Cryptocat Friends

This is a Cryptocat thread. This thread is for the discussion of Cryptocat and finding new people that use Cryptocat.
Cryptocat is end-to-end encrypted chat service. It uses a protocol that's based on the OMEMO protocol, which uses the Double Ratchet Algorithm. The software itself is multiplatform. You can also share securely some files with other people if that's your thing.
It's a algorithm that's used for managing the keys of a session, which is most commonly used for E2E encryption. It provides forward secrecy, that is the property that if one message compromised it will not compromise the rest. If you want to read more about it. Here signal.org/blog/advanced-ratcheting/ or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Ratchet_Algorithm
No it's used by Signal, Wire, WhatsApp, Conversations, ChatSecure....
Because they could compromise the messages with other ways. For example have you the source code of WhatsApp? They could change a small detail and it would be insecure!

If you post your username then please post your timezone. It would be good when you mention your interests, so that like-minded people could find you easier!

My username on Cryptocat is Lain. My timezone is UTC+2.00, I'll be online most of the time! I like to discuss technology and programming. Yeah I like the anime Serial Experiments Lain. I also like good animes and mangas. If you want a new friend, you should add me! I can speak German (if that's your thing or you want to learn it a bit better).

Other urls found in this thread:

crypto.cat/index.html
github.com/cryptocat/cryptocat
archive.fo/VfgYT
archive.fo/VtF8G
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocat).
web.archive.org/web/20110829040329/https://crypto.cat/about/
omemo.top/
jabber.at/p/clients/
list.jabber.at/
dl.ring.cx/ring-release/tarballs/
github.com/savoirfairelinux?utf8=✓&q=client&type=&language=
aur.archlinux.org/packages/ring-gnome/
netzpolitik.org/2017/secret-documents-reveal-german-foreign-spy-agency-bnd-attacks-the-anonymity-network-tor-and-advises-not-to-use-it/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oops i forgot the link. Here crypto.cat/index.html . The client is FOSS and you can find the source code here github.com/cryptocat/cryptocat

I aint clicking that shit nigga. Only one high assurance chat app do I trust. I will only ever use my own howbeit.

What? Why won't you trust it? What's the problem with it?

Everything checks in.

Can you provide proof that it's compromised? If not then you should fuck off.

Spoken like a true NSA agent.

Hey this is a friendly discussion thread. If you can't provide proof that it's insecure, you should leave the thread.

It's only an implementation. You can write your own client in whatever language you like. If you don't like JS you should stop posting on this site, because the site uses JS.

Gas yourself for me hothead. Afterwards rewrite the program in anything hut pajeetscript and the explain why your shitty implementation is worth more then dingleberries on a albo in cuntland.

Not him, but it's been discovered a few years ago (2013, I think) that Cryptocat had/has? a bad security problem. Apparently the creator screwed up something with maths and tried to hide it under the rug. It might've been fixed by now, but you should be wary.

archive.fo/VfgYT
archive.fo/VtF8G

Also posting timezone and interests along with username on a constantly monitored anonymous fingerpainting forum seems a bit risky.

Just like I can write my own drivers but I'm not going to. I'm just not going to use it until someone does.

Yeah that's an good argument. But he has rewritten the app completely: "In February 2016, citing dissatisfaction with the project's current state after 19 months of non-maintenance, Kobeissi announced that he would be taking Cryptocat temporarily offline and discontinuing the development of its mobile application, pending a complete rewrite and relaunch of the software.[10] In March 2016 Kobeissi announced the re-release of Cryptocat, rewritten completely as desktop software instead of the original web application software, as a public beta and the resumption of the service.[11] The new desktop-centric approach allowed Cryptocat to benefit from stronger desktop integration, in a style similar to Pidgin." (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocat).
First, I didn't post anything illegal. Second, The things I posted are liked by many anons on this site, so it wouldn't be that easy.

Hello socjus, no I won't give you my dox, bye

wait now i remember this
web.archive.org/web/20110829040329/https://crypto.cat/about/

funny i have js, cookies, and every other type of cancer disabled yet i still wrote this post

warum benutzt das denn bitte judenscript?
bernd was solln das?

I'm not gonna use that. I'll try out GNU Ring first.

Ran had a good head on her shoulders.

OP here. So what do the anons recommend. Has anyone here a better alternative? I'll look into GNU Ring.

Ich denke ich schalte es ab.

archive.fo/VtF8G
holy shit. but dont worry, it is fixed now :^)
mods pls delete this thread

Ring or Tox. They are very similar as both are decentralized like a torrent client and don't depend on any server. Much more reliable and secure than anything else.

Tox is more popular here, because it was the first such thing and was developed by the late /g/ IIRC. It's stable (well, with qTox client, 1v1 works perfectly) and friendly enough, but it's very slowly developed, if at all. It's regularly used here, but I am not sure if it has any future. You can't get much further without outside support.
Ring was an unusable mess the last time I've seen it, but that was years ago and it has been developing very rapidly and seems to be decent now. It's being developed by actual canadian company instead of basement autists, so you can probably except professional look-and-feel along with the usual corporate cuckery. Pic related.

Try out both. I would like to give Ring a try, but those incompetent niggers don't maintain a Debian 8 repo, so if you use any non-mainstream Debian-distro, you're screwed.

No it's no alternative! Not every client supports OMEMO. There is no standard encryption. It's fragmented and shit! Crypto software should be easy to use. You shouldn't have to install any additional plugins for it to work securely.

Hm, yes. But I personally think that Tox is no good. Toxcore is practically abandoned and the clients are alpha software. Most of the clients are also abandoned or developed very slowly. Yeah I'm going to look into Ring, it seems nice!

Maybe you should consider going back to Lainchan.

What's wrong with Lainchan?

If comfort is more important for you than security, you do not deserve security. Educate yourself.

Either run by a nigger or a leftist fucking retard.

pic related

No it's no problem for me to install an additional plugin, but it's a problem for the most people. When the functionality is included in a "core protocol," that makes it easier to distribute under people. If you have more people you can develop your program faster. They are more open for supporting the program and maybe donating money.

Then they need to educate themselves. I'm not giving normalfags free encryption shit.
I agree, but making your protocol open for enhancements is also important, but in this case OMEMO should have been included in the core protocol, I agree with that.
Don't do it for the donations. The main goal should be achieving quality.

Well there's no point in being secure if you're not talking to anyone.
I've been trying to get my friends to xmpp and it never works out of the box. To be fair, most of the time it was something stupid but not everyone is Holla Forums-literate. People don't want to install a plugin to use otr. Not to mention that a lot of the features that make xmpp good aren't widely supported for most clients.
omemo.top/

Meanwhile, I even got my mom to use signal.
And managed to get matrix and tox working with some friends.

I don't do if for money, but if the application has monetary support the development will be easier. Look at Tox, it doesn't look good, maybe with a bit money there would be faster development. Now look at Riot, Slack, Discord, they look nice and work, because they have money that supports them. But they are terrible software because they don't respect my freedom!

He is right. Good luck with getting your friends on anything like Tox.

We had an anti-signal thread here up for months. Other than that you are absolutely right.

And this too. Autism alone won't make a project, sadly.

OP here. If anyone wants to add me on Tox, my id is: F1AB93DAC9949C1B631E5A5221E262881CA5E91F0C9BF5889E6B7413A53ADE5A61D67089C136

GET THE FUCK OFF THIS SITE YOU TUMBLR TRASH

Maybe you should take your pills. You're an idiot.

Really makes you think.

No one wants to talk to a sassy lainon, to be honest.

I'm not the one that's being sassy here!

applications should be built from the ground up with security first, not as an afterthought. Your argument is shit.

IRC over Tor and I2P with SASL user authentication is best. Tox is buggy shit and Ring is worse. Retroshare had a good idea but it's a hog.

IRC is bad. When you lose internet connection or Tor connection, everyone on IRC will see it.

Only niggers don't use IRC.

And? Just use a ZNC.

>.jshintrc
>(((David Mirza, Hasan Saleh, and Tina Salameh)))
If you are such a ratcheting lainfaggot, install literally any of those 6 xmpp clients that supports OMEMO and fuck off. You would like to discuss technology and programming, and yet still you can't spend an hour on reading how things work.

jabber.at/p/clients/
I can only see here that all XMPP clients require a plugin, with the exception for android an iOS apps.

qtox it is

You just tried to ridicule someone by comparing them to a proven successfull deployment model

Oh please..
Explain how Ring is worse than Tox. Hell, explain how it's worse than Telegram! Both Tox and Telegram built their own encryption protocols instead of using tested methods. Tox is still alpha state, and Telegram doesn't support end-to-end encryption for all clients by default, GNU/Linux desktop version included.

telegram is just as shit as cryptocate

Don't be a pleb. If you're worth that much as a target you should be using a few of your zombies you do have zombies, right? as communication platforms. Preferably they'd be granny machines (i.e. granny is the owner/user). This way you can shell in and run weechat, each pseudonym on a different zombie.

Four words:
Tor works; IRC works.

What's the point? Ring.cx is solid and doesn't need any central servers.

Why not just use XMPP? You can host it yourself (Prosody is hella easy to set up) or use a public host like cock.li or xmpp.is or whatever you want. There are literally dozens. Encryption is done via OTR.
For group chats use IRC.
These technologies already exist. They have stood the test of time for decades.

this, just choose a friendly server in a friendly country
list.jabber.at/
nothing de, us, uk, fr, ru

Are there any Holla Forums Jabber MUCs? I've been looking around to find a good enough one to join but can't seem to locate any that are actually active.

Just made one. Room creation is open so make whatever. Point your client to [email protected], or create any room you want on the server. You should be able to join with an account from any XMPP server.

That's fuckin gay
8chat at muc.pdxbbs.us

Gajim or Jitsi or Pidgin?

Pidgin is pretty good. Lots of plugins too.

>dl.ring.cx/ring-release/tarballs/
>github.com/savoirfairelinux?utf8=✓&q=client&type=&language=
>aur.archlinux.org/packages/ring-gnome/
Bad joke.

Looks like I also oversaw the fucking webkitgtk dependency. That's a big package.

yes, goy, your messages are safe on our server, we do not read them and do not keep logs
see, problem solved, only metadata is left

stop connecting from clearnet

Fuck this gay shit.

Meanwhile:

Things Lainposters ironically use and recommend:

kill yourself
immediately

Ring
Ring again
Name something legitimately wrong with the program and browser without talking about the Tor foundation.
Not sure since I've never used it.
startpage
Icecat
I don't know. But it works with emacs and Libreoffice.
Use noscript to whitelist only the sites you visit and blacklist everything else. LibreJS depending on how far down the freedom hole you are.
Notabug.org, Savannah, or self-hosted
RIng again. Telegram is also not to be trusted.

netzpolitik.org/2017/secret-documents-reveal-german-foreign-spy-agency-bnd-attacks-the-anonymity-network-tor-and-advises-not-to-use-it/
could just be feds spreading FUD
XMPP/Jabber

I think the thread got fucked.