THE GAY GENE: New AI can guess whether gay or straight from photograph

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

An algorithm deduced the sexuality of people on a dating site with up to 91% accuracy, raising tricky ethical questions

archive.is/2017.09.08-023213/https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/07/new-artificial-intelligence-can-tell-whether-youre-gay-or-straight-from-a-photograph

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes. The machine intelligence tested in the research, which was published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and first reported in the Economist, was based on a sample of more than 35,000 facial images that men and women publicly posted on a US dating website. The researchers, Michal Kosinski and Yilun Wang, extracted features from the images using “deep neural networks”, meaning a sophisticated mathematical system that learns to analyze visuals based on a large dataset.

The research found that gay men and women tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and “grooming styles”, essentially meaning gay men appeared more feminine and vice versa. The data also identified certain trends, including that gay men had narrower jaws, longer noses and larger foreheads than straight men, and that gay women had larger jaws and smaller foreheads compared to straight women. Human judges performed much worse than the algorithm, accurately identifying orientation only 61% of the time for men and 54% for women. When the software reviewed five images per person, it was even more successful – 91% of the time with men and 83% with women. Broadly, that means “faces contain much more information about sexual orientation than can be perceived and interpreted by the human brain”, the authors wrote.

The paper suggested that the findings provide “strong support” for the theory that sexual orientation stems from exposure to certain hormones before birth, meaning people are born gay and being queer is not a choice. The machine’s lower success rate for women also could support the notion that female sexual orientation is more fluid. While the findings have clear limits when it comes to gender and sexuality – people of color were not included in the study, and there was no consideration of transgender or bisexual people – the implications for artificial intelligence (AI) are vast and alarming. With billions of facial images of people stored on social media sites and in government databases, the researchers suggested that public data could be used to detect people’s sexual orientation without their consent.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_displaying_homosexual_behavior
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/62148160/#62159174
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So it flagged men that try to look like women and the rest of this is clickbait. Great article, OP.

Beta men turn to faggotry out of desperation. We've seen this with Cosmo, Anthony Burch, Jake Rapp, and Chris chan.

So AI tells us faggots are all so shallow that their existence can be boiled down to how they talk?
Sounds about right tbh

Thanks for confirming this is a slide thread you stupid fuck.

Nice cherrypick.
Abnormal pre-natal testosterone (low for men, high for women) correlates with faggotry, and this AI found it through facial analysis. 80%+ is nothing to sneeze at.

There's nothing to slide here. You're on the wrong board.

Oy vey!

One step closer to day of the slay the gay.

Source? Seeing as you've apparently solved the conundrum science is still internally debating about

What a narrow minded bullshit.
What if I told you that Alan Turing was gay? Or the Queen singer?

2/10, had me.

I want both the ass eaters and Holla Forums larpers to go.

Alan Turing more like ANAL TOURING lmao

user, you make me weep.

Even more like Anal Tearing.

Nope.

Link to AI itself?

Well there's a 9% chance it's wrong, but judging from your comment that's highly unlikely.

Polish scientists did all the work, not Turing. Sorry to dissapoint, man.

Queen (and pop music in general) is degenerate.

Alan Turing looks so much like a fag that it's surprising that he was even employed by the government in the first place.

People can detect faggots quite accurately as well. This is nothing huge.
I wonder if they separated the subjects by race or if it'd classify all japs as gay.
Oy vey, that's racist!

The first thing anyone hears of Turing is that he was a fag. Everyone knows it.

And the Germans already had some computers.

It's widely accepted in the scientific community that homosexuality comes from birth. 'Why' and 'how' are unknown.

>Holla Forumsjeets shit it with "kill fags degeneracy hitler did nothing wrong XDDDDD(((DDD)))"
Neo-Holla Forums, everyone.

kys manchild

Shut up you're just egging them on.

Some people have theorized that it's for the same reason animals play fight, it's practice. When animals play fight they don't actually intend to kill the other animal but it is good practice for when they do need to kill another animal. When 2 of the same sex animal come together, there is no real goal but it might make good practice. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not but I can see the case being made, it's better than my old default of "animals are dumb".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

I saw a post on /g/ recently that made me laugh but also wonder.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/62148160/#62159174

Are you retarded?
Of course its genetic, otherwise you could just give people the "gay away" pill and be done with it.

Is this bait?

Adapt it to fetus scans so parents can abort their baby if it's gay.

No no you see this is where "bioethics" comes into play. Everyone should be equal because everyone is a blank slate, and if everyone is not a blank slate then we should pretend that they are because everyone should be equal.

ewe

every fucking time

There's a genetic predisposition and it may be triggered or not depending on the random number god. It isn't purely genetic though, as proven by twin studies.

I have flipped leftists on the issue of abortion by bringing this up.
They turn pro-life for gay babies because it's "targeting" a minority.
But if the mother just decided to kill the thing to get revenge or for literally no reason at all, it's fine.

Never forget, left wingers use laws and arguments as tools against you, not to communicate their principles.

Just hide it fag

We have a bunker away from the turkroach's fecal children on m712's site.

God damn it.

both pro-choice and pro-life stances are religious hysteria, and are out of touch with basic neuro-ethical facts.

the sexual orientation of the product is irrelevant. the only thing that matters is minimizing suffering of all parties with a capacity to suffer (mother, child?).

if it's a zygote or embryo (about

Spotting biased studies 101

Polite sage but yea I'm glad you brought up the way in which both sides totally whiff on the interesting moral questions surrounding this topic.
Both the chirstcuck line of thinking and the 'womyns right to choose' mantra are pure appeals to emotion and only work because they dodge any real moral discussion and provide each side an easy way to talk past one another.
That being said, heterosexual embryo selection when??

I'm tired of seeing "ethics" brought up as a counterargument for reasonable scientific progress. I understand that we shouldn't be committing concentration-camp-level-atrocities but there is literally nothing wrong with developing software that can recognize truths. "But muh ethics" is not a reasoned argument, and reality isn't going to change itself because somebody's offended.

This didn't really start to occur until their respective empires were in decline. Read some Camille Paglia. Acceptance of transgenderism and the promotion of androgyny is a sign of societal collapse.

They need to open source the code and the data set. I'd be interesting to try it.

"What a narrow minded bullshit." - poor choice of words, newfriend.

US Politics is leaking. Anyone below 20 that's browsing should kill themselfs.

You've earned a gold star for that post

Wait, I thought that every difference between human beings was caused by environmental conditioning...

So you think black people are black because they spend too much time in the sun? That would be awesome. I wanted to be black when I was a kid.

Nice story about AI being trained on a dataset and the closest the AI could get with known true false values was 91 and 81 pct. The only thing that's gay is that rubbish AI.

“faces contain much more information about sexual orientation than can be perceived and interpreted by the human brain”

That's just bullshit. Who the fuck did nature build human faces for? We have higher resolution and our brain is better at that shit. Fags meet fags all the time.. and I've never been asked on a date by one. Or the paper is right, and I'm just not attractive to gay people... that's sad. They could at least ask me out on a pity date or something. Maybe the AI will date me.

Hmmm, sounds like fake news.

"Ethics" usually drive positive publicity and public image. This means it usually drives the $$$$$$ used for those researches, even the publicly financed ones, since you won't be given funding if you're doing ebil notsee stuff.

>The research found that gay men and women tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and “grooming styles”,
pick 1

Holy shit, lmao

nowhere in the article genes are mentioned

phenotypes ain't genotypes

(this means you added to the headline in ignorance)
(you're the one causing future shock and dystopian feelings of "disinfo everywhere" to people who have some basic knowledge)