skarnet.org/software/s6/
invisible-island.net/
musl-libc.org/
mesa3d.org/
hooktube.com/watch?v=LexyO9RMzs0
brokestream.com/daf.txt
midnight-commander.org/
mobygames.com/game/dos/starflight/cover-art
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dean_(artist)
mobygames.com/game/rendezvous-with-rama/cover-art
freedos.org/
winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems
geocities.ws/oldternet/
youtube.com/watch?v=WIn58XoY728
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIR_(computer)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESM-6
computer-museum.ru/english/algol68.htm
computerhistory.org/atchm/the-elbrus-2-a-soviet-era-high-performance-computer/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIn58XoY728
youtube.com/watch?v=wIsIsHeiNHA
bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=23
wiby.me
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

affordable_sansa_clip+.tga

My dad owns one of those machines for making VHS tapes.

The original flash drive.

Hmm..

don't even fucking copy that floppy

how?

My dad used to have tons of floppy games, died 5 years ago and my retarded brother trashed them.

90s color printer commercial
youtube.com/watch?v=jPmwzwQz8So

SD card rammed inside that floppy.

didn't think floppy readers could do that, interesting.

Is there a guide to modding these?

They can't. It's a modded drive too.

youtu.be/vGnAr6SB65s

No OP.
The feels are too strong. I am bitter.

True in that case, but not necessarily so. Note that similar adapters were made for some other magnetic media like tape cassettes.

Oops, this was supposed to be pic 3.

damn, lots of electromagnetic radiation in that room. fuck CRTs.

It would be nice if I knew where the boxes were.

youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

malaise era apple commercials

the 90s are so distant now, I want to die

That Painter 3 box was so boss. I still have my dad's old copies of Photoshop 3 and Strata 3d. I don't think Durandal and Infinity are 68k compatible, but the original was. I'd love to have a Quadra 950 with SCSI Zip drive and Apple CD with the removable caddies for nostalgic purposes, but I don't have the room. Thank fuck for emulation.

I say box. It was a legit can.

These feels...

Mac emulation kinda' sucks, it can't even handle dev environments like Codewarrior or Think C, and a lot of oddball hardware is totally un-emulated. Much like the sorry state of OS 9 retrocomputing, I blame the fact that a much smaller portion of Mac users knew how to code.

As for Marathon, all of them (plus ZPC & DI) were definitely 68k FAT. What the later games may have dropped was (dog slow) '020/'030 support. I played a ton of M1 on my IIci, and a lot of the others on a 660av (which I still have, though in storage ATM), but I don't remember whether or not the later games ran on pre-'040 68ks. One thing you'll definitely need to keep in mind is RAM, which I always remember being the big bottleneck.

The translucent edge effect was pretty neat. Too bad they're still limited to the proprietary OS.

I remember how in any lab full of *N*X workstations during the 80s/90s, each generation of what was essentially the same machine would alternate between minitower and pizzabox cases in industry-wide trends.

if you can't copy a floppy can you at least stroke it?

If you'd ever had to use SunOS workstations you might remember the laser mice, especially their (required) mouse pads. Neat tech, but ultimately I'd much rather have had a better ball mouse that didn't require a thick metal pad.

I can see them making a comeback for (((collector's editions))). The main reason stores hated them was shelf space relative to price. There's an old PC 2D top down space game with freighters and such in a weird box I liked as a kid (although I remember it was hopelessly buggy) and can't remember the name of and it's been killing me.

My first computer was an Apple ][+, circa 1982, $1600 in 1982 dollars. It had a 1 MHz 8-bit 6502 CPU, 48K RAM, a 140K (per side) floppy drive, and a 40 column green-screen monitor. Applesoft BASIC and a little memory monitor and disassembler came installed on the motherboard. It was the funnest computer I ever owned.
I also had a Kaypro II and a Xerox 16/8 with an enormous 8MB hard drive. Those were both CP/M computers.
While the internet wasn't (supposedly) available for public use yet, there were hundreds of BBS systems online. Computer hobbyists were just as addicted to them as internet addicts are now.
Then the IBM PC happened, Microsoft became something more than a little company that sold MS BASIC, and it's been downhill ever since, except for Linux. Thank gahd for Linux.

How about this? There's linux distro for it.

Was old tech really more fun to use? People say it's nostalgia but I swear I was having genuine fun.

Whereas normalfags don't even seem to be enjoying their social media today. They seem to be in a permanent state of outrage while being milked for shekels. They enjoy it in the same way a crack head enjoys their millionth hit of crack. (Not much but it takes the edge off)

Windows CE was cool (and unfairly dismissed by the same Newton retards that went on to commend the PalmPilot, this coming from an Applefag amazed by both platforms' ability to make hardware equivalent to a late-model Quadra so slow and clunky), but the nod for best effort in this category undoubtedly goes to Psion's EPOC, and later Symbian platforms, still unsurpassed by anything else in terms of suitability to the hardware and practical concerns of mobile use.

Yes, it was definitely more fun, for two reasons IMHO.

First, tech back then (especially in the 1980s, less so in the 1990s) was still pre-monopoly, like the car industry in the early 1900s, so there was diversity among different manufacturers, divisions, economic sectors, technological approaches, and academic backgrounds, and even nationalities.

Second, neither waves of abstraction and formalization, nor the oppressive effects of giant economy-of-scale targets like the Internet (especially the web), MS Windows, and *N*X hadn't produced a "monoculture of possibilities" in the minds of designers. Smaller companies could still make a new platform or product from scratch, attract sympathetic users & devs, and enforce a special design without watering it down to resemble existing systems.

I think that's a pretty good summary.
Developing used to feel like a blank canvas, where as now it's too opinionated. I never bothered with mobile dev for that reason, because the plantation owners set all the rules and you're effectively working for them whatever you do.

Yes, it's the kids that are wrong.

Probably because PCs in general were a rather new thing.

I think it was mostly because there was exploration and the enjoyment of discovery in the early PC days, especially with web 1.0 being a magical place where you could find all sorts of cool shit. And PCs were fun to tinker with to see just how much shit you could do with your system and how far you could push it.

Nowadays the internet is heavily indexed and catalogued removing a lot of that feeling of discovery, and PCs really haven't innovated as significantly as they did in the past. All PCs have really been doing is getting thinner and more powerful, but also getting more bloated with NSA spyware and designed more and more with the lowest common denominator in mind making them idiot proof and less fun to tinker with.

Really in general, Jews and normalfags have ruined computing. Web 2.0 and smartphones were a mistake.

WinCE was a trainwreck and I still have nightmares from doing mobile development during that time. "Better than BREW" is the nicest thing I can say about it.

They were legitimately funner; the proof (for me anyway) is going back and emulating a lot of these old systems. The single biggest difference between old software and new software is their responsiveness. I guess programmers who had access to interrupts actually gave a shit about latency.

Apple was always overpriced. 1982, same processor, better video (bitmaps, sprites, 16 colors), better sound (3 voices with filters), 64kb ram 595$

Commodore 64

Apple ][ had higher-rez video (especially for text), and much faster floppy controllers.

Wow, it's been a while. I like how the flaslight looks like the classic Sonca flashlight.

C64 has a 40x25 text, each character being 8x8 pixels and you can redifne the font. Apple 2 got 80 colums only with an additional display card. The floppy drive on c64 has it's own cpu and ram. The built in disk routines are very likely slower than Apple, but it didn't take long for people to write their own loaders that were up to 10 times faster. And I mean like a year or two after the release of the computer.

Not really tech,
but...

Those programs were cool. One of those old shovelware discs we used to have had one for killing cockroaches that spawned on the screen, and neko, where a cat chases your mouse pointer around (exists as oneko on Linux these days). Let's not forget esheep.exe either!

sheeeeeit

Reminds me of desktop strippers...

Oh to drag up an old memory, Trumpet Winsock anyone? I've only got vague memories of this, and using it to connect to the Internet via modem. Can't find any decent videos or references to it but the connection was done with a series of commands, one was simply PPP.

I couldn't find a screenshot of an old desktop. Sorry.

What happened to Microsoft? People used to be excited about the next version.

Why was the internet explorer lawsuit a thing? If people wanted they could download another browser.

What if we got windows 7 and all of it's greatness right after XP, and we didn't have vista and all of it's issues?

youtube.com/watch?v=zehUEikhvIw

MS had a number of internal debacles, such as the MS Word Pyramid project, or the Windows Longhorn project, ambitious projects to add fundamentally new features that were canceled in favor of incrementalism, peaking in the mediocrity of products like Office 97 & Windows ME. A brief respite was offered by the NT project being rolled out to all sectors with 2000/XP. More recently (Win Phone/RT/8/10), the success of iOS & the XBox has caused MS to attempt the destruction of the PC in favor of forcing PC users into a mobile/console-style walled garden and dumbed down consumption-only interface.

The IE lawsuit was because web browsers used to be products in their own right, funded by sales. MS changed things by using IE as a free loss-leader, killing the funding/market for all other browsers, and those browsers with it, until they could change their funding models (now by advertising/datamining deals) to produce the garbage browsers of today. Also, Netscape was angling to maneuver Navigator/Communicator into the OS market, dreaming to add enough features that it could compete against MS Windows.

What was wrong with Office 97? I don't remember it being that bad for the era.

This was more apparent in the Mac port, but the code was a creaking unmaintainable mess. 98 required a full rewrite in order for development to continue.

Battery finally died on mine. No longer portable.

Microsoft threaten retailers that they will not get windows on their computers if they don't install IE on it instead of netscspe

I miss CRT monitors.
I miss white desktop computers.
I miss Microsoft Encarta.
I miss Norton Commander.
Muh feelz.

In the late 90's, I used to play Warcraft II against my neighbor down the street, He didn't have a screaming fast 14.4kbps modem like I did, he was a 2.4kbps pleb. I had to read his modem manual and construct a massive ATZ command in order to configure it to dial my house. He was such a noob at Warcraft though and didn't want to get owned by me after a while, so I thought I was pretty good until battle.net came around.

I remember the first game my bro and his buddy across town played using a modem was Doom co-op, talking to each other via second lines. I also remember when Descent shipped, the devs held an online ladder tourney using the demo for a full copy, my bro only made it 4 games in.

Haha that's rad. I miss the days when the devs would interact with their customers like that. I bought the FPS game "Blood" in '98, and in the game credits, they ranked the game devs according to skill level, top down, and challenged you to contact them for a challenge. They said you better start at the bottom of the ladder before challenging the top guys, so I contacted the worst-ranked dev via email and challenged him for a deathmatch. I think this dude had been contacted many times, being the bottom ranked guy, because he was un-fucking-real in skill level. He was jumping all over the place and single-shotting me before I could react. It was pretty cool being able to play against a game dev though.

That was so much fun.

I didn't have internet till 2008 or 2007, but my friends dad was selling used computers, so his house was full of computers. We played lots of games on lan, mostly half life dm and some racing games. I love blood too. Too bad the source code is missing. Duke nukem and shadow warrior for source ports, but you still can only play the original blood in dosbox or on an old computer.

and they still are and they're still retarded. nobody here can even name more than 1 or 2 things changed from one version of windows to the next, and they usually can be done without building a new "product"

Windows 2000 was a seminal release.

I loved Bonzi Buddy when it used Microsoft's parrot agent. Then they changed to the nigger gorilla and I dropped that shit real quick.

What's wrong with a full rewrite? People bitch about the Bethesda reusing their ancient engine.

Have the battery rebuilt.

Photos from a Public Access Unix system I helped set up in 1991.

The year and histogram doesn't look right. Did you sepia tone the images?

I took a shit on your desk that's what I did

Jesus. I forgot about that shit. I used to play the shit out of that game when I was a kiddo.i

I'm dragging my feet on buying a VGA capture device. It would be neat to be able to record my older systems for demonstration and exhibition purposes, but I can't justify the stupid prices for even used capture junk.

This game is the shit. Recently beat the eden campaign. When i was a kid i would just fuck around with the colony games maps

Just get an fpga dev board.

Yamaha GS is for scrubs anyway. This is where it's at.

It's called "Black & White Film", Millennial.

The guy in the first photo, along with owning the 386SX16 hub for the network, also had a photography dark room. The overexposure also hints that he did these himself..

Kibo got more write-on votes for the 1992 American Presidential Election than Richard Stallman did. :{

I was clearly talking about the photos above that.

60's carpet 70's furniture 80's computer 90's date 10's tungsten lighting

Guy who posted the photos here. I got them off the homepage of Windmill Software, small company that made games in the 80s. digger.org/windmill.html

Sure is Reddit in here.

Hell knows why. Microsoft's products were never the best at anything. They were never innovative or particularly user-friendly.

As much as it sucked, each new version sucked less. Now they've started going backward in terms of functionality just like Apple.

I had the dos one where you assembled space ships with math
shit was tight

As unfinished and buggy it was I still love the first game.

The users tended to be friendly, which is why you can still find archives and repositories of fixes, patches, applications, scripts, and all other kinds of things to unfuck everything from DOS up.

that third pic looked like my room, but then I looked more closely and it was printers and solder equipment not pissbottles and chip bags

youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

get a portable battery

I originally assumed this was eastern Europe, but I can see Canadians using tungsten bulbs for heat.

High school. Lunch hour. All the geeks and gamers gathered in the computer room, turned off the lights, and held an hour-long LAN party every day. Chill CompSci teacher that made it all possible. Never again indeed :-(

If VR ever takes off, I wonder if laptops will be replaced with computers with keyboards built in but no screen, like in the 80s?
Or maybe they will just look like gaming laptops with the screen ripped off?

Oh man, I loved those old SGI machines. IRIX was a pretty nice OS too. About 5 years ago I had one that got lost in the mail and 7ish years ago I had one that broke in an accident. I'm temped to buy another but anything decent is pretty pricey and I don't think anyone is still porting much to IRIX like we had with nekochan, though I haven't looked into it much.

Even though I don't have any MIPS hardware at all I've thought about trying to run it in QEMU but the hardware was so specialized and so obscure that I doubt I'll be able to install it and boot to a working desktop. I have heard that 5.3 works in QEMU if you mess with it enough, though not very well. For the past couple months I've been playing around with MaXX Interactive which is basically the IRIX desktop ported to GNU/Linux. I was slightly pissed that it only works on 64-bit x86 machines running Fedora or Debian based systems but it's amazing on Core2 stuff. I really wish it ran on 32-bit x86 as well so I could use it on older machines that I have collecting dust due to software incompatibility. I'm pretty hyped for version 1.2.0 that's supposed to be out on the 15th.

Pic related is a ThinkPad T400 hooked up to an external monitor which I'm using as a secondary desktop for smaller tasks.

you should see the sequel

Cool. This kind of stuff is awesome. This is what computer art was. I can't believe we went from that to worshiping this modernest bullshit.

Fuck you. CRTs can display black properly. Go stare at your pozzed widescreen LCD.

Kidpix was the shit. That's how you knew you were cool, if your parents had that, or your dad pirated it for you.

I remember wasting so much time with that.

And they still fucked it up. You still can't have more than one version of office installed at a time without massive issues. They also used a bunch of non standard Win32 shit that renders them unusable on newer versions of Windows. In short, they didn't even follow their own design rules.

Nathan Lineback's page has/had tons of information on what happened back then. Some of the more interesting pages are gone, but you can still see them on archive.

I had one of those, the full one, interesting for the first hour, then not so much.

They were bulky, heavy and for every story of "muh CRT lasted me decades" nostalgia niggers conveniently forget the ones that craps out shortly after their warranty period, or the phosphor dying. But muh CRT. I'll still take an IPS or VA LCD even with it's perceived shortcomings by nostalgia niggers over CRT. Some things were not better in the olden days.
The plastic exteriors in some of those can yellow and discolor over time. The sheetmetal parts are usually ok though.
I miss when MS had decent peripherals. I had an intellimouse and keyboard that would not quit and only given away because it was no longer keeping up with my newer machines, though it was still functional after nearly a decade plus and lived through years of Diablo1 and 2 clickings. Compared to the MS mouse I bought where the rubberized side panels and rubber strip on the scroll wheel rotted off after a year, and the official pajeet response from MS was "vell it is time to poobably poorchuss a nu vhan sir, thank you come again".

Don't you know it? Voice recognition (powered by The Cloud™) is the future, goy!
hashtag include less than es tee dee eye oh dot eightsh greater than newline

90s looked like shit

tfw no 32GB fake floppy

Get out.

That's only because tech product back then were mainly marketed to people who knew how tech worked.

I bought an apple IIe a few years ago, it's so fucking rad.
Monochrome green monitor, dual five inch floppy disk drive included, and even has a 80-column card installed. The only issue is that one of the keys is broke off the keyboard and I just never got around to trying to fix it.

Fuck planned obsolesence. Where did my tank-like laptops and washers go?

Yes but it was only for compatible floppy drives and with specific software installed.

Some macros made for excel for example would be viruses and people didn't know. I don't know if this is still the case.

I came here to post this.

Here's Zork instead.

Not only that, but modern search engines focus on popularity first, with relevancy a distant second. It's led to a "rich get richer" effect where the top results for everything are wikipedia, facebook, and youtube. I seriously blame pagerank for ruining the internet.

Oh fuck, guys. Please stop. The Win95 nostalgia is overwhelming. Is there a linux version of esheep? I miss my sheep.

This new computer case I got

I miss the big belt cables desktops use to have

have you tried the look/feel of pure html like diogn.es ?

That's a good way of putting it.
Because you still use javascript and css anyway. You even embed google analytics.
Yet the site looks like actual garbage.

ive got an IBM PS/2 Model 30 with the 8086 processor sitting in a box in my garage, got it for 10 bucks and cleaned it up to find that it works
only issue is getting PC-DOS on it and tbh i dont really give a shit enough to do that

any ideas for stuff i could do with it? Expansion cards, neat software, etc? I really just want some excuse to go actually install an OS on it and dick around with it for a bit

Turrican is fucking rubbish to play these days though. But the soundtrack on amiga is superb.

A friend of mine made a website that's almost pure HTML. He just uses a tiny bit of css to center text. I think it looks fine.

Garbage sites. Here are good ones (only one without any CSS):
skarnet.org/software/s6/
invisible-island.net/
musl-libc.org/
mesa3d.org/

Philips P2000T, one of the first computer i ever used as far as my memories go.

Monkey Island..... aaaaaaaah the best ever.

I am just old enough to remember when Windows95 came out. People acted like AppleStore fan boys, it was insane.

All those books about how to make games in BASIC and machine language.

Creature Shock -- Amazing cutscene graphics for the time, but weak game play.

I think the whole point of those old machines is there's no OS crap to get in your way. Plain old DOS or CP/M is fine, but the ROM BASIC machines are even better, because there's no delay when you hit reset button and the system always reverts back to a clean state. Contrast that with modern cianigger botnet indoctrination machines where you're always fucking around with packages, configurations, upgrades, virus scanner and/or other security shits. All of it is such a huge waste of time. Time better spend playing and making games or other creative things.

Write your own OS for it.

Archimedes A3000

Why apple drop the ball hard with the Pippin?

it was way ahead of it's time with the way it connected to the net.

Also when will apple go back to it's older asthetics? it's design is not fresh anymore. I love the gen 4's design with the metal bumper,and that's the only new apple design i like.

Pippin was like 3DO without EA. Even Sega Saturn was cheaper and more capable. Gil Amelio spread Apple too thin making garbage similar to the trashcan MacPro. It was all super expensive, and super proprietary. I mean, look at this shit. The RAM might have been the only thing standard.

That looks very similar to the logic board of the PPC Performa line.

It was originally designed for the Quadra 630, but continued on in the PPC Performas. The PowerMac 7X00 series was a somewhat novel idea, but it was still very expensive. Apple didn't seem to grasp or care about industry standards at the time. Now that Steve Jobs is gone, they're slipping back into old bad habits. Maybe they don't even care now that they're an iThing company.

Why?

Where can a nigga buy some early 90s PC cases?

Imagine a 3.5" NAND floppy at moddern SDXC density per square mm.

Adlib Tracker is open source and still in development. Get a good OPL3 sound chip in there and you have a music machine.

AT PC cases are more expensive on ebay than ATX cases are brand new. You might get lucky at a Goodwill Computer store, but chances are they'll slap a high price on them as well.

We Live in Public is a great documentary and has some nice time capsules of Internet culture from the late 90s and early 00s. Combination sex raves and DOOM LAN parties, underground lawless bunkers, dialup-era online streams, you name it.
hooktube.com/watch?v=LexyO9RMzs0

I am Abuc, master of locks.

Does anyone know much about the soviet stuff?

Say what you want about the soviets, but they had some really fucking cool technology for sure.

It's pretty neat seeing all the hackjob clones of western computers that came out of the Soviet Union. Especially that one where they squeezed a minicomputer into a single chip. It's pretty impressive seeing all that homegrown stuff that popped up due to the relative isolation from capitalist nations. It kind of sucks that they lagged behind in the late 80s/early 90s though. X-COM for the Spectrum happened though, so there's that.

All "their" mass market computers were Sinclair and IBM clones. The very few actual Soviet designed computers rarely made it out of a handful of laboratories.

.doc files are raw memory dumps, including any leftover garbage you thought was deleted. That's why a completely blank document is ~40kb and files only grow in size, also why newer versions had to be treated as a contagion in the enterprise because it made forward compatibility impossible.

They had a ternary computer with a forth like language made for it.
brokestream.com/daf.txt

1) No in-house 1st-party dev, no exclusive 2nd-party devs, no major 3rd-party devs.
2) Weak specs, in particular, no graphics acceleration at all. Something like a Performa 6400 w/Rage 2 (or even the Quadra 630's DSP) would've been on par with most other 32-bit systems, a stronger GPU & more aggressively clocked CPU (probably with more cooling) would've easily exceeded the specs of the PSX/N64/Saturn (incidentally, the "Project Katana" Sega Dreamcast proposal, 603e w/ Voodoo II, was about what the Pippin should've been IMHO).
3) Little advertising or distribution. I never saw anything in rental shops or most game distributers from the likes of Nintendo & Sega (or even 3D0 & Atari), nor the swathes of infomercials used by WebTV & TiVO in the multimedia market.
4) Not strictly compatible with Macs. While "porting" Mac games to the Pippin was pretty simple, users couldn't simply plop one onto the other like a modern Steam Machine (or the older CDTV), without a bit of tinkering. In spite of this, hardware was sold at profitable full price, without the loss-leader devkit taxes typical to consoles. A more Steam Machine-like approach, both allowing more Mac software to work on the Pippin, and allowing Mac software to operate in a "TV mode", hearkening back to set-top PC platform giants like the C64 & MSX, may have been more successful.

>Muh lowest common denominatorstandard IBM compatibility
It was proprietary designs that gave Apple (and other non-wintel platforms) a huge tech lead over wintel, even some non-wintel standards (SCSI, NuBus, Open Firmware, etc.). The shift to PCI, IDE, PC DIMMs, VGA, USB, and eventually x86, is what did in the Mac. Current Year™ Apple's proprietary designs aren't comparable at all, since they're just unoriginal wintel/Android junk, but with a tiny alteration purely to break compatibility.

Not all of them, some were incredibly bizarre "PC" versions of western mainframe platforms, like the PDP-11-compatible, Apple ][-sized BK-0010.

am i doing it right

What on earth is that rope thing by your window? It looks hideous and nigger made.

Those were flower pot holders.

like this

Are you stupid, or retarded?

Ahh, I see.

I leave being those to you.

▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄ ▐█ ▓███████████ ▓████████ ▄█████████▄ ▓███ ▓███ ▐█ █▌ ▓███ ▓███ ▓███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▓███ ▓███ █▌ ▐█ ▓███ ▓███▄▄ ▓███ ▓██████████ ▐█ █▌ ▓███ ▓█████ ▓███ ▓███▀▀▀▓███ █▌ ▐█ ▓███ ▓███ ▓███▄ ▓███ ▓███ ▐█ █▌ ▓███ ▓████████ ▓███████████▄ ▓███ ▓███ █▌▐█ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▐█

I used one of those with a MacSE in 1988

Install Midnight Commander, if you don't have it already (assuming you're running a linux distro). midnight-commander.org/

It's an open source clone.

No one thinks you're funny, dude. If you want to be a board parasite and shitposter, go to >>>/g/ or >>>/cuckchan/. Either lurk moar or get out. If you can't handle a sincere tech discussion, just get out.

RIP BTRON 1984-1989

Stay triggered

Anybody got the phone #?

602-861-1872 | Anime Archive | PHOENIX, AZ (1992) SYSOP | Brad Turner

1992 was a good year. Wish I could stay there forever.

Anyone remember that feel?

I still sometimes play quakeworld on a server on a different continent just to experience that feel. Although most of the people that play now are so good that they would wipe the floor with you even if you had the advantage in latency.

FidoNet is only a tiny part of the BBS scene though. Most posts were made on local message bases, and occasionally small networks of local boards that relayed messages to each other. But most of that is lost now, or rotting away on HDD or floppies in someone's closet.
The currently active telnet/ssh BBS's aren't archived either. You have to login with username/password, so a simple web crawler won't do it, unless the board also has a public web interface, or unless a user downloads all messsages in QWK format or something.
Anyway just shoving all the text into a web interface doesn't capture the BBS experience, where every board had their own custom interactive text interface, often with nice ASCII/ANSI art. And in the case of local area code BBS, you talked to people you knew IRL or could get together with and have a beer. Sometimes local boards would organize events like picnics where you could meet each other.

BBSes confirmed for normalfag-tier.

You mean Google Groups? That's been around forever. The reality is that kids aren't interested in that stuff, in part because, beyond probably slack or some historical stuff like Scaruffi, newsgroups were only interesting because they were relevant to ourselves. Even historical fascination only goes so far. Kids these days don't have the patience to read text--especially plaintext on a monitor unsupplemented when there are far more stimulating things on that very same monitor. Er, or should I say smartphone? Since young people don't even have the luxury of enjoying an actual operating system.

Nerds like to talk and drink beer too, or even play D&D or video games together. It was much more common to get together back then because otherwise it's just you sitting by yourself alone all the time. And you can't call dialup BBS all day because you're typically only allowed 1 hour before system kicks you off, and in some places you even had to pay the phone company by the minute. Plus, you'll get unlucky sometimes and just get a busy signal.

Looks comfy. Did any of you guys play MUDs? I used to play Ancient Anguish a bit in the late 90s, where even then it was quite dated, but the novelty was of course mass multiplayer.

To my surprise, it's still running: anguish.org

MUDders/MUCKers were the first wave of Internet Cancers.

Probably not the game you are looking for, but the description of the game in a way still reminded me of STARFLIGHT.

mobygames.com/game/dos/starflight/cover-art

It's crazy how much even the box art was superior, especially in the scifi genre, to anything presented these days. I wonder why that is. No, wait, I know the answer: Back then, the people programming these things were still white males that had something of the explorer spirit left in them that made their ancestors conquer the world. Nowadays, "art" is being done by trannies and other degenerates that basically just puke their mental states on the...boxes.

Yeah, I played a lot in the late '80s and early '90s, but mainly variants of DikuMUD. I also used to work with the guy who wrote tinyfugue (you might have used it, was pretty popular). Was fucking fantastic, lots of good memories playing vidya with geniuses back when these kinds of things were off-limits to almost anyone but tech's elite. I credit hobnobbing with the early internet for the absurd rate I learned the darkest depths of tech at. I wish I could rewind the clock every day.

Kill yourself twice.

Psygnosis hired this guy for some of their box covers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dean_(artist)
He also did the japanese cover for Black Onyx on the Famicom.

Also like this Middle-earth style art. I think the artist got inspired by 80's ICE's MERP books.

Much more obvious is that art there had to be physically created, with the resultant reduction in scope for error and the imperfections and texture that come with doing that.
I feel you get a similar effect with new vehicles, where in past you'd get someone to draw the concept art or make a physical model where now you tend to just get a digital 3D model. i.e. compare and contrast these supersonic jet concepts.

Inside box art here:
mobygames.com/game/rendezvous-with-rama/cover-art

Where the hell do I get copies for old OSes like DOS and early versions of windows and mac OS?

Seems like those older GUIs offer a comfier expericence than current ones do. I was born in 1997 so I missed out on what you fags seemingly claim is the best era of computing, so I want to know what the hype is all about.

Did you try the internet?

it will never be the same again.

There is an open-source/free software DOS clone called FreeDOS. I've run it in a VM on and off for years to play old DOS games, but apparently it can be installed to real hardware, too. Dell even offered a few machines with it preinstalled.

Just use it instead of trying to track down an old version of MS-DOS or one of its variants, unless there's some specific reason a clone won't do.

freedos.org/

Cool looks interesting.

Do you have any ideas on where abouts I can download 3.1/NT/95 do you?

Here you go: winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems

>winworldpc.com/library/operating-systems
Holy fuck, user!
I didn't know you were so based!

Thank you.

Was not the same user actually.

Yeah I know.
Thanks again.

Now I have to go fishing for some generic licence keys...

man it was great having a real mp3 player when all the drones had ipods. just a flash drive with a battery and an mp3 player, drag and drop, no faggy software.

Thanks I didn't know that. Installed. :3

I wasted way too much time on that.

why would you 3dprint the save button?

Am I missing something?

:3

fag please

The shenanigans I did on those...good times.

this mp3 player was THE shit
small as fuck
overall design cute as fuck

was that a touch or a scroll-wheel? looks like a great design.

joystick

there was still room for improvement

they were made in orange

Forth confirmed master race of the galaxy.

You can edit the MBR to report whatever you want. Used to be a cool hack. Not sure if it was done in this case or with a modded drive bay.

video recorder

Actually they used to be called VCRs
Video Cassette Recorder

Just last week I finally threw out an old but functional Epson system with DOS 5 on it that had that same/almost same monitor (orange & black). Was saving it just because of how old it was but finally decided it was time.

majormud master race - there's still active boards today and a remake called greatermud which is pretty tits

100% accurate

Where the hell does a guy find those big beige PC cases?

Buy them white and allow them to discolor with age.

Professional tape duplication systems were usually referred to as VTRs in my area, T for tape, or just dubbing machines.

Craigslist and eBay, mostly.

Here's what I've been dicking around with for the past few years, albeit at an interminably slow pace.
geocities.ws/oldternet/

Neat

K7 with game for several computers.

^

well i was gonna embed but tech is gay and wont let me so here youtube.com/watch?v=WIn58XoY728

The Soviets' own technology was more advanced than the stuff they copied from us.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIR_(computer)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BESM-6

computer-museum.ru/english/algol68.htm
>One of the first implementations of Algol 68 was done in a Kiev computer-producing factory in the end of seventies for Siemens computers. Its authors are S. I. Shtitelman, M. G. Shteinbukh, L. A. Makogon. The implementation was oriented to an information management system called "START, for which Algol 68 was the only language it used. The authors of the project were interested in Algol 68 primarily as in a source of a data base language. The Kiev implementation anticipated many features of modern languages of that sort: persistent objects, an elaborated system of types, orthogonal design, a large share of interpretativity, and so on. The system of types and orthogonality were in fact due to the Algol 68 itself but the persistence feature urged for some corrections of the language. Namely an "everlasting block has been introduced, meant to preserve between the executions of the program those objects that could be used by different programs. In fact it was a data base. Some other variations were also done without any regards to the standardization efforts for Algol 68: all arrays were considered to be flexible, a control variable of a loop was long int rather than int, complex values were absent and so on. Accepted by the Working Group in 1979 this system exists no more because of replacement of hardware in the factory.

computerhistory.org/atchm/the-elbrus-2-a-soviet-era-high-performance-computer/

Why is your CPU a p8400 and yet you are running an OS build for x86?

And why 64 bit for that matter?

and look at how much ram you have installed as opposed to how much bloatware you are probablye running unkowingly

Because it's an x86-64 CPU, fuckass. Are you retarded?

I'm using systemdicks, of course it's bloated. Are you saying I should remove a bunch of my RAM for no good reason? There's no such thing as too much RAM.

Or are you saying I don't have enough? Because 4GB is enough.

just got this beauty. will make an adapter to USB for it soon

choose one

not even its final form

Love the scorch marks

if apple came out with that today, you'd all laugh at it

my
DICK

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a retro PC to replace a SB Pro compatible with OPL-3?

It's plays much smoother emulated when you can map jump to a button instead of up (which plagued nearly all of Amiga platformers, given that the lowest common denominator was to assume a single fire button which was used for the main action like shooting etc. with jumping being relegated to up). Playing it with a d-pad, two separate fire buttons (one for continuous fire, one for the circle beam thing), jump mapped to a button, and all other relevant keys mapped to buttons as well makes it a much better experience.

If he can't play with normal 1-button joystick, he's a pleb and should just stick with Mariostein 3D. Anyway I don't want anymore lamers on Amiga, there's enough already.

I don't remember much about it, but I had a computer called a "vector" (Вектор) when I was younger.

What OS did it run?

I think it was running a BASIC or BASIC-like interface. I remember getting books with the software written in it, and then typing it in or making my own.

Not him, but I'm pretty sure they were all either BASIC or CP/M clones depending on the hardware whereas 6502 clones used BASIC and Z80/8088 clones used CP/M.

What's it gonna take for the CRT to make a comeback?

Nuclear war. Or anything else that causes the complete collapse of the global supply chain.

Godly case, great mouse, awesome speakers (for their size at least), nice monitor, alright (I guess) keyboard. Overall great aesthetic atmosphere (more of an early 00s than 90s given the Audigy front panel, but still).
Hmm, some 486 DX66 with probably the smallest monitor they had around at all (its diagonal seems even smaller than the 11 inches that should be the width of the keyboard's main key block). Keyboard and mouse forgettable, but the tower case is alright (obviously nowhere near that from the first picture though).

What kind of cataclysm would make resurrecting long-dead CRT manufacturing an easier and more viable scenario than finding a way to resurrect LCD manufacturing that was available shortly before (and possibly survived to a lesser or larger extent)? You do realize how much of a logistics overhead CRTs caused with their weight, bulk and fragility? That's the main reason they were given up on as soon as the cost of manufacturing LCD screens went down (even while LCD screens were still more expensive to make, they were cheaper to handle overall because of much lower storage and transportation costs).

1st image is very comfy.

The main push behind the switch to LCD was that you could make cubicles smaller and text was easier to read for people who enter forms all day.

I was happy to get an LCD because for once the screen edges weren't warped. Efficiency and size were an added bonus.

You do realize that basically any CRT monitor had an OSD menu with controls which would allow you to unwarp it? Yes it could be a bit of a pain, but for every display mode (i.e. combination of resolution and refresh rate) you only needed to do it once. For the smaller CRTs it was fairly easy anyway, it was more of a nuisance for the larger ones (19-24 inches) as you had separate controls for the corners in addition to the normally present edge controls, and optimizing image geometry could be a bit like solving a game-of-15 puzzle (the order of adjustments was important as various controls affected one another), but with a bit of patience you only noticed imperfections afterwards if you were OCD about it.

I think you meant if apple stole it today.

GIVE
NOW

Clones of western trash computers mostly, I can't imagine why a non-former-commie would be interested. We had the original trash computers which these are clones of.

Still they enhanced the shit out of the Spectrum, kek.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIn58XoY728
I don't know how to embed and I've been here for years wtf

You like towers fam? Here's the best one.

Dunno why the image got rotated CCW 90 degrees like that when I posted. Oh well, here's the back side.

why does it need a key?

Anyone play that game?

No. It looks like a very silly game.

It doesn't, that's just a feature a lot of desktop and tower cases added at some point, probably for corporate users. But you can just ignore it.
Here's an overview of the A3000 hardware. Full 32-bit bus everywhere, in 1990. It was pretty much a workstation class machine but 10x cheaper than stuff by Sun, DEC, HP, and so on. youtube.com/watch?v=wIsIsHeiNHA
Here's what the next A3000+ revision was going to be like. Had a DSP on board, which would have been BIG back then. But corporate politics got in the way... bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=23

Why did case designs go from kino to garbage in less than 10 years? remember when apple had transparent shit?

Nice theme, mind sharing?

I think it's just almost default fvwm, and you can just pick the colors straight from the image.

fugg.
Well, it looks like almost default 5Dwm, judging by screenshots from the website so whatever.

How do CRT remember their settings anyway? Do they have some backup battery (like motherboards do for their NVRAM that holds BIOS setup settings) somewhere inside that will eventually run dry and make the monitor unable to remember anything? I seem to have at least once encountered a CRT which would lose all of its settings if left unplugged from mains for some time (also seen stereos with radio tuners which have lost the ability to remember the radio stations they were configured/tuned to).

The explosion of companies taking advantage of GUIs made for some very experimental attempts throughout the 90s. Windows 95 had at least three major revisions to the GUI before RTM.

Attached: chic34-3.png (640x480, 7.6K)

Attached: Windows420.gif (360x360, 1.58M)

I didn't have to use it "properly", but I had it installed on Win95 for some imaginary performance benefit. The transition to Win32 killed off a lot of the fun old utilities. Sunsite.fi used to host an odd archive of DOS, Win3.x and OS/2 software.

I have to agree with you about the CRTs. While I did have a couple of Trinitrons, most of the other CRTs had tons of problems. Flicker, burn-in and the annoying 15kHz whine are a good start. The screwball frequency settings for non-standard monitors was also pretty aggravating.

I think the best piece of MS hardware was the Sidewinder gamepad. It had a 15-pin sound card interface, and could be daisy chained. It even had six buttons on the front, so you could actually play Street Fighter properly.

Ah, the good old days of separating the conductors with a pen-knife.

I have two SGI Monitors, I don't have the heart to get rid of them.
I also have O2 workstations along with an O2 server.
No idea what to do with them anymore.

Early PCs didn't need that much air flow. 80386 systems and prior didn't even have heat sinks. My 486DX/33 had a tiny 0.5 cm heat sink that simply clipped on (no thermal paste) and probably would have run fine without it since I didn't overclock. The later 486DX4 chips needed fans though.

Are they in good shape? I heard collectors still pay well for SG stuff.

They weren't clones, or copies or whatever your jewish infested mind tells you it should be.

wiby.me

try this search engine if you want results from websites made in the old style (without any scripts and unnecessary bloat.). Makes you feel like your browsing the 90's web. Should work decent on an old pc also. Its a fun project I've been working on for some time now.

Attached: wiby.jpg (425x213, 14.57K)

Trash.

their first big mistake was windows ME. the nt kernel was buggy as shit back then. this also was the case for xp. then there was vista, which was buggy in literally every other way. 7 was fine but still is botnet. 8+ totally unusable.