Retro Thinkpad

Lenovo (((accidentally))) released a picture of the new Retro Thinkpad.
Lenovo engineers confirmed Vim users
power button in the middle
classic keys
7-row keyboard
LED on the caps lock key
webcam, mic, light sensor(?)
No keyboard lights
Fingerprint reader
16:9
Keyboard off-center
modern CPU botnet

Other urls found in this thread:

51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

About time they stopped with their shit flat laptops.

It's unavoidable nowadays, even if there was a non botnet CPU (((intel))) would fuck them over.

Will stick with my t420, waiting for libreboot.

Until open hardware becomes a real thing for desktop and laptop cpu market, shit looks fucked with jewtel\AMD and the increasingly pozzed ARM. I hope something like power9 becomes a real choice in the future, but right now things are looking fucked.
Is it the good kind of retro, as in the build quality is the old style of IBM thinkpad. Or just bullshit retro.

but there's nothing wrong with my x220

Every other laptop maker should do this too, just to send a fuck you to apple.

Disable it. Thinkpads usually have a webcam/mic.
Seems like a big fuck up, hoping that you just can't see it at this angle even though I know it's not there.
Don't use it.
Sorry your meme ratio isn't popular.
Looks centered to me, though there is too much space on the sides in my opinion.
no thinkvantage button
I'll probably stick to my x220.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Don't even know if it has an RJ45 port on it yet, which is kind of a deal breaker imho.

In an interview, someone at Lenovo said that users wouldn't have trouble typing in the dark. Perhaps the keys are backlit.

pic related. The keyboard as a whole is centered, but the actually important parts of the keyboard are not.
The only reason it's not is because nobody makes it anymore. If Chinese companies still made them, they'd get used in laptops.

I've been using Alt+ [ since I learned that I can do that. My fingers are long but not that long.

You could remap caps-lock to esc. Nobody actually uses caps-lock anyways.

Just because it's called a clit mouse doesn't mean you're supposed to use it with your one dead center limb

I like to keep both of my hands the same distance away from my center and both of my arms at the same angle when I'm typing. I like to keep the screen in the center of my vision with my head looking straight ahead.
This combination is impossible with this laptop. Why wouldn't you want them dead-center?

Actually, they should put the mouse to the right, that's where everyone is used to use it. Lefties can get fucked.

That doesn't make it good.

It makes it 20x better then any other modern shittop.

HOW DOES IT DO THAT
What is the tangible benefit of having an off-centered keyboard?

This laptop acknowledges that its userbase may have one arm significantly larger than the other

Theres nothing wrong with that.

I don't think that this is that common of a problem for people to have, user. And if it was actually intentional for that purpose, it would be an option that you could choose when you buy the laptop
I think it's just that whatever Chingchong manufacturer goes about making these keyboards never thought about this problem when they first started and now they don't want to change because it wouldn't be a profitable change to make.

the keyboard should be a software defined touchscreen to make everyone happy

I want a laptop not a tablet.

dude i've been posting about the coming retro thinkpad for months get hyped dude.

dude, considering most of its userbase faps to anime since childhood, body can be expected to be asymmetric dude. this was a wise design decision dude.

Calling lenovo "engineers" subtle triggers me. All laptop designers do is wire up a bunch of IC's and make that shit fit in a small box, then they close source their "intellectual" property, which is a few chips with simple logic for power switching, etc, and you have to go buy a new laptop when that shit breaks.

s/subtle/subtly/

If they get a T450 port I've got one I've had my eye on.

shouldn't it come with windows 7 or XP?

/r/the_thinkpad, please. Old thinkpads had 2 more keys in their top 2 rows and those rows were also grey

I can assure you they are underpaid chinks using Windows 8 in one of Wistron's sweatshops

now compare it to pre-2009 power button by how it looks and feels, no click-clack flatshit back then

newfriend spotted, it was considered anti-feature when Apple did it 6 years ago

Yeah, they should have released a Pentium MMX model just for you

This laptop looks like X300 with everything fucked up badly, David Hill, more like (((David Shill)))
Wait for based 51nb frankenpad motherboards for X200 and T60 series, there is basically no well-designed and aesthetically pleasing tech manufactured after 2008.

Aaaaaand into the trash it goes.

Remap it CTRL instead, then you can use CTRL+C for cancelling.

Heh.

I want to believe, but it looks like I'll be using my T410 for awhile longer.

it's shit

I need confirmation on 16:9.
omgubuntu says 16:10 and that image doesn't look that wide(?) Maybe I'm just walleyed.
Could someone count the pixels???????

What are you, some blingbling nigger?

FWIW I'm completely disappointed. My ideal laptop would be 2" thick, it'd have a bright 80s/90s beige color to it, it'd have every port on it made from year 2000 forward (plus a couple pre-2000, like RS-232, and exposed GPIO screw terminals so I can wire-wrap GPIO). It should come in a completely modular design, where hardware is in its own cartridge-like body and can be "plugged" and "unplugged" from the laptop without much disassembly effort. The body/case designs must be released and fully documented, and 3rd parties encouraged to make hardware for it. Think of it as an "ATX-for-Laptops," which is something sorely needed.

"Mobile" has become synonymous with "overpriced shiny slimshit that needs to be re-bought every four years because cheap chinkshit hardware with shit cooling died from overheat." Mobile means you can easily move it around relative to something like a stove or refrigerator; mobile does not mean that it must feel like air when placed in your pocket or backpack. The first standard is a usability one, the second is a shitturd excuse to drive up costs while delivering less.

I WANT MY UGLY TAN NERD-MACHINE THAT STACY AND CHAD WOULD NEVER BUY!

Not a backlit keyboard. A light that's mounted to the top of the display frame to shine on the keyboard. They're really useful in dark conditions, like where I'm sometimes using GQRX, or for people working in outdoor environments.

Can't disagree there! My only beef with the X200's is it's not bright enough.

Ergo, a Toughbook like the CF-31 or a T60?

Also

Nearly impossible. Normies are a way bigger group than we imageboarders.

Why would you need cartridge modularity in modern laptop? First thinkpads had unpluggable floppy drives because you either use floppy and pay $500 for it, or buy 20Mb hard drive for $2000. Then there was PCMCIA when you could swap wifi card with GSM modem or memory card because they indeed were niche. What exact use case modularity can achieve today? Need to swap a motherboard? Pick a screwdriver and do it, most normies won't. It's not like you swap motherboards every single day don't you?
shoo-shoo, back to plebchan

Imagine a world where you aren't this fucking autistic. The only negative is the keyboard's all retarded and compact because muh compact form factor.

FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES
FUCK NORMIES

in op pic is 16:9 dude

186 px height dude
330 px width dude

I made it better.

I made it even better.

I made it best.

The only way a ThinkPad screen should look.

Wallpaper, please?

Highest res I could found. You can probably extend background for higher resolutions.

No Libreboot?
No way.

Modularity and self repair is going the way of the dodo.

wat

Some Chinese hobbyists are making new motherboards with new hardware on them to put into old Thinkpad chassis. Pic related is an "X62".
I think that they either changed names, someone mimiced them, or someone is just trying to steal shekels, b/c there's a facebook page called "lcdfans" that claims to be selling them, and there's an "Official LCDFan's Order Page" which is just a google form to fill out.
I want an X62 so bad my dick is hard but can't find a way to purchase one right now.

Wonder if I should get a T450 that's just up the street at a pawn shop.

Had a T450 at my last job. Wasn't too great. Shitty chiclet keyboard, display wasn't even FHD (at least on mine), hardware was sluggish under Windows 7 with a few programs running, and build quality wasn't that great. The screen had this horrible wiggle to it. Really not a very sturdily build machine imho.

If you're willing to get your hands dirty, then just buy a Macintosh Portable, rip out the guts, and put any damn thing you feel like in the case.
They're I think the biggest laptops ever made that could still be called laptops, and the case is so large you could fit a small desktop motherboard and power supply in there, still have room for extra shit, and if you are particularly clever about space usage (and use small enough components) you could even fit the guts of a small UPS in there somewhere.
Honestly, I'm a little surprised that I've never seen anybody talking about doing that on here before. You could even just go with almost any other laptop from the 80s, with more space constraints.
I actually have an old Mac Portable that I accidentally bricked, and I'm keeping it around so I can mod the case to fit other shit inside.

I looked at it. The keyboard looks ok. No big wiggle to the screen, nothing really bad about it I could tell. It's just been sitting up there for months. I probably won't get it because my Libreboot T400 is still going strong.

Might wait to see how others find them, I wouldn't mind upgrading my X200's hardware, I love the chassis but it lacking support for OpenGL 3 and some other things is starting to limit me a bit.

T60 here, botnet-free and best keyboard and screen.

I see no need to upgrade.

There was a project about having an SBC in a card-like form factor, where you could slide it into a laptop shell and use it. Upgrading would require getting a new SBC and replacing it. It's somewhere between your idea and a normal laptop, and allows for upgrades, but there are a few problems that need working out.

For a stupid answer, get a 3U rackmount carry case. Stick a computer in a chassis in the centre, and add a terminal and UPS. You now have the most retarded laptop in the world, but it's fully customizable.

Thanks. Don't worry, I'll use vapoursynth to make it bigger (waifu2x, awarpsharp2 should do the trick).

putting to the right, somewhere around pic related would make it more comfortable...

no, I did. :')

51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html

lcdfans is their "official" offshore seller
>E-mail : [email protected]

Thank god. Now they only need to release an ultraportable version.

I assume, you are referring to EOMA-68 standard and Libre Tea card. The authors propose 10-year lifecycle for whole ecosystem and "less pollution", it turns out another bullshit with buzzwords like "FSF certification" they didn't even get fully working libre video driver at this point, "3D printed details you can always print a home and repair"how about make a non-shit computer case that doesn't break after falling from table.
Just because you change your cpu+ram card every 2 years and pay 70 bucks for it, doesn't make it more future-proof or more eco-friendly than changing the whole motherboard for $350 every 5 years. EOMA-68 came dead on arrival with decade-old interfaces the most important shit that keeps computer up to-date, processor speed didn't scale much for last 7 years and 25 year-old interfacing cardbus form-factor.
Overall, they propose users to carry just this card and plug it into every dumb-dock computer you use, at work, at home, at your friend's place, your laptop, etc. which seems completely insecure and useless since every normie already has a smartphone with usb+video out USB-C smaller than this card.
If you read their old mailing lists, you'll see the main developer decided not to use DIMM-style interfaced cards what some actual prototyping SBC kits use, but again, only for prototyping and swappable motherboards what you see in those chinese thinkpad upgrades like X62 because they are not grandma-friendly.

WTF? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE, DUDE, FUCK YOU!!!!!!!111

bullshit retro of course

The only good chinkpads are the ones that can be librebooted

Even if it had free software support it would be shit because touchpads just get in the way of typing and using trackpoint.