How to make an imageboard?

Hey /g/
I'm pretty tech illiterate, I've built my own PC but that was pretty much just putting legos together.
My question is, what would I have to learn and what would I need in order to start an imageboard (ex. 4chan, Holla Forums). I figure moot and hotwheels managed it and I feel that with better moderation and actual effort put into one I could make a pretty great one, been lurking here since 08.

So what would I need? Like what programs, what should I learn to make it so that users and admins post anonymously?

Other urls found in this thread:

es6-features.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What would make your imageboard better than the hundreds that already exist?

I really like Holla Forums's sort of "build your own board" setup but the whole deal with Jim and the shady shit behind the scenes is unpleasant

Ideally I'd like to have a few official boards with really good moderation that filters so that posts have to contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way which isn't needlessly biased. However i'm aware that people want to choose how to run their own boards so beyond the main boards people can do whatever as long as it isn't pedoshit.

Overall I'd like to have a greater degree of customization, but with some anchor boards with good moderation with more anonymity and less sort of potential for government intervention. Those are the big things I think could be improved, though I'm sure I missed some things

sorry originally posted to 4chan but spam filter wouldn't let me post

Before wasting any of your time even thinking about the technical aspects of how to make it, tell us how you plan to get users to use your imageboard? It used to be that simply creating an innovative new place where people could talk was enough to attract users who'd commit their time and effort into creating a community. But now people have a luxury of choices of where to spend their time online. It doesn't matter how great your board is, if there's no users, no ones going to exert any effort in trying to grow a community of users for you.

Do you have any experience in growing a community from zero?

you have to go back

Honestly I'm looking to create discussion boards for politics, history and art. I haven't really found any good ones with decent moderation. The biggest ones are Holla Forums /mu/ and various reddit boards but all of those are mostly shitposting, off topic, and no actual discussion actually occurs.

I mean you just have to stop by those boards to see that no actual discussion is occuring, and I feel that a lot of users are frustrated by that, hell i know i am. To have the opportunity to discuss things without every other post being absolutely useless would be a welcome change of pace. I'm pretty far along in a STEM degree so I definitely feel I have the head to get this all worked out, I just need to know where to start.

>>>/sp/ get

oh shit

On a board this slow? Talk about picking low-hanging fruit.

You're fucking scum.

God damn you sportsball faggots!

Are you jewish OP? Only jewish people are allowed to start new things.
See: moot

observed

Not even mad, Godspeed you fags.

Fucking Holla Forumstards

Don't start from scratch, just grab TinyIB and run that. You don't need to reinvent the wheel unless you really feel like you have something substantial to bring to the table (and even then you are still better off forking an existing IB to add shit in)

Trust me, existing imageboards have years of experience from a security standpoint. I could never get TinyIB running because I think its SQLite support is broken and I always went SQLite when running websites on my personal ARM PC server but that's just my personal caveat with that

thread redeemed
wew

That really you, /sp/?

Good job sportsman.

How will Holla Forums ever recover?!!

Download whatever Holla Forums or endchan uses, modify it to your needs.

If you're serious about this, I'd like to try to help.

assymetric post quantum diffeomorphic homoellipctic curve cryptography

You'd have to learn to code.
Despite what people will tell you here, NodeJS is a pretty good language if you're not autistic.

stop posting

What would you record to a beginner then, mr. Wise user?

Not that user, but if someone were to write imageboard running software from scratch, you might as well try something new. Maybe Erlang/Elixir? It's still interpreted and has nice concurrency support, as well as updating on the fly.

DE-RAILED1

Novices need a first language though.

Python then, it has alright support for making shit 'just werk' for the first time. Ruby (with or without Rails) is also an option.
I'm not recommending NodeJS because I'm not that familiar with it. Last time I tried it, the amount of packages I needed to download and keep updated was discouraging.

Node is better than Ruby and for web, better than Python (which is better for other things).

Yes, you need to download packages for everything or develop your own. However, this also means you're not tied to some terrible built-ins like PHP.

The new versions of Javascript have great features too; see es6-features.org/

As long as there's less shitty JS on the frontend, it'll automatically be better than this place. OP will also need to learn only one language, so I can see that working.
I still don't get why even the most minute, single-function shit is being included as a package sometimes.

I think they've learnt a thing or two when they included left-pad. That was a big drama.

Use Blazechan.

Python shouldn't be used outside of a high school coding class.