Why don't they come up with less autistic names for privacy-respecting search engines...

Why don't they come up with less autistic names for privacy-respecting search engines? No average computer user is going to remember "searx.me", but they will remember search engines with catchy names like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. This means that they will USE Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and, if they have even heard of "searx.me", forget about it quickly. If you really care about privacy, you need to make privacy as easy, if not easier, than non-privacy.

An effective name goes a long way, because it's free advertisement. When I search for something online, I "google" it. I'm not going to "searx" (pronounced SEER-ecks) anything.

Names should be one or two syllables long, with nice sounding vowels (i.e. no "ecks"), so that they can easily roll off the tounge. Think about other immensely successful software: GNOME, GIMP, Firefox, Windows, iPhone, etc. If you want to defeat the botnet, you have to THINK ABOUT THE AVERAGE PERSON.

Other urls found in this thread:

qwant.com/
github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Searx-instances
yacy.net/en/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FOSS people aren't the smartest people.

Autism =/= intellect.

Freetards will tell you they don't care if "normies" use their software.

Wew, I always thought it was "serx", but that is far more autismal.

Agreed. The same applies to Qwant, my current default search engine.

qwant.com/

lol I don't want normies using my sooper sekrit hacker search engine

Google, Bing, and Yahoo weren't memorable instantly upon their creation. They hit critical mass of users and became memorable brands.

MUH LOGO

I always thought it was Searsh. I bet everybody does.

no one knows what it means other than the autist that came up with it.

If you care about privacy and you're not autistic just use DDG.

You must be pretty retarded to trust qwant.
They are the same has google.

Googol, bing, and yahoo were all pre-existing words. Easier to remember than a newly made up word.

Does anyone else remember Dogpile? I kinda forgot about it some time in the late 2000s. It still seems pretty good.

It's CHI, niggers. X is CHI in Greek. SearX is "SearcCHI".

If you can't remember it always remember that X is CHI is the reason Yuno is Yunocchi.

What's wrong with DuckDuckGo or Startpage?
I know what you're going to say, but my point is that these at least claim to be privacy-respecting. This is about the name, not the quality of service.

ok

As far as I understand it's not really a search engine. The privacy respecting is just that it foils googles ability to track/match searches to you.

No it's not. Do you pronounce search as SEER-ch you tard? It's pronounced as it's spelled with one syllable.

Nothing, names are important to associate a value to the name. Google has a few values imprinted upon its name to normalfags. Like easy, helpful, and destroyer of privacy.
pic related
Owned by a kike working for the (((EU))).
Depends on the hosted instance, usually cianiggers on tor though.
Owned by cianiggers using tracking in the (((EU)))

>>>/out/

Nothing is wrong with Startpage in theory, it does what it claims to do. The problem is Google has ways to purposely shit on its results, and it can't do anything about Google manipulating its own search system now to push certain news sources down traffic listings.

And you misread my post entire, despite the warning. I meant what's wrong with the NAMES?

I should have pink texted the

Who cares besides logo creating fags ?

It goes beyond searx.me
github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Searx-instances
How do you want it easier ?
It's just a fucking proxy that makes requests to multiple search engine.

I say search X.

m8 it's a proxy you anonymize your request by letting the server make them.
It also has yacy but the admin has to uncomment it in the config file to make it available.

it's pronounced like 'search', as in a hard 'ch', this isn't new. their name inspiration probably comes from LaTeX (lay-tech)

i'm running an instance of it now. it's working well enough

I use the opengo.nl interation, works great. Shame about the NL, I guess.

Where do we turn to in these trying times, user?

are you fucking retarded, the name works fine, and at worst sounds less stupid than google
where the hell do you get SEER-ecks from? you can use one syllable, "searks" as in SEAR-ks or /siːɹks/

also this isn't a "replacement for google", it just aggregates shit from google and bing, except it is supposedly privacy friendly, and it doesn't force you to fill out some broken captchas / make you switch a bunch of knobs to turn off "safe search" every time you use it

yes really, because everything else is complete garbage. if it gets big it will have to go "IPO" or some dick sucking form of funding which is basically indistinguishable, just like every other piece of shit out there on the web. take your cancerous tech marketing circlejerk back to HN

are you also fucking retarded? nobody used the word "google" or "googol" before the company became popular. if anything i'm sick of every fucking uncommon English word coming up with some faggot's tech startup instead of the actual topic. as a perfect example lookup "confluence" on any search engine.

you couldn't be more murica if you tried. kys

This thread is exemplary of a general mistake people make.
catering to braindead thoughtless normalfags will leave you exactly where you started in a short period of time, after some companies marketing division with vastly more money than you comes along with a campaign to draw their livestock back to the pen with repeated bombardment of messages and images.
it is necessary for normies to stop being cattle.
not nearly enough is being dont about this, however.

I wish the domain was sear.xyz

I say serks, it ends up sounding like sex.

i call it lay tech/kh instead of latex because its kind of akward to say latex

shit thread
kill yourself

shit thread
kill yourself

What was the name of that new search site that crawled whole domains, and added that to the database for the site? So much new stuff it's hard to keep up.
>here it is: yacy.net/en/index.html

Do you even greentext?
>>>/reddit/

Latex is a natural rubber and there's nothing awkward about it. It's one of the most common materials for rubber gloves (though nitrile rubber is making big advances) Do you get anxious because you think of latex condoms when you say the word "latex"?

true

Do you even know what pic related actually shows?

>what do (((you))) think?

I've always pronounced it search as in: I'm going to Google search for the average wait of an apple.

That domain is for sale for 8 yuan (aka $1.25). If you want it that bad, just buy it.

OSX is pronounced "Oss-ki". OS is pronounced as "oss", like in DOS, NixOS, or PCLOS (which should more accurately be PCGLOS). X is actually pronounced as Ki or Chi in this case. So Oss Ki.

i demand spoon feeding on startpage topic!
even though they mentioned someplace that they got bought some long time ago by an unnamed benefactor of theirs who came up with an idea of "startpage.com", because who in the world would guess "ixquick" is a search engine?

it's O-S TEN retards that's what they told me at the mac store.

It's m(less emphasis on the m)ac-O-S-Ten-Dot-Thir-teen-Dot

Copy writer here. Searx is a great name for marketing. The letters x v and y are uncommon in there use and usually stick out in the minds of customers.

Yeah but they didn't even make it end sounding like "sex" when pronounced verbally. I mean cmon now

You are the Bazinga/lebbit crowd of Holla Forums amirite?

Let the normies burn in their pit of ignorance, nobody cares about them.

As a general rule, any search engine should have a name which can be used as a verb.

You shouldn't talk about yourself in such ways, user.

searx results have been really bad recently. I guess google is clamping down or something.
Ended up switching to ddg.

ddg results are pretty shitty too. startpage is marginally better but I still often find myself having to turn to google to find what I'm looking for.

The instance you are using might be overloaded. In that case it doesn't search Google and you get bad results.
I also think sometimes the red box for what timed out sometimes doesn't show up. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

I'd like to know what this has to do with "sample cover letter" tbh.

Google is stopping searx instance to make queries, the only way that I see to resolve that is to make the searx server make random query on the tor network.
You are aware that you just have to flip a switch in the searx preferences to make a query to DDG ?

Just add multiple search engine in the preferences I get better result by doing that for example:
wikipedia
bing
wikidata
duckduckgo
qwant
reddit
startpage
ixquick
swisscows
yahoo
yandex
It's a bit slow but the results are interesting.

when one of your relatives gets impacted by that disease you will understand the severity of what you're talking about

I'm not sure why you bring up "Yahoo" as a successful marketing name for a search engine. It sounds like you're asking a mental defective to look something up for you. Also, if you want to talk bad names in new-ish search engines: DuckDuckGo (too many words at one) and Ixquick (can't pronounce without going into some Chinese tones shit).

Should I stop reading Holla Forums before I catch your little mind bug, user? :^)

I pronounce Ixquick like "it's quick", but with "icks"

Capital I looks like l, so I pronounce it as ell-eks-kwick

Thanks I totally forgot about the preferences.

It's a Khi, so it should be searKhi. Or it's an x pronounced like in Catalan and it would just be pronounced search