Is is a good idea to get involved with Rust?

Hi, Holla Forums.

After years and years of webdev I've decided that I need a change of pace. This time I want to manage memory myself like all other big boys. As a web developer I've naturally searched for newest, hottest tech and discovered rust.

On one side it has a lower barrier to entry than C++ - it's smaller, doesn't suffer from having several standards and probably has a vision behind its design.

But on the other its community seems to have a bit of SJW infestation and that's not something I want to deal with in open-source project. It's even worse because their crate infrastructure is centralized and managed by same people.

So how bad is it? Should I expect to see Rust project going down the drain in a couple of years because of political grandstanding?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language)
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw
doc.crates.io/source-replacement.html
google.com/search?q="steve klabnik"&num=100&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
port70.net/~nsz/c/c89/c89-draft.html
doc.rust-lang.org/reference/
jsoftware.com/papers/APLDictionary.htm
people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tl;dr, no

kys

I know I should. Just need a critical amount of segmentation fault errors to muster the bravery.

I've wondered about something similar myself, seems like a hard call. The idea seems good, the implementation is controversial, the community is cancer.

All in all the two negatives does that I'm holding off on Rust. I'd say go with something else and give it a couple of years to see if it crashes.

yeah it's bretty good

It's about fucking time.
> As a web developer I've naturally searched for newest, hottest tech
AKA trash
AKA SJW trash
it's totally SJW don't go further than that.
It's simple every project that's has a COC is either manipulated or leaded by SJWs.
If you want something that has similar objectives to rust try D.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(programming_language)
Otherwise if you want to learn non-webdev programing, SICP is a must.
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
Remember that SJW ideology is insidious.
It comes with good intentions and nice looking people but will use despicable ways and totalitarian power to BTFO anyone who opposed them.
The SJW ideology is very close to cultist behavior see:
youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw

Good luck user.

Those can't be used in boipuccies, can they?

not true: doc.crates.io/source-replacement.html

d is not really an alternative to rust. rust achieves memory safety without gc.

i forgot my trip xDDDDDD

C has an even lower barrier to entry. C has the lowest barriers to entry. C is very mature, it's simple, and it's the best for systems programming. If you want to become something other than a pajeet street-shitter webdev: you will learn C, you will learn data structures, and you will learn algorithm design. If you don't walk out of 1 to 2 years of self study knowing why O(lg(n)) is better than O(n), O(n^k), and O(2^n) then I don't know you must have went to Depression Quest University or something.

Dude are you for real? You have to be trolling and using this guy's name. If this really is you, cut that shit out before you become the next /cow/.
google.com/search?q="steve klabnik"&num=100&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

c is not simple. c is a total clusterfuck of bad design decisions.

Kids these days, coming onto my imageboard not knowing my imageboard culture. No wonder suicides are up, bunch of retards can't help but be bully-bait!

C is a stack and pointer machine in language form. Its simplicity allows one much freedom, including the freedom to creative blow one's foot off.

s/creative/creatively

kys

port70.net/~nsz/c/c89/c89-draft.html
ok i just read the spec and wow. c is so simple and just woooow. im blown away by its minimal design.
im a #cmissile now

C is absolutely fine, but I doubt that there is a way to be productive outside of certain domains like driver development.

The fact that you can read the spec in a sitting is proof that it is pretty minimalist.

doc.rust-lang.org/reference/
wooooooow. i can read it in s single sitting. how minimalistic.
im a #rustmissile now

jsoftware.com/papers/APLDictionary.htm
actually after reading this, im a #aplmissile now

C is not minimalist. Oberon is minimalist.
people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf

Thanks everyone. After reading arguments in this thread I've decided to go with C++ (and check if D is viable).

Not really. C++ has a longer slope before you can master it, but rust hits you immediately with its shitty "borrow checker".

Beyond "muh safety muh safety, i need muh safe-space mommy", not really.

only brainlet pajeets don't understand Rust

Pajeets and feminists teamed up to make Rust because they couldn't understand C.

Oberon is nowhere near minimalist. It was just another shitty Pascal.

Nobody can understand C because the design makes no sense. C standards keep growing because the older standards are so poorly specified.
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf

C makes sense to the people who should be using C. The standards are large because of the problem they're trying to solve: a portable assembly language. There haven't been a lot of major wrong turns with it, either. Other than for some "it was considered good at the time" stuff, the wide character functions are the only large chunk that was just total dogshit.

that's a parroted meme that was never true until 20 years after it was invented. kys LARPer

This is why Holla Forums is shit.

Holla Forums - A place where everyone is a professional embedded software developer

Is such a culture even desired by you or anyone else? Shouldn't intelligent conversations be carried to grow as a community instead of making pointless comments?

Well, I for one am.

My problem domain has performance first and safety reasonably as a third or fourth most important thing. What you want is of no consequence and if you cant see this perhaps you should submit to your own kys memes.

I actually am. I do networking. I know there's at least one other user here that does low level development in industry as I've run into him in threads before. And there's C64 user, too.

The selling point of Rust is that is that you get memory safety without GC. However, it takes a while to get used to. Programming celebrity Eric S Raymond found Go far easier to get started with than Rust.

No. Just use it.

Yeah, nah.