
Gatiss is a better actor than he is a writer tbh

It's why having fanboys write the series isn't always great. Nothing wrong with introducing new stuff but hinging the whole plot of the show on literally who villains is shit tier when there are already suitable villains available.
Although that said, blatant appeals to the past by bringing back stuff from the classic series is also shit tier because it shows that they're out of good ideas.

The whole over extended 5+ episodes about the tardis exploding and Trenzalore i've pretty much wiped it was just that pointless and shit. Didn't they make Rose a dalek superweapon ghost friend too?

He was fine in The Lazarus Experiment. He's just an awful writer. And I thought Midnight was one of the best episodes of NuWho to be honest but it's experimental so I can see why people would take issue with it.

I don't like when they bring back classic foes and do nothing with them. Age of Steel and Rise of the Cybermen were good because they actually used the cybermen. Whereas in Dark Water, Death in Heaven and the most recent episodes, they were pretty much just disposable goons for Missy.

That was the most annoying self-advertising ever. I've hated every second of it.
John Simm showed to us in the last episode of this season, that he can be a great Master, but the way he acted and looked during the Tennant-era was horrible. I hated him too.

That is a pretty funny episode. I like it.
The monster and the transformation of the Doctor were great in that.

The only Master that had real weight was Derek Jacobi…

Episodes like Knock Knock or Extremis say otehrwise. They do have good ideas, but those are irrelevant to the big main plots, which are mostly boring.

Something like this happened, yeah…

The most infurating thing was how they only gave us 1 lousy Dalek in Season 10, and that was in Episode 1, and it was killed instantly…

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They completely wasted Billie Piper's return in the 50th by making her some 'conscience' for a weapon of mass destruction. Bullshit tbh

The Cybermen in particular have been wasted. Moffat's tried to redesign them and a lot of other creatures at the same time but it doesn't work.

This
But John Simm had potential, he wasted it by acting like a hyper crazy toddler though

I didn't watch past series 8. Even the better episodes in that series were pretty shit and felt 'off' to me.

On a tangentially related note, Billie Piper was pretty attractive in New Earth. I am genuinely turned on by her Cassandra voice.

Yeah I was kind of reaching to find poor episodes. I really liked Series 1-4. Fear Her and Love and Monsters are the only truly awful episodes and even they are on par with Moffatshit.

Knock Knock was okay but the cgi on the aliens spun me out, the fucking Slitheen were better digitized 12 years ago. Hated the Monks trilogy, three episodes for one to two episodes worth of content. Extremis and Pyramid at the End of the World should've been compressed into one episode. I thought Smile was good this series, and Oxygen if they didn't cram communist shit in at the end for absolutely no reason.

Fuck knows what they are doing with the Daleks next. First there was the New Dalek Paradigm which they gave up on, then the Dalek parliament, then Davros came back unexplained with Daleks of every size shape and variety. They have no fucking clue what they are doing.

Under the Lake
Before the Flood
Heaven Sent
Hell Bent
Smile
Oxygen

Those are the worthwhile episodes of Series 9/10 if you wanted to catch up for Series 11. In terms of continuity the Doctor is not the hybrid that will destroy Gallifrey, the Doctor was shot by a cyberman is undergoing regeneration, Missy shot the Master in effect killing himself

That was RTD's idea not his.

Agreed. How did RTD get away with it?

Billie Piper was always sexy but that episode was particularly spicy

wtf that doesn't make sense
Honestly I've decided to disown Doctor Who post-2010. The continuity is too fucked up and the writing too bad. I hope we get a reboot.

RTD wasn't perfect by any stretch, I'm not OP.

They could get away with a soft reboot. Series 5-10 was basically a different show so don't see why Chibnall couldn't change it again. Remember that Chibnall did Torchwood so he is probably invested in RTD era canon despite doing his shit episodes. We might get Captain Jack back who hasn't been seen for SIX FUCKING SERIES

Beyond just declaring everything post-2010 to be non-canon this is the next best thing
I don't really know what to expect from Chibnall though, the show's already changed so much, it's unrecognisable from the RTD days now.

Similar thing happened before Capaldi was announced. I don't think he wqs even on the list. It's all media bullshit conjecture. Fake news, you might say.

fuck off tumblr

Tumblr co-opted Who. Most of them unironically like Moffat shit. Tumblr didn't even exist when the first few RTD series aired.

Correct.

I think the RTD era was good because I was ten when I saw it
t. you

It's cool. Not everyone can handle being
DAVIESED

Can confirm it's Most Serene Republic of Dalek, followed by the Alt-Daleks finishing up with the season finale when the Daleks threaten the very fabric of fiction with the Dalek Ultimate Hellfire Burst Wavemotion Deathcannon.

If Idris Elba becomes the Doctor I will actually an hero

Nah, it's Jodie Whittaker.

oddschecker.com/tv/doctor-who/next-doctor