>hardware advances >software becomes more retarded

Why is it that as hardware for computers continues to advance the software keeps going backwards?

All the simplest shit that should have already been solved a long fucking time ago continues to fuck up and to get slower, buggier, and shittier all around.

So much stuff we could do very adequately years ago on much older computers with far less resources today we can't seem to do despite the very powerful hardware.

Browsers, file managers, and so much more is all fucking shit.

Did all the competent white male programmers get executed and replaced with women and pajeets or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth's_law
homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/sb16doc/sb16doc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Remember when you could automatically automate repetitive tasks with the hypervisor? Good times.

why

are

you

doing

this

Why hire expensive competent programmers to do it, when you can just hire a bunch of pajeets and women for a combination of cheap labor and political points? Modern hardware can run the software anyway no matter how retarded the developer is after all. Plus making good software takes more time.

Performance is extremely difficult to "see", you can tell when something is slow but when everything is slow and laggy and nothing really works very well, it just seems like that's the way things are rather than all individual pieces of software being badly made. Plus it's hard to tell when something could be faster or if it just has to take time to load or process something.

Also, when you have big frameworks and engines to do everything, nobody bothers to do that thing themselves even if the existing frameworks are bloated pieces of shit.

There's also the fact that very high level languages and abstractions are being popularized because it makes things "easier", so nobody really has any idea what's happening under the hood, they think in terms of abstract objects and "things" rather than in terms of data in memory, and probably have no idea for example that the processor itself is ridiculously fast while memory access is not thus can't make the right decisions.

You're not alone in noticing! There's a mentality problem affecting software devs. Simply put, a lack of craftsmanship, and lack of rewards for craftsmanship and high quality. "Get it done fast, because in a few months it'll be obsolete anyway."

While hardware devs work hard to make hardware as fast, efficient and yet as cheap as possible, software devs be like:

It also doesn't help that nowadays software isn't thought of a tool that does something for the user as fast and efficiently as possible, but rather a way to milk the user out of personal information and turn him into a spreadsheet.

It's the difference between windows and archlinux. You hand two identical computers to a normalfag with the only difference being one has arch and the other winblows 10. They will say the arch one was very fast and the windows one slow every time.

You tell them to install it themselves, and they will look at you like you were speeking another language.

Is this a scenario you imagined in your daydream?

I don't know what installing linux has to do with this topic.

Back to your retarded echo chamber. "White" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) males are still the vast majority of programmers out there.

It was to point out he uses Arch Linux.
Please acknowledge that.

Triggered pajeet detected

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth's_law

- Programmers are and always have been socially retarded. They do not know how to communicate with humans, so they can't design programs that interact with humans.
- Programmers are great at memorizing and bad at thinking. They're like carpenters who know every trivial detail about their tools and materials, and nothing whatsoever about designing a house.
- Programmers tend to be insufferable jerks who can't take criticism.

You know very well what White means you lying faggot. Why do you people always feign ignorance?
Most programming jobs are for dumb shit anyone can do, so I wouldn't be so sure Whites are still the majority of programmers. For hard stuff, sure, but not in general.

Don't be silly, goy. You know a hardware upgrade a year keeps your computer in top gear.
Besides, more powerful hardware allows newer, more complex programs be run and lets those new features shine.

On the bright side, all the CLI software I still use continues to run great.

Did you highlight Ukraine as the whitest country here?

Modern "CLI" programs require more resources that advanced graphical interfaced programs 20 years ago.

If we all just used C or fourth we would never be in this situation.

What does it look like for C/C++?

Great infographics tbh. Next time show us the percentages for Turbo Pascal and COBOL. Really interesting…

…yet you cannot even spell the name of the language right.
Anyways, it's obvious from your post that you don't know jack shit about programming.

capitalism.
"intellectual property", "digital rights management" and all that jazz. next time you vote for a party that supports capitalism and all the bullshit that comes with it remember it's all your fault and it's literally the future you chose.

Reminder that intellectual property is anti-capitalist as it imposes restrictions on what a person's resources can be used for and what can be produced.

lol tell that to all the silicon valley bigshots and their lawyers. intellectual property is the essence of capitalism: greed and egomania.

>>>Holla Forums

There are no parties you can vote for that don't fit that description.

t. Communist

so capitalism is not about greed and egomania? jobs and musk are selfless, humble, and free from greed? at last i truly see.

t. superior being

Stay mad.

Capitalism is certainly about greed, which is why it largely works. It takes the worst traits of humanity and turns them into an asset for all of society. Systems that assume that people don't have these traits (like communism) immediately implode when these traits take over completely.
I'd rather have a system that accounts for greed than one that doesn't.

Fuck off porkie apologist.

You sound like a sheltered white male. Keep your idpol out of it. Most POC programmers are actually socially adept AND analytical. I know its hard for you to consolidate that fact because you're bigoted but I'll see if it sinks in... Still waiting.

Double spacing doesn't improve readability. Your grade-school teachers taught you to double space so they could mark your errors in-between the lines with red pen. Now that you're no longer a child, it's time to stop.

Double spacing doesn't improve readability.

Your grade-school teachers taught you to double space so they could mark your errors in-between the lines with red pen.

Now that you're no longer a child, it's time to stop.

See?

< Get it done fast, because in a few months it'll be obsolete anyway.
40 years ago it was worth paying a programmer to optimize something to save hours of computer time; today it's not. Processor time is now worth so much less than programmer time that's its frequently cost effective to just go with the programmers first implementation.

< While hardware devs work hard to make hardware as fast, efficient and yet as cheap as possible, software devs be like
Software devs are kept from making things faster or more efficient because their labor dominates the cost of the software.

Other notes:
Features: many of the ways we implement feature-rich programs is to use techniques in programming that are necessarily slower. These techniques keep the code cleaner, more maintainable, and allow code changes to be made more easily and with less knowledge of the overall system (programmer cost again). They frequently use more indirection to get the same thing done: you have a deeper call stack to get to the meat of the algorithm, and they are frequently indirect calls which are less efficient for the processor to execute.
Part of features is using less efficient algorithms that span more of the problem space. Many programs of the past would severely limit the problem that could be given to it in order to use a far more efficient algorithm over the constrained problem. Now, for cost reasons, only the less efficient algorithm over the more general problem space is implemented.

Spooky processor voodoo: indirect branches. Processors today execute several instructions, and out of order to boot. When you have one way to do things, you put the branch to that subroutine in the code: the processor will recognize it, fetch those instructions, and keep going. With an indirect branch, say an OOP virtual function, the processor recognizes the branch but has to wait for the destination to be read from memory before it can begin loading the instructions at the branch. There is a whole lot of hardware devoted to predicting those indirect branches, but they are still not as efficient as direct branches.

In addition: due to the laws of physics, processors haven't really gotten faster for about a decade now. Thermodynamics has prevented processors from getting smaller, and the speed of light has prevented them from getting faster at their current size. Most of the speed improvements in the last decade have been in executing more instructions at the same time (multiple dispatch and pipelining) and ensuring that the processor has multiple instructions to execute (prefetch and branch prediction). This has its limits.
Most of the performance improvements have been in running things in parallel. This is where multiple cores and GPUs come in. The speedups that come from parallel processing only come from problems that can be broken down into pieces that can be solved independently.

So, OP, your single page web browser, file manager, word processor, etc are all necessarily serial tasks that cannot be improved with multiple processes (threads), and still take the performance hit of being written for all the features.

High level isn't mutually exclusive with fast. Shitty languages like C created the meme that fast languages are all low-level, which fostered a mentality in an entire generation of programmers that allowed high level languages that are slow to become popular. C trained people to accept slow high level languages as normalcy.

When it comes time to assign blame, you certainly don't pretend to be confused about who's a white man. You only feign confusion when white men are given credit for something good.

That's because on your high resolution displays you maximize your terminal and it has more rows and columns than a 1990s CRT had pixels.

Ncurses hasn't gotten bloated, your terminal emulators got larger.

Oh yeah, because Soviet software was great.

Lol.

What about this, we take Capitalism, decompile it, remove/ban intelectul property, DRM, and all the other bad stuff, recompile it, and call it Capitalism Lite?

I am a white male, so my own incompetence only further proves my point.

You are not white and never will be.

Tetris was nice.

What did the Soviets even code in? I'm guessing not C/Cobol/Fortran.
Pic was made in the Buran project, not sure if they used it though.

Holla Forums shits on idpol. you have never been there.

I Poetthering "White"? Then why his programs are so bloated? Holla Forums btfo.

Programmers ignore solved problems primarily because of C and Unix. Go ignored decades of solved problems about tasking, types, and error handling and C was the same way. C shills say that ignoring solved problems makes software smaller or faster, but it doesn't.

False-flag LARPing as a Yahoo Answers user stops being ironic after a certain point.

No.

If having you define "capitalism" as "greed and egomania" gets you to give it a consistent definition, then sure.

Yeah they are socially adept at shitting the streets, alright.

Capitalism and its legal enforcement mechanisms are certainly responsible for most of the problem in commercial software, but don't seem to be in all of it. Why are these problems nearly as severe or worse in libre land?

Is libre merely guilty of insufficient manpower/man-hours/training/tools driving them to make knockoffs of bloated commercial software, their work being driven by the needs of users immersed in the bloat of commercial applications, and philanthropic handouts being directed unequally into the hands of suckups to moneyed interests warping the purity of libre?

Or does libre have its own unique problems, like slapfights between egotistic forkers, disregard for (non-contributing) users, and scatterbrained dilettantes dropping half-finished projects at the drop of a hat?

My explanation would be that you could actually live off developing software for average consumer (not only professionals and business users) by baiting them with trial versions. Nowadays everyone expects software to be gratis.

Over in the Free Software world, people develop for themselves which means they implements the most important features and some fun additions, then they try to maintain the program for a year or two before abandoning the project or keeping it on life support. The bugs keep piling up, until some rewrites it (takes out the features) or simply creates new project. Pointless forks over childish disagreements also don't help. GUI toolkits are also a joke in Linux world. GTK+ does lots of retarded shit and devs are closed minded. Qt is bloated as fuck, tries to do too much and I hate C++ with passion. Every other binding for Qt sucks ass. Literally Windows 98 GUI applications were more consistent and developed than majority of GTK/Qt applications today.

This is just my personal opinion.

oh yeah. it had good design unlike most of today's crap.
why won't anyone make a GUI toolkit which simply works like Win 98 stuff?

Those libraries are all shit. Quality is more important than quantity.

Sadly yes. I've seen stupid situations where something trivial got blown up into "well fuck you I'm taking my ball and going home". No one wins, not the users, not the project or the people involved.
Things have improved on the desktop area IMO but there are still ways to go. Papercuts and refinements that matters for first impressions, for fuck sakes when I still have to worry about screen tearing fixes, or cursor sizes setting not staying put, voodoo shit that I can't figure out if it's systemDicks or something else that makes successfully booting into antergos a coin toss. All that shit still adds up.
It happens to more than just dilettantes unfortunately. I thought Remix OS had some potential. That's dead at least at the consumer level. Canonical is no longer pursuing Convergence, but tbh they should have realized it was halfbaked at best to begin with.
No matter how libre or open the sores are, if it doesn't have good out of the box experience joe and jane public will not give a shit.

Anything larger than 768p is a meme designed to sell ultra 3d televisions for super sportsball and hollywood movies, too bad weeaboos tacked on instead of pushing for a purpose built vector based file format, or better lossless encoding of japanimation television.

isn't that tcl/tk?

I remember being seriously hyped when autovectorizors for Flash started coming out, playing around with them myself I got some pretty amazing results even from 480p sources back then.

At least it wouldn't require any new formats or software to OCR manga into a better format like SVG or DjVu, it would just need some group to start doing it.

Ctards fear superior compiled languages because they're very insecure.

Why are they insecure user? Is it the type checking or the fixed-length variables or pointer, what?

That's the funniest insult to C, I've heard on this board so far.

As a CFag I appreciate short and efficient insults.

I would agree with you if you said that about specifically phone screens, but even with i3 as my wm, 768 is kinda cramped.

Hardware is getting more retarded too. Modern hardware gets more and more complicated and also gets harder and harder to program. Using raw hardware with no drivers was easier than using "abstract" APIs today. The Sound Blaster is easy to program in assembly.

homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/sb16doc/sb16doc.html

Another problem is bad operating systems. PulseAudio has a lot of the features of an OS. Browsers are like operating systems.

Nice link. One thing, though:
What did he mean by this? 0x2C?

really? I don't see processors getting much faster and more shit is getting pozzed by the day.

Moores law is still more or less going strong, although it'll come to a halt at 7nm.