Why the fuck has character design become so lazy?

Why the fuck has character design become so lazy?

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/discord-raises-20m-for-voice-comm-app-for-multiplayer-mobile-games/
discordapp.com/tos
discordapp.com/privacy
google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy
store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
store.steampowered.com/privacy_agreement/
google.com/chrome/browser/privacy/eula_text.html
google.com/policies/privacy/
krita.org/en/
corel.com/en/eula/
corel.com/en/corel-privacy-policy/
directory.fsf.org/wiki/GIMP
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Krita
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Inkscape
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Blender
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Scribus
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Synfig_Studio
youtube.com/watch?v=7WKAmPBgn28
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6JFG5YKMY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar
avast.com/eula
avast.com/en-us/privacy-policy
quitter.im/wikileaks
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jews.

It hasn't.
From the Character Sheet to the actual animation it looses complexity to make the episodes faster, but the actual character sheets are usually more detailed than the final product.

bugs bunny is homogay

thats great, i want to fuck bugs bunny right in that fluffy white bunny ass

Worst thread of 2017 so far.

and hipsters

Let's shift focus - character sheet thread?

Shouldn't the character sheet be exactly what they're going to animate?

A generation raised on participation trophies, and the idiom "Everyone is special".

Sure.

Yes.
CalArts still teaches to draw pretty good, if you actually convince a CalArts graduate to draw with all his effort then he'll draw pretty good, but companies don't want this, they want the "Fast Drawing" mode so an experienced or well taught drawfag instead of usually spending 5 hours drawing a scene (at full focus on the work) they can draw around 2 pages, even more if they already got a script or director.

I don't even know why they're releasing comics monthly, with the lazy ass shit drawings they have we could be talking about something every two weeks.
There's a drawfag here in Holla Forums who drews an extremely detailed character on 2 days but can make the character sheet in 10 minutes (According to him)

And that's not even mentioning the "Fast Writting Mode". You know why comics like Hellcat and all that shit nothing ever happens, is because those faggots are pussies who are afraid of leaving one scene.
Shit, I wrote my first 67 pages in 24 (Commulative hours in around 6 days) hours and the trick is not to be afraid to face head on the action of the next scene just because the scene you're writting now feels comfy.

Honest to god with the shit they're giving us Marvel could easily be western shonen jump weekly.

Proof

how is that a character sheet? its just a bunch of shitty sketches

Doodling is more "real" and "relatable" and "easy to draw"

kids don't care and people like will rationalize any change in the medium away so why bother?

I would buy the simpler shapes means faster animating. Except the 50's did that and the UPN cartoon designs had a lot more effort than pic related. I mean at least UPN designs were proportioned correctly.

Holla Forums is the most cucked medium, indeed.

for the sake of doing what you love

what are you replying to bud

OP

It's called being "offbeat" and "spontaneous"

yeah that sounds great until you have to put sweat and tears into shit work for low pay and then get fired because they found a drooling retard who'll do worse work for cheaper and a animator credit to put on their tumblr

isnt that like, every work ever

My theory is that when 2D western animation stop being made into big-budgeted movies, the quailty/effort of 2D animation fell to the wayside. When was the last you saw a 2D animated film that didn't come from Europe or Japan? Winnie the Pooh?

Don't get me wrong, 3D animation is great in its own way, but 2D films also have their own charm to them. Said charm inspired great animated shows. The appeal of 2D "trickled down" to shows like Samurai Jack and the Diseny 90's cartoons. But since 2D animated films stopped becoming popular for normies in favor of 3D, the rest of animation tends followed; without some western inspiration of 2D art nor the time/effort to replicate most 3D movies, 2D shows are resoured to uninspired, anime-tier "character design". Anime can be cool, but you know what else is cool? Actual effort.

Fucking big studios killed 2D animated movies for no goddamn reason other than "muh technology". Animated movies have been shit ever since. They're all about poorly designed CG talking animals spouting dated pop culture references and fart jokes.

Mostly hipsters though. There have been good Jewish animators before.

Now now Dubsman, it wasn't for no reason. It's easier to reuse assets between movies in a less noticeable manner and I'm sure there are many more corner cutting techniques in 3d animation as oppposed to 2d, probably easier to train people in it as well.

It just made everyone's life easier and allowed them to jew harder

I'd like to add that it's specifically hand drawn frame by frame animation that I noticed is starting to decay. Meanwhile, Flash animation like Wander Over Yonder and Gumball have high quality animation and evolved past Newgrounds level. And all because the majority of 2d shows are Flash animated. Newer generations don't know how to animate properly frame by frame and knowledge is dying because why pay attention to quality control when you can have Flash do the work for you. And if you don't have Flash, just use that popular Tumblr style for an automatic audience. How else do you explain why out of all the other more professional minimalist style they chose the more amateurish one. It helps that the style is carved completely by young neoliberals and not pasty old white guys.

CalArts

I blame Television during the 60s that gave people cheaply made animated cartoons and the overblown budgeting back then that never subsided while retaining quality animation. And most anime-esque shows in the West is what, outsourced to some sweatshop studio in South Korea or maybe hilariously like Marvel Anime with Madhouse, just sad that most animated shows have to rely on merchandising to survive, if not, they won't last a season or two. Now, pretty much the same as the comics industry where DC and Marvel destroyed the growth while retaining stupendous monopoly, Disney has major fault here.

Why are most cartoon girls so Ugly nowadays?

every decent character designer works on video games and movies now. also where the fuck is that ear placed in the first pic

Really? I see them trying to make everything realistic in the AAA games but it always comes off as looking so weird due to uncanny valley effect.

Posting some Jennies.

every one of my favourite concept artists work in video games, so i dunno man. maybe youre not lookin at the right games

Anyone got that chart on the evolution of cartoon artstyle and design? same with comics, this is the fad of this decade, tumblr CalArt flash animation crap.

typical tricks there schlomo

pretty nice

Now now user, you wouldn't want to perpetuate any beauty standards in [current year] would you? :^)

That's no excuse to stop making 2D animated films. Why must everything be CG? Why can't it look like a drawing?

Maybe I am. What games have they worked on?

I don't know fam. Disney got rid of their 2D animation studio I don't know about the rest. Which is a shame since I liked Dreamworks 2D stuff.

Why the fuck has thread design become so lazy?

I'm surprised a studio like dreamworks didn't announced that they would still do 2D animated movies after Disney said they would stop making those. It would've really solidify the fact that they were the counter or alternative to Disney. Its a shame too because I liked The Road to El Dorado and The Prince of Egypt, and I don't know when the fuck My Shadow and Me is gonna come out since its been pushed back so many times.

Agreed. God I wish Road to El Dorado got a sequel. Nice to see Chel and her thiccness.

It does not event has the "being made in Flash" excuse

Anime has the most detailed, complicated and high quality character design you'll find in any 2D animation, so I don't know what the hell you're saying here.

2D animated shows in America probably went completely down the shitter because of decades of outsourcing combined with systemic flaws that were present even before that.

Character design in Anime is the best on the planet right now and it has been like this for decades.

Jenny looks so simple and yet she is complex

all this effort put into garbage is honestly depressing.

The only systemic flaw is "This is TV animation, not Feature Film. It gotta be cheaper."

Well that's obvious and inevitable. You can't do feature film-level animation when you have to put out a half hour long episode on a weekly schedule. One of the flaws was actually that they stuck to the same ideas that had been used to make cartoons in the past, which weren't ideal for television or even ideal in general.

The more elaborate the design, the more they stand around in static poses like a sprite game, unless it's like, 12 episodes total. Anime has its own problems.

Anime's use of detailed character designs and drawings is deliberate, and much more advantageous than the American style. It's also supported by particular animation and filmmaking techniques that allow for more efficient use of animation.

It's harder to animate with detailed designs, but you could also say to a weightlifter that it's harder to lift heavy weights and he should just lift the empty bar so he can get more reps. As if simply getting as many reps as possible is supposed to be the point.

People also exaggerate the staticness of anime while overestimating the animatedness of American TV animation.

Anyone know how to do good character design sheets or have good tuts that help you along.

I heard there's some good stuff on /loomis/.

They killed 2D animation because it was such a demanding skill it put control 100% in the hands of the animator. 3D animation can be directed like live action and that makes the suits more comfortable.

She is the worst of that bunch.

Jews + anime

More Canadian "talent"

This.

That's literally an asian Helga Pataki/Phoebe hybrid. Fucking hacks.

Funny enough that character is supposed to be latino.

That only makes it worse. Just like how nu-spiderman is supposed to be Puerto Rican but they never reference his ethnicity, he never speaks spanish and is drawn black when they're mostly just tanned with straight hair.

That must be a big reason, maybe even the biggest. 3D animation can be divided into smaller tasks than 2D animation, the people doing those tasks can be replaced easier, and everything is easier to control.

That technically started out as American

That was canceled essentially

It may be little easier to "raise the bar" with 2D on TV/internet and 3D in movies

Shonen jump was decent once.
Before dragon ball Akira Toriyama did some very nice things.
See Dr.slump for example.

nice work but
I am Going full freetard

could be worse

Funded by timewarner and other fagots, it's datamines the users of it.
venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/discord-raises-20m-for-voice-comm-app-for-multiplayer-mobile-games/

discordapp.com/tos

discordapp.com/privacy
>We use third party service providers who may use cookies or other technologies to collect information about you and your browsing and other usage activities over time and across different websites. For example, we use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses cookies to help us analyze how users use the Site and enhance your experience when you use the Service. For more information on how Google uses this data, please go to google.com/policies/privacy/partners.

Enormous leak due to Discord using Cloudflare services.
Literally everything got leaked (data, passwords IPs, username etc..) to the public for now it's in the google cache or other cache.
github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare

Learn more about the consequences of datamining;
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8414-corporate_surveillance_digital_tracking_big_data_privacy

store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

store.steampowered.com/privacy_agreement/
1/2

2/2

>google.com/chrome/browser/privacy/eula_text.html

google.com/policies/privacy/

Use krita for gods sake
krita.org/en/
lets continue on Corel

corel.com/en/eula/

corel.com/en/corel-privacy-policy/

And I could go on.
Please do not be naive user, all these non-free licenses/software always use vague terms and descriptions.
And even if you find something that isn't ethical what are you going to do against them ?
Sue them ?
I don't think anyone can win against these giants.
You cannot prove what they are doing is malicious or good, like said before they use the good sentences like "customers enhancement program" and other bullshit like that.
If you don't have the source code and the compiler under GPL they an you can't prove anything.

People have been building tools for more than 30 years to prevent yourself from losing your freedom.
Find software that frees you from all this at:
directory.fsf.org/wiki/GIMP
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Krita
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Inkscape
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Blender
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Scribus
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Synfig_Studio
And many more in the FSD

Sorry to have temporarily derailed the thread.

*tips gentoo*

This is true. Though many animes have frequent scenes where characters stand still and just talk at each other, at least they use cinemetography for it. Compare cartoons where there are less, but still some, scenes where the characters will do nothing but stand still on a static background, and they never even have a camera angle for it that isn't just a head-on view like it's an awkward stage play.

Western cartoonists don't know anything about motion, or perspective, or visuals, or fucking anything you should know before you make a fucking cartoon.

WHA-PISH!

What? but cartoons ARE supposed to be ugly as shit. You don't have to learn a thing.

To be fair with Miles i think he's half Puerto Rican half black so he's a mulatto.

What the hell is that from?

Clarence

ah that explains the ugly artstyle.

Too bad more cartoons these days don't do that.

I loved the movie and the ending credits for it. So beautiful it makes me cry.

That and with 2D animated films not pulling in Pixar bucks, suits assumed that audiences don't want to see them in 2D anymore.

Basically the 3D-leap video game problem; the suits see the fancy new thing vs the old thing, and assume everyone wants the new thing, no matter how crap it is, and are happy to throw out decades of experience and institutional knowledge to start all over.

For a show with such a silly premise, it had a lot of heart to it. You can tell they put tons of work into making it good.

Indeed they had, the animatrix episode is a monument to their love for cartoons and how much they understood their media

Shit that was an animatrix reference? This show was even better than I remembered.

As much as I love that part it bugged me how it conflicted with the continuity in the movie where Father's origins reveal he was a kid at one point while here he is created as an adult.

It`s almost a scene by scene parody of "The Second Renaissance"

It`s clearly just a nod to animatrix, I think the authors don`t intended it to be canon

ah ok then. Still amazing though.

Don't forget about the Christmas episode with the X-Men parody.

Oh I remember that. God this show was so much fun. There was even that one episode they had a race with water tubes. I love seeing that exaggerated stuff.

muh GNU/Nigger

I downloaded that and once I opened it and made a new file it crashed. Even GIMP doesn't do that stupid shit.

There's a reason people use proprietary software; because it's made by a shitload of slaves in an office getting paid to make the software WORK. Not a bunch of fanboys from literally everywhere each trying to work on something without proper organization.

Open Sores in theory is great, but in practice it's compete shit and won't be getting better anytime soon, sadly.

You like white genocide?

Are you shitposting or just retarded?

Go back to reddipol, retard.

You got btfo from Holla Forums and now you decided to come to a lesser board?

I hope they can get that sequel made someday. Just from the little trailers that got released, it looked like it would've been just as good.

Cartoons are inherently non-cinematic, and are based on stage entertainment instead. TV shows are usually based on cartoons, so they look largely the same. But cartoons were at least able to have consistent and full animation.

It may not have had as much to do with 2D vs. 3D than it did with the style and content of the movies.

Bullshit.

I'm hating cartoons day by day just coming to this board. Which is good. Keeps me from wasting time or money.

I'm talking about stuff like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=7WKAmPBgn28
youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6JFG5YKMY

Both examples given are super old and were made by people with real vision. Cartoons haven't been on that sort of level in years.

I was specifically talking about old cartoons. That's what TV animations are based on (and movies to a lesser extent).

You really could've worded your first comment better then.

I thought it was obvious when I said TV shows are based on cartoons and cartoons had consistent and full animation.

In 99.50% of the computers that I repair when free/libre software isn't working it because the PC is bloated full of every trojan and malware in existence.
Krita, gimp and others just work.
I am sure that it's your actual configuration that is completely annihilated by other shit

Read "the cathedral and the bazaar".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

It works, it's just you who don't even have to basics of even maintaining your system.
Or you seem to not even have the will to do so.
Like all normies I am sure that you don't even uninstall the software that you don't use.
Or that you let the per-default configuration of the manufacturer on it.

Stop blaming software for everything when you don't know how to identify the source of the problem.
There is an old adage in the software community it's called "PICNNIC"
witch stands for
"Problem In Chair, Not In Computer"

Both I would say.
The example was terrible.
Basically copyleft software stops eventual bad behavior from the creators and even if their is bad behavior it can be countered immediately.

bump

There is a reason why normies value compromise and dedication more than talent and pure intelligence.

All this talk about proper cinematography and staging that's lacking in cartoons these days is making me miss the action cartoons we've lost even more.

Good animators detail every part of their character's design, especially the pantsu.

Look in the mirror normalfag.

Tim is the hero we need but not the one we deserve.

For what?

Source?

Nanoha, A-Ko and I honestly don't remember.

Speaking of BTAS and character sheets.

God, I love this stuff. I remember seeing some of it in an issue of Wild Cartoon Kingdom.

Nice assumption, my PC's as clean as it gets. I have genuine Avast installed and all my programs are portable save for very few commercial ones… But that's not the point. If PS works just fine but Krita doesn't then it's Krita's problem, simple as that.

Guess who did pic related?

I really really can't fucking stand this shitty meme anymore holy shit. Back before it started normie was just a fucking synonym for nomalfag as with norman, but then out of the fucking blue anons started calling other anons "redditors" for using normie even just once. The fuck? Ironically, the ones calling others redditors would have to frequent the site for themselves, whether it be trolling or whatnot. Anyway, another thing—some memes that aren't dead here because we don't overuse them are dead to normals because they do, but you don't go around saying "that's a stale meme" because it is on facebook. Eastern Orthodox church is considered "old fashioned" in the West but not in Cheekibreekiland, for example.

Because the Japanese did it so we have to as well. Compare the shading and detail of Japanese cartoons in the past like the 80s and early 90s to now.

But seriously. Like near every damn cartoon these days is influenced by that Jap shit. We're finished.

liefeldian abomination

Shading is not character design, and character design has only gotten more detailed and elaborate over time. Two tone shading (which I assume you're talking about) was not the norm back then, least of all in TV anime.

If American shows were following after anime they would look a lot better than they actually do.

Only superficially, in their aesthetics or with some benign references. The West's cartoons are still bastardizations of the WB or Disney animated shorts of old and the animated sitcoms created in the later half of the 20th century.

Really, action cartoons done a similar vein to BTAS or even earlier progenitors like the toy shows (He-Man, G.I. Joe, and Transformers) and earlier DC cartoons (New Adventures of Batman, Super Friends, Aquaman, etc) have more in common with Anime than recent cartoons simply due to having less simplistic staging and direction, employing techniques from film and adapting it to animation (even with the limited animation of shows by Filmation and Hanna-Barbera).

I keep seeing in Twitter and Tumblr how there's no such thing as a CalArts monotonous style by adding in Flash cartoons to prove the point. Yeah I see, but then I realized that it makes the problem more specific. Hand drawn animation is dying in a way.

Shading takes time and money, yes it would be possible but corporates don't want to shell out the funds needed, especially when by law the network needs to give a show a substantial pay increase for each season made. The only show with a gradually improving art style in both lighting and shading is mlp.

Yeah, yeah, I know im just using it as an example. The show is reaching its 7th season and when compared to the first season things have improved vastly.

Also Gumball, forgot about that.

This is why I no longer draw, what is the point of wasting the few free hours I have after work practising drawing if some random Japanese guy effortlessly draws much better than i ever have after years of practice?

Because that Japanese guy will be drawing animation frames for generic anime shonen #5326346 for the rest of his life instead of what you want to see.

Reminder that japs don't even animate that shit, for alot of anime the actual animation is done in Korea.

Just replace the word jap with korean and you're good.

No compare just season one and two you can see they have lost shading in seasons two.

What I have proposed doesn't required high level of intelligence besides reading and using a keyboard.
You are exactly saying the same shit that everyone in /loomis/ or Holla Forums hates.
Drawing is just a question of work and do it again and again
Computer is a matter of reading the manual and do it again and again.
Every domain of work is like that it's just a question on how much you are going to invest yourself to make things work correctly.

I know I shouldn't by after 20 years of experiences I can be.
I'll be short because I don't want to autism like last time.
Did you read the contract ?
It sells you data/privacy.
avast.com/eula
avast.com/en-us/privacy-policy

That's my whole fucking point from a few days ago.
You are putting trust in something that ask you to follow it blindly.
Blindly because no one can verify if there isn't any malicious functions technically speaking (and there is).

Did you know that portables software version for Microsoft are infected with CIA malware ?(pic related)
I hope you don't use them.
quitter.im/wikileaks
wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/index.html

You too are making an assumption.
You're lack of knowledge on software is making you choose a solution that won't fit your interest correctly.

If krita doesn't work on your pc I am persuaded that it's windows and the configuration of it.
And besides when was the last time you tested it ?

Reminder that this is at best a misconception and at worst propaganda. The vast majority of anime production work is done in Japan, and even the majority of in-betweening still seems to be done there.

"Shounen" anime makes up a minority of anime, and animators typically work on many different shows.

Lazy is not the word I would use.

Many cartoons choose not to have intuitive designs. They value graphic language over realistic geometry (or they simply can't design geometrically, as others have surmised.) The end result is over-design. These shows end up having to do more design work because they are so disconnected from reality, animators cannot make reasonable guesses on how characters should look in special shots.

I hope it doesn't because there's always some monkey's paw shit when things get a sequel or a reboot/remake.

>things have background artwork has improved vastly
The important things haven't, and the show went down the shitter after S1.
I'll see myself out. >>>/pone/

S1 and S2 are mostly shit they do seem like what Barneyfag spouted, a cartoon that tried to teach useless garbage like Barney and Dora the explorer, you may compare it to family guy but nu-pony is much funnier and I like to se the mare's witticisms.

Reducing animation costs.

Kek
Try Krita with under GNU/Linux next time.

It's about the implication you dipshit. Using normalfag to a normal person makes said person think you hate homosexuals whether you do or not. However a person that truly hatred of normal people or society as a whole would not give two fucks about that. Normie while meaning the same thing doesn't have that homophobic connotations. Guess which one reddit uses.

Season 1 looks better.

Pretty sure he has a fetish being spied by the CIA.

I'm sure you go around complaining about "normalfags" out loud IRL.

>>>/mlp/

I never really got the "It's made of simple shapes!" argument. A lot of great cartoons had characters drawn using simple shapes, why do the modern cartoons in particular suck?

Doesn't everybody?

They're using a really pathetic strawman to defend it. Hannah Barbera cartoons from the 50s to the 70s is not only an easy target but a terrible example. The studio relied on sameness and uniformity by necessity and incidentally created an iconic style.

Every other example used there to contrast is a mix of promo materials and shows of differing caliber. Like a fugitive hiding in the crowd, the hipster designs hide next to shows like wakfu.