Mantra

a thread for manta be it her malibu comics or her time with marvel

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Mantra
sequart.org/magazine/2508/ultraverse-ten-years-later/
archive.is/B2r3o
cbr.com/290513-2/
mantraverse.com/)
castaliahouse.com/the-ship-of-ishtar-part-eight/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who is this semen demon?

Fuck off to cuckchan.

IT'S A TRAP

You're right.

My boner is so confused…

Ain't nothing to be confused about.

No

Its not gay if she has a female body

Unless you're planning to storytime, fuck off you filthy refugee.

we got a why boner here.

I am fairly certain that if this character was written today Holla Forums would hate it due to "how much womyn have it rougher than men".

this is all I have

Did it bump one of your waifu threads off page one?

You do know there is a comic available to storytime right?
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Mantra

Anyone else miss revealing heroine costumes?

Maybe not gay to be attracted to. But short of celibacy, how would Mantra not be gay?

link doesn't work

I remember Prime had a huge hard-on for her.

too bad for Prime that she's not into dudes

Lol, yeah, she/he had to let him down HARD.

Hey Truthseeker

didn't mantra kiss a woman in one comic?

Kill yourself OP

Noice.

If neither of them are really women, but they both have the bodies of women, does that mean it's twice as gay?

This is what the future of ERPing will be like.

I'm pretty sure this is what the present of ERPing is like.

Beat me to it.

Wow, you know what the opinion of every single poster on Holla Forums is?
Quick, tell me the lottery numbers, O wise sage!

Kill yourself ya filthy refugee.

Alright since the OP acted a like pure cancerous nigger as there's only one way to satisfy some folks curiosity about what in flying fuck Mantra is, why the Ultraverse shit is being shown, and why for all intents and purposes the OP is also a lying faggot about his favorite fetishes.

But first a proper history needs to be given to the young'uns about the context that this book existed in.

So the Ultraverse, for those who aren't in the know was a rather interesting company line built at Malibu Comics at the height of the 90's speculator boom. Which came along after Malibu itself had been well established from the B&W boom of the late eighties also aiding and consolidating various B&W comics from smaller indies like Eternity.

sequart.org/magazine/2508/ultraverse-ten-years-later/

So I bit of the TL;DR, you get eight great bronze aged comic writers / editors, Mike W. Barr, Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber, James D. Hudnall, James Robinson, Len Strazewski, and Gerard “Jury is sadly still out on what the fuck just happened in San Fran or it's just the damn alphabet agency fucking with my puter'” Jones, teaming up with SF veteran author Larry Niven, to bust out wholesale an entire shared universe from the get go, complete with large character bibles and the like, instead of the organic way some shared universes tend to be built.

It also included a big emphasis on making sure unlike DC or Marvel Baby at the time, that there would proper compensation for the creators with all of them getting shares of the sales as opposed to the standard WFH fare at the time. Which made sense because of the creators rights revolution going full swing at the time.

archive.is/B2r3o / cbr.com/290513-2/

Oh and did I also mention that this was the same time that Image comics was being apprenticed by Malibu as well? Well I just did, and now you faggots will kinda now the whole story. Well I am skipping over how Malibu died, the spec bubble imploding, and Marvel and DC destroying the non returnable comics middle markets by fucking up with exclusivity contracts, but you folks now that part of the story.

Now I think I can garner why one faggot wants to talk about this book. It's like reading an edge property that involves… let's face it more than one odd sexual fetish quirk you read in the 90's, like say reading Futaba-Kun Change or Ranma 1/2 (for finding an early Japanese futa artist site) back in the late nineties in your teens before waltzing off to the university LGBTXYZAXELFC++ west coast pilates pozzy party with Buddy Boy in the 2000's (^^pictured above next to Futaba-kun or chan?^^). So I can see why say an autist might want to spank out a fan page or two (see for it's rather short run, it kinda was like a unique train wreck unlike anything else in the market. But then again, I grew up in Canuckistan where I was raised on Bande Dessins and 2000AD reprints, and Saga of the Swamp Thing in my library. I might just be that damn biased.

(see mantraverse.com/) done fucked up the link in the last post.

Now having gone through some issues thanks to the user here , I went and got a chance to read a few issues and I must say, that Mantra as a comic overall, is really not that good. We're not talking Linkspergally levels of pozzy “this is not up to virtue signalling stuff”. It's more like there's a whole lot of concepts crammed into a compact idea of a story, but there's none of the pulp vertical slicing or direction that would make it work (like say a Jack Kirby story). We have the single mother family element, a Highlander-esque reincarnating presence, a wholesale fantasy realm, government intrigue, a classic Mage The Ascention type war, and 90's “sisterhood” crap that was innocuous at the time, but now seems cancerous being slipped in their every once in a while. It just feels as if there just wasn't much in the way of focus, and not much gets fleshed out before the 6th issue, which in typical 90's fashion breaks continuity in favor of the Ultraverse Breakthrough crossover at the time. Which means it just keeps tumbling along (pun may or may not be intended), kinda losing it's own pace and growth as an individual title out a grand line. And it doesn't help that our immortal warrior is kinda well a winy biatch half the damn time. Elric he is not.

Or should I say *insert 50 brazillion Hue flavors of indecipherable pronouns here*?

Even the whole mystic feminine mystic awakening vs. masculine physical strength is a neat concept but the execution is kinda wonky and cludgy. I mean it's no The Ship of Ishtar if you know what I mean: castaliahouse.com/the-ship-of-ishtar-part-eight/. Now imagine waking up and that's what you feel like in the prime of a mystically infused female priestess body, that's been playing a near eternal male champion, and mind and body slowly rewriting yourself to fit that role.

But seriously go read that blogpost if you want to now how to do transcendent mystical femininity right. Oh hell, just go to Project Gutenberg and read A. Merritt's The Ship of Ishtar and wonder why no one amongst you or other latter day authors in any frame of western media have the balls to do that anymore.

In the hands of a better editorial things would have been more fleshed out, and there'd be a better sense of grounding all of these ideas, and Mike Barr's talents on this book would have shone better. But hey, it's like most ow the edgemaster work of the 90's, lots of curazee ideas, but nothing quite sticks the landing.

In the hands of a better editorial things would have been more fleshed out, and there'd be a better sense of grounding all of these ideas, and Mike Barr's talents on this book would have shone better. But hey, it's like most ow the edgemaster work of the 90's, lots of curazee ideas, but nothing quite sticks the landing.

So without further ado, whip out your phreshest Adidas, jump on your skateboard, crank the Walkman, slap in your Lucsious Jackson tapes, pull that giant Flavor Flav clock outta your pants and prepare for 90's edge storytime fellas…

Pouches and warrior face paint not included

Tommy Sotomayor would not approve of this nigger bailing, but hey we've got a Mage war to get to in the first five pages baby (replete with a magical Mr. Stabby dude).

And hey the bad guys boss is a cyber wizard, or something.

Oh well, at least an user started Storytiming, now that we've settled the fetishes in Mantra.

And now entroducing from stage right an impossibly hot single mom with buffant hairs for days baby.

Hey some of us always remember to deliver user. Sad that some anons couldn't even be arsed to get you even fan art.

And another brother bails on his girlfriend in favor of getting back to the bros before hoes.

BUT SUDDENLY A TWIST!

First thin any man reincarnated in a woman's body, is checking the tits, always. That is unless you reincarnated into Lena Dunham eating cake in the bathroom, and you vow to get a gym membership and get fit or kill yourself.

*Rich Evans monotone voice* Oh no, the costume too revaling…Oh my that's so fucking shocking…ooo that joke is so original…
Sad to know that this shit regarding progressives complaining about revaling costumes in comics is just gonna get worse from here. But hey it was the 90's for some their salad days.

And now issue #2! Who is that mystery man who clearly carries giant guns around and wears an obvious logo on his chest? What is is name? Slim Shady? Seven Pesos Pete?

Oh and Mantra has yet to get the mask (not that Mask, but it would be more entertaining if it was that).

90's kids, so trustworthy of mysterious swole strangers showing up in their home with belt pouches.

And of course his name is Warhawk, as Conflict Beagle has already been taken.

And so now having taken over a single mom's body, she's now acting well, like a typical single mom, bribing kids to get some space.

Oh and do we get to know her husband, her friends, or even what her day job is, or get a chance to get the personalities of the kids our immortal warrior now has to take charge of?

Fuck you! You get none of that shit, cause we gotta get to the wizard torture!

This is my realm, from here I am a god of pain with a living skull belt! Now some make up tips from the studio audience!

The mid season power up has finally been delivered. *Bane voice* But sadly Mr. Warhawk's game was so bad, that his plane crashed before it even took off.

Grace, beauty, power of the elemen… ah shit I forgot about the cannon fodd…ah I mean the kids! Also featuring the really cool fight sequence you vaguely remembered from watching the movie Gamer.

Lol, for a second I thought it was Bloodstorm from Steve Gerber's Sludge.
Orange tights, trenchcoat, facepaint, crewcut…
The 90's swole warrior so generic, they only bothered even giving him a name the second time he showed up.

And now part 3, how will she escape of Clonus Project boy band? Are the kids safe? Or are we just fuck with everybody and shove a rado jobber villain for no god damn reason?

You decide!

mantra is a MILF?

Yup and the look on your face when you figured that out.

'''And finally we get the first hero name drop of the book! Sound the MLG horny horns!"

Once again, Mantra, world's worst Mom, and most forgetful mage, forgets about her kids and her plumbing again.

And you gotta admit the kids caught on pretty quick. Some authors would've just dragged that bit out a while.

But we still have a mystery to solve right? The whole Judas shebang, but fuck you, jobber must job in story.

Welp we got the gigantism fetish out of the way, now back to the mystery? For a page and a half? Before the jobber shows up again?

Nigga, that's a stretch. None of those series preached marxist identity politics.

True they may not have spoken identity politics for most normal folks, but I can see those that had more than one wire crossed growing up being "inspired" by these works for all of the wrong reasons. e.g. Any Mary Sue article blabbering about Sailor Moon and warping it into any number of personal issues they think said media represents for them.

So we had a pointless fight with Mantra's former comrades and they're dead. What was the point of this fight again?

Ah well we've got a whole another realm to get to folks in issue #4!

And now we get to issue #4.

For Boneyard is READY!

Eh you knew the obvious callback with a name like that for our magic not-Deathlok.

Now if you're wondering why I don't have a lot of cooky quirky snark right now, it's due to the fact the pure fantasy segment of the story is more cohesive and well fits the motif better.

And thanks to the rapid pace, it works.

And so, we've finally got the whole origin shebang done. More or less.

Sidekicks, main foe, second realm established.

So where do we go from here, new villains, fresh challenges, stronk womyn trying to work without no man?

Oh you're expecting higher standards after that back to back action block.

damn is is better than modern marvel!

So as promised here's the fifth issue, which might make you wander, were do we go from a hyper compressed fantasy quest escape story?

To toontown?

Because that's just what you do when you busted chops to establish just about everything in your first four issues. Umm, yup. Issue five folks.

Annnnnd we're back at Strauss, and maybe something's moved on the status quo?

Allirght we have a new foe! Umm, who's bitch is that? And Mantra comes crashing back home and forgot to memorize her charm spells again.

Off to work we go. Umm are we ever going to know what her actual day job is? Are we going to see her former husband? And she's got a new government position about something? And Lukasz's dumb behavior just caused misery for a close friend AND a suicide?

Will any of these questions be answered? Nope. Now it's time for wacky Acme gags y'all.

And after that non encounter (which didn't amount to much) we jump briefly back home where the kids found a comic or photomag, that somehow leads her to a sleezy photoshoot.

And remember Holla Forumsmrades, all women are sisters lads.

The whole idea of the toon story kind of falls down when the artists can't seem to draw in a cartoony style.
Really, toon Mantra is Mantra with bigger eyes and a stupid expression.

it's a 90's comic cut it some slack

Does Lukasz ever accept that he's stuck in a woman's body and go full mystical trans-lesbian?

Wew lads, and with this last sequence we get the last of the fetishes out of the way, and get an ending that wouldn't be seen too outta place on a Saturday morning cartoon.

*cue Sad Trombone*

lol

Boneyard as in the comic that was just storytimed!?

as in the malibu comics villain

Hey Truthseeker

This is a dumb meme you're trying to force, friend.

Kill yourself OP

This Boneyard has nothing to do with the comic book storytimed.

my dick is confused

anyone else reminded of jessica rabbit when they see this cover?

Reminds me more of that Wonder woman cover where the current Wonder Woman sees the old one.

Jeez. Those bodies both just look so unnatural. Least the Mantra cover was a little better.

didn't she fight doctor doom?

look at this a comic book character that can make SJWs and MGTOWs go REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

For those wondering, the red head isn't "really a woman" because she's a robot named Candy (alias: Electrocute). She was built as a sexbot, so I guess she plays for both teams.

With the one on the left i think its the lack of hips. Thats something that Adam Hughes the artist of this pic has had trouble with. The one on the right is the older artstyle which does look weird by modern standards. In fact a lot of older comics artwork looks weird by modern standards.

Kill yourself

this looks like terry dodson's style

OP didn't posted any anime, Manga or weeb shit videogame character.

best one in his/her story yet

If she can get pregnant and give birth to a healthy human child that it's a female. Regardless of what "spirit" inhabit her.

Are you saying you'd knock Mantrap up?

gotta storytime this to know what happens on his/her moonwalk

oops

Hell yes

wew, good times in the 90s and some awkward stuff with western comics trying to do gender-bender stuff, and it being all awkward and outrage by religious groups or soccer moms.

mantra gets around in the ultraverse

it's coming full circle

FYI mantra can have children

and that is how prime got a crush on mantra

and now to trigger MGTOWs

what kind of name is Lukasz?

Are you going to storytime or what faggot?

give it time this is a big one

in a 90s comic?

If Dodson is the penciller then why don't I recognize his art style?

Is it because his wife Rachel didn't ink his work?

I think that he worked on Mantra before he was married.

oh we got girl on girl happening here

Please tell me the real Eden Freeman is going to return to her body.

This 'hero' who possesses other people's bodies without knowing what's happening to their souls is not to my liking.

you mean Edan Blake going by this story I think that she's still knocking around in her body

a 1500 year old warrior turned sorceress and single mother of two

V.S

a man hating warrior queen

Thanks OP

bump

Thanks for the storytime and the clarification.

this is gonna be good

so much for turning back into a man

before I story time this let me just holy cringe the cover.

better than anything marvel is making these days.

look at this cover!

bad joke

Mantra's hot but a dude. Is this who Aerosmith made that song about?

man Malibu had the best variant covers

WHAT THE HELL

An accented version of Lucas?

Correct, you say it like Lucash.

Aaaaand just like that Eden is back in her own body. If the characters only had known before how easy that would have been.

going by this cover mantra can get pregnant

you act like you never seen looney tunes

This is my fetish, but this comic is so fucking weird that it's hard to find any of this enjoyable.

Damn, that's pretty heartbreaking.

mantra must be something if she going three rounds with one of marvel's biggest villains

everyone is falling in love with mantra must be a hidden power of hers

What's not to love?

the feminists will like her

WTF

does anyone know if mantra is a lesbian?

can't make a comic like this theses days.

Dude or not mantra is hot

Look at her you can't make em like here anymore.

One of Dobson's lesser known works.