OpenNIC Thread - Revived Power Edition

What is OpenNIC?
OpenNIC is an alternative DNS provider governed independently of ICANN. OpenNIC provides an alternative DNS root with its own Top Level Domains, or TLDs for short.

Can I access ICANN Domains With OpenNIC?
Yes, OpenNIC resolves requests to ICANN domains and does not conflict with the ICANN root zone. Essentially, OpenNIC provides extended access to the Internet.

How does it protect my privacy?
Many OpenNIC servers support DNScrypt and many anonymize DNS logging. To determine which T2 Servers support these privacy features, check out the OpenNIC Public Server List.

Is it free?
Yes. Access to public OpenNIC DNS servers are provided completely free of charge and OpenNIC top level domains are free to register.

How do I start using OpenNIC?
Windows (Automatic) - github.com/8bitgeek/OpenNIC-Wizard/raw/master/OpenNIC Wizard 0.4.rc1.exe
Windows (Manual) - wiki.opennic.org/setup:windows
macOS - wiki.opennic.org/setup/macos

Links
Main Website - opennic.org/
Main Wiki - wiki.opennic.org/doku.php
Public OpenNIC Proxy - proxy.opennicproject.org
Public Server List - servers.opennicproject.org/
.chan ICANN Page - chandns.net

OpenNIC Links
opennic.chan - .chan Main Page
grep.geek - Search Engine
upload.chan - Temporary File Upload
onii.chan - Imouto Simulator

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dont_anycast
opennic.org/
wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dot?redirect=1
servers.opennicproject.org/
lowendbox.com/
github.com/Fusl/opennic-resolvconf-update
wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dnscrypt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to use this but I always feel like whatever server I end up using is gonna go down sooner or later.

in the recent months, we have seen a new breed of censorship emerge in the form of domain seizure by ICANN registrars.

This tactic was used to silence overtly fascist communities and publications such as The Daily Stormer and Stormfront by seizing their public namespaces, and more recently has been used to force the administration of gab.ai to comply with censorship requests under the threat of similar treatment.

While this may be the right of private corporations such as ICANN and the registrars it sanctions, it is a practice that is antithetical to the promotion and preservation of a free and independent Internet.

OpenNIC is poised to challenge the monopoly ICANN has over DNS. If you value freedom of speech, I encourage everyone to support OpenNIC and become involved in the OpenNIC mailing list, to donate to the organization, and to start your own T2 servers for others to use.

Use the Anycast servers then.

IPv4

IPv6
2a05:dfc7:5::53
2a05:dfc7:5::5353

The anycast servers are configured to provide a selection of OpenNIC servers to you based on availability and will automatically reroute your requests to the next available server in the event that the one you're currently connected to goes down.

They're a high availability and reliable alternative to using a local T2, however this does result in a degree of centralization and may result in some unpredictable latency.

Read wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dont_anycast for more information on the benefits and drawbacks of Anycast.

Can't wait to see OpenNic charged with terrorism and "enabling racists/nazis".

Until that happens, I use them. Haven't let me down once.
I once had some DNS problems but it only lasted 5 minutes.

Question: could someone register their site with this? As oposed to using an old registrar (that are now censorship compliant).
Second question: can the average Joe (with some tech skills) make his own registrar?

Yes you can register your own site, just go to the specific registration pages for the TLD you want. If you mean run your own TLD on OpenNIC, you can but you have to host a Tier 1 server for them.

Hosting my own TLD is out of my ability, but it's good to know other's can do it.
Got a small list of TLD where I can register a server?

The registration pages are on OpenNIC DNS servers so you will have to change your DNS resolver before trying to register a site. opennic.org/ has a list halfway down the page and wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dot?redirect=1 has a list as well. Here's the master server list servers.opennicproject.org/

Ok op why should anyone use openic if they are a active target at a tier one level? Many of their servers are pwned or have had ip's re assigned to divert to honeypots.

Can you elaborate on that "IP-reassignement"?

Evidence or didn't happen. The burden of proof is on you.

In a nutshell it is static ip assignment for ipv4 ranges in specific tier one setups. Technically you could do this for entire websites for a MITM if you grabbed the SSL cert of the server.

why do you want another root name server(s) or zone or whatever you faggots call it? DNS is bullshit no matter _who_ hosts it and _what_ their policy is. why the fuck do i care about dnssec???? im pretty sure dnssec was just created by some nigger who thinks the only way to do MITM is by exploiting DNS

Because with DNS, we're back to dialing numbers?
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure people use DNS for this reason. Also let's you move your server around and still have people finding it.

I take it ipv6 is safe then?

You've presented zero evidence of this claim.
You've presented zero evidence for a practical implementation of this redirection method besides a hypothetical explanation of the premise.

At the present time, nothing that has been posted has made either of these premises likely, if even remotely possible, reality.

Though if your "IPv4 redirection" is only possible via that address protocol, the presence of IPv6 addresses for our Tier 1 and 2 servers should provide protection against such an attack.

Yes, we are another root zone, for the reason specified in an earlier post. We are aware that there are other vectors by which communication can be compromised.

This still provides no particular reason why we shouldn't pursue the remedies we are in OpenNIC, or invalidate our reason for participation in and promotion of a separate organization to realize those solutions.

My only problem is having some actual reliable with actual uptime servers in Australia, japan, nz, near and in oceanic areas. Although you could argue that having servers in Australia is kind of retarded.

Would anyone be willing to crowdfund tier 2 servers?

Yeah, there's not many operators in the far east. I'm going to look at getting something in singapore or HK, but it's hard to find a non-western company offering hosting, since I don't speak local.

Just wave a bag of rice.
Not only they get the idea, it will pay server costs for 6 years.

Your joking but there might be a case where that is true.

You can't schlomo/tla here will shut it down if you host your own DNS not provided by one of the controlled opposition providers i.e (((ICCAN))) and (((openNIC))). With jews, you lose.

I wasn't trying to schlomo, just asking if people would be willing. I know there are some here who aren't technologically literate enough to set these things up for themselves but still want it in their area. Maybe I should just make a snapshot that can loaded onto a VPS.

I think some people might be willing to do that, not sure how you would make yourself trustworthy and accept the money though

Sage for Holla Forumstards

This is a nice meme, but you have still failed to demonstrate how our service is at all related to a certain Semitic people and have merely quoted sections of a post to convey ominous intent.

You have also contributed no reasonable alternative to the services provided by OpenNIC, or offered anything constructive to this thread.

>You can't schlomo/tla here will shut it down if you host your own DNS not provided by one of the controlled opposition providers i.e (((ICCAN))) and (((openNIC))). With jews, you lose.
Nobody has stated this at all. Honestly, TLDs are governed rather independently of one another in OpenNIC since every TLD is proposed by its own charter group, so peering each other's domains in OpenNIC is really a matter of mutual benefit. We also peer Namecoin and Emercoin too without any reciprocity, and also peer New Nations domains which is a separate organization from our own.

If you wanted to start "anonNIC" I don't think there's anyone who would object to another group challenging ICANN, even if they weren't working directly with OpenNIC.

Though you're probably too busy bikeshedding here to accomplish something like that.

I'd just set up the T2 server on your own and give it like a year before you ask for help. You should be able to find fairly inexpensive VPS services that can do the job at lowendbox.com/ with ease. Sponsored servers are a thing, and it'd be neat to see 8ch.net/tech/ listed as a T2 sponsor, but you're probably putting the cart before the horse asking about how you're going to fund it in the long term.

Yeah that was a little premature on my part. Should have 1-2 Tier 2 servers up by Friday.

There he goes giving himself away as a confirmed shill. That website you are shilling for is owned by cianiggers. Gas yourself for low quality shilling and then improve your shilling you nigger.

Next time don't go full force with recomending a single honeypot. Make sure to recomend websites you are currently targeting along with honeypots. Might catch a few more frogs that way.

You couldn't be any less predictable unless you were a literal kike instead of a crypto kike.

That which is easily presented without evidence can be just as easily dismissed.
And he's right: you HAVEN'T provided an alternative.
Even if what he's saying is retarded (there's a good chance, I'm not as tech litterate as I want) that leaves us with what? Normal DNS and ICCAN?
The first time I noted something was amiss was 3 years ago when my country blocked the piratebay.
I asked around, someone popped me a link to OpenNic and in 5 minutes shit went through.
Had I taken advice like yours, I'd be sitting here looking at a 403 or wathever the error code was.

I'm not even saying that you're wrong. The whois for that site looks shady to me.
But out of both choices, I'll take anything that challenges ICCAN any day of the week.

/g/ strikes again

If you are using GNU/Linux, you should know how to change your DNS server by now.

Though here's a set of scripts that you can use to automate this process:

github.com/Fusl/opennic-resolvconf-update

Don't really know if running this checks out for your average NetworkManager'd distribution though, think you gotta fire up nm-connection-applet and do it on a per connection basis.

Or, y'know, change it on your router.

You could host your own dnsmaskq server on openbsd with non arm/x86 hardware and offer a dnscrypted mirror of (((ICCAN's/OpenNIC's))) servicesgoogle it if you don't understand. After that become a tier three cucked provider if you aren't extremely rich or a tier two with crowd funding. But if you do that and don't log/give information freely to (((them))) then you get (((suicided))) or (((shutdown))) eventually. For example by IP redirects. Or by ZOG blocking your services on all their controlled tier one providers. Which is to say all providers besides syria, iran, and north korea. As is happening with alt-kike websites. Unless you become your own tier one ISP, with no less then a army to protect the dns server from all of ZOG, then you are fucked in the long run. (((They))) want privacy for no goys.

Well shit, I've been caught. Behold, the horrors I intended to lure unsuspecting internet-goers into with my elaborate honeypot operation! I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling posters and your stupid echoes!

Oh the fucking irony.

Anyways, yes, you could do this. It'd be a lot of effort to purchase a POWER / MIPS / H2 machine, though POWER seems to be getting a revival albeit for the high-end workstation / server market; It'll cost a fortune though.

You'll then wrangle with OpenBSD's dated software stack missing no less than or two years worth of updates and be stuck with an operating system only relevant still as a basis for NAS and routing software.

Or, y'know, you could just use GNU/Linux and install dnsmasq on a livable distribution. There's also unbound, which I've heard nice things about as a caching DNS resolver.

I still don't see where the conflict is here.

>what is (((redhat)))

Completely avoidable? Devuan, Gentoo, and Arch Linux all exist, there's a whole ecosystem of systemd-free operating systems and an increasing number switching to OpenRC for init.

You could also use CloverOS, if you like placebo.

Just a note that an opennic tld can only be reached by people using opennic dns servers. That means Tor users can't reach it, probably most vpns won't connect to it, and most people using run-of-the-mill isp, google etc dns servers can't reach it. If you want an encrypted connection, it's either tls or find a vpn that uses opennic dns servers, or run your own vpn.

These are legitimate concerns that do affect the use case for OpenNIC but can be resolved through the popularization of the name space. It is not impossible to use OpenNIC through these services, just that most people providing them publicly will not support it.

The solution is awareness, evangelization, and volunteer efforts by OpenNIC users and proponents to get things like OpenNIC-compatible exit nodes and VPN services going.

So, who the fuck does own OpenNIC? Where do they get their funding? Why can't I find any information about them on their site?

Because the answers are "no one" and "nowhere". All of the T1 servers are essentially federated, and T2 servers slave off of them.
The only centralized component is the root zone generation for ICANN compatibility, which is done by a guy named Jeff

You had one job, nigger!
Does this mean, I can make AXFR transfer and download all internets myself?

So if Jeff gets suicided, people using OpenNIC lose acess to "normal-web"?
That doesn't sound too bad as long as people set up enough services on OpenNic.
Prop up some file sharing sites, a few social media ones and some other random crap and I'll call Jeff to shut it down.
I'll name it "Internet 2.0" and never look back.

A guide on how to set up DNScrypt with OpenNIC can be found on the Wiki:

wiki.opennic.org/opennic/dnscrypt

I mean, it's not like it would be terribly complicated to replicate, but yeah, lets go with that

Bumped

Interesting, In your opinion, is OpenNIC better that namecoin?

No need to chose between the two; OpenNIC peers Namecoin and Emercoin domains.

They both have their use cases and different intents as DNS options honestly, Namecoin uses a blockchain to store DNS records and changes to those records are done via transactions on the blockchain, in a completely decentralized fashion. OpenNIC is a more traditional DNS group with human input and governance, and is subject to a democratic process.

It is a matter of preference, really.