WHATS THE POINT OF THIS KEY AND WHEN WILL IT BE GONE FROM KEYBOARDS?

WHATS THE POINT OF THIS KEY AND WHEN WILL IT BE GONE FROM KEYBOARDS?

WHATS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD AND WHEN WILL IT BE GONE FROM Holla Forums?

It's a remnant of an older era function, caps lock used to mean Capacitor Lock. Capitalization of letters on CRT based displays used to drain a lot of electricity and created excess heat in the circuitry, and poor quality capacitors that was not rated for an extended displays of capitalized letters were prone to burst or leak. Activating Capacitor Lock or caps lock, locked and in some cases lowered the amount of power in order to cool the capacitors.

Unfortunately some users left the feature on continuously thinking it was the equivalent of a turbo button, since a user now could in theory, type in large displays without any consequences or harm to the capacitors. This was proven to be false during the infamous bad batch of capacitors during the mid 1990's. Despite using Capacitor Lock, many capacitors experienced a large number of failures.

In present day and present time, quality capacitors that are manufactured in Japan particularly using high grade Japanese highschool panties extract to serve as electrolytic material no longer suffers from such issues. In some hardware configuration the caps lock key is removed or replaced for example in Chromebooks. Other manufacturers have left it in legacy mode, or in special maritime use computers it is repurposed as Capstan Lock.

To be remapped to CTRL

It's an excuse to give you an extra user-controllable keyboard LED, like Scroll Lock.
echo heartbeat >| /sys/class/leds/input*::capslock/trigger

I use the CapsLock key to get Uppercase Letters, just Hit it On then Off real quick. Always done it like This.

How's elementary school user?

this had better be bait

It's the walk button in Global Strike, you fucking shill.

map it to ctrl and get comfy in emacs.

IT'S CRUISE CONTROL.

THE ANGRY BUTTON IS THE GREATEST INVENTION IN THE HISTORY OF KEYBOARDS

NOT HIM BUT I DO EXACTLY THE SAME THING, I NEVER LIKED HAVING TO PRESS TWO KEYS AT THE SAME TIME TO WRITE IN CAPS. I ALSO TYPE USING EVERY FINGER FROM MY LEFT HAND BUT ONLY MY INDEX FINGER FROM MY RIGHT HAND.

Its not in the slightest.

HHKB solved that

This is what Holla Forums has become. Browser threads, programming identation, rust, shitposting and bait threads. That's what the average person here is capable of. Pathetic.

Ok then, go ahead and post your fizzbuzz.c
I'm waiting.

you must be the face of tech

You're not making things any better.

xcape

ĚŠČŘŽÝÁÍÉ

/slowclap
Bravo... That was almost Turbo Encabulator quality bullshit.

I actually had Fortran programming assignments during my 2nd year at Uni.

I was regarded the Wizard of the Class for telling a lot of them about Fortran's case-sensitivity and CAPS LOCK..

About the only other time I've used it in the past 20 years was for a bodged-up RS232 comms program with a microcomputer..

still better than /g/

bullshit

As an expert in Japanese schoolgirl panties I can say you're rather ignorant on the topic. is spot on. Maybe you should educate yourself before calling bullshit on things that are common knowledge?

I have an old typewriter from the 1950s. It does have a capslock. Which would latch onto the caps button as well as the type cage so it wouldn't raise when you pressed a key. I can't imagine what this was for, but I'm sure there are real reasons you'd want to lock down the type cage.

On my Commodore 64 keyboard, the caps lock isn't even a real button, it just physically locks down the shift key from the bottom of the keycap between the cap and the switch.

On modern IBM PC keyboards it's probably just a hold-out from the typewriter era from when terminals were still just typewriters wired together.

Not gone, replaced with something useful. That would be nice.

Man I am surrounded by plebs.

I THINK IT'S PRETTY GREAT ACTUALLY IT ALLOWS TO BE COOL WHEN YOU TYPE WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME. THIS COULD ALSO BE KNOWN AS THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

Pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Blame IBM for all of the problems you have with accidentally hitting the caps-lock key. Before they came out with the IBM-PC and its asshole keyboard, the control key was located in that spot, where it should be for easy use. The caps-lock key was tucked safely away out of accidental reach.
But that made a very popular wordprocessor of the era, called Wordstar, very, very easy to use. IBM/Microsoft effectively put Wordstar out of business by moving the control key to a more inaccessible location. A lot of people, including me, think that this was done for the sole reason of eliminating competition to their own products. And people are saddled with caps-lock in an idiotic position to this very day because of it.

this smh tbh fam

elaborate troll/10

If you ever do any work on spreadsheets the capslock is your friend

I've had to make spreadsheets at work in the past and have had to type out long series's of letters in all caps so using the caps lock is really useful.

But yeah it is a thing that was in typewriters and is not going to go away any time soon. There are even more useless keys like scroll lock and the vast majority of people have no idea what its purpose is.

When's the last time anyone here has used the pause/break key?
How about half of the F-keys? F3 getting much use these days? F6?
Those windows keys, how bow dat.

Used to be used a lot in video games actually, for actual pausing. Use it in Doom all the time.

Top kek

scrolllock numlock numpad pause/break are all much worse

Certainly much more useless, but they don't take up prime real estate like Caps Lock.

| is much more useless on ISO

Having some completely useless keys isn't so bad, they can be used for macros without buying a LE GAYMER keyboard that requires proprietary software.
For instance pause/break is my "start/stop recording" key of choice.

| is completely useless outside piping but >< are useful as bigger/smaller than signs and for random shit people do with text, such as greentexting in this place. They're used commonly enough to warrant being keys.

Now something that's irredeemably useless is the right set of shift/ctrl/alt/winblows keys, the very concept of the menu key (I don't think I ever even pressed it until now) and to some extent Alt Gr

IT'S LIKE A TRAINING KEY FOR RETARDS THAT CAN'T JUST HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY.

You could repurpose scroll lock to a notification light, but the key itself has uses if you're in a terminal.

I normally use the windows key as a modifier for the window manager shortcuts in Xfce, and the menu one as the compose key. I've never used the right side alt/ctrl/shift for much except rarely for pinball type games or one-hand typing.

It's cruise control for cool.

windows D and windows R see a lot of use from me
mostly for old pc games
tbh i don't even know what that button does

It used to pause/break program execution.

i didn't ask what it used to do

i asked what it does

No clue. But I know it's unique in that it has no break scancode, unlike all the other keys on the keyboard that have both a make and break scancode.

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions in the music community regarding the differences between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC format. It is true that 320kbps is technically as good as FLAC, but there are other reasons to get music in a lossless format.

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Just remap it.

Once again, this is pure, unadulterated bullshit. You need to be banned.

Kid, I've been a *net wizard since it was known as ARPANET. Just because you haven't been alive long enough to see the effects of rotational velocidencity doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

faggot

Oh yes and september 13, 2017 shall be remembered as the day I pressed the menu key.
I'll go ahead and put my computer to sleep and then press "Wake Up"

That all sounds very complicated, but you did provide enough pure, unadulterated, technical details that I will believe you.
:^)

WINE is not an emulator
The sky is blue
You have pure unadulterated autism
And not the good kind

I remember back when it was SHIFT LOCK. Man, those were the days.

Oh no, what a fucking tragedy, technology is discussed on the technology board.

0/10

I guarantee you fell for the system32 meme.

this right here. people only think emacs is shit because they haven't done this yet

I'd rather prefer to stop seeing shitty Windows logo on Super key. Or see $ATTACHED_IMAGE removed.

Caps Lock is cruise control for cool
At last it makes sense.

curb your autism

If not for the "Japanese high-schooler's panties" thing, this pasta could be actually believable by normalfags, specially if you put the info on faggy Steven Universe-like infographics with pastel colors