Sublime Text 3.0

Compared to the last beta, 3.0 brings a refreshed UI theme, new color schemes, and a new icon. Some of the other highlights are big syntax highlighting improvements, touch input support on Windows, Touch Bar support on macOS, and apt/yum/pacman repositories for Linux.

Certainly there are big features that 3.0 has: Goto Definition, a new syntax highlighting engine, a new UI, and an expanded API. However the difference is frequently felt in the hundreds of improvements that don't warrant being featured on their own: spell checking works better, automatic indentation does the right thing more often, word wrapping handles source code better, high DPI screens are properly supported, and Goto Anything is smarter. There's too much to list, but combined the difference is night and day.

One of the areas I'm especially proud of in Sublime Text 3 is performance: it's significantly faster than Sublime Text 2 along every axis. Startup is faster, opening files is faster, and scrolling is more efficient. While it's a much larger application than 2, it feels leaner.

sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-3-point-0
sublimetext.com/3

discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/OIu4q
rbt.asia/g/thread/S38087806
foicica.com/textadept/
wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/buy
monokai.pro/sublime-text/
packagecontrol.io/search/powershell
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vim

piece of shit expect for quick edits

case in point: you find upvoted answers in stackoverflow to questions about remapping keys "i just switched to us keyboard lol"

To be fair, US keyboard is superior to anything else.

I don't use nagware, sorry.

gno

I like Sublime so much I considered buying it some day, but now I will never install another update.

Do people actually use this shit unironically? Are there really people who prefer to use a bloated proprietary IDE over vim and Emacs?

emacs

Consider the fact that the vast majority of people with a computer wouldn't pass a turing test.

Sorry but I don't have autism.

Neovim

Unfortunately (for you), all other software from now on will have this design too eventually. Because it is proven to be the best and designers do not design for autists. So might as well stop using computers to ease the painful defloration when your emacs or something else gets flat.

Luckily software like Blender is resisting normie design trends.

this must be a bait thread

a modest number of bugs are also being reported

vs code is better.

It will be designed for normies rather soon.

can i see the code before i run it?

USE EMACS AND TERMINAL, FAGGOT.

what does Holla Forums think of vs code btw?

it's owned by Microsoft
but it's also Open Source

I've only heard good things about Sublime Text, but it's proprietary...
Maybe if enough of us buy it, they will make it FOSS in the future?

It's actually a very good text editor. At first, Sublime was marginally better. But, over the past few months, MS has REALLY put a lot of work into VS code and now it is actually a top quality editor. The community is also enormous and there are already more, better quality addons than sublime, better addon management, and the built in git is really easy to use if your IQ is above 20. I'm sure Holla Forums fucking hates it because it's Microshit but give it a try and judge for yourself.

i'll keep using textadept, its free and open source

I ain't using this, but it's incredible how it's shilled on ycombinator. Archived for your viewing pleasure:
archive.is/OIu4q

i never understood that site, people keep treating it like secret hideout for smart tech people but its just another leftist echo chamber

Hacker News it's a good source of tech info, at least after the fall of slashdot into reddot.
Some comments there actually use some reason and evidence instead of feelings regarding political subjects, but like any other normalfag friendly place, the majority is leftist.
Be careful of avoiding everything lefty because you don't like it, though. You'll end up in your own bubble. Most arguments these people make are easily proven wrong.

im no extremist but im incredibly sick and tired of hearing shit like "refugees dindu nuffin", trump is literally hitler" and other shit so i try to avoid places that spout this garbage.

Yeah and they don't last long.
/g/'s take on "hacker" news: rbt.asia/g/thread/S38087806

It's not the fact that their arguments are shit, it's the fact that I'm just sick and tired of reading those shit arguments for the 6000th time.

To see something so blatantly wrong and people eating it up to look humble and supportive so they can be part of some group while you're attacked for showing how they're mistaken. Yeah, I know how it is and the only thing I can say to help is to calculate the risks beforehand and face them. Be secure and have lots of information on the tip of your tongue. By facing them you build your conviction and remember that all this isn't to change your opponent's mind, but the viewers.

Mein seite

Aint running that shit nigga.

Same shit goes for vim and emacs. Try hitting CTRL-^ when ^ is a dead key.

Except when you need any sort of accent/language-specific character.
Also fuck ANSI keyboards for being 104-key. It's absolutely retarded.

this except

I find VS Code really weird, because it seems like a text editor glued into a gimped down IDE. I thought the whole point of using text editor is to only have the essential tools like syntax highlighting, autocompletion and maybe code linting.

VS Code is huge is size and eats up lots of resources if you have a big project. At this point why not just use IDE like anything from JetBrains?

What the hell

Use the US international layout, this allows to enter umlauted and accented letters by pressing Alt + letter

no.
see first reply of
and it's probably not even a good editor at that. i can feel the slowness through OP's screenshot

Many people are using it now. It outranked vim in a number of questionnaires given to recruits and interviewees. I use it. It's pretty good. It's more useable than vim I think. But use what you know I guess.

sage for irrelevant consumer crap

gtfo

The other dumb thing about paying $80 for this, is that it is a one (now two) man band. There was a period of over a year apparently when even the Dev version of the editor saw zero activity. If you're going with proprietary, for a tool you're going to depend on, at least make sure they're going to be around in a few years.

feels free man

That's what's so crazy, I really wonder how much work they put in optimizing that price point. Even if you like the editor (and sublime is decent), that seems far too much for a text editor. Unlike say a image or movie editor rich requires a considerable expertise to pull off.

*an

Editor in C, in 2017... Vim? If not I'd say Emacs, but most of that is written in Elisp.

foicica.com/textadept/

It's the only decent (i.e. non-bloated) normie-friendly text editor around, so it's the only thing I can recommend to people who ask me what to use. Kate and gedit are too desktop-specific, but are a viable alternative if the person is running linux.

To be honest, it's the only thing I'd consider using if vim weren't around. I would put together a patch to disable the nagging, though.

I hope you are donating to those poor Ugandan kids though. I hope you're not the support of person who disables that nagging.

Neat. Always pleased to see alternative editors being worked on.

They really are Jewish, as a few of the addons are actually for sale. Want SFTP integration, $30 goy!!! Their users just soak it up too.
wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/buy

Meant to add

you dont actually have to pay for sublime text though
kys

The golden age of open sores has brought Emacs and Vim, but recently it's delivered us disgustingly slow filth like Brackets, VSCode, Atom. If one guy can build the product the market wants, there's nothing wrong with that.
I do agree, it's a bit high. That said, you don't even have to pay as mentioned, and when you average it over the number of years since he last charged, it isn't very high at all, especially if the tool is earning you money.

I needed some tools the other week for a DIY project, specifically a trowel. Home depot had the barebones basic one for $9, but then a much fancier one selling for $75. What the hell would that buy me? I have no idea, I'm an amateur, but for a pro that's probably priced to be a sensible investment.

Sublime Text 2 was good. Sublime Text 3 is utter shit. Startup time is slow and keystroke latency is 20ms or more. I find myself going back to Notepad++ for quick edits or even vim via Windows Subsystem for Linux if the prompt is already up.

t. Debian

Check this out, you'll love this. Someone is actually selling a colortheme to Sublime users.
monokai.pro/sublime-text/
> You can freely evaluate Monokai Pro for Sublime Text. To remove the popups, a license of €9,95 is required

lol. just in case you are serious:
packagecontrol.io/search/powershell

There's no autocompletion and the syntax highlighting is wonky.

Oh nevermind, apparently stposh does, I'll have to give it a try.

why wouldn't i defend it????????

i win XDDDD

i win again XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

If someone sells a color scheme for Emacs, does that mac Emacs bad? No. Also it's a little more than a color theme, it seems to include icons as some sort of interface lift. Is it worth 10 euros? Absolutely not, and only a trendy cuck would buy that.

i win thrice XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

lol yet you spend 20+ euros a week on doritos even though you are already obese

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

good thread

Very strange comment, is that projection? I'm a health nut so that's an odd thing to just assume of someone.

Ahh now we know you've never even used it

please post quote where i do that
protip: XDDDDDDDD

None of these autocomplete Get-ADUser... Or anything else AD/Exchange related...

Did you just reply to your own posts with anime to keep shitposting?

lol. im pretty autistic but im not pathetic

Not that anyone would remotely care but both your shit is the reason 8/tech/ hasn't been able to have a technology discussion in like 2 years. Well, both that and the sudden Holla Forums influx.

sage to compensate for my autism

I see more idiots whining about "the Holla Forums influx" than anything related to Holla Forums here. Perhaps if you could get gud, and stop being triggered all the time, you'll have something useful to contribute here.

really makes me think............................................................