Current Year costumes

As comics are slowly starting to get out of it's social justice phase, what with DC Rebirth underway and Marvel recently announcing they're planning on being less political, a lot of the Current Year costumes are no doubt going to be reverted too.

A character changing their costume either to fit alongside a social justice narrative or just to generally ring in a new era is usually met with chagrin, but I have an honest question. Were any of them good to begin with or even better than the original?

Of fucking course they changed her costume to be like the show. I never liked Elektra anyway.

More on topic, I don't really think there was a good suit change that was made because of SJW narrative pushing. Plenty of good ones that are just new updates on previous looks. I liked Moon Knight's new personality as Mr. Knight.

I think Mr. Knight was the most stand out one to me. I'm not too familiar on Moon Knight, so take this as a lame opinion, but regular Moon Knight seemed kinda generic to me. I much prefer the suit.

Not really, no. They all looked too generic, like dancer bodysuits that are too baggy.

Eh, its alright

Are you out of your mind? The big 2 aren't going to stop with that any time soon, DC is just doing it in a way that's good. There have been popular minority and female characters for years, because they don't just give them a new book and plaster "#1" or "IT ALL STARTS HERE" on it. You need to introduce them in other books, and then if they're popular enough give them their own thing. The only character I can think of that DC has done the "#1" thing with is Kenan Kong, and he's been pretty popular so far because they're characterizing him. And that's all characters really need. You just have to want to buy the next issue because you're invested in the story.

But that said, why do you care about this? There will always be bad books, just don't read them. If one of the big 2 is making only shit, then just don't read any of their books. DC was doing it from 2011 to 2016, and now it looks like it's marvel's turn to take a little vacation in the garbage. It's a colossal waste of time to spend hours of your life bitching about bad comics that you pirate.

You can also expect to be disappointed if you think any comic book company is going to start pandering to the right just because Trump won. It's just not going to happen.

Agreed and that's coming from someone who likes Moon Knight's regular look.

It's really one of the few costume redesigns that comes to mind that I like. It's by no means amazing though.

Bad redesign thread? Can't miss the chance to insult this abomination.

This was from 2010, yet already looks decades out of date. It's particularly bad if you compare it to the costume she's had since her debut in the early 80s (pic 2), which still works with only minor alterations (pic 3).

Learn to read, he's talking modern day redesigns.

Fuck, that shit tugs at my autism.

Also:

And before a fellow autist starts carping at me about Alex's white suit, I was talking about when he's all gravved up. Besides, the white represents the paper it's all printed on.

We will never get fun like that again. I remember when DoA costumes were banned in tournaments because they were distracting.

Isn't that changed just to fit with the netflix series?

What's that about? Is that Fu Manchu?

I can't fucking wait for Black Cat to actually have tits again.

It's the reveal at the end of the most recent new-superman. It was a 10/10 homage.

Why is Strider the new Elektra?

How do you guys feel about this Punisher outfit? I kind of like how the skull emblem is made thru his pouches and armor.

To me the worst current year design Marvel has shat out has to be Spider Woman.

Her costume was so great and iconic, then SJW cried over that variant cover and Marvel changed her costume.

I never liked her original costume, but her new one is still bad. It's like some cosplayer's attempt to make a spider-themed outfit out of whatever ordinary clothes she happened to be able to buy.

You're not reading comics, are you?
Every year they "stop with the SocJus". And yet when you read the comics, you see that they're doubling down just as hard as they ever were.

But surely they mean it this time!

Surely he's joking, surely he's not being this retard-
Well at least I don't have to guess anymore.

Well, that sounds shit. But the overall design is kind of what I'd like from Punisher. He looks like a tacticool innawoods guy, or a prepper.

The aviators could lead to some really great moments, too. I also like the idea of attempting realism in his weapons and gadgets, even if they fuck that up. We'll have to ask /k/ when it's out.

The biggest problem I can see is that he won't have a distinctive silhouette any more, and for me that's what you need from a comic character. Ideally with no context, you should be able to see the outline of a character (with some minor detailing perhaps) and immediately recognise them.

No this happened already in the first Marvel NOW stuff.

Was it any good?

Is this a troll post?

Regardless, I'll bite. All of their new non-white characters are done really well. They're introduced in other books as side characters so people can get used to them. That's the biggest problem with marvel's SJW approach - people don't like their replacement characters because they don't know them. Any characterization they have is just superficial, wheras Kenan has gone through significant development in only 8 issues.

The only exceptions I can think of for this are Black Wally and Not-Robin. Black Wally's kind of fun now that he isn't an edgy kid who grew up on the streets anymore, and they brought back real Wally, so I think he should get a pass. But Duke has no character.

You clearly don't know that though since you haven't been reading rebirth.

Eh… it was okay. Lot of errors in the art. Which was the weakest part. But Frank is drawn real well. Worth a look online. Avoid the series after it. Also the ending coincides with the Secret Wars crap as the world ends. Just so you don't get confused by the ending.

That's complete bullshit.

Were you molested by Dan Didio when you were younger or something?

I just wish DC would get rid of Barbara's horrible hipster outfit.

Agreed. I hate to say it but the costume they used for the New 52 when it first started was good.

I like black wally now that I know real Wally is back. Ginger, happy go lucky Wally West is my Wally and always will be.

Agreed.

I want the black Batsuit, and yellow boots back. She was a badass then (including the first part of Nu52) and I think she can be recovered in the future.

Didn't Punisher team up with some Marines to fight terrorists in that run?

It's sad current year Marvel can't do that story.

As for the costume itself, the colored mag pouches for skull teeth is neat, but I'll have to see it from an angle other than straight on before I can if it works. Stacking mags like that there hurts the ability to go prone (It's why SMERSH and ALICE were suspender based. Modern stuff only isn't because you have to have a plate carrier for armor anyways)

Kneepads, particularly built in ones so they don't go sliding around, and trigger discipline do say the artist has a semblance of what he's doing, unlike the CURRENT YEAR costume designers who think a leather jacket is good athletic wear.

In the run he was captured and sold off to a Cartel. They tortured him then threw him into a jail with a captured marine. They planned things out and made their escape.

Frank stayed behind to draw the Cartel and Crossbones (who showed up to collect Frank for other employers) away from them. It later showed that one of the marines wears a Punisher patch on his uniform while in the Middle East.

Sounds badass I'll go check it out.

I actually don't think Ms. Marvel's new outfit is terrible.

I will say that the dyke cut was fucking horrendous, though. But the outfit? It's not too bad.

'Good' is probably a bit much. I think it would be fine if Ms. Marvel hadn't only been covered up cause muh oversexualization. But design-wise? I've seen a lot worse in the form of Spider-Woman and others.

I don't think SMERSH was ever a personal load carrying… thing.
I know this because I used to be a /k/ fag.

I kinda like it because it still looks like some Silver Agey superhero. The problem is when they really make it so it's easier to cosplay.

err, this is not happening

I can't not see her as a prego anymore.
She's ruined forever IN MY MIND!!!

no, fuck you they are all shit

Hi Holla Forums how's it going?

Duke sucks but black Wally is pretty good.

I don't see it. Black Wally is just black kid with barely the same wit or charm as old Wally. He's not bad. Just bland and pointless.

maybe you could provide us with an example of a good colored character introduced recently by dc?

I will be honest, i am just really mad about what they did to dr. fate. From proud man with cute tsundere wife fighting germans, monsters and having probably the best costume design to limp wristed sandnigger, whose books are completly plain and uninteresting
somebody should backstab this faggot offscrean

Cyborg as a league member.

thats a huge stretch and you know it.

Black Bolts new outfit sucks. Its needlessly overcomplicated.

Oh, you know, when you're the demoted cuck king of a race of imaginary mutant freaks, you need to have the most practical outfit with which to channel the electromagnetic energy that's channeled from the tiny tuning fork upon your brow.

Still don't understand why they didn't use Black Lighting.

This style of rig. Likely isn't the original name

Nobody cares about Black Lightning. They should have just used John Stewart

The entire age with the Power Pack kids and their age is fucked. Alex is college age or a college graduate or something but doesn't seem like it. Julie was 17 during the Loners mini, then I think slightly older (like 18 or 19) during Avengers Academy. Then there was a canon Power Pack story during Civil War II that said she was 16.

Retcons and messy continuity.

John Stewart has multiple Green Lanterns before him.

Black Lightning really makes the most sense when he's portrayed as at least slightly older than Superman/Batman's adventures. Early 30s instead of mid 20s goes a long way to selling him as a teacher with history as an athlete (and explains some his dated stuff).

Yes. The worse part of these types of designs is you just know Marvel wanted it designed in a way that they think will work on film. Except, production team never go with their stupid ideas. This is a set pic of Black Bolt in the upcoming Inhumans TV show. There might be a mask, but there's trace of this shit design.

Honestly that looks bland in comparison to the shitty comic design. Not sure which is worse.

But he's known. Black Lightning is not only completely bland but completely unknown to normalfags.

And Blade wasn't?
If the execution is good, it makes everything else work.

Nobody even knew Blade was a fucking comic book movie. That's how well Blade did at getting people to buy fucking books, which is the point of rebooting the whole DC continuity to begin with. To get people to buy comic books.

Cyborg is known to normal people, John Stewart is known to normal people. Black Lightning is not.

Ahem. Only people who watch Teen Titans know who Cyborg is.
Normies could care less about John Stewart. If you're lucky and they read comics when they were a kid they might be surprised "Green Lantern is black now?".

Before the current wave of movies, the only heroes normies could recognise were Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spider-Man, and The Hulk. If you're lucky, Captain Marvel and The Phantom.

Wolverine and Spider-Man were pretty well recognized. Especially Spider-Man.

X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Aquaman, and Flash were all more popular than them before movies came. Most normalfags that were familiar with Phantom and Captain Marvel more than X-Men are now in their sixties.

People know who Black Lightning is, they just think he's called Black Vulcan.

that design is shit and I can't even tell it's a shitskin

…because it is? It's the original Captain Marvel with the colors flopped and a sash instead of underoos. Oh, and a bit more detail, because we aren't in the age of CMYK anymore.

I like it ok, it makes more sense for the character. However I was really unhappy in Daredevil S2 where the armor he uses is obviously designed specifically to be colored in with the punisher skull. Hopefully they nix that.

Bland is infinitely worse in my eyes. It's a sign of either trying to pretend you aren't a comic book story, or shows a complete lack of imagination.

At least try not making your posts sound the same ya fuckin dum-dum

Where's my "menacing french techno" scored Punisher

People barely remember Super Friends. Aside from Geoff Johns, which is probably Cyborg is on the Justice League in the first place.

Nobody read Green Lantern as a kid. Over here in England my mum and and my uncle would read Batman, Superman and Spider-Man but never Green Lantern. Most of the people I've talked to who even know Green Lantern are convinced he's black because of Justice League and were most likely surprised by the terrible Ryan Reynolds film.

You and I know that but normal people don't